PDA

View Full Version : What temps and how much snow to expect in Georgia in mid february?

imaginateer
12-10-2011, 12:50
I'm starting my thru hike in mid to late february and I'm wondering what degree sleeping bag to get? Perhaps a 30 degree bag with a liner to add more heat? I'm looking at 20 degree bags too but I want something that I can use the whole thruhike. I've heard that ratings can't be trusted from many companies, but that WM and FF is generally accurate.

And how much snow should I expect? Are the temps around 20 degrees?

Thanks in advance

HiKen2011
12-10-2011, 13:03
Probably some single digits a few night, teens for sure. Daytime temps in FEB. can be 35-65 degrees. As far as snow goes, the southeast is supposed to be milder temps and wetter than normal. That could relate to snow at elevation.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2011, 13:42
Even if your willing to put up with a few cold night, your going to need a much warmer bag than 30 or 20 for the mountians of NC in March. Liners help to some degree, but not much. The best bet is to get an outer bag to put your 30 degree bag into. A 50 degree bag which your 30 bag will fit into will bring you down close to zero. Then in the summer when it gets good and warm out, you can use just the 50 degree bag.

Another option is to get a down quilt to cover your 30 degree bag with. This is a fairly expensive option, but doesn't add too much bulk or wieght to the pack.

Spokes
12-10-2011, 13:47
Why not check out weather charts for various points along the entire trail? Check this link out:

http://www.trailquest.net/weather.html

Cheers!

DapperD
12-11-2011, 00:25
I'm starting my thru hike in mid to late february and I'm wondering what degree sleeping bag to get? Perhaps a 30 degree bag with a liner to add more heat? I'm looking at 20 degree bags too but I want something that I can use the whole thruhike. I've heard that ratings can't be trusted from many companies, but that WM and FF is generally accurate.

And how much snow should I expect? Are the temps around 20 degrees?

Thanks in advanceAnybody starting out in mid to late February is going to most likely experience some really cold weather. I think at least an accurately rated high quality 0 degree bag would be in order for that time of the year. Then when it warms up, buy a cheaper summer bag to use for the warmer months. If you are under equipped, then you are either going to be mighty uncomfortable, or heading into town to leave the trail where you will need to spend money for a motel room to escape the cold. Best to get a high quality warm bag to begin with:-?

BrianLe
12-11-2011, 00:54
"Even if your willing to put up with a few cold night, your going to need a much warmer bag than 30 or 20 for the mountians of NC in March."

"I think at least an accurately rated high quality 0 degree bag would be in order for that time of the year. "

FWIW, I used (and was happy with) a 20F rated bag starting in late Feb last year (2010), and it was a pretty hard, high snow year for the south as I understand it. Temps did get down into the teens a few times.

Caveats:
(1) I had a quality bag, a Western Mountaineering Ultralite, so a more reliable "20 degree" rating
(2) I wore a down parka (Montbell Alpinelight) and down booties (feathered friends) inside the bag at night. Without additional clothing, the bag would not have been warm enough for me on the colder nights

YMMV a good deal on this stuff, as has often been said before, due to personal metabolism, the particular shelter you're in (a literal fixed shelter or whatever tent or hammock or whatever), etc etc. So I don't mean to say that my approach would be "right" for everyone, but it turned out to work well for me. Then in Pearisburg I swapped for a 32F rated down bag, and that was plenty for the remainder of the trip.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-12-2011, 21:36
15 degree bag it can get pretty nasty in georgia /NC/Tenn in feb-march

lunatic
12-13-2011, 11:25
If you really want to use only one bag, you can probably go with an accurately rated 20 degree bag if you're confident you can sleep with all your clothes on and be warm - you'll end up needing to do this a few times when starting that early. I started in late Feb (2009) with a so-so 20 degree bag and, even with all my clothes on, there were several nights in the single digits and low teens - and I was completely miserable. Also, the 20 degree bag was too warm later on and I ended up sending it home in April for my 35-40 bag, which I used the rest of the way.
I'm planning on heading out from Springer again mid Feb for 2-4 weeks and I'm taking a very good 15 degree bag this time.

Serial 07
12-13-2011, 11:54
i'd be a bit more concerned about what the Smokies would be like in early march...having been there, i'd think something near a zero for max comfort...snow, shoot, it all depends...i did the BMT through there in march and snow was up to my knees...GL!

Summit
12-13-2011, 12:43
Plan for dealing with 0* temps, both sleeping bag and proper clothing. No way you can know starting out what the next six weeks' weather is going to be like. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it . . . I always say!

Razor
12-13-2011, 22:01
AS has been said , Georgia is not very predictable but will be cold. I used my 20 degree bag with my cloths and jacket and still got cold some nights. Now I use a 0 degree and it is much better. Trying to use 1 bag with a early start is asking to be cold or hot at some time ( or both during the 6 months ) You can depend on an average degree warm-up of 2 degrees per week. In other words the average says it will be 16 degrees warmer on the first week of April than the first of February --but averages are just that there are many variables during each year. Good luck

Stir Fry
12-13-2011, 22:11
I would look ant some trail jouranls from the past with about the same start date as you will be starting.

Spokes
12-13-2011, 22:58
15 degree bag it can get pretty nasty in georgia /NC/Tenn in feb-march

Agreed. There's ALWAYS some sort of major winter event in GA/NC in March. Count on it.