PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies in PA, NJ & NY

Stuart Johnson
12-14-2011, 16:08
Am planning a section hike for sometime during May/June 2012 that would begin at Port Clinton, PA and take me at least to the NJ/NY border. Will Black flies be a serious problem? If so, what's the best way to deal with them?

Thanks-Flathat

snowsusie
12-14-2011, 16:45
Blackflies are possible in NY mid May to mid June. They aren't too bad in the areas where the AT crosses. You will have bugs of some kind during that time. Depending on your bug annoyance threshold, I suggest a head net and bug spray. ~Freebird

Cookerhiker
12-14-2011, 18:11
Black flies are highly unlikely. You'll have mosquitos if you hike much into June. Personally I think a headnet is overkill as long as you have a tent or something else enclosed for the night. If you sleep in shelters, the mosquitos will find you.

rocketsocks
12-14-2011, 18:50
While we do have hatches around the time you'll be hiking,black flies are not a problem....in jersey

G.G.
12-14-2011, 18:56
If they're that much of an issue for you, just include a net. The weight is negligible.

Wise Old Owl
12-14-2011, 19:23
I have never had a problem in PA with flies. - Possibly because I am now over the top with DWO and avoiding future bouts of lyme and Rocky Mountain.

TOMP
12-14-2011, 19:53
I have been hiking in PA and NJ for years and never seen any. Black flies no, deer and dog ticks and mosquitos yup.

TheYoungOne
01-19-2012, 15:37
Ditto to what Tomp said. Ticks, Mosquitos and stinkbugs should be the only things that will bug you in PA and NJ

lunchbx
01-19-2012, 20:08
I went hiking once around the end of spring/early summer in jerz starting at sunfish pond and the blackflies were relentless. it was ok while you wer in motion but once you stopped hordes of them would congregate on my pack and anywhere else that had sweat on it. I ended up not even stopping to eat lunch cuz they were so bothersome that you were too busy shooing them off you to enjoy your food. if you let one of them stay on you too long you would get an innevetable bite from one. im not saying your going to have this problem but if you are unlucky enough to be out during the week or two timeframe where they are everywhere prepare to be annoyed. the best way to keep them at bay was to smoke a cigg, nicotine is a natural pesticide you know. if your not a smoker just dont stop to rest, lol.

Raul Perez
01-19-2012, 20:50
Mosquitos are the devil in June and July. Black flies were a bit of an annoyance at RPH shelter but not too bad.

Kerosene
01-20-2012, 11:30
I've hiked the NY/NJ border, an another time from NY-17 to Taconic Parkway, both in early June without any black fly sightings. Mosquitoes were bad at times on the NY AT in the low areas, around where the AT intersects with the Long Path.