PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Gathering July 2012?

peasantgirl
12-11-2011, 18:42
Hi all, I have been away from WB for a while but I just read something that said next year's Annual Rainbow Gathering would be somewhere on the AT. I searched here but couldn't find anything about it. Does anyone have any details on this?

d.o.c
12-11-2011, 18:50
there might be a smaller regional one but next year will be on the big island of Hawaii

Pedaling Fool
12-11-2011, 18:51
And people fret over sunflower seeds on the trail:D

d.o.c
12-11-2011, 18:52
i always say "dont panic its organic"

peasantgirl
12-11-2011, 18:57
there might be a smaller regional one but next year will be on the big island of Hawaii

Not according to this...
http://www.jcdaytona.org/missions/rainbow/

Bloomer
12-11-2011, 19:03
search for ....
Rainbow family of Living Light

Bloomer
12-11-2011, 19:07
The 2012 annual Gathering will be someplace in the White Mountains, Tennesse, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia, or Virginia. This link contains all the information I have on the 2012 on this page (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sites/annual-site.html) gathering, and will be updated as I get more information

Lone Wolf
12-11-2011, 19:28
Hi all, I have been away from WB for a while but I just read something that said next year's Annual Rainbow Gathering would be somewhere on the AT. oh dear god. i hope not. i thought they was at the wall street thingy?

bamboo bob
12-11-2011, 19:35
Is the Rainbow Gathering the same as Rainbow People. I hiked through a whole lot of Rainbow People. They were funny hippie wannabees. The seemed harmless but were not very nice to mother nature. That was in 2004, maybe they're better now. Mostly kids, looked like runaways getting high and what not. A few older people but not many.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2011, 19:45
Is the Rainbow Gathering the same as Rainbow People. I hiked through a whole lot of Rainbow People. They were funny hippie wannabees. The seemed harmless but were not very nice to mother nature. That was in 2004, maybe they're better now. Mostly kids, looked like runaways getting high and what not. A few older people but not many.same folks. they trash every place they gather

d.o.c
12-11-2011, 19:55
oh well i just remember a freind talking bout going to hawaii soon for a gathering. figured that was the one.

Mags
12-11-2011, 22:11
The year I did the CDT, a Rainbow Gathering was held in the NF lands just north of Steamboat Springs just prior to many thru-hikers coming through the area.

Steamboat is a major resupply stop for many CDT hikers.

In case, even 2-3 months later, the NF lands were TRASHED. There was even a full on EconoLine Van in the middle of the woods with old clothing, food, cassette tapes, etc.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9460043/detail.html

AND, it made hitching into town even more difficult. Pretty sure some of the locals though we were leftovers from The Gathering.

:O

Maren
12-11-2011, 22:18
I covered a Rainbow Gathering once, and this news just doesn't thrill me. Thousands of people camping for an extended time in an already high-use area sounds disastrous. If you'd like an idea of what hikers have to look forward to here's the piece I wrote: http://alibi.com/feature/28435/Somewhere-Under-the-Rainbow.html

Sailing_Faith
12-11-2011, 23:06
Maren,

Thank you for posting this link to the article, I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks,

I covered a Rainbow Gathering once, and this news just doesn't thrill me. Thousands of people camping for an extended time in an already high-use area sounds disastrous. If you'd like an idea of what hikers have to look forward to here's the piece I wrote: http://alibi.com/feature/28435/Somewhere-Under-the-Rainbow.html

Lone Wolf
12-12-2011, 01:17
And people fret over sunflower seeds on the trail:Dyeah really
http://sustainablethoughtbox.wordpress.com/

Sailing_Faith
12-12-2011, 03:11
yeah really
http://sustainablethoughtbox.wordpress.com/

Wow.

With the kind of numbers in that article, they should not even need signs... ought to be able to follow one's nose.

....So let’s add it all up:
23.14 tons of feces
22,222 gallons of urine (82.74 tons)
120 TONS OF TRASH
6 miles of compacted soil
18,900 tampons (0.87 ton)
3840 diapers (0.48 ton)
1/2 TON of soiled toilet paper
937.5 gallons of used toothpaste (3.26 tons)
937.5 gallons of soap (3.26 tons)
3,750 gallons of bleach (13.03 tons)
151.2 pounds of cigarette butts (0.06 ton)
1.82 tons of animal feces
Over 6 days, the Rainbows will deposit around 249.16 tons of waste in the Santa Fe National Forest.
That’s almost 250 TONS of WASTE just to pray for peace?????
Is all this harm to the environment really worth getting this many people together for a few minutes?
That is indisputably a huge footprin....

Hoofit
12-12-2011, 07:39
If all these waste items could be trashed properly and shipped out, all it would leave would be a compacted footprint, which, if it was held in a large field, could be turned over and reused for crops.
These things have to be planned out better fior the benefit of the community.
The waste is going to happen , just not all in one place, these are everyday waste items.
Sure don't want to see the trail, which so many of us care about, get desecrated in this way to supposedly promote some kind of love and togetherness.

nitewalker
12-12-2011, 08:39
And people fret over sunflower seeds on the trail:D

thats too funny. before i even read your poist i thought the same think. great minds think alike......

Rocket Jones
12-12-2011, 08:51
As long as they use quiet stoves... ;)

Lone Wolf
12-12-2011, 08:59
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103809/hippie-infestation

Lone Wolf
12-12-2011, 09:29
Is the Rainbow Gathering the same as Rainbow People. I hiked through a whole lot of Rainbow People. They were funny hippie wannabees. The seemed harmless but were not very nice to mother nature. That was in 2004, maybe they're better now. Mostly kids, looked like runaways getting high and what not. A few older people but not many.http://www.theshrubbery.com/0499/trust.html

bamboo bob
12-12-2011, 14:23
http://www.theshrubbery.com/0499/trust.html Yup That's them.

generoll
12-12-2011, 16:43
sort of a cleaned up version of Traildays. Wait, have they heard of the camping available right next to the town? Spread the word!

restless
12-12-2011, 17:28
I would imagine the if the Gathering were to be held ON the AT, the National Park Service would be all over it. There are only a few locales directly on the AT that could accomadate that number of people. My guess would be either KY or WV as both places have had gatherings in the past. If it is held on the AT, I hope everyone on this site would voice enough complaints. The AT doesn't need to be trashed anymore than it already is.

restless
12-12-2011, 17:32
sort of a cleaned up version of Traildays. Wait, have they heard of the camping available right next to the town? Spread the word!

Uhhh....Gene..."cleaned up"?....have you ever been to a Rainbow Gathering? Between the two, give me hikers any day.

generoll
12-12-2011, 19:38
damn Jim, I was hoping for a response from LW. Didn't know you were monitoring the thread.

restless
12-12-2011, 22:21
damn Jim, I was hoping for a response from LW. Didn't know you were monitoring the thread.

Sorry....my bad!!!

Lone Wolf
12-12-2011, 22:35
i ain't got nuthin' to add to the discussion other than rainbow types are listless, clueless, smelly dopers

AndyB
12-13-2011, 10:23
i ain't got nuthin' to add to the discussion other than rainbow types are listless, clueless, smelly dopers

ugh , so they're like thru hikers but more political?..I bunch of outa work mid level managers should "occupy" their Gathering. The Hills of West Virginny is a good place for them. They would fill the entire Trail standing sandal to sandal wouldn't they? Honestly just the thought of these types turns my stomach.

AndyB
will be monitoring the situation

Mike2012
12-13-2011, 10:28
ugh , so they're like thru hikers but more political?..I bunch of outa work mid level managers should "occupy" their Gathering. The Hills of West Virginny is a good place for them. They would fill the entire Trail standing sandal to sandal wouldn't they? Honestly just the thought of these types turns my stomach.

AndyB
will be monitoring the situation

From what you wrote it sounds like you aren't too fond of thru hikers.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2011, 10:40
From what you wrote it sounds like you aren't too fond of thru hikers.i know i'm not. section hikers are much better to deal with

Mike2012
12-13-2011, 10:44
i know i'm not. section hikers are much better to deal with

I hate to be prejudged so I'll just hike on through.

Gray Blazer
12-13-2011, 11:47

Like.......

Hikemor
12-13-2011, 11:52
Rainbow Gatherings are typically (exclusively?) held on National Forest lands in fairly remote locales. They have, thus far, avoided a lot of control by the NFS. NFS rules and regs are alot less strict than the NPS so I think anywhere too close to the AT would be out.

AndyB
12-13-2011, 14:03
i know i'm not. section hikers are much better to deal with

Anything/everything I say is said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. My opinions should be taken lightly and advice with copious grains of salt.

Hoofit
12-13-2011, 14:25
It is a shame that people aren't judged on their own merit more often instead of being categorised and filed away as 'all the same' !
What bull!
Some people need to get out more often and open their eyes
Too many right-wingers here for my taste

bamboo bob
12-13-2011, 14:38
It is a shame that people aren't judged on their own merit more often instead of being categorised and filed away as 'all the same' !
What bull!

I think you're grouping and categorising this forum a bit. Most of us tend to be more individualistic I think and less communal is all. But not exclusively and not even consistently.

Sailing_Faith
12-13-2011, 14:41
What bull!

And today's Irony award goes to.. :)

... it's all good man.

Pedaling Fool
12-13-2011, 14:44
I'm a lefty that's always confused for a righty:)

generoll
12-13-2011, 15:05
well said....

Hoofit
12-13-2011, 18:04
How 'ironic' that some of the very people that have hiked the most miles on the AT profess to dislike the people that hike the most miles on the AT.........

Lone Wolf
12-13-2011, 18:08
How 'ironic' that some of the very people that have hiked the most miles on the AT profess to dislike the people that hike the most miles on the AT.........yes, very ironic

Bloomer
12-13-2011, 18:29
How 'ironic' that some of the very people that have hiked the most miles on the AT profess to dislike the people that hike the most miles on the AT.........

Steal Your Face Right Off Your Head......

kzirk
05-02-2012, 18:32
Hi all, I have been away from WB for a while but I just read something that said next year's Annual Rainbow Gathering would be somewhere on the AT. I searched here but couldn't find anything about it. Does anyone have any details on this?

Welcome Home!

While it's true the annual gathering of the tribes is taking place somewhere in White Mountain National Forest (in the Northeast), or the Appalachian states of Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia. For information on how and when a site is selected, click here. (http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-will-gathering-be-in-2012.html)

I'm not involved in scouting, but if you're interested in the progress, feel free to visit http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/ or http://www.welcomehome.org.

Generally the spots we pick for gatherings are used for logging, cattle/sheep grazing, or were once used for these purposes. We generally go to spots that are of the beaten track. While sometimes the gathering is within a few hours hike of a major hiking trail (New Mexico 2009 comes to mind), I can't imagine that the annual gathering would ever happen smack dab on the AT or the Pacific Crest Trail for that matter.

However, any person on the planet can create a "rainbow gathering" and all gatherings are not created equal. But, the annual gathering which takes place over the 4th of July prefers to happen as far away from other things as we can find. The one exception that I can think of is West Virgina in 2005 when the United States Forest Service forced use to use a site they wanted us on (long story). Our original site was off the beaten track.

Love,
Karin

Pedaling Fool
05-02-2012, 20:54
Welcome Home!

While it's true the annual gathering of the tribes is taking place somewhere in White Mountain National Forest (in the Northeast), or the Appalachian states of Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia. For information on how and when a site is selected, click here. (http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-will-gathering-be-in-2012.html)

I'm not involved in scouting, but if you're interested in the progress, feel free to visit http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/ or http://www.welcomehome.org.

Generally the spots we pick for gatherings are used for logging, cattle/sheep grazing, or were once used for these purposes. We generally go to spots that are of the beaten track. While sometimes the gathering is within a few hours hike of a major hiking trail (New Mexico 2009 comes to mind), I can't imagine that the annual gathering would ever happen smack dab on the AT or the Pacific Crest Trail for that matter.

However, any person on the planet can create a "rainbow gathering" and all gatherings are not created equal. But, the annual gathering which takes place over the 4th of July prefers to happen as far away from other things as we can find. The one exception that I can think of is West Virgina in 2005 when the United States Forest Service forced use to use a site they wanted us on (long story). Our original site was off the beaten track.

Love,
Karin

These gatherings seem to have a reputation (and then some) of what you lamented about in one of your blogs http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/

"Family,

You broke my heart in Washington. I have never seen so many people with so little consciousness for the sensitivity of creeks. Creeks provide water for animals in the area and spawning grounds for fish. Creeks are the heart of the ecosystem. Some years we use creek water for drinking and cooking (after boiling or filtering of course). When folks disrespect the creek, they disrespect the land on which we gather as well as the heart of the gathering itself.

In many places, when silt gets into the creek it covers trout and salmon eggs preventing the fish from hatching. Now not everyone was an unconscious as a cow, but there were enough of you ****ers out there to damage the creek. By the 4th of July, the water that had been crystal clear grew murky. People trampled up the banks. Dogs wrestled in the creek and dug along the creek. After every rainfall with exposed dirt, more mud and silt flows into the creek further damaging those beautiful creeks. Plus what ever gets spilled on the ground can seep through the soil into the creek when we are too close."

fiddlehead
05-02-2012, 21:25
Sitting here wondering how many of the judges on here have been to a rainbow gathering.
I've been to 2, and they were so different.
First one was while I was hiking the PCT in '96 and it was very close to the trail.
So, a few of us went there for 2 days and it was a fun, and learning experience with some cool and some not so cool people.
Then, a few years later, on my way out west for my CDT hike, I stopped at one in Arkansas.
What a difference.
This second one was mostly drinking, by young, irresponsible, less-educated, low society folks that seemed to be in a constant battle with the nearby law enforcement folks.
I not only had a bad time, but was amazed at how they dis-respected the land and the cops were searching everyone and, well, I got out of there fast.

I think it depends on the quality of the leaders and the quality of the participants.
I've heard of great gatherings in Australia.

I'm not committed to saying these gatherings are a good or bad thing.
As most things in life, it depends on the situation and the folks who make it happen.

I imagine those commenting have been to at least one Rainbow gathering and judge based on that experience.

Pedaling Fool
05-03-2012, 08:37
No judging here. I'm just fascinated by evolution; virtually everything you read about this movement and the gatherings it's all a bunch of talk about everyone being equal and living completely opposite of today's world of big govt... However, you can see a govt forming due to the problems over the years of these gatherings. I just find that very interesting -- I just like evolution :)

You can actually see them becoming what they are trying to avoid. All they are doing is reinventing the wheel.

BTW, your observation, "I think it depends on the quality of the leaders...", is exactly against their principles, but you're right and it seems as if in Karin's Blog she's attempting to fill that void.

I just can't help but to think about the parallels in this movement and the evolution of govt as we transitioned from hunter/gahterer groups to an agricultural society.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2012, 09:21
there's been some talk of rainbowers coming to damascus for trail days. oughta be interesting if'n they do. the new dogs will need the practice :cool:

Tipi Walter
05-03-2012, 14:53
Sitting here wondering how many of the judges on here have been to a rainbow gathering.
I've been to 2, and they were so different.

I'm not committed to saying these gatherings are a good or bad thing.
As most things in life, it depends on the situation and the folks who make it happen.

I imagine those commenting have been to at least one Rainbow gathering and judge based on that experience.

I agree. There's a knee-jerk howling against the Rainbows by people who have never attended a Rainbow, either a regional or a national. For years I supported the rights of humans (and rainbows) to gather in our national forests, but lately I've come to the conclusion that humans are basically pigs and should probably not cluster together in large numbers anywhere and especially on what's left of our wild lands. Cities are bad enough so why set up a city inside a forest for a week or two? If you've seen one pile of toilet paper strewn turds you've seen enough. And don't forget The Rap whereby a stranger will walk up to you at a gathering and blabber on and on over some perceived insight or illumination. Drainbows.

The best gatherings are small regional affairs and NC used to have some good ones below Sams Knob in Shining Rock called the Katuah gatherings.

But my point is that the uninformed criticize the rainbows and yet have little or nothing to say about the gatherings in America which have seriously gone out of control---cities. At least the rainbows don't set up concrete parking lots and sprawling developments and open pit coal mines. If hikers are worried about rainbow land impact they'd be much better off trying to stop near constant jet overflights and the sour air pollution in the TN valley, including the Smokies.

LDog
05-03-2012, 17:22
... If hikers are worried about rainbow land impact they'd be much better off trying to stop near constant jet overflights and the sour air pollution in the TN valley, including the Smokies.

Testify brother!

generoll
05-03-2012, 18:13
there's been some talk of rainbowers coming to damascus for trail days. oughta be interesting if'n they do. the new dogs will need the practice :cool:

could be a real money maker for the county if they plan ahead and lease some jail space in neighboring counties.

peasantgirl
06-20-2012, 15:32
Here's an update for anyone who might be curious:

Looks like it's going to be on S. Holston Lake in NE Tenn. Close to Little Oak Rec. Area, to be more precise. Geographically "nearby" to the AT but I wouldn't call it close. But I haven't hiked that part of the trail so my definition of "close" could be wrong. Here's the best map I could find:
http://appalachiangathering2012.blogspot.com/2012/06/howdy-folks.html

Lone Wolf
06-20-2012, 16:06
it's about 5 miles from the AT

generoll
06-26-2012, 19:31
did my good deed du jour. I picked up a hiker headed back to the AT in Hiawassee. I told him about the Rainbow Gathering and how I thought his best way of hitchhiking to it. He got pretty excited and was making notes as I dropped him off at Dicks Creek.

JJJ
06-26-2012, 21:06
It's at the intersection of the Josiah Trail and the Flatwood Trail on Holston Mt. a few miles from the Double Spring Shelter about 18 miles south of Damascus. The regional tribe annual event is now in progress but lots of Rainbows from all over are already showing up. It is, as LW said, about 5 miles from the AT.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2012, 21:09
too bad drugs are a major part of it

generoll
06-26-2012, 21:56
on standby for 991 calls from the Gathering are you?

generoll
06-26-2012, 21:56
or rather 911 calls

Montana AT05
06-26-2012, 22:18
:banana

"This is the dawning of the Age of Malaria
The Age of Malaria
Malaria! Malaria!"

:banana