PDA

View Full Version : LT guide vs E-E book

jakedatc
12-12-2011, 22:48
I got the newest LT guide but am wondering what the differences are between that and the End to End guide. Anyone want to take a picture of 2 pages open to a section to compare it? neither REI or EMS around me have it to look at.

stranger
12-13-2011, 06:30
The main difference between the two is that they are geared at different audiences:
- Long Trail Guide is mostly for day hikers
- End to End Guide is for long-distance hikers
The standard guidebook lacks information on public transportation, town information (lodging, groceries, laundry), things that a long distance hiker would be interested in. If I had to pick one I would take the End to End, simply because it has the town information PLUS a data section that is similar to the standard guide book, it just lacks the overly specific information (trail turns right and follows old logging road for 300 feet before descending down some rocks and entering a lovely spruce forest blah blah blah) etc...Simply put the LT Guide has alot of information you don't need (for long distance) and is quite heavy for it's length of 272 miles. The End to End guide is lighter and doesn't really have much redundant information for the long distance hiker.

NorthCountryWoods
12-13-2011, 10:27
It's hard to say which is better for the end to ender. Both have positives if you're not familiar with the area, but it all depends on your self sufficiency. I like the E2E guide for shelter/tent site/water info and prefer the LT guide for trail info (elevation, maps, points of interest, side trails, etc). If I were planning a trip from out of state, I'd own both, read both and decide what info was more necessary to me.

I will tell you that in both guides the info for towns, especially the smaller ones, is difficult to rely on. Resupply, lodging and shuttles change constantly and is the reason the writers of the guides keep the recommendations vague.

Cookerhiker
12-13-2011, 10:57
I used both but were I choosing only one, I'd pick the Guidebook for the better information on the Trail itself e.g. the points & place names, side trails, shelters, roads, distances & elevation, etc. The maps in the book are adequate. The End-to-End book is a guide to services which can also be ascertained beforehand through on-line research providing you allow the time to do so.

Amanita
12-13-2011, 13:32
I would suggest the End to Ender's guide WITH the long trail map (also by the GMC). The guide has ressuply info, regulation info, and mileages. The map has a good elevation profile, many roads marked, some mileages, and all the benefits of a map.

If I were to take just one item, it would be the map. Maybe having ressuply notes printed off and/or written on the edges of the map.

Yukon
12-14-2011, 13:37
Map and End-to-End guide is what I would use. The LT guide is nice to read but isn't a necessity. The End-to-End guide has all the mileages and what not that you will need, then the map...well it's a map lol

bamboo bob
12-14-2011, 14:39
i used the map an end to end.

stranger
12-14-2011, 18:46
Years ago the Long Trail Guide was more relevant, back then (90's) the End to End Guide just had town services listed, no mileage, etc... Now the End to End Guide has a 'data book' section, a complete list of shelter locations, every principle road and peak is identified, water sources, privy's, etc... I can't see a need to have the LT Guide for a thru-hike unless you prefer to have it. The map didn't exist when I hiked it last time, but I will probably get it, you just never know when you might have to get creative in search of hamburgers!

Papa D
12-14-2011, 20:47
The End to Enders guide is all you really need for an end to end hike BUT the maps are nice. I bought both books and carefully color photocopied each section map out of the bigger book and stuck them in the zip lock with the E-E guide along with a few notes. Worked fine.

Harpua
12-14-2011, 20:55
LT guide sucks. i used only a map on my end to end as well

jakedatc
12-15-2011, 01:13
Thanks guys :) looks like i'll return the LT guide and get the E-E instead. I did find that flipping through it was much better for day hikes and stuff since it was all starting out from parking lots in each section and doing the mileages from there. Which when you're at a shelter is pretty darn useless ;)

Yukon
12-15-2011, 08:36
Don't return it, it's still nice to have and you are supporting the GMC!! There is still good info in that book, it's just not the best for an End-to-End hike. I have the 2007 copy and will be buying the new one as well :)

Chaco Taco
12-28-2011, 09:36
The map is sweet, got one for Xmas and my E2E guide is on its way. I have the Guide but would only use it for researching only. The E2E and map is coming with me this summer

10-K
12-28-2011, 09:38
I'm expecting all 3 (both books and the map) any time!

Chaco Taco
12-28-2011, 09:44
I'm expecting all 3 (both books and the map) any time!

The guidebook is more of a book like the books that come with the AT Maps. Its has info for beginners and some info about the side trails but the map would cover that for me. I like the map with the profiles and the sections so you have all of the outlying terrain. They did a great job with the map. The E2E looks like its more of what Im looking for in terms of a guidebook.

jakedatc
12-28-2011, 11:38
Ya, i ordered the E-E and map so they should be coming whenever GMC sends them to me :)

Jeff
12-28-2011, 11:57
The End to Enders guide is revised every other year. Even so, there are quite a few errors in the book. We get spoiled with AWOL's guide and The Companion which are both more accurate.

10-K
12-28-2011, 12:00
Got my stuff in the mail today. The End to Ender's Guide and the map should do just fine.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2011, 18:04
The End to Enders guide is revised every other year. Even so, there are quite a few errors in the book. We get spoiled with AWOL's guide and The Companion which are both more accurate.

There are quite a few errors in most guidebooks. Every year each guidebooks get a nickname :) . But I agree that I am piecing together the LT section of the Companion to plug into my e2e when it arrives.

Chaco Taco
01-01-2012, 11:19
E2E came in. Looks good to me. I like the different sections and breakdowns

Papa D
01-01-2012, 11:27
This is exactly what I had-(E-E Guide and Map) - the perfect combination - you really won't need the map much but since you are hiking a beautiful piece of land, the map is really fun to have.

Chaco Taco
01-01-2012, 11:59
This is exactly what I had-(E-E Guide and Map) - the perfect combination - you really won't need the map much but since you are hiking a beautiful piece of land, the map is really fun to have.

Thats what i was thinking. I like looking at maps in my tent at night and being able to see the topography and to identify other mountains.

jakedatc
01-01-2012, 16:12
Got mine yesterday. I like how the E-E guide has plenty of space for notes in the margins and stuff. good for planning. Also like the mileage numbers on the map between places. nice and easy to check real quick. stop at one mtn or shelter and can look to see how far to the next thing. also good for pace calculating.

is it July-aug yet? i'm psyched.

Shadowalker
01-01-2012, 17:03
Where can I order the E to E Guide and a map , I was section hiking recently with a Thru hiker and he had a Guide with him that was really a big help on the Trail , But didnt get the info. on purchasing one , Is their a Ph. no. or address , Thanks , Planning a thru in March , Springer Mnt. here I come !!

lemon b
01-01-2012, 17:36
One doesn't need either. But the End to end has more current info. I;m gonna do that trail for the 5th time pretty quick but with age work and vacation I can no longer make it in 15 days.

Mountain Mike
01-01-2012, 18:30
Where can I order the E to E Guide and a map , I was section hiking recently with a Thru hiker and he had a Guide with him that was really a big help on the Trail , But didnt get the info. on purchasing one , Is their a Ph. no. or address , Thanks , Planning a thru in March , Springer Mnt. here I come !!

Green Mountain Club http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

lemon b
01-01-2012, 18:36
I got an old one my kid could maybe scan over.

Papa D
01-01-2012, 19:40
Thats what i was thinking. I like looking at maps in my tent at night and being able to see the topography and to identify other mountains.

well -- you'll see some tall mountains - if you are going NOBO - tall mountains like Stratton and Bromley are just a warm up for the big ones to come -- Mt. Abraham, Mt. Ethan Allen, Mt. Ellen, the massive down-climb of AP Gap, Camel's Hump (not as hard as some), Mansfield (of course) and some nobody ever even mentions - - like Madonna Peak and so forth -- you'll have a great time - it's beautiful country.

Chaco Taco
01-01-2012, 20:46

We are talking about the End to ENd guide for the Long TRail. If you are starting from Springer you will need the Companion http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm or you will need AWOL's http://www.theatguide.com/ for the AT and not the LT