PDA

View Full Version : ALERT! Weird Guy on AT - Section 6 - Rocky Run Shelter

Noah Genda
12-13-2011, 08:40
Hiked out to Rocky Run...some dude showed up after midnight - then he started making a fire with the scarce wood I'd collected for my morning fire. I said to him, "go easy on my firewood, man, that's for my morning fire..." to which he replied "tough," and threw down the piece of wood he was holding. He was a tall *****er...as tall as me...no back pack, just a orange-looking fanny pack. He was wearing those dingy yellow coveralls construction guys use. Had a hoodie sweatshirt on underneath - couldn't see his face, but he was about 38, stood about 6'-2", around 250 lbs, and lightly bearded. What the hell was he doing out there at that hour? He sat in the wrought iron chair all night long next to the fire - stoking the flames, continuing to burn the wood I'd collected. John (another hiker I met up with) got up to pee around 2, thought it was me when he started talking to him...was surprised to see the guy. He was freakin' weird, man. John (he's 62) said he had his knife handy because he freaked him out, too, but my knife and mace canister were in my backpack outside the shelter.

We got up at around 6, and promptly just started packing our *****. Didn't say a word to the weird guy. We were ready to stab him if we had to! That was my first time to ever use a shelter - always stay in my tent away from the shelters...now I know why I'll never use another shelter again!

John said he'll make a report with MD Rangers on his way out...we talked about the logbook in the shelter that spoke about a weird guy...we're thinking we ran into him...but now have a description to give the cops.

I get creeped out from time to time when I'm on the trails - Saturday night (12/10/2011) was the creepiest. Sure didn't sleep much. It was 28 degrees, but didn't feel too cold with sleeping bag and what not. I am going to buy a pistol...start packin' special heat to help me sleep when the nights are cold, and even when they're not!