PDA

View Full Version : Small Victory for me....

MedicineMan
03-09-2005, 00:52
after many months I attempted a small AT section this past Saturday and found success. We began at Elk Garden and crossed Whitetop Mtn., passed Buzzard Rocks, and ended at Va.Hwy 58. It was a cold and windy day with temps ranging from 35-39F and winds from 9.3mph-20mph. We walked through a blizzard, sunshine, and then a hailstorm and I wouldnt have the AT welcome me back in any other way! Me feet got sore after 5 miles but nothing like what led me to the surgery 3 months ago.
On the way to Whitetop I used instep crampons and the 2-2.5 miles after that snowshoes. It wasnt a long hike, i think close to 7 miles but after staying off the trail for almost 7 months I was truly thankful to God for every step I could take.

A question for L.Wolf and others. A couple of miles down from Buzzard Rocks the trail crosses a road (snow covered so cant tell if it was gravel or paved) and then passes very close to a house that I think would make an excellent hostel, maybe even something the ATC should buy at least for corridor protection-----do you know anything about this house?

The foot test was the day after the hike and they felt good enough to take my youngest daughter hiking on a mountain in our city park, even walked the day after that on the treadmill, so in 2 weeks its back to SNP to fill in a gap!

A few pics are posted of this hike.
mM

ed bell
03-09-2005, 01:07
Glad to here of your comeback. I'm not aware of what you have gone through, but I can only imagine being held back from hiking for 7 months. Congrats on your rehab walk and I hope all goes well.
:sun:sun

Nean
03-09-2005, 01:20
Small victories have a way of becoming big ones

peter_pan
03-09-2005, 03:15
Waaaaahooo ! :jump

Welcome back Medicine Man....Will hit the trail from Cawtaba to Trouteville ( Mc Caffie's Knob and Tinker cliffs) in three days. First outing since my fall surgery myself...can't wait....Hope to see you at Trail Days...will be vending again...stop by.

Pan

MedicineMan
03-09-2005, 03:32
and hopefully another whiteblaze gathering, was really good last year meeting everyone...will try for more time there this round...

Lone Wolf
03-09-2005, 04:42
The road you ask about is Va. 601 (Beech Mtn. Road). It is gravel. The house is owned by the US Forest Service which was purchased for corridor protection years ago.

ocourse
03-09-2005, 05:07
Glad you are up and at 'em again, MedicineMan. That is a real milestone considering the treatments you have been through.

jeepcj258
03-09-2005, 09:28
Congrats! I know that must be a big worry lifted, wondering if your feet would hold up yet or not.

God Bless
Seth

MedicineMan
03-09-2005, 22:42
so what will happen to the house? just wondering if the Forestry Service has any plans.....

Lone Wolf
03-09-2005, 22:43
It will eventually be torn down.

neo
03-10-2005, 17:11
i am glad your back on the trail again:sun neo

max patch
03-10-2005, 18:02
I had PF couple years ago; lasted 7 months - during that time I couldn't run at all and could only day hike 5 miles or so. Did a lot of stretching; it went away as suddenly as it appeared. Sounds like you've beaten it!

MedicineMan
03-11-2005, 00:43
beaten it? well not quite but i'm getting close...walked 2 miles today in the city and then napped, afterward woke up to stiff feet but I'm still not complaining...next week when i get off i'll retest in SNP from Smith Roach Gap south for about 27 miles over 3 days---hopefully 3 easy days terrain wise, who knows about the weather at this point!