PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Appalachian Trail

Lemni Skate
12-11-2011, 22:10
I was thinking about trying to put together a spreadsheet with a lot of possible blue blazes to the AT. Different ways you can hike from Springer to Katahdin by using alternate trails that leave the trail and then hook back in at some other point. For example: Take the Benton MacKaye trail first instead of the AT. Use the Tuscarora trail instead of the standard NOVA/WV/MD/SOPA route. Shorter hunks of trail might be used in other places like the Virginia Creeper Trail near Damascus. It would be cool to figure out how you could hike trails from Springer to Katahdin but actually use as little of the AT as possible.

It might be fun for a flip-flopper to return to his starting point without retracing all his steps or for anyone who's not a purist to know where there might be alternatives that might interest them more than the official trail.

I would appreciate anyone posting suggested alternative trail and interesting things about them would be appreciated.

Hooch
12-11-2011, 22:14
Talk to Lone Wolf. Problem solved.

Lemni Skate
12-11-2011, 22:17
I'm sending him a PM now.

burger
12-11-2011, 23:14
I was thinking about this today (mostly because I think that the routing and construction of the AT suck in a lot of places). In MA/CT, heading NOBO, you can pick up the South Taconic Trail just before Sages Ravine and take it up to near Jug End. There are a few options for reconnecting with the AT. The STT is more scenic and easier than the AT over this section.

Sly
12-11-2011, 23:29
Get a set of maps. You'll be able to pick out lots of alternates including forest roads and lesser trails.

Lemni Skate
12-12-2011, 07:41
I've got the maps. I guess what I'm looking for from you guys is the scoop on what are the GOOD alternatives. A hike that goes by a landfill might not be as appealing as one that goes by 4 waterfalls.

Lemni Skate
12-12-2011, 07:42
I know the Mau-Har trail near Three Ridges in Virginia is a beautiful and oft-used alternative.

ki0eh
12-12-2011, 11:05
These assume SOBO

Just south of Duncannon you could cut over the Tuscarora Trail and either take it back to SNP south of the rollercoaster, or continue on the Headwaters and Allegheny trails to near Pearisburg (although you would need either a shuttle or a roadwalk alternate around a gap in ALT at I-64). Tuscarora will have a lot more rocks in southern PA than the A.T. Most of this is part of Great Eastern Trail. An interim cut-over would be the Chesapeake & Ohio canal towpath trail between Hancock, MD and opposite Harpers Ferry.

If you have a good bit of tolerance for roadwalking and looking for more rocks too, you could head up Long Path (or its alternate, Shawangunk Ridge Trail) to Finger Lakes Trail and take it west to Crystal Hills Trail south to Mid State Trail and either Greenwood Spur of MST to Standing Stone Trail to Tuscarora Trail as above, or continue on MST to Great Eastern Trail in Green Ridge SF then east on the C&O towpath to Hancock to the Tuscarora, or down to opposite Harpers. This will add a lot more waterfalls and also some gas fracking sites, skipping the A.T. from southern NY (or High Point NJ) down to Harpers, SNP, or Pearisburg.

Cookerhiker
12-12-2011, 12:32
If you're willing to do some hitchhiking or shuttling between trails, you could also incorporate the Allegheny Trail. Its southern terminus is a junction with the AT on Allegheny Mountain north of Pearisburg. The northern terminus is the WV/PA border about 30 miles east of Morgantown. You could get a shuttle to the Mid-State trail to hike to northern PA and get yourself to the Finger Lakes Trail to hike east.

The Weasel
12-12-2011, 14:46
Well, you start at Springer, and turn left in Maryland onto the American Discovery Trail, and pick up the Buckeye Trail in Ohio. Then go back east on the NCT, up to Crown Point, NY, a little bushwhacking (local trails mostly exist) from there to the Long Trail, and then to the AT.

Kind of a long blue blaze, but possible.

TW

burger
12-12-2011, 15:13
Another one for NOBOs in NJ/NY: at High Point in NJ, get off the AT and take the Shawangunk Ridge Trail north to Long Path on Wurtsboro Ridge. Take the Long Path southeasterlyish to the AT at Harriman SP. Apparently, there's a lot of road-walking from I-84 to the thruway, but it's been done plenty of times.

burger
12-12-2011, 15:21
I think it's funny that alternate routes are so frowned on in the AT community. On the PCT, almost everyone takes at least a few alternate routes (like the Eagle Creek Trail or the JMT), and the guidebooks really encourage you to take others like the Oregon Skyline Trail. The CDT is practically all alternates. But you don't hear a lot of discussion about alternate routes on the AT. That's kind of sad since there are a lot of nice places to see off the AT. And unlike the PCT or CDT, where finishing is constrained by weather, the typical AT thru-hiker has plenty of extra time to do alternates.

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 15:38
I think it's funny that alternate routes are so frowned on in the AT community. On the PCT, almost everyone takes at least a few alternate routes (like the Eagle Creek Trail or the JMT), and the guidebooks really encourage you to take others like the Oregon Skyline Trail. The CDT is practically all alternates. But you don't hear a lot of discussion about alternate routes on the AT. That's kind of sad since there are a lot of nice places to see off the AT. And unlike the PCT or CDT, where finishing is constrained by weather, the typical AT thru-hiker has plenty of extra time to do alternates.its actually part of the reason i had decided to do the AT in 2 parts instead of straight thru. I first hit the trail in NH in 1976 on franconia ridge, and I fell in love with the white mountains, have been exploring up the ever since. I had felt the NOBOs id met were rushing through some of the most beautiful terrain ive hiked,and that somehow they were missing out,although they probably thought the same of me.
You can blue blaze in my book, it still qualifies for a man patch.

tdoczi
12-12-2011, 15:39
Another one for NOBOs in NJ/NY: at High Point in NJ, get off the AT and take the Shawangunk Ridge Trail north to Long Path on Wurtsboro Ridge. Take the Long Path southeasterlyish to the AT at Harriman SP. Apparently, there's a lot of road-walking from I-84 to the thruway, but it's been done plenty of times.

thats more like 2/3rd of a big loop than a true alternate. a more interesting idea would be following the SRT/LP all the way to the natural end of the ridge line near new paltz and then somehow working your way east to the AT somewhere in MA. doubt many trails up there exist though. ive often wondered though why that isnt the actual route of the AT. i imagine an insistence on going through what si now bear mountain and harriman state park had something to do with it. that or even back then new paltz was a big dead end.

tdoczi
12-12-2011, 15:44
thats more like 2/3rd of a big loop than a true alternate. a more interesting idea would be following the SRT/LP all the way to the natural end of the ridge line near new paltz and then somehow working your way east to the AT somewhere in MA. doubt many trails up there exist though. ive often wondered though why that isnt the actual route of the AT. i imagine an insistence on going through what si now bear mountain and harriman state park had something to do with it. that or even back then new paltz was a big dead end.

correction, itd be more likely CT, not MA. kent and new paltz are about 45 winding drive miles away.

The Weasel
12-12-2011, 15:47
Bill Bryson messed it up a lot by bragging "I hiked the Appalachian Trail" when he blue blazed and didn't come close to completing it. There was (and is) a lot of resentment over that, possibly resulting in some over-zealous feelings about "pure" hikes.

TW

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 15:48
thats more like 2/3rd of a big loop than a true alternate. a more interesting idea would be following the SRT/LP all the way to the natural end of the ridge line near new paltz and then somehow working your way east to the AT somewhere in MA. doubt many trails up there exist though. ive often wondered though why that isnt the actual route of the AT. i imagine an insistence on going through what si now bear mountain and harriman state park had something to do with it. that or even back then new paltz was a big dead end. the very first stretch of AT was at Bear mtn.the shawangunk ridge is separate from the Appalachians, which I would think is the primary reason the AT doesnt go that way.and the catskills north of the gunks arent even mountains, its technically a plateau.

weary
12-12-2011, 16:19
I think it's funny that alternate routes are so frowned on in the AT community. On the PCT, almost everyone takes at least a few alternate routes (like the Eagle Creek Trail or the JMT), and the guidebooks really encourage you to take others like the Oregon Skyline Trail. The CDT is practically all alternates. But you don't hear a lot of discussion about alternate routes on the AT. That's kind of sad since there are a lot of nice places to see off the AT. And unlike the PCT or CDT, where finishing is constrained by weather, the typical AT thru-hiker has plenty of extra time to do alternates.
The reason is simple. The AT is the most publicized trail in the world. Many who hike it don't have a love for long distance hiking. Too many attempt the AT just to say they have hiked that 2170 miles that is so much talked and written about. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy adds to the fervor for a "pure" hike by offering a 2000 miler certificate suitable for framing to anyone who seriously completes a hike following all the white blazes.

On my 1993 long walk, I took all the side trails and loop trails to scenic overlooks, waterfalls, historical places and other promising attractions, thus becoming ineligible for a certificate.

I think the ATC needs to rethink it's certificate. Anyone who walks between Springer Mountain and Katahdin and stays off roads and mostly within the designated trail corridor should be eligible.

burger
12-12-2011, 16:45
I think the ATC needs to rethink it's certificate. Anyone who walks between Springer Mountain and Katahdin and stays off roads and mostly within the designated trail corridor should be eligible.I totally agree. The ALDHA-West, who give out the "official" triple crown awards, allow for reasonable alternatives as long as they're on foot. The ATC should do the same or just leave it up to the hiker to decide if they've completed a "thru-hike" or not.

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 16:47
that would put an end to the shaeffer debate.

tdoczi
12-12-2011, 17:40
the very first stretch of AT was at Bear mtn.the shawangunk ridge is separate from the Appalachians, which I would think is the primary reason the AT doesnt go that way.and the catskills north of the gunks arent even mountains, its technically a plateau.

in NY its the shawagunk ridge
in NJ its the kitattinny ridge
in PA its blue mountain

they are all the EXACT same mountain and the AT is very much on it for hundreds of miles. not sure where you got the idea its not the appalachians from. the tuscarora trail at least in part continues down blue mountain from just south of duncannon (the AT leaves blue mountain north of duncannon but then crosses back over it briefly south of duncannon)

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 17:58
in NY its the shawagunk ridge
in NJ its the kitattinny ridge
in PA its blue mountain

they are all the EXACT same mountain and the AT is very much on it for hundreds of miles. not sure where you got the idea its not the appalachians from. the tuscarora trail at least in part continues down blue mountain from just south of duncannon (the AT leaves blue mountain north of duncannon but then crosses back over it briefly south of duncannon)
i stand corrected, you're absolutely right, i had forgotten the kitattinnies were part of the AT, but if I remember correctly the kitattinnys and shawangunk ridges were a different part of geologic history than the rest of the AT in NY.

Kookork
12-12-2011, 18:13
I was thinking about trying to put together a spreadsheet with a lot of possible blue blazes to the AT. Different ways you can hike from Springer to Katahdin by using alternate trails that leave the trail and then hook back in at some other point. For example: Take the Benton MacKaye trail first instead of the AT. Use the Tuscarora trail instead of the standard NOVA/WV/MD/SOPA route. Shorter hunks of trail might be used in other places like the Virginia Creeper Trail near Damascus. It would be cool to figure out how you could hike trails from Springer to Katahdin but actually use as little of the AT as possible.

It might be fun for a flip-flopper to return to his starting point without retracing all his steps or for anyone who's not a purist to know where there might be alternatives that might interest them more than the official trail.

I would appreciate anyone posting suggested alternative trail and interesting things about them would be appreciated.

Assuming all the work is done and you have figured an alternative for AT, wouldn't it be considerably longer than AT itself?

stranger
12-18-2011, 20:27
Bill Bryson messed it up a lot by bragging "I hiked the Appalachian Trail" when he blue blazed and didn't come close to completing it. There was (and is) a lot of resentment over that, possibly resulting in some over-zealous feelings about "pure" hikes.

TW

I don't believe he ever said that, I believe he was quoting his friend...

weary
12-18-2011, 23:18
I don't believe he ever said that, I believe he was quoting his friend...
sorry, I'm afraid Bryson, did say it. His exact words were, "We hiked the Appalachian Trail," referring to Bryson and Katz. Katz said it first, according to Bryson's account. But Bryson agreed that, "We hiked the Appalachian Trail." Those are the last five words of the book, which after a lifetime of writing had made his fortune.He was not just quoting Katz, he was agreeing with Katz.

weary
12-18-2011, 23:23
Assuming all the work is done and you have figured an alternative for AT, wouldn't it be considerably longer than AT itself?
It's my belief that following all the interesting blue blazes would result a longer trail, which is why I think ATC's criteria for a 2000-miler certificate is a bit silly.

10-K
12-19-2011, 00:17
Other than the big name trails I think it'd be hard to put together a good list of side trails without really knowing the area. I can go the 65 miles from Hot Springs to Erwin jumping back and forth between the AT, jeep/forest roads, and other trails the whole way but it took me a while to string it all together.

Cookerhiker
12-19-2011, 13:13
sorry, I'm afraid Bryson, did say it. His exact words were, "We hiked the Appalachian Trail," referring to Bryson and Katz. Katz said it first, according to Bryson's account. But Bryson agreed that, "We hiked the Appalachian Trail." Those are the last five words of the book, which after a lifetime of writing had made his fortune.He was not just quoting Katz, he was agreeing with Katz.

Yes, your words above are correct....but there's a context. Bryson didn't claim to have hiked the whole AT. On the previous page, he states his total mileage - something around 970 miles, less than 40% of the total - and also expressed his profound admiration for those who have hiked it all. He was reacting to Katz's point which, as I read it, was that he had experienced a full range of AT experiences e.g. hiked it in the north, hiked it in the south, hiked in cold, hiked in heat.

I don't think there was anthing misleading when you read the entire chapter instead of narrowing yourself to the last page.

weary
12-19-2011, 13:40
Yes, your words above are correct....but there's a context. Bryson didn't claim to have hiked the whole AT. On the previous page, he states his total mileage - something around 970 miles, less than 40% of the total - and also expressed his profound admiration for those who have hiked it all. He was reacting to Katz's point which, as I read it, was that he had experienced a full range of AT experiences e.g. hiked it in the north, hiked it in the south, hiked in cold, hiked in heat.

I don't think there was anthing misleading when you read the entire chapter instead of narrowing yourself to the last page.
I've read the last Chapter at least three times, most recently in reply to a post that said Bryson never said the disputed words. He did, and exactly as I quoted them. Of course Bryson never said he had hiked ALL the Appalachian Trail, because he didn't. The final chapter is the best of the entire book in my opinion. It expresses insights about the trail and its importance.

But my post was not about the final chapter. It just corrected a wrong post.