PDA

View Full Version : Vasque, Asolo, etc., ANY boot you prefer?

Pappa Green Jeans
03-08-2005, 15:41
I am looking at the Vasque Apex ($220), and the Asolo (about the same price).
Have you had any experience with these two? Do you have a boot you really like? Let me know.:datz God Bless.

bulldog49
03-08-2005, 16:13
I use the Vasque Sundowner (original style) and the Vasque Goretex Ranger. I like both. The listed weight is 2 lb 10 oz and 2 lb 9 oz but neither feels that heavy. Someday I will have to weigh them.

RockyTrail
03-08-2005, 16:45
Have you had any experience with these two? Do you have a boot you really like? Let me know.:datz God Bless.Don't know about Vasque, but I wish it was that easy to recommend a specific boot. My experience has been that what's good for one person's foot is not necessarily good for another's foot and it's really hard to tell.

You may have already done this, but make sure you go to a good outfitter and let them look at your feet before getting your heart set on one brand/type. Some boots have more "volume" than others and I've found certain ones just don't work for me but work great for others. Find a good outfitter and get them to help, it's really, really worth it in the long run. Just my 2 cents, best wishes in your selection...

bulldog49
03-08-2005, 16:54
Rocky, I wasn't recommending, he asked what boot we really liked and I told him.

You are absolutely correct, a shoe selection more than any other piece of gear is an individual situation. Very good advice.

SMASH
03-08-2005, 17:02
I have the fsn 95 gtx which I love, so much in fact I had them resoled recently. But as others have mentioned it's a very personal thing.

RockyTrail
03-08-2005, 17:24
Sorry Bulldog, did not mean to step on your boots:)
(I didn't see your post until after mine was already posted).

Hikerhead
03-08-2005, 20:02
I've had 3 pairs of Vasque boots. Clarions were the first and then two pairs of Sundowners. Liked all of them.

Even well known outfitters will hire people who's only job is to sell you boots. Knowlege about how boots should fit is sometimes secondary.

Make sure you can slide your fingers between your heel and the boot. If you can't, they're too small and you'll end up with black toe nails. You've got to have some room in the front of the boot.

My first pair of Sundowners, I tried on a pair 1/2 size larger than normal but then the sides of the boots had too much room. I asked if they had it in narrow and I lucked out as they did. 10 1/2 narrow. They fit perfectly.

I kept the box so that when it came time to order another pair, I would know exactly what size to get. When that time came, I went to another outfitter. He didn't have them in stock but was more than happy to order them for me.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-08-2005, 21:39
I've had very good luck with Lowa Renegades. I've worn out my second pair of GTX low cuts (Tread gone, rest of the boot virtually perfect) and have just started on a pair of mids. I found the GTX lows to be very waterproof, my basement flooded 2 years ago and I was in 2 inches of water for several hours and my socks stayed totally dry. The fit has been excellent right out of the box. The low cuts are so comfortable I wear them daily. I guess they are absolute favorites in my gear locker.

superman
03-09-2005, 07:53
Yes, it's all about how the specific boot fits your specific foot. For hikers with wider feet it can be a problem since many of the outfitters don't stock the wide sizes. I found an outfitter about 50 miles away from my house (Farm-way) that stocks my 11E size. I like Rockport and Vasque Sundowners. I've had many pairs of the Sundowners and I get about over 1000 miles out of each pair. I just bought another pair but I only buy the ones made in Italy. I've used the light weight hiking shoes but I prefer the stability and support of the leather boots. As with any item of gear don't fall in love with any of it. Be prepared to change anything as needed. Incidently, I wear Smartwool socks with no liners. I never get blisters.

Pappa Green Jeans
03-11-2005, 14:17
I've tried sundowner's and others'im done trying them on . i just wanted to know what kind you people like.

cupcake
03-11-2005, 14:54
i had a pair of asolos -- two actually, but they were returned w/very low mileage because they had a sewing defect and came apart. now, i have a pair of lowa renegades gtx --- super comfortable. i have superfeet in them too. so far i like them very much. i start walking to maine on monday, so i will report later on how they're holding up.

grrickar
03-11-2005, 15:00
I like the fit of Montrails. Each person's feet are different, so try plent of them on. I tried on Vasque, Lowa, REI, Montrail, Asolo and Zamberlans. At the end of it all, nothing fit my foot as well as the Montrails. The Asolos (which is what I went into the store to buy) felt like they put too much pressure on the top of my foot and on the sides. I don't have wide feet, but I have really high arches. That might explain some of it. I'd say go and get professionally fitted, else spend the time to try and and walk around in all of the boots a store has to offer and choose what fits best. That is what I has to do in the end, because the guy at REI had some advice to give, but really did nothing more than let me try on the boots.

Smooth03
03-11-2005, 15:28
I'm a big fan of Garmont Nagevi's. Had a pair last me over 1,000 miles on the AT.

Just my 2 cents.

Nightwalker
03-12-2005, 00:20
Have you had any experience with these two? Do you have a boot you really like? Let me know.:datz God Bless.
Anything that costs that much had better carry my pack for me!

:D

Roland
03-12-2005, 05:21
Have you had any experience with these two? Do you have a boot you really like? Let me know.:datz God Bless. Pappa Green Jeans,

Vasque and Asolo are reputable companies, producing good products. But, if I was shopping for a boot in the range you suggest, the Limmer Lightweight, in my mind, is a hands-down winner!

Because Limmer uses Norwegian welt construction, this boot can easily be re-soled, over and over again.

Good luck with your selection.

Roland

Slimer
03-12-2005, 23:09
I've got a pair of Motrail Torre GTX's its a good boot by any means, but if you plan on putting in miles day after day, I would switch to trail runners such as the Montrail Hardrock (I put over 1200 miles on them before they were shot)

Nearly Normal
03-12-2005, 23:50
I really liked the old style of Lowa renagades. The new ones are much less.
Good day or lite hikers.
pete56

Brushy Sage
03-13-2005, 10:51
When I bought my Asolos they felt better than any hiking footwear I had ever owned -- however, I kept falling down. The outfitter at Hot Springs fitted me with a pair of Columbias, and Superfeet inserts. They didn't feel as good as the Asolos at first, but they have proved to be really good and reliable footwear. I still wear them (almost three years later) when I hike and/or do trail maintenance.