PDA

View Full Version : ALERT! Weird Guy on AT - Section 6 - Rocky Run Shelter

Noah Genda
12-13-2011, 08:41
Hiked out to Rocky Run...some dude showed up after midnight - then he started making a fire with the scarce wood I'd collected for my morning fire. I said to him, "go easy on my firewood, man, that's for my morning fire..." to which he replied "tough," and threw down the piece of wood he was holding. He was a tall *****er...as tall as me...no back pack, just a orange-looking fanny pack. He was wearing those dingy yellow coveralls construction guys use. Had a hoodie sweatshirt on underneath - couldn't see his face, but he was about 38, stood about 6'-2", around 250 lbs, and lightly bearded. What the hell was he doing out there at that hour? He sat in the wrought iron chair all night long next to the fire - stoking the flames, continuing to burn the wood I'd collected. John (another hiker I met up with) got up to pee around 2, thought it was me when he started talking to him...was surprised to see the guy. He was freakin' weird, man. John (he's 62) said he had his knife handy because he freaked him out, too, but my knife and mace canister were in my backpack outside the shelter.

We got up at around 6, and promptly just started packing our *****. Didn't say a word to the weird guy. We were ready to stab him if we had to! That was my first time to ever use a shelter - always stay in my tent away from the shelters...now I know why I'll never use another shelter again!

John said he'll make a report with MD Rangers on his way out...we talked about the logbook in the shelter that spoke about a weird guy...we're thinking we ran into him...but now have a description to give the cops.

I get creeped out from time to time when I'm on the trails - Saturday night (12/10/2011) was the creepiest. Sure didn't sleep much. It was 28 degrees, but didn't feel too cold with sleeping bag and what not. I am going to buy a pistol...start packin' special heat to help me sleep when the nights are cold, and even when they're not!

Don H
12-13-2011, 08:57
FYI your WV carry permit is no good in MD.

veteran
12-13-2011, 09:24
Forget the pistol, carry one of these.

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k102141_6a00d8341c5ac253ef00e55069fedd8834-640wi.jpg

:D

Gray Blazer
12-13-2011, 09:33
No agenda? I wonder ...

Noah Genda
12-13-2011, 09:44
Thanks for info about WV carry permit in MD...I haven't even started the carry process yet...can you direct me to web info for WV permit?

You got it right, Gray Blazer...no agenda = Noah Genda :) By the way...I'm from the panhandle - Fort Walton Beach...sure miss my hometown!

Lone Wolf
12-13-2011, 09:46
Thanks for info about WV carry permit in MD...I haven't even started the carry process yet...can you direct me to web info for WV permit?

You got it right, Gray Blazer...no agenda = Noah Genda :) By the way...I'm from the panhandle - Fort Walton Beach...sure miss my hometown!http://www.wvcdl.org/WVCCW.html

Majortrauma
12-13-2011, 09:53
FYI your WV carry permit is no good in MD.
Permit might not be valid but that won't stop the gun from working when needed.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2011, 09:56
Permit might not be valid but that won't stop the gun from working when needed.correct. the 2nd amendment is your permit. you have the right to defend yourself anywhere

Kerosene
12-13-2011, 09:58
I suggest a sword or a lightsaber: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?6931

Tom Murphy
12-13-2011, 10:06
Yes.

More, and bigger, guns are the answer.

Yahtzee
12-13-2011, 10:25
Incorrect. You do not have the right to defend yourself anywhere. There is no law on the books or anything in the second amendment that states that. Should one care? Of course not, being dead is dumber than getting arrested for not having a permit. But you will be arrested for not having a permit and for unlawfully discharging a firearm after saving your life. As it should be. But, don't want to steer anyone wrong here, the second amendment does not give one the right to defend themselves anywhere.

Rain Man
12-13-2011, 10:40
Some of those promoting illegal and even criminal conduct (packing heat without proper permits or even sawed-off shotguns, i.e., felonies), might want to review the WB User Agreement.

Rain Man

Hoofit
12-13-2011, 10:44
First time I hit the Trail, I packed heat
And I mean a gun
Not in case of weirdos
But in case of Snakes and Bears!
It took me quits a few miles, (well, actually just to Neels Gap), to realise that I would probably miss the bear and set the woods on fire!
Now I leave my flare gun on the boat.......

Tinker
12-13-2011, 11:03
Some of those promoting illegal and even criminal conduct (packing heat without proper permits or even sawed-off shotguns, i.e., felonies), might want to review the WB User Agreement.

Rain Man

Agreed. Big Brother can see anything you post in an open forum.

BESIDES: I'm disappointed. We haven't heard and anti-shelter rant yet. ;)

Honestly, if shelters were removed, how many "weird" folks would head out into the woods? They'd have to buy a Wal-Mart cheapie tent and sleeping bag, at least. Without the promise of a roof over their head, a windbreak, and a fire ring (likely stocked with firewood collected by others), how many vagabonds would head out into the inhospitable woods?
There you have it - the first official "Anti-shelter rant". :)

Hobbler
12-13-2011, 11:08
It is just so amazing to see how the OP's head's up to us about a strange and questionable person has gotten so far off message. Though he did mention he might be packing heat in the future, I feel that the OP was doing us a service to bring attention to a problem but the gun and weapon discussion always seems to be jumped on, creep in, and be a means to stray into oblivion....Too Bad...What is important is...Has anyone else seen or experienced this individual?

MedicineWoman2012
12-13-2011, 11:35
"correct. the 2nd amendment is your permit. you have the right to defend yourself anywhere " AMEN! LONEWOLF! :o)

Gray Blazer
12-13-2011, 11:41
Incorrect. You do not have the right to defend yourself anywhere. There is no law on the books or anything in the second amendment that states that. Should one care? Of course not, being dead is dumber than getting arrested for not having a permit. But you will be arrested for not having a permit and for unlawfully discharging a firearm after saving your life. As it should be. But, don't want to steer anyone wrong here, the second amendment does not give one the right to defend themselves anywhere.

Would you defend your home and family? This one guy was telling me that he was such a godly pacifist that he would not defend his home or family if someone broke in and hurt them (in other words he would turn the other cheek). You shoulda seen the look on his face when I asked him where he lived.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2011, 12:08
all bullcrap aside, just cuz the guy was "weird" doesn't mean he's dangerous. no need to "report" him. he did nothing illegal. stay at a shelter you gotta expect anything.

Old Boots
12-13-2011, 12:28
As I understand the issue the stranger came to the shelter and began to burn wood that was stacked there. His size and attitude may have seemed menacing but he made no threat or overt act that indicated he intended to harm anyone. Is this justification for lawbreaking to say nothing of contemplating killing someone? I'm with you Lone Wolf. This kind of reaction only makes the AT more dangerous for all of us.

tscoffey
12-13-2011, 12:50
[quote] You do not have the right to defend yourself anywhere. [/quote ]

This statement is so ludicrous on it's face that I am sure you meant something different to what you implied.
Perhaps you meant that the use of deadly force in self-defense is not guaranteed in all situations. But to claim that a right to self-defense in general is not guaranteed is certain incorrect.

Noah Genda
12-13-2011, 13:01
Geez...Hobbler had it right...I only wanted to let other people know there was a strange person on the trail in case they were headed in that direction. Hikers planning to be in that area could decide to keep trekkin' a little further past Rocky Run to avoid him, or they could simply offer him a seat by a warm fire and some food if that's how they go about things. Yea, he was an intimidating sort, and yes, we were initimidated.

I'm not one to break laws, well - driving too fast is not included...and I'm no idiot. I still intend to purchase a small concealable weapon this week and obtain the legal permit to carry it. Would rather have a weapon and not need it, than to need a weapon and not have it!

Sailing_Faith
12-13-2011, 13:05
Might not want to consider shooting someone who uses up all the firewood you collected. ;)

State laws vary, but generally the gold standard for self defense is "fear for your life". It sounds like the 'weird person' was just really cold, and lacked the social graces to say 'hey man, it is really freaking cold out here'.

I know no one was talking about shooting him, and I certainly understand that it sounds like it was a long and uncomfortable night... certainly not welcome on the trail. All behavior is rational in the context of the persons thinking... tough to say what was going on with this person.

Whatever the case, the head's up is good. Hope no one else has a similar experience with this guy (the way he was equipped does not sound like he is gonna be on the trail long).

All gun bias (positive and negitive) aside, do yourself a real favor and if you are going to apply for a CCWL make sure you attend the training class. Knowing what the law says is meaningless if you are not prepared to deal with the implications of carrying a gun.... MD would be a terrible state to have to use one in BTW...

You mention your home was Ft. Walton (Florida) if you still have a Florida residence, you can get a permit easily there... with reciprocity for most places along the AT (except MD)...

Fiddleback
12-13-2011, 13:15
Would rather have a weapon and not need it, than to need a weapon and not have it!

This might...or might not...make sense. But not if the weapon is packed up like the knife and mace were as related in the OP.

I don't carry 'heat'; I do carry bear spray (for bears:rolleyes:). And I sleep with that bear spray. Shoot...back in the day when I made fires, I slept with the firewood. But that was to protect it from the weather. I guess it might have protected it from wierd guys, too.;)

FB

max patch
12-13-2011, 13:21
If you are going to sleep in a shelter in the middle of the woods - especially one that is close to a road - you have to expect to run into people that you wish you hadn't.

When I thru'd I expected to sleep in a shelter almost every nite. That ended once I got thru the Smokies.

Mags
12-13-2011, 13:25
OH BOY!!!!

Another 2nd amendment debate!

New has been said..not much more to add. :)