PDA

View Full Version : Question on March hiking in PA

theurbansuburban
03-08-2005, 15:46
It seems to be because of a little ground hogimages/smilies/mad.gif there is a possibility of cold weather durring my planed hike March 19th - 23rd. Since I've almost always gone hiking in 90º weather I don't know alot about back packing in colder weather. Does any body have any advise on staying staying warm in the cold? Does water from springs freeze in subfreezing temperatures, how likely is the water in my water bottles freezing? Anything Special to worry about when hiking through snow? Any advice on staying conforatble while hiking?

I'm going from PA rt 309 SOBO to PA rt 183 doing it in 4 nights. If anybody has any specific advice on this area, or interesting in joining me and my friend I'm open for advice

Nean
03-08-2005, 16:27
Done a bit of the cold stuff. Layers of course but try not to be so bundled up that you sweat. keep a dry set of sleepin clothes. keep boots and socks wrapped up in sleepingbag at night along with water bottles, battery devices, lighter, isobu-fuel. If you have a nalgene, make yourself a boiling hot water bottle, slip it in a sock and stay toasty! Also, my dog and i became very close after one unexpected storm. those handwarmer packets work too.

Palmer
03-08-2005, 16:56
I've done that section in winter, and the only advice that I would offer (other than to pack warm clothes) is to be careful when going over rocky terrain. There are some pretty rocky sections through there, and if the rocks get wet or icy it can be dangerous if you're not careful. Just take your time and you should be O.K.

stupe
03-08-2005, 19:25
In addition to the good advice above, eat lots of high calorie food, more fat than usual. You burn a lot of calories just staying warm. Eat a meal or a big snack before bed time. Bring extra fuel.
I use a water filter religiously, unless I am forced to melt snow or ice. I keep my Katadan filter hanging on a cord around my neck, under my outermost layer, and keep it in my sleeping bag at night, in a zip lock. They just don't work when frozen.
Treking poles are essential. Those spikey things you strap on your boots are great, too.

c.coyle
03-08-2005, 21:42
I'm going from PA rt 309 SOBO to PA rt 183 doing it in 4 nights. If anybody has any specific advice on this area, or interesting in joining me and my friend I'm open for advice

Pretty rocky stretch, especially 309 to Eckville (Hawk Mountain Road). Plan on cutting your usual mileage by a third to a half if you hit ice and snow. I'd leave the trail runners at home and wear substantial boots.

Toolshed
03-09-2005, 11:03
Having hiked that section a couple of times in winter conditions when I lived in Allentown area, I agree with C.Coyle on the heavier boots, as well as a sturdy set of hiking poles. I hit a tiny patch of black ice and took a fall once over near pulpit rock and those rocks hurt.

It will also slow you down substantially.
While 2001 & 2002 were abnormally warm in early March, years since then have been quite cold and the long term weather forecast doesn;t show signs of abatement this year.. You might want to alos scrap the water filter and bring tablets, as some filters are irreparably damaged due to freezingwater crystals.

Keep your water bottles upside down in your pack, if you have nalgenes plan on filling them with boiling water and putting them in your sleeping bag 1/2 hour or so before turning in (do this at home first to see if they leak).

I'm sorry, I cannot help you on springs as I don't remember which springs are in the area. However, what I have done in the winter, is break up sheets of ice that I collect around rocks (Always seems to be more ice than snow there) and melt them in my pot with a little water.

c.coyle
03-09-2005, 18:42
... I hit a tiny patch of black ice and took a fall once over near pulpit rock and those rocks hurt. ...

Yup. The more I think about it, 309 to Eckville, even in beautiful weather, is a miserable stretch.

Panzer1
03-09-2005, 19:00
Handwarmers work great in the sleeping bag this time of year.
I bring the Jon-e liquid kind as well as the packets. I don't trust the packets 100% because if they get a pin hole they will go dead and then you will go cold. That happened to me before. The Jon-e has never failed at temps down to 15 degrees. Jon-e will help keep you warm and cozy.

Panzer

Panzer1
03-09-2005, 19:12
PS
The stretch between 309 and Eckville really sucks big time.
I would not want to cross those rocks if they have ice on them.
I believe the section north of 309 is not as bad.

With all the rain and snow we have had, finding water should not be a problem.

Panzer

theurbansuburban
03-09-2005, 20:39
Thanks for all the advise so far.
I already normally use tablets so i don't have to worry about the filter.

If the temperatures are going down below freezing do you leave water in water bottles filled in your pack over night (besides the toasty one you keep in your sleeping bag)?
Can the plastics of Camel Backs handle prolonged temperatures that low and the expantion of freezing water?
If water does freeze solid in a nalgiene what do you do, what if the temps never get warm enough for it to fully thaw?
Springs never freeze right?
And are alcohol (soda can) stoves reliable in temps this low or should I plan on using my white gas?

Nean
03-09-2005, 21:17
I keep all my water at the bottom of my bag. Never seen a spring freeze. If your nalgene freezes Do Not try to break the cap free by banging it on something, submerge in hot water. Say hi to Lazee when you get to eckville. The trail is always beautiful- depending on how you see it and, wear a warm hat. Keep your alcohol in your bag too!

Panzer1
03-09-2005, 21:21
| If the temperatures are going down below freezing do you leave water in | water bottles filled in your pack over night (besides the toasty one you | keep in your sleeping bag)?

You don't really have much of a problem at around 32 degrees. It's when temps go well below that, say about 15-20 degrees that water bottles start to freeze up over night. You probably will find these cold temps this time of year where you are going.

If it is really cold, say around 15 degrees and if water is readly available, then I just pour out the unneeded water, saving only enough water to last thru the night.

If water is scarce then I put all of my water in the foot of my sleeping bag, making very sure that it does not leak. Watch very closely that it does not leak.

Another trick I tried is to put the nalgene water bottle in my boot in an upright position so it can't leak and put a hand warmer packet in the toe of the boot. As long as it dosen't get too cold (say above 15 degrees) this will work.

Also, keep in mind that everything will freeze. Food such as apples, peanut butter and jelly, tunafish, mayonnaise packets, ketchup packets, hot dogs, also: toothpaste, bateries, water filters, shampoo, antibotic ointment, ect...

Hope that helps.

Panzer

whcobbs
03-16-2005, 15:01
urbansuburban--
Two winters ago I did the AT Port Clinton Sobo to 225 (Susquehanna, almost), starting 15 Jan. Overnight temps in the shelters were single digits, snow never deeper than 18". I wore full leather hiking boots, neoprene socks, sheet metal screw hobnails in the soles (which pulled out). Icy footing was not a severe problem. All springs were running freely at about 43 d Fand accessible, except Phillips Canyon (dry). The small streams were mostly frozen, but probably will not be now. Wool socks or other clothing will insulate water bottles for enough time to get to the next spring. The hike was most enjoyable, but be aware that some of the shelter-to-shelter distances may stretch you a bit with winter conditions.
Walt

Happypappy
03-16-2005, 18:22
We haven't had a snowfall in about a week and a half around the 183 area, and the daytime temps have been reaching the upper 30's and low 40's for the last few days, but the nights have been getting down into the low 20's or less. There is still snow laying in some spots in the lowlands but not very much. On the higher elevations of the Blue Mountain, there will be some spots shaded by trees where you may find some substantial snow. Ice is still a concern, especially in the early and late times of day.
Happypappy

magic_game03
03-16-2005, 20:15
THIS IS A WARNING!

the section between 309 and Allentown shelter is: great
the section between Allentown shelter and Eckville shelter is: HELL
the section between Eckville shelter and 183 is: great

that 6-7 mile stretch was hit by a massive ice storm about a month or so ago and I crap you not there is more than a thousand blow downs in there. this is just a warning that it will take a very long time to traverse that section. also for some reason there is quite a few snow drifts and they are tough. else the rest of 309-183 is in great shape.

ps. it would be easy to clear if you had a machette because most of the stuff is small branches but with a backpack and about a foot of snow it is like traveling bushwack style through scrub brush.
pps. all springs are flowing fine.
ppps. I don't know what 'nean' is talking about :-? but I give you my permission and my word that popping your frozen nalgene (plastic not lexan) on a rock or tree is just fine if your cap is frozen tight. been poppin caps for 70 plus days now and no problems.