PDA

View Full Version : hard climbs, butt kickers & grueling miles

peter lechthoff
12-12-2011, 19:51
my favorites from Springer Mtn to Fontana Dam:
1/4 mile: (Day 9) Bear Pen Trail to Albert Mtn Firetower 394 feet up (30%)
1/2 mile: (Day 13) Sassafras Gap II to Brown Fork Gap Shelter 584 feet (22%)
1 mile: (Day 12) Grassy Gap to Swim Bald 853 feet (16%)

"no idea"

Malto
12-12-2011, 20:33
Totally agree on the first two. I actually have Jacobs Ladder (S. of Brown's Fork Gap Shelter) at 620' gain over a third of a mile. This is the only climb in three years that I had to stop a take a break. The Albert Mtn section was steep but short enough to grin and bare it. I would add another to your list. I think the 1000' drop off Blood Mtn is one of the tougher sections

WILLIAM HAYES
12-12-2011, 21:10
some climbs in the 100 mile wilderness

Cookerhiker
12-12-2011, 21:25
The White Mountains (beginning with the north side of Moosilauke) through Maine to Avery Peak and the descent into Safford Notch.

burger
12-12-2011, 21:45
Can't they build some @$(*%&! switchbacks? This is why the PCT is 100 times better than the AT.

hikerboy57
12-12-2011, 21:49
Can't they build some @$(*%&! switchbacks? This is why the PCT is 100 times better than the AT.better or just different?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2011, 21:56
Can't they build some @$(*%&! switchbacks? This is why the PCT is 100 times better than the AT.switchbacks thru granite boulder fields. don't be a weenie

Kerosene
12-12-2011, 22:02
From Springer to Fontana, the only climb that I found objectionable were the ascent of Courthouse Knob just north of Bly Gap. I had made fantastic time up from Dicks Creek Gap that morning, ate lunch at Bly Gap for 45 minutes, but still bonked about 3/4 of the way up on a warm April afternoon.

I did everything from Standing Indian to Fontana Dam with my daughter at a much, much slower pace.

Del Q
12-12-2011, 22:40
Mt Moosilauke was TOUGH! Two Dartmouth girls heading North told me I was 1/2 way up, told them that was not even funny..........they were right, LONG tough UP from south to north, the down was also a hard way to begin the next day.

Northern Lights
12-12-2011, 23:45
Totally agree on the first two. I actually have Jacobs Ladder (S. of Brown's Fork Gap Shelter) at 620' gain over a third of a mile. This is the only climb in three years that I had to stop a take a break. The Albert Mtn section was steep but short enough to grin and bare it. I would add another to your list. I think the 1000' drop off Blood Mtn is one of the tougher sections

I couldn't stop on Jacob's Ladder for fear of falling back down the trail, that was a steep sucker.

blackbird04217
12-13-2011, 00:49
Kelly's Knob - somewhere early on GA? NC?

Perhaps it was my fault as well. I didn't go get water prior to my climb because I was too lazy to check my actual amounts, and figured the bladder was mostly full still. Also the water was a ways off the trail if I recall correctly. It just kept going up and up, it was a rather warm day which gave me a sunburn, until a small opening. I figured I was at the top, took a sip of water, and only had a swallow remaining... Whoops. "No problem," I thought, "I'm on my way back down." Whoops. I walked around a corner and the trail kept a climbing for a long time yet. Just writing this brings back my thirst, but I enjoy remembering the day Kelly's Knob gave me a subtle beating.

peter lechthoff
12-13-2011, 04:58
mixed up Sweatwater Gap and Sassafras Gap!

so here the steepest ups I found on google earth from Springer to Fontana Dam:

1/4 mile:
Day 9 Bear Pen Trail to Albert Mtn Firetower 394 feet up
Day 13 Sweatwater Gao to Brown Fork Gap Shelter 325 feet
Day 12 Grassy Gap to Swim Bald 315 feet
Day 13 Brown Fork Gap Shelter to Brown Fork Gap 312 feet
Day 4 Tesnatee Gap to Wildcat Mtn 305 feet

1/2 mile:
Day 13 Sweatwater Gap to Brown Fork Gap Shelter 584 feet
Day 12 Grassy Gap to Swim Bald 505 feet
Day 7 Bly Gap to Sassafras Gap I 492 feet
Day 12 Wright Gap to Grassy Gap 486 feet
Day 5 Unicoi Gap to Rocky Mtn 479 feet
Day 6 Addis Gap to Kelly Knob 469 feet

1 mile:
Day 12 Grassy Gap to Swim Bald 853
Day 5 Unicoi Gap to Rocky Mtn 781
Day 2 Horse Gap to Sassafras Mtn 676
Day 4 Neels Gap to Levelland Mtn 604
Day 9 Wallace Gap to Winding Stair Gap 604
Day 11 Burningstown Gap to Cold Spring Shelter 600

"no idea"

DLANOIE
12-13-2011, 08:50
Anything between Rt.. 26 Grafton Notch west to NH border is tough.

hikerboy57
12-13-2011, 09:00
mahoosuc arm, wildcat, moosilauke, any and all notches in NH/ME.

scudder
12-13-2011, 09:27
The Priest is a 3000 ft ascent in four miles if you're going SOBO. The last 2 miles are a 1000 ft /mile.

jersey joe
12-13-2011, 12:07
I recall the climb out of the NOC with a full pack kicking my butt pretty good. Climbing Killington seemed like it took forever too.

Driver8
12-13-2011, 13:26
The Taconics have some strong gradients. Nobo, the last 0.4 mile to Lion's Head has significant stretches of 20% and more, the heart of ascending Everett is a 0.3 that's about 33%, with passes that are 40+. Southbound, Jug End is noted to be tough - I've not done it yet - and the north side of Bear Mtn is about 0.25 at about 37%. The north side of Mt. Prospect in the Greylock Range, too, is tough - 1500' climb in about a mile and a half of AT.

None of this, however, approximates the difficulty of the easiest east-west ascents of Mt. Washington. It's a beast. I gather the easiest way up it is via the AT from Crawford Notch, which spreads the 4000+ feet over 10+ miles. You'd have to go up and down Greylock via the Thunderbolt Trail to the AT, twice, to roughly approximate the Boott Spur Trail up W, which thoroughly kicked my fanny last summer.

Cookerhiker
12-13-2011, 18:29
Mt Moosilauke was TOUGH! Two Dartmouth girls heading North told me I was 1/2 way up, told them that was not even funny..........they were right, LONG tough UP from south to north, the down was also a hard way to begin the next day.

I consider descending the north side of Moosilauke in wet conditions to be the scariest part of the entire AT.

The Taconics have some strong gradients. Nobo, the last 0.4 mile to Lion's Head has significant stretches of 20% and more, the heart of ascending Everett is a 0.3 that's about 33%, with passes that are 40+. Southbound, Jug End is noted to be tough - I've not done it yet - and the north side of Bear Mtn is about 0.25 at about 37%. The north side of Mt. Prospect in the Greylock Range, too, is tough - 1500' climb in about a mile and a half of AT....

And speaking of the Taconics, don't forget St. John's Ledges a bit further south in CT - short but very steep.

Kerosene
12-13-2011, 23:14
If we're going to extend this north of Fontana Dam, then someone has to mention the NOBO climb of South Kinsman in NH. I thought that was incredibly tough, especially considering I was fresh starting out of Eliza Brook LT.

Descending (or climbing) the northern side of Moosilauke is certainly memorable. For me it was a fast descent that weakened my quads and ultimately led to knee problems. Even though I typically don't mind ascents, I'm really not looking to the climb of Wildcat out of Pinkham Notch.

brian039
12-13-2011, 23:34
The most grueling part of the trail for me was the Mahoosuc Range in the first part of Maine. Hiking poles are useless here as you have to grab a hold of trees, roots, rocks, and sometimes just sit on your ass and slide to negotiate some of the obstacles on the trail.

brian039
12-13-2011, 23:40
Oh and I slackpacked up Kinsman but I would guess that is probably the steepest and toughest climb on the trail, Mount K and no joke either.

max patch
12-13-2011, 23:51
I consider descending the north side of Moosilauke in wet conditions to be the scariest part of the entire AT.

I agree, it was wet and drizzly when I did that on my thru.

As a matter of fact, the first thing I thot of when I heard about Bill Irwin and Orient was "how in the world did they navigate Moosilauke?"

max patch
12-13-2011, 23:55
I think what makes a section hard is in the eye of the beholder. People on the website piss and moan about Kellys Knob more than any other section in GA, but to me its nothing special. Maybe knowing that there is water and a picnic table to sit at just ahead makes it easy for me. Who knows?

Driver8
12-14-2011, 03:01
And speaking of the Taconics, don't forget St. John's Ledges a bit further south in CT - short but very steep.

From what I gather, Caleb's Peak and the other mountains along the Housatonic in Kent near St. John's are not considered to be part of the same geological formation as the Taconics. But I've heard that the Ledges, SOBO are tougher than any stretch in the Taconics. Haven't yet gotten out and done them, myself.

Driver8
12-14-2011, 03:06

From what I gather, Caleb's Peak and the other mountains along the Housatonic in Kent near St. John's are not considered to be part of the same geological formation as the Taconics, though they are only a couple of towns over. But I've heard that the Ledges, SOBO are tougher than any stretch in that part of the Taconics which straddle the CT/MA border. Haven't yet gotten out and done the ledges yet, myself - looking forward to it.

JAK
12-14-2011, 09:41
Gotta respect the fat people that do these trails. Sure they are slow, but I don't know how they do it. The most I've been is 230, but I am just over six feet with big lungs and strong legs. Still, from my experience hiking the Fundy Footpath or the AT anything over 230 on my frame starts to get brutal, so even at 210 that doesn't leave much for clothing, gear, food, and water. We tend to overlook the fact that overweight people are doing so much more work. You see running clubs that talk about VO2Max, and improving their cardiovascular fitness, and it is assumed that the skinnier runners are in better cardio shape just because they are faster, when in fact speed is a combination of cardio fitness, and how little you weigh. It's get even more extreme when you look at distance. At running efforts, which hiking is comparable to if you are overweight or carrying too much gear, if you slow down by 10% you can usually cover twice the distance. Similarly, if you shed 10% of your weight you might cover twice the distance. At some point this no longer holds true, but I would say on a really tough grind, where you can only hike 4 hours or less in a day, I would guess that under those extremes if you reduced total weight by 10% you could hike twice as far at the same speed.

So give credit where credit is due. If you are having trouble keeping up with the skinny dude in front of you, don't blame your lungs and legs. They are probably doing a magnificient job. Once you shed those extra pounds, and you will, you will unleash the ninja hiker within. Not taking anything away from Flying Brians. Just saying it would be a different story, even for them, if you had them carry an extra 50 or 80 pounds of butter.

wornoutboots
12-14-2011, 09:58
So far in my sectioning careeer the climb that sticks in my mind is heading Sobo just after Flint Mtn Shelter, I did it in the morning after after staying at Flint & I still had to stop a few times.

coheterojo
12-14-2011, 10:02
Three Ridges on a hot, humid afternoon.

sixhusbands
12-14-2011, 10:39
There are a lot of really tough climbs on the AT and each one desrves it's own glory. There is a short , 1/2 mile climb in the white mountains from Galehead hut to the summit of South Twin that gets me very time. Striaght up , now switch backs and steep!

Merry Christmas

TrekkerJeff
12-14-2011, 10:55
Jacob's Ladder sticks out as the steepest climb we did. It was a foggy morning and we could not see the top until the last minute, which may have been a good thing. We were glad that we made the climb first thing in the morning while our legs were fresh.

mgeiger
12-15-2011, 13:07
I can't imagine 1000' in a mile. At what point does walking become climbing?

The 1350' over 2.4 miles from Neels Gap up Blood Mtn. Is the steepest grade I've done to date.

Spokes
12-15-2011, 13:25
New Hampshire.

Bati
12-15-2011, 13:27
There's more than place that gains or loses a thousand feet in a mile.
I recall doing Moody Mt years ago right after a relo and reaching up to grad for a small sapling to help me up one the climb. It came out in hand since most of the dirt at the base had been washed away.

Luckily, we now have more regulations in place that are designed to prevent things like this, as there's a growing recognition that dumpling dirt in streams is bad for the things that live there, landslides are not good, etc.
Not that they're always followed. There's a place on the Sheltowee Trace where you can see the landslides caused by improper logging. They did manage to get the equipment out before the hillside came down so there's no equipment ruins.

Driver8
12-15-2011, 13:50
Gotta respect the fat people that do these trails.

That's me, my friend. I weigh in at 295 naked, and when I attempted W via Boott Spur, with about 25 lbs clothing me and on my back, the sustained 20% grade was more than I could do beyond 2.5 miles and 2400' ascent. The descent, with gravity helping, was much easier, though treacherous, being wet after rain the day before. Working on slimming the frame at the gym this winter, and intend on attempting W again next summer.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2011, 13:56

The 1350' over 2.4 miles from Neels Gap up Blood Mtn. Is the steepest grade I've done to date.try mahoosuc notch up mahoosuc arm. 1600 feet in 1.6 miles. straight up. no switchbacks like blood mtn.:sun

Kerosene
12-15-2011, 14:18
There are a lot of really tough climbs on the AT and each one desrves it's own glory. There is a short , 1/2 mile climb in the white mountains from Galehead hut to the summit of South Twin that gets me very time. Striaght up , now switch backs and steep!We stayed at Galehead and headed up South Twin early the next morning. Outside of the very high steps required to get over boulders, it was a good early morning workout and I got to the top to see sunrays poking through the clouds. South Kinsman was a lot harder in my opinion. The climb out of Pinkham Notch to Wildcat covers 1,500 vertical feet in a mile I believe, which is even steeper.

Kerosene
12-15-2011, 14:21
Three Ridges on a hot, humid afternoon.I was going SOBO on a cool rainy afternoon, but I could tell that it would be a ballbreaker on hot day going the other direction. The AT up the Priest is at least well graded and I roared up the next morning without having to pause.

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 14:45
the one climb that absolutely kicked my butt was actually climbing up mt garfield.I had started from francomnia notch way too lateon what turned out to be ont of the hottest days of the summer.i was out of water by lafayette, and totally dehydrated, with signs of heat exhaustion by the time i reached the base of garfield. i met 2 guys who were kind enough to spare some waterand the 3 of us had to stop every 30 or 40 feet, i just had nothing left. to make it worse, my associate had an altimeter and would announce at every rest, "only another 650 ft to climb".... only another 623 feet to the top" and so on.we got to the cutoff trail and at first wanted to head straight to the campsite and skip the summit, but i was glad i didnt. we got to the top just as the sun was hitting the horizon-not a cloud in the sky, not even haze, and the stars starterd winking on, first a few at a time, then by the hundreds,then thousands.i never even sat down, just slowly turned around, surrounded by nothing but mountins and stars.
it was worth the extra effort.

tdoczi
12-15-2011, 14:47
That's me, my friend. I weigh in at 295 naked, and when I attempted W via Boott Spur, with about 25 lbs clothing me and on my back, the sustained 20% grade was more than I could do beyond 2.5 miles and 2400' ascent. The descent, with gravity helping, was much easier, though treacherous, being wet after rain the day before. Working on slimming the frame at the gym this winter, and intend on attempting W again next summer.

i thought you said you werent out of shape?

Calculator
12-15-2011, 14:54
The ones that stand out to me are (uphills going NOBO): Jacob's Ladder, Roan Mtn., South Kinsman, Wildcat, Carter Dome, Mahoosuc arm, Moody Mtn., and Katahdin.
Sketchy downhills?: The Jump off, Dragon's Tooth, Moosilauke, Madison, Chairback, and Katahdin.

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 15:38

The 1350' over 2.4 miles from Neels Gap up Blood Mtn. Is the steepest grade I've done to date.

try mahoosuc notch up mahoosuc arm. 1600 feet in 1.6 miles. straight up. no switchbacks like blood mtn.:sun

Hiking up Pleasant Pond Mountain in Maine (1,150' in 1.3 miles - almost 1,000'/mile), about half-way up I injured my ribs just from lifting my leg up to the next step over one of the many big rocks.

HIking north from Crawford Notch, NH up the Webster Cliff trail: 2,073' in 1.8 miles.

garlic08
12-15-2011, 19:35
One memorable day that kinda kicked my butt was the descent into NOC then the climb back out, in the same day. It felt a little like the Grand Canyon. When I looked at the profile and saw it was about 4000' down and back up, I could see why it felt that way.

4shot
12-15-2011, 20:04
One memorable day that kinda kicked my butt was the descent into NOC then the climb back out, in the same day. It felt a little like the Grand Canyon. When I looked at the profile and saw it was about 4000' down and back up, I could see why it felt that way.

I've enjoyed this thread. In and out of NOC when the temp was in the upper 80's was absolutely brutal, maybe the toughest day on my hike. Going down mahoosic in the rain was terrifying. Not sure it would be doable without the rebar driven into the rock at various places.Downhill can be scary, going up never was (to me).

tdoczi
12-15-2011, 20:49
I've enjoyed this thread. In and out of NOC when the temp was in the upper 80's was absolutely brutal, maybe the toughest day on my hike. Going down mahoosic in the rain was terrifying. Not sure it would be doable without the rebar driven into the rock at various places.Downhill can be scary, going up never was (to me).

there used to be rebar on mahoosuc arm? if there was, either its gone now (i was there in august) or i went the wrong way!

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 20:57
im not sure whether it was on the arm or not. i hiked sobo from grafton notch to gorham 2 summers ago, and i remember finding a ladder where I really didnt need one, and wondering why there werent any when i absolutely did need one("NOW, theres a ladder?""?!!!.going down mahoosuc arm was insane!! swinging down,sliding down, hanging off tree roots and tiny little holds on the rock faces themselves.
but i loved it.

tdoczi
12-15-2011, 23:09
now ive almost got myself convinced that i do remember rebar in a spot or two. in any case, if there was it wasnt a lot. not like moosilauke or wildcat. yeah it was quite the experience. its also the trail that ive hiked that i'm least likely to ever think about doing again.

jakedatc
12-16-2011, 01:53
there used to be rebar on mahoosuc arm? if there was, either its gone now (i was there in august) or i went the wrong way!

I'm guessing he meant Moosilauke.. hiked up and down as a day hike. props to folks doing that with a full pack and even more doing it in the rain..

jakedatc
12-16-2011, 01:57
We stayed at Galehead and headed up South Twin early the next morning. Outside of the very high steps required to get over boulders, it was a good early morning workout and I got to the top to see sunrays poking through the clouds. South Kinsman was a lot harder in my opinion. The climb out of Pinkham Notch to Wildcat covers 1,500 vertical feet in a mile I believe, which is even steeper.

ah when my knees were younger. in HS i jump/hopped down South Twin with 30lb pack :P This summer i'm doing Pemi clockwise so i'll get to hike up it.

joshuasdad
12-16-2011, 06:47
Surprised no one has mentioned NOBO from Lehigh Gap, PA. Few hundred feet of steep switchbacks, then it goes straight up the rocks for quite a while. Priest was a long climb for me, but I thought it had good switchbacks. The section of trail I really wanted to get off of was the Roller Coaster in Northern VA. Lots of steep short climbs and descents, with little reward for the effort.

Jim Adams
12-16-2011, 19:28
Can't they build some @$(*%&! switchbacks? This is why the PCT is 100 times better than the AT.

Not better...just easier. I HATED the switchbacks on the PCT. Some places it is actually needed but not many. They made the trail really boring....example? ...coming down from San Jacinto there was a fallen tree across the trail...stepped over it and hiked another mile out and a mile back to the other end of the same tree...the way around was to climb back up to the trail that you had been on 2 miles earlier, step over the tree and then climb back down to the trail location that you were at when you got to the tree. Too much B*** S***!

geek

Jim Adams
12-16-2011, 19:40

The Mahoosuc Arm has always been my favorite climb on the AT. Sure it is steep and can easily kick my ass but it is fun and the view over the top down to the lake is beautiful....I never saw rebar!

geek

Cookerhiker
12-16-2011, 20:01
.... The section of trail I really wanted to get off of was the Roller Coaster in Northern VA. Lots of steep short climbs and descents, with little reward for the effort.

For me re. short steep ups & downs, NY west of the Hudson, Rt. 17A to Bear Mountain is tougher than the much-ballyhoed VA "roller coaster."

rainmaker
12-16-2011, 21:52
The White Mountains (beginning with the north side of Moosilauke) through Maine to Avery Peak and the descent into Safford Notch.
Amen to Avery.

Blissful
12-16-2011, 21:54
Northern NH, The Mahoosucs.

But I find steep downhill much, much worse, imo.

Malto
12-16-2011, 22:27
coming down from San Jacinto there was a fallen tree across the trail...stepped over it and hiked another mile out and a mile back to the other end of the same tree...the way around was to climb back up to the trail that you had been on 2 miles earlier, step over the tree and then climb back down to the trail location that you were at when you got to the tree. Too much B*** S***!

geek

I had that happen a couple times in WA and OR. After climbing the blowdown once it really pi$$es you off to have to climb it again Rrrr.

q-tip
12-17-2011, 11:12
Leaving Hot Springs--Killer....

Old Hillwalker
12-17-2011, 14:24
A memorable one: From Galehead Hut to the top of South Twin 1120 feet in .7 miles. A good relentless puffer.