PDA

View Full Version : Great homemade shampoo/conditioner recipe

DVNDSN
12-13-2011, 23:28
My wife found this homemade recipe for shampoo and conditioner. I tried it out last night and it works great! It left no scent in my hair (great for the outdoors), and is extremely easy to make with just a little bit of ingredients, baking soda (shampoo) and vinegar (conditioner).

I suggest you get your hair used to it before you hit the trail, wouldn't want anything to go wrong. All you do is add water to the suggested amount. Here is the link to the site I used: http://www.how-to-boost-your-immune-system.com/baking-soda-shampoo.html

My wife and I might do some hiking in Indonesia next year so this will be EXTREMELY helpful if we end up going. Little things like this are very helpful in the back country!
It is said that this recipe for shampoo and conditioner is better than that of leading brands. Not sure how that works, but she puts up a good argument.

Odd Man Out
12-14-2011, 00:52
I know that any web page that starts with "Baking Soda Shampoo - Clean Beautiful Hair Without Chemicals" will be good for some cheap entertainment.
First of all, I have nothing against the shampoo. Washing your hair with sodium hydrogen carbonate, dihydrogen oxide, and acetic acid is fine.
However, there is nothing in there that will dissolve oils.

But guess what. These are all chemicals!

Also the rest of the web page is full of pseudo scientific hogwash.

And you can skip hiking. Just use the Rebounder!

And the disclaimer page was the best. Especially the part that says they do not guarantee that any information on their website is correct, complete, or up to date.

rocketsocks
12-14-2011, 01:47
Rebounder cleans your inards:Adults say the darndest things.

JAK
12-14-2011, 08:32
The stuff that we secrete into our hair from our skin will turn soapy on its own with plain old water, and it conditions your hair also. So you could try just rinsing it every day, unless rain has already done the work. If you need a little extra, you can add a little white wood ash to your water. Go easy. The potash lye will combine with the oils in your hair to make its own shampoo, to speed up the process. Conditioner is really only needed because we use too much shampoo. Rinse, Lather, Repeat. lol

Spokes
12-14-2011, 11:56
.......Little things like this are very helpful in the back country!

Who's on the trail shampooing and conditioning their hair everyday or carrying a bottle of vinegar around in their pack?

rocketsocks
12-14-2011, 12:51
I do,the vinagar is for my ramp salad with dingle berries.

Blissful
12-14-2011, 14:18
Who's on the trail shampooing and conditioning their hair everyday or carrying a bottle of vinegar around in their pack?

C'mon Spokes, admit it...

:)

Spokes
12-14-2011, 14:30
C'mon Spokes, admit it...

:)

Does pickled egg juice count?

HeartFire
12-14-2011, 16:24
I have used baking soda to wash my hair for year, rinse with vinegar sometimes. Don't do this if you color your hair!

Odd Man Out
12-14-2011, 17:05
The stuff that we secrete into our hair from our skin will turn soapy on its own with plain old water, and it conditions your hair also. So you could try just rinsing it every day, unless rain has already done the work. If you need a little extra, you can add a little white wood ash to your water. Go easy. The potash lye will combine with the oils in your hair to make its own shampoo, to speed up the process. Conditioner is really only needed because we use too much shampoo. Rinse, Lather, Repeat. lol

Wood ash shampoo - I love it. And if you use the extra on your trout, you have lutefisk.

JAK
12-14-2011, 18:12
... and if you have enough hair you can make the lutefisk up there while you are hiking. Great way to celebrate climbing the Big K at the end of your hike, alone. :-)

JAK
12-14-2011, 18:20
Sorry, thought Lutefisk was made by burying. I guess I got it mixed up with Kiviak.