PDA

View Full Version : 2nd trip this coming weekend- need some advice on shelter

BlakeGrice
12-13-2011, 00:49
hey guys had my first outing over Thanksgiving - back at it this weekend. Just a 2 day 1 night- Woody to Neels. Some friends here in SC heard me talk about my last hike so much I think i have 4 of them coming. Anyway- I am planning on getting to Woody @ 11am- leave a car at neels, and drive back to woody. Day 1 is to Woods hole Shelter. Day 2 will be over blood mountain and on to neels. Anyway- question is this- That shelter sleeps 7....we have 4....would you carry a tent just in case? I really don't want to- but I have no idea what the crowd is gonna be like there at this time of the year. Also- I read its "a long way" off the trail....true? I'd love to spend the night at the blood mtn shelter, but i understand it is closed for now. Thanks for your input.

Northern Lights
12-13-2011, 00:59
The first Shelter after Blood Mountain is Whitley Gap shelter and is 1.2 miles off the trail I believe. I chose to bypass it and head to Low Gap Shelter.

Amanita
12-13-2011, 01:11
I consider carrying some form of personal shelter to be important for personal safety and to avoid "murphy's law" since you are traveling in a group and not planning to tent I wouldn't consider it unreasonable to carry only 1 or 2 tents between the four of you, as long as in a desperate situation you could all squeeze in.

Rocket Jones
12-13-2011, 08:06
Always carry some form of shelter.

bigcranky
12-13-2011, 08:14
Woods Hole shelter is about .3 off the trail - not very far, and it's a level side trail (unlike many very steep trails down to shelters.)

Always bring a shelter of some sort that will get you through the night under bad weather conditions. It's not likely that the shelter will be full this coming weekend, but there's a non-zero chance that a group will have taken over the shelter before you get there. Even a simple flat tarp will be fine if pitched properly. Not carrying a shelter is totally irresponsible.

Note that there aren't many (or any) good tentsites at the shelter itself, but there are some okay sites at the junction of the side trail and the AT.

Also note that the climb from Woody to Blood Mtn isn't all that steep, but it's long and relentless and you'll get to see how well prepared your friends are.... :)

daddytwosticks
12-13-2011, 08:18
If it's cold, a tent will be warmer also. :)

max patch
12-13-2011, 08:24
Always carry a tent or other shelter. Always.

The "long distance" is 1/3 of a mile. 5-6 minutes depending on your pace. Not long to me. YMMV.

Ever since the feds "improved" the parking area at Neels and reduced capacity from 80ish to maybe 30ish if I am going to Neels I always have a back up plan in place in case the lot is full (you'll be ticketed if you park illegally). In your case I'd make sure you know how to get to Lake Winfield Scott from Neels to leave the car. On day 2 you can always climb Blood, and then backtrack and hike to LWS on the Slaughter Creek Trail.

FatMan
12-13-2011, 11:48
The spring at Woods Hole shelter is very seasonal (mid-winter & spring) and may not be running yet. It has been about 3 weeks when I was there last and it was not running at that time. Water is running at Jarrard Gap so fill up there to be safe.

Oh, and my bet is the shelter will be empty.

BlakeGrice
12-13-2011, 12:28
THANKS GUYS Ill bring my 2 man tent and tell them to grab one too

Sierra Echo
12-13-2011, 12:34
Why aren't you going a further distance? Thats a dayhike!