PDA

View Full Version : Does Being A Labeled a 'Thru-hiker' Matter?

Ladyofthewoods
12-14-2011, 21:30
I'm excited about my plans for my AT trip. i.e., section hiking Georgia as part of my training and then taking off the latter part of March from wherever I'ved reach by then. I'm thinking maybe near Fontana. But I keep being reminded that I won't be a 'thru-hiker'. Darn it...I was always one to want the stars by my name on the board! But, other than calling myself a 'thru-hiker', does it really matter?:-?

Bati
12-14-2011, 21:33
It matters a lot if you're trying to fill out a permit to hike the AT in the Smokey Mountains.

Beyond that, not at all.

DapperD
12-14-2011, 21:38
I'm excited about my plans for my AT trip. i.e., section hiking Georgia as part of my training and then taking off the latter part of March from wherever I'ved reach by then. I'm thinking maybe near Fontana. But I keep being reminded that I won't be a 'thru-hiker'. Darn it...I was always one to want the stars by my name on the board! But, other than calling myself a 'thru-hiker', does it really matter?:-?It only need matter to yourself wether or not you receive this accolade:o.

johnnyblisters
12-14-2011, 21:46
Just a title. We'd be better off with out 'em.

JAK
12-14-2011, 21:49
I could be wrong, but I think it's sufficient to be a long distance hiker for the purpose of permits. As far as labels, what you have planned sounds pretty awesome, and very sensible. I think the best way to plan and prepare a thru-hike is by hiking it, and that's what you are doing. Have fun with it.

max patch
12-14-2011, 21:56
If its important to YOU you'll start at Springer next March.

If it isn't you won't.

Personal choice.

johnnybgood
12-14-2011, 22:02
Don't sweat it . Thrus aren't privileged hikers.

Grampie
12-14-2011, 22:03
Don't worry about calling yourself a theu-hiker or not. Better than half of the folks who start NOBO from Springer call themselver thru-hikers and they have no intention of ever being one.

Ladyofthewoods
12-14-2011, 22:05
I'm feeling the support guys! Thanks a lot. I guess I needed to hear that. Bati, I will check on the permit issue. I had already considered that, but better go ahead and check.

mirabela
12-14-2011, 22:06
Grampie has a very good point. Why is it you get to call yourself a thru-hiker the whole time until you quit in Pearisburg or something, but not if you start at the NOC and go all the way to Maine?

The whole thing is stupid.

I hiked with guys who were doing all kinds of section things, flip-flops, multi-year gigs, whatever, and it did not seem to matter much or produce any kind of caste system in the community. If it does, find better trail pals ... LOL

atmilkman
12-14-2011, 22:12
If you plan on attempting a thru in the future use that word (attempting) when refering to yourself and your hike. It takes the "pressure" off. If it doesn't happen the first time it's no big deal there's always another attempt.

Grampie
12-14-2011, 22:17
I didn't call, or even consider myself a thru-hiker until I finished. If folks asked me if I was a thru-hiker I would answer, I'm just hiking north.

Sarcasm the elf
12-14-2011, 22:19
I'm excited about my plans for my AT trip. i.e., section hiking Georgia as part of my training and then taking off the latter part of March from wherever I'ved reach by then. I'm thinking maybe near Fontana. But I keep being reminded that I won't be a 'thru-hiker'. Darn it...I was always one to want the stars by my name on the board! But, other than calling myself a 'thru-hiker', does it really matter?:-?

When the A.T. was built it was never the intention of those that designed it to be thru hiked. Just tell everyone you are using it for it's intended purpose. :rolleyes:

jlb2012
12-14-2011, 22:29
it matters less than being called Hiker Trash cause being called Hiker Trash means you're accepted into the community

JAK
12-14-2011, 22:32
I take it you are still hiking now, and then will take a break for winter or something like that. Well if you finish next year before you started this year that would be as great an accomplishment in my opinion. For that matter, you might want to start over at Springer so you can do the BMT. It's an awesome trail from what I've heard. I think if you hike 2000 miles in a single calendar year its a pretty awesome year no matter where you are hiking it, but I'm guessing it doesn't get too much better than the southern part of the AT or the BMT that parallels it. Shame not to do both, even if it meant missing part of the AT further North. Don't be to hung up on labels. Hike where you want to hike, when you want to hike it.

JAK
12-14-2011, 22:34
For my part, I'm hoping to complete my 10,000th post some time this year.

Lyle
12-14-2011, 22:37
There are only two possible entities who have any authority at all to define your hike.

One is the ATC, which has taken the official position that there is no difference between a section hike vs a thru hike.

The other is you. If you consider what you propose a Thru Hike, then it is, and you should have no hesitation or concern talking about it as such.

In casual conversation, most folks consider a hike that covers the entire trail, and is completed in one calendar year, or one season is a Thru Hike. Other folks like to add all sorts of other stipulations and requirements to the definition, but they have absolutely no authority to do so, and their definition is no more or less valid than your definition. Especially as it pertains to your hike.

Get out, have fun, be proud of what you accomplish, and let other worry about what they accomplish.

bigcranky
12-14-2011, 22:43
If anybody asks, just say you are hiking to Maine.

atmilkman
12-14-2011, 22:47
Now that is an accomplishment. How many miles of type does that equal out to?

JAK
12-14-2011, 23:07
Good question. Some of my posts are a fair trudge, which definitely adds to my average miles per post.
I try and stay in shape, but the very occassional weekend hike interupts things a little.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2011, 23:23
When anyone asks if I'm thru-hiking, I just say I'm not through hiking yet and leave it at that. Which is true on several levels.

atmilkman
12-14-2011, 23:28
When anyone asks if I'm thru-hiking, I just say I'm not through hiking yet and leave it at that. Which is true on several levels.
This is good. I like it. May I borrow it?

Mags
12-14-2011, 23:32
Get out, have fun, be proud of what you accomplish, and let other worry about what they accomplish.

Indeed!

Anyone who worries about YOUR hike is oobviously not enjoying THEIR hike. :D

Sierra Echo
12-14-2011, 23:36
Why do you need a label??

JAK
12-14-2011, 23:44
Why do you need a label??
Good point. The trend these days is to go indie.

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 08:17
is there a man patch for that?

Jim Adams
12-15-2011, 08:34
If you hike from Springer to Katahdin in one year you are a thru hiker IMO. There are alot of "thru hikers" who go home durring their hike for weddings, family get togethers or problems or take time off and hit the beach, concerts or other events and then return to the trail and finish...how is that any different than your hike?
Just go and have fun...besides, no one is really a thru hiker until they have thru hiked.

geek

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 08:34
You're hiking the entire AT - in the ATC's eyes, you're a "2,000 Miler." But as others have said, what counts is what you want.

I'm feeling the support guys! Thanks a lot. I guess I needed to hear that. Bati, I will check on the permit issue. I had already considered that, but better go ahead and check.

The Smokies' definition of thruhiker is one who both starts the hike >50 miles before entering the Park and ends >50 miles after leaving. So if you end your training hikes no futher north than Winding Stair Gap (Rt. 64), you're a thruhiker. The significance isn't permitting per se (all overnight hikers must have permits including thrus) but as a Smokies "thruhiker," you need not make shelter reservations unlike all other Park users.

Ladyofthewoods
12-15-2011, 09:09

Love it..!

Ladyofthewoods
12-15-2011, 09:19
I take it you are still hiking now, and then will take a break for winter or something like that. Well if you finish next year before you started this year that would be as great an accomplishment in my opinion. For that matter, you might want to start over at Springer so you can do the BMT. It's an awesome trail from what I've heard. I think if you hike 2000 miles in a single calendar year its a pretty awesome year no matter where you are hiking it, but I'm guessing it doesn't get too much better than the southern part of the AT or the BMT that parallels it. Shame not to do both, even if it meant missing part of the AT further North. Don't be to hung up on labels. Hike where you want to hike, when you want to hike it.

I know BMT very well...I've actually authored several articles about the Benton Mackaye Trail Association in regional magazines in the Southeast; although, I've not hiked it all yet. Hope to though!

Jefe
12-15-2011, 10:11
The Smokies' definition of thruhiker is one who both starts the hike >50 miles before entering the Park and ends >50 miles after leaving. So if you end your training hikes no futher north than Winding Stair Gap (Rt. 64), you're a thruhiker. The significance isn't permitting per se (all overnight hikers must have permits including thrus) but as a Smokies "thruhiker," you need not make shelter reservations unlike all other Park users.

Where does it say this and better yet, how does a Ranger verify it? To me, if I intend to hike from one end of the Smokies to the other, I'm a thru-hiker for the intent of reservations. No matter if I started 50 miles out or 49, or 1.

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 11:15
Where does it say this and better yet, how does a Ranger verify it? To me, if I intend to hike from one end of the Smokies to the other, I'm a thru-hiker for the intent of reservations. No matter if I started 50 miles out or 49, or 1.

It's their rule. I didn't see it on the website but I haven't heard a change in their policy. And if you rely solely on the website which apparently has no special provisions for thruhikers (that I could find), then LadyoftheWoods and all other prospective thrus must make shelter reservations in advance.

Suggest calling the permit office - number is on this link. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 11:26

Here you are: Page 16 of this PDF file (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/2011-GRSMNP-Compendium-FINAL-7-01-2011.pdf).

Jefe
12-15-2011, 11:34
Here you are: Page 16 of this PDF file (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/2011-GRSMNP-Compendium-FINAL-7-01-2011.pdf).

Thanks Cookerhiker. I found it after a few google searches. My question still applies. How will a ranger know? By smell? :)

I see the reasoning behind the rule and I guess it fits. When I do the Smokies as a section, I will either plan correctly or start at Rt 64.

Thanks for the research.

Jefe

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 12:45
Thanks Cookerhiker. I found it after a few google searches. My question still applies. How will a ranger know? By smell? :)

I see the reasoning behind the rule and I guess it fits. When I do the Smokies as a section, I will either plan correctly or start at Rt 64.

Thanks for the research.

Jefe

This recent thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?55474-GSMNP-thru-hiker-definition) has some discussion on the enforcement of permitting.

Spokes
12-15-2011, 12:54
Yes it does matter and validates the "Pecking Order" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecking_order) theory first postulated by Thorleif Schjelderup-Ebbe in 1921 :

"It is a basic concept in social stratification and social hierarchy that has its counterpart in other animal species, including humans".

- Source: Wikipedia

BrianLe
12-15-2011, 13:08
Jim Adams said:
"... besides, no one is really a thru hiker until they have thru hiked."

When I've been on trail in the past and the question arose, the right answer to me seemed to be something like "I'm giving it a try", or "so far so good". I.e., no one can know until they reach the end whether circumstances will allow them to finish the trail (in that particular year or even 'at all'). Paradoxically, however, when I'm not actually attempting to do a long distance hike, I'm definitely not a thru-hiker either --- because off-trail I get fatter, weaker, city-soft, my attitudes about things slowly change back to more of 'the norm', etc.

So paradoxically, one could argue that no one is a thru-hiker, at any time! :-) Okay, perhaps for that one day or so when the person gets to the end of the trail.

I will say that anyone who automatically feels superior or patronizing to section hikers hasn't run into some of the really impressive folks that I have. The example from the AT that comes most readily to mind was Flameboy, who I walked with for a few days towards the end of my trip; a strong hiker, and a great guy to get to know --- whatever label might or might not apply to him.

Lyle
12-15-2011, 13:28
I guess my take is that since the term "Thru-Hiker" has no official meaning anyway, I have no problem with folks referring to themselves as a Thru-Hiker as they leave Springer or Katadin as the case may be. It is just a convenient way to express intent. It is understood that reality may get in the way to change the plan at any point, but right now, today, this is the commitment that the hiker has made, and that itself is substantial. Motivational Speakers and advisers always state, one of the most important steps to being successful is to visualize that success. Let the new, excited hikers visualize, it's good for them. :-)

Now, the entitlement thing is another issue, and these aspiring hikers should guard themselves against developing that attitude. It's bad for your reputation and hiker's reputations in general.

wornoutboots
12-15-2011, 13:47
Grampie has a very good point. Why is it you get to call yourself a thru-hiker the whole time until you quit in Pearisburg or something, but not if you start at the NOC and go all the way to Maine?

The whole thing is stupid.

I hiked with guys who were doing all kinds of section things, flip-flops, multi-year gigs, whatever, and it did not seem to matter much or produce any kind of caste system in the community. If it does, find better trail pals ... LOL

I like this OP & this post. From now on while I'm out on a section hike on a long trail & conversing with fellow hikers I will ask if they are out on a long distant hike or a shorter hike. After thinking about it, it can be of encouragement to every hiker to put their hike all in the same category & say " enjoy your adventure & good luck on your attempted goals"! Instead of praising them like they've already accomplished some sort of great thing, just love & enjoy the moment together.

jersey joe
12-15-2011, 14:02
I guess my take is that since the term "Thru-Hiker" has no official meaning anyway, I have no problem with folks referring to themselves as a Thru-Hiker as they leave Springer or Katadin as the case may be. It is just a convenient way to express intent. It is understood that reality may get in the way to change the plan at any point, but right now, today, this is the commitment that the hiker has made, and that itself is substantial. Motivational Speakers and advisers always state, one of the most important steps to being successful is to visualize that success. Let the new, excited hikers visualize, it's good for them. :-)
I agree with you Lyle, I have no problem with people referring to themselves as thru hikers. Most day/weekend hikers out there understand the term thruhiker and realize this means you are hiking from GA to ME. It is a convenient term. I was proud to be on the trail and refer to myself as a thru hiker, especially the further north I traveled.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2011, 14:08
. My question still applies. How will a ranger know? By smell? :)

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who has been on the trail a while from a typical weekender. Thru-hikers get a certian glazed look in thier eyes and yes, then there is the smell...

Sly
12-15-2011, 14:22
When the A.T. was built it was never the intention of those that designed it to be thru hiked. Just tell everyone you are using it for it's intended purpose. :rolleyes:

People keep saying that but that's like saying interstate highways were built for local traffic only.

It was certainly built for over nighters and long distance hiking. Otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered with the shelter system.

Sly
12-15-2011, 14:29

Yeah, by smell. Lyin rats have a particular odor which rangers are taught in training.

Sly
12-15-2011, 14:35
Other perks that thru-hikers receive besides GSMNP permits, are the work for stay option in AMC Huts, a couple of shelters that are designated thru-hiker only, and thru-hiker discounts at certain motels and B&B's.

max patch
12-15-2011, 14:53
. My question still applies. How will a ranger know?

Shouldn't matter if a ranger will "know" or not.

The rule is there for a reason. If one has personal integrity they will follow the rule. If they don't, they won't.

bamboo bob
12-15-2011, 15:02
This is the kind of question asked by people who have not completed the entire trail in one calender year. Since I have sectioned end to end and also thru hiked I can attest that I feel I was thru-hiking until I stopped. When I got to Baxter Peak I was a thru hiker and not until. That's what I personally think and I am surprised if other thru hikers feel any different. Section hiking is also a big accomplishment but it is not the same thing.

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2011, 15:09
You can call yourself a thru-hiker, but you really aren't until you hike, non-stop, from the geological terminus of the Appalachian mountain range on the Continent of North America. I'll give you a pass on the continents of Europe and Africa.

jacquelineanngrant
12-15-2011, 15:26
It is true that the title only matters if you feel it does. I am quite proud of my white blaze thru-hike GAME 2010, and my thru-hiker title. I will white blaze it again GAME this year as well. Titles only matter if you care about them but you may want to consider starting at Springer just for the social aspect of it. If youre starting in March much farther north you won't see too many other thru-hikers and will miss out on a big part of the experience. You will also be way ahead of all the gatherings and hiker feeds. Only you can say what is best for you Hike Your Own HIke and enjoy it! It'll be awesome! Good Luck!

BobTheBuilder
12-15-2011, 15:28
People use it to convey authority here on the discussion boards, but I think it also counts some on the trail. If I am taking a break on a section hike and some people who call themselves "thrus" pass by, I know I can't keep up with them. If they're section hikers, I have a shot at keeping up.

daddytwosticks
12-15-2011, 17:00
I'm just a section hiker who wishes for more time on the trail...:)

MuddyWaters
12-15-2011, 17:09
Consider that many thru hikers on the AT hike it once, then never hike again at all. While section hikers hike frequently because they love to.

There is nothing noble in being a thru hiker, it basically just means you are unemployed, have no responsibilities that tie you down, such as kids, and decided for some reason to go and test yourself with a long arduous walk. Maybe for love of outdoors, but often for sex, partying, dope, running from law, nothing else better to do, you name it. There are a lot of dysfunctional thru hikers out there.

Many people could think of far more reasons to look down on most thru hikers, than to admire them. It is ironic in that many times a thru-hiker has the exact opposite opinion of themselves.

Don H
12-15-2011, 17:28
Consider that many thru hikers on the AT hike it once, then never hike again at all. While section hikers hike frequently because they love to.

There is nothing noble in being a thru hiker, it basically just means you are unemployed, have no responsibilities that tie you down, such as kids, and decided for some reason to go and test yourself with a long arduous walk. Maybe for love of outdoors, but often for sex, partying, dope, running from law, nothing else better to do, you name it. There are a lot of dysfunctional thru hikers out there.

Many people could think of far more reasons to look down on most thru hikers, than to admire them. It is ironic in that many times a thru-hiker has the exact opposite opinion of themselves.

I think your definition of a thru-hiker is extremely unfair. None of your descriptions applied to me or many of the people I hiked with this year.

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 17:35
I think your definition of a thru-hiker is extremely unfair. None of your descriptions applied to me or many of the people I hiked with this year.the other way to l;ook at it is :they are extremely goal oriented, deal with adversity on a daily basis, and never give up.
but you have to admit, thruhiking is somewhat of an indulgent experience.I think what MW was saying ws more like if I had the time, id do it myself, but becuase I don't, i feel i still enjoy the trail just as much as any thru hiker, and more than many. I feel the same way.

Mike2012
12-15-2011, 17:36

Egad are you trolling or serious?

The exact opposite of your opinion is just another opinion. Just to set the record straight I will be hiking to be in the great outdoors and to mark a turning point in my life.

As far as
"sex, partying, dope, running from law, nothing else better to do" I'd like to hear others opinions on this statement of yours. There are FAR FAR FAR easier ways to pursue and enjoy those activities.

Hoofit
12-15-2011, 17:40
Yep, like a lot of other people I thought

max patch
12-15-2011, 17:46
As far as
"sex, partying, dope, running from law, nothing else better to do" I'd like to hear others opinions on this statement of yours. There are FAR FAR FAR easier ways to pursue and enjoy those activities.

You beat me to it. If my objective was to party and get laid there's a whole lot of other places I'd choose to go to before I'd set out on the AT.

Hoofit
12-15-2011, 17:49
I'll try that again...
Like a lot of people who start at Springer and THINK they're going all the way to Maine, I was stopped short, in my case by Lyme Disease. and so the supposed 'accolade' of being a 'thru-hiker' was stripped of me.
Then I got to think about it, I love hiking so much, I hope I'll never be through WITH hiking so maybe there should be a different phrase to attest to one's situation, like still-hiker.
But that kinda implies that I'm standing still, the opposite idea entirely, so now I'm just gonna be a hiker and screw all the fancy labels that come with it.

Jefe
12-15-2011, 18:24
I have met many thru-hikers that are good people just having a good time and are very good natured and friendly to all. I have also detected thruleetists (thru-1337-ist) who stand out like a disturbance in the force. I choose to relate to the former...

Jefe
12-15-2011, 18:31
Ok, back to the first tangent this thread went off into.

First of all I understand a thru-hiker not having to make reservations in the GSMNP due to the uncertainty of his arrival at the gates of the park. What I don't understand is that a Thru can tent at a shelter but no one else can. ergo...

Scenario: I am a section hiker who can plan my arrival at the gates of the park down to the hour. I make my reservations for Spence Field Shelter for the first night. I arrive there in the early afternoon. Rain is falling all around. I look inside the shelter and it has about 14 thru-hikers inside it. Which one of them vacates the shelter for me?

Flame on...

max patch
12-15-2011, 19:19
I'm not going to doublecheck the exact numbers but the gist of the reservation process is...

Shelter has capacity of 8. GSMNP will accept up to 6 reserved spots. If no thruhikers show up shelter will have 2 empty spots. If 2 thruhikers show up then the shelter will be full. If 3 thruhikers show up then one of them has to tent outside.

If you have a reservation and the shelter is full of thruhikers someone has to leave the shelter and camp outside. If they are all a-holes and no one leaves - and you don't want to force the issue - then you get to camp outside. Lucky you!!! If a ranger shows up explain the situation and you won't get ticketed.

max patch
12-15-2011, 19:22
If they are all a-holes and no one leaves - and you don't want to force the issue - then you get to camp outside.

All thru hikers are not a-holes despite what is written ad nauseum by some of the usual suspects. In this situation I can promise you that someone will leave and make room for you.

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 19:26
All thru hikers are not a-holes despite what is written ad nauseum by some of the usual suspects. In this situation I can promise you that someone will leave and make room for you.ive met hundreds of thru hikers over the years, and the good guys outnumber the bad guys by at least 10 to 1.
anyway, if all thru hikers were a**holes, they wouldnt be called thru hikers.
in answer to ther OP, the term has as much importance as you want to attach to it. its really unimportant unless you've finished.

MuddyWaters
12-15-2011, 19:47
You can call yourself a thru-hiker, but you really aren't until you hike, non-stop, from the geological terminus of the Appalachian mountain range on the Continent of North America. I'll give you a pass on the continents of Europe and Africa.

The southern geological terminus of the Appalachian mountain range is in Tannehill State Park in McCalla, Alabama. Only a few hundred more miles from Springer. This is why some people are lobbying for the Pinhoti Trail to be added to the AT, Springer is simply an arbitrary stopping point, not the end of the Appalachians.

Jefe
12-15-2011, 19:57
Ok. I vowed to never ask a question here. But I probably already have. If I'm ever going to get the Smokies check off my list, I needs to know.

I'm a hanger. I see no mention of accommodating that form of spending the night. Are there "rules" for that too? Technically it isn't tenting.... :)

MuddyWaters
12-15-2011, 20:05
I think your definition of a thru-hiker is extremely unfair. None of your descriptions applied to me or many of the people I hiked with this year.

Dont mean it as a definition, I said many, not all, or even most.

bamboo bob
12-15-2011, 21:28
Egad are you trolling or serious?

The exact opposite of your opinion is just another opinion. Just to set the record straight I will be hiking to be in the great outdoors and to mark a turning point in my life.

As far as

That partying dope etc, is exactly the behavior of short timers who are gone by Harpers Ferry NOT the majority of thruhikers at all

MuddyWaters
12-15-2011, 22:01
That partying dope etc, is exactly the behavior of short timers who are gone by Harpers Ferry NOT the majority of thruhikers at all

I dont disagree with that. But some people have the same view of hikers in general, at least southern AT hikers. The people with the most respect for are other hikers, including section hikers. I wouldnt say the general population really gives a rats a$$, and a few think they are mostly just bums, dopers and old hippies anyway.

My point was, who really cares about the label?
I dont think many do, except occassionally a misguided attempting thru hiker that thinks they are something really special.

Cookerhiker
12-15-2011, 23:15
In '05 when I section hiked 700 miles in various portions to finish the AT, I met prospective thruhikers both when I hiked NC/TN in May and Maine in Aug/Sept. I liked them all - very few had any of the negative traits described above. In fact, I really appreciated - and said so in my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005) - how the young thruhikers I met in Maine accepted me as part of their community even though I only joined them at Gorham (and of course, never kept up with them).

BrianLe
12-16-2011, 13:45
Jefe wrote:

"I arrive there in the early afternoon. Rain is falling all around. I look inside the shelter and it has about 14 thru-hikers inside it. Which one of them vacates the shelter for me?"

You get there in the EARLY AFTERNOON and there are 14 thru-hikers inside? Really? I did the AT on the early side, so maybe I don't know what's normal for the middle part of the herd, but that strikes me as improbable. Folks are generally out there doing the miles until well past early afternoon.

jacquelineanngrant wrote:

"If youre starting in March much farther north you won't see too many other thru-hikers and will miss out on a big part of the experience. You will also be way ahead of all the gatherings and hiker feeds."

And all of those things are good things, recommended ... :-)
Seriously, Jacqueline, you and I hiked the same year, and there are great experiences to be had with different times of doing it. I'm sorry that we never met, but the fewer people that were on trail when I started were some just wonderful folks, and I didn't feel the need for more people to compete with for, I don't know, space in a hostel or whatever. The trail seemed plenty crowded as it was, at least from Virginia onwards.

Tinker
12-16-2011, 16:16

It only REALLY matters if it matters to YOU. It doesn't get you much credit among folks who have done long sections. A thruhike is just a bunch of section hikes linked together, except that you get to keep your trail friends longer. Stress injuries as a result of multiple high mileage days are probably the major difference, as well as planning your budget and keeping track of time to make it to Katahdin before it closes for the winter. Sobo's don't have to worry about that, either.

Hoofit
12-16-2011, 17:01

Muddy waters, you either either seriously deluded or having a larf!
There are so many quality people out there thru-hiking and hey, maybe they choose to be unemployed because they have worked their butt off to take six months off and hike the trail...
Have you thru-hiked yourself because you seem a little jealous of those who have.
Lighten up, you may just meet some good, less opinionated thru-hikers.
As for me, total respect to anyone that gets out there to hike and enjoy themselves, whatever kind of hiker they are.
And for anyone that has thru-hiked, hey, well done.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 17:28
If it matters to you,then it matters.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 17:29
boy that's a strange word,,,,matters.

Avalanche1
12-19-2011, 15:23
Just enjoy the hike--then you could be called a "happy hiker"--a far more worthwhile goal.

jacquelineanngrant
12-21-2011, 15:12
You are right. It's a great experience regardless. I was just throwing the info out there in case that was a concern for Rocketsocks. I didn't know anything about the culture of the trail before I did my thru, and I thought maybe someone new to the experience might not have thought of the social aspect of it. I see you are a tripple crowner. Congrats! I'll get there one of these days.

jacquelineanngrant
12-21-2011, 15:41
You are right. It's a great experience regardless. I was just throwing the info out there in case that was a concern for Rocketsocks. I didn't know anything about the culture of the trail before I did my thru, and I thought maybe someone new to the experience might not have thought of the social aspect of it. I see you are a tripple crowner. Congrats! I'll get there one of these days. Sorry I meant Lady of the Woods not Rocketsocks. And I meant to respond to BrianLe. I am not one with the computer today.

rocketsocks
12-21-2011, 15:58
Sorry I meant Lady of the Woods not Rocketsocks. And I meant to respond to BrianLe. I am not one with the computer today.No worries mate.I was just thinking about that word(matters)not in the context of this or any post just an observation.WE say things like Matters of the heart,
it dose'nt Matter,and my favorite what's the Matter.

Papa D
12-21-2011, 18:37
I think that you should go ahead and refer to yourself as a thru hiker in terms of your GSMNP permit (which is what they consider anyone starting more than 50 miles outside the part) -- beyond that - hike your own hike -- tell folks you are hiking the whole trail -- if, when you get close to being done, you want to refer to yourself as a thru-hiker (and you have made an honest attempt to walk past every white blaze), go ahead with the title -- it'll be appropriate

sbhikes
12-21-2011, 20:10
When I hiked the PCT I would try to tell the thru-hikers that I wasn't a thru-hiker. The first time I hiked it I was only hiking the state of California. They would tell me, no, come on, you can go the whole way. I'd tell them I didn't want to go the whole way. They preferred to just not believe I wasn't going to do the whole thing. The second time I hiked the PCT I would tell people I wasn't a thru-hiker because I started my hike in Santa Barbara and I bounced around the bottom half of my giant section picking up missed pieces from the year before. They'd tell me that didn't matter, I was still a thru-hiker. Even though I wasn't going end-to-end and wasn't even continuous in the section I was doing. They seemed to think it was a far enough distance to qualify me to be a thru-hiker.

I don't know, being or not being a thru-hiker seems to matter way more to people on Internet message boards than it did in real life. I always tried to be honest about my status as a thru-hiker, and continue to, but in real life out on the trail, they wanted me to be a thru-hiker, so I was one, even though I wasn't.

Doctari
12-22-2011, 00:17
In my Humble opinion, you are an actual Thru hiker for a few minutes at best. Until you get to the Springer or Kathadin sign/plaque you are a 'Potential Thru hiker" after which you are a "Former Thru hiker".
Other than that, as mentioned, it allows you to sign in & hike the Smokies without a reservation.

Aram
12-29-2011, 16:29
I've been dreaming a MEGA 'walk home' for a few years. I'm just an opportunistic hiker with a couple dreams and goals. For me Thru-hiking is not a title, it's a journey. Call it what you want and let the rest call it what they want. Many walk for many reasons. Some may reach milestones, some may only ever dream.

I won't feel like a thru hiker until I'm cold, wet, hungry, sore, and want to go home... and just keep walking.:banana

May the HIKE be with You!

RWheeler
12-29-2011, 16:34
It's important if you think it is.

BrianLe
12-29-2011, 17:05
Diane said:

"I don't know, being or not being a thru-hiker seems to matter way more to people on Internet message boards than it did in real life."

I think that's dead on. Some thru-hikers might care about the distinction, particularly early on, but at some point I think it's more about how you fit into the 'culture'. If you walk like a duck, swim like a duck, quack like a duck, and have feathers like a duck, then it doesn't matter if you started at one border (or mountain in the case of the AT) and are hiking all the way to the other on the same trip. You're a duck.

My wife has joined me for sections on a couple of trips, and she trained hard before coming out and was doing 20's right out of the gate. I and others quickly forgot that she wasn't just another thru-hiker, because she was doing the miles and fit in. Pretty nice, too, to at least temporarily have a 'trail bride' (for hitch hiking) who was in fact my actual bride! :-)

SwitchbackVT
12-29-2011, 18:06
AMC Huts - Many section hikers will call themselves Thruhikers in the Presidentials, in order to get coveted work-for-stay spots at the AMC Huts. Thats the only time I gave the Section Hiker Vs. Thruhiker disparity any thought, and pretty much the only time it really matters (being above treeline, etc). Those limited spots are reserved for real thruhikers who can't afford the $90 bunk, and competition is very high during peak months. That aspect of the AMC huts really (REALLY) bothered me: hikers being forced to compete against eachother. Obviously you can stealth camp, but those spots fill up fast too (especially on Mt. Madison in a storm).

HYOH, but be respectful and follow the Golden Rule, regardless of what you call yourself.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2011, 19:13
It only matters if you think it does. Why should you care what you call yourself when you go out on the trail? Just be a hiker.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2011, 21:06
these days in some towns if you label yourself a "thru-hiker" it equals " i am special. treat me so"

Chaco Taco
12-29-2011, 21:33
these days in some towns if you label yourself a "thru-hiker" it equals " i am special. treat me so" As much as it pains me to admit this, the dog has it right

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2011, 22:38
i never considered myself special being a thruhiker, always paid my own way,left my donations and tipped my waitresses(sad but some don't)
gave respect to get respect and always used my manners my parents taught me. can't group all of us together. sad some ruin it for everyone else.

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2011, 22:40
i always believed you were thruhiking to become a 2,000 miler or you were section hiking to become a 2,000 miler
if you are not a thruhiker until you complete the trail, are you not a section hiker until you complete the trail :-)

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2011, 22:50
and like LW always says,its just walking! :-)
too much drama on the ole' computor
glad i hiked, before i knew i was doing everything wrong :-)

Wolf - 23000
12-30-2011, 01:18
It's your hike. Does it matter to you? Who cares what others think?

Wolf

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2011, 01:28
It's your hike. Does it matter to you? Who cares what others think?

Wolfeasy for you to say, being in hawaii :-)
just joking, great advice!

BrianLe
01-01-2012, 16:06
SwitchbackVT said:

"AMC Huts - Many section hikers will call themselves Thruhikers in the Presidentials, in order to get coveted work-for-stay spots at the AMC Huts. Thats the only time I gave the Section Hiker Vs. Thruhiker disparity any thought, and pretty much the only time it really matters (being above treeline, etc). Those limited spots are reserved for real thruhikers who can't afford the $90 bunk, and competition is very high during peak months. That aspect of the AMC huts really (REALLY) bothered me: hikers being forced to compete against eachother."

Another reason to be out on the early side, though for me that was about when the leading edge of SOBOs and NOBOs were running into each other, so even though you might be aware of the relatively few NOBOs around you, it could still be a crap shoot that there would be no --- or several --- SOBOs at a hut when you got there.

In terms of the work-for-stay being limited to those who can't (or don't want to) pay $90 when they had hitherto been sleeping for free for months, it's not just about that. I was actually open to paying up if I could get a meal, but they literally wouldn't sell me food --- my only option was to wash dishes or the like and eat leftovers. Seemed kind of crazy to me, but I was happy to eat (lots and lots of great) leftovers and sleep on a table, no worries there. OTOH, I was even more happy to get out of that sort of "controlled environment" once out of the Whites.

Nean
01-01-2012, 17:37
I'm not sure it matters to the huts. I always seem to have great luck there, thru or section.
The only time it seemed to matter was with old thrus doing Thru Only trail magic.
They were free to do that of course, as I was free to view them as fools...

waasj
01-01-2012, 17:59
Don't sweat the petty things (and don't pet the sweaty things). The exhalted title of THRU HIKER ( or THROUGH HIKER) is just a petty thing. Won't get you any discounts at the movie theater or anything. Just hike your hike and enjoy!!For the Smokies, you are considered eligible as a thru if you start 50 miles out of the park north or south, so all that means is that if you start at Fontana, you have to register for shelters, a relativly painless process involving talking to a generaly pleasent ranger on the phone 2 months before you go.

lemon b
01-01-2012, 18:45
This is an age question. WGIF. However, we all respect anyone who even does the yellow blazes just to complete the road. Bottom line I heard from this guy with big feet is hike your own hike I can take care of myself.

Odd Man Out
01-02-2012, 16:38
I hike until I'm though (i.e. done, had enough), thus I am a through hiker.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-03-2012, 20:26
does not matter its all hiking

Nean
01-04-2012, 16:28
it seems to matter to some... mostly non hikers. Many times I'll be asked, Are you doing the whole trail? Tell 'em only half and they seem disappointed. Then the guy next to you who has skipped half the trail to that point and has no intention, time or money to do the rest IS a thruhiker and all is well on the group W bench....

Other times people seem interested or impressed with a hike and so you tell them you have done it a time or few and they look at you funny and walk away.

Not a lot of what we do for recreation really matters at the end of the day....

msupple
01-04-2012, 20:00

I've put much thought into this very subject lately. (well....kinda) My wife and I did a 120 mile section hike last summer, attended Trail Days, hiked with thru hikers and generally soaked up a lot of trail culture. We felt totally accepted by the thru hiker community throughout our hike. We left the trail wanting more and immediately started thinking about future hiking plans. I began pouring over books and ordered a couple of AT videos. Before long I found myself fantasizing about and planning my own thru hike. Somewhat to my surprise my wife not only accepted my plans but began to support me. She said she would join me some of the sections but probably did not want to do a thru.

Since then I have begun to question my motives for doing a thru hike and question what it is I really like about backpacking. I found that I liked the camping as much as the hiking. I also discovered that I really liked hanging out and meeting the other hikers. A also thought about and observed the thru hikers during our hike. It seemed to me that they were all obsessed with the mileage and I could always sense their pressure to get to Maine in time. I always felt they were missing out on so much the trail has to offer. I thought about how much fun it would be if I could hang out in a really cool trail town for a couple extra days if I wanted or lay in my hammock with a good book to wait out a rain. How cool would it be to linger at a view or take a blue blaze to a waterfall or other great site. I saw no thru hikers taking the time for this, mostly because they didn't have the time.

That's when I started to rethink my plans. Every time I thought about being able to take my time it made me smile. Every time I thought of having to hike rain or shine to make a deadline....not so much. As a result of much soul searching and giving up the title of thru hiker we have decided to still hike from Ga to Maine but do it in two seasons. We plan on leaving Springer this year on or about April 1st and hiking to at least Harpers Ferry. The following season we'll pick up where we left off. I'm intentionally leaving early enough so that if I change my mind (doubt it) I'll still have time to make it all the way in one season. I/we want to soak up all the trail has to offer, if I want to stop for a while, I will with no reservations. If I want to do 20 milers, I will but I'll be just as happy with ten. I want to meet as many hikers and townies as I can. I want to really experience the trail. Having said all that there is something somewhere deep in me that regrets not doing it in one season. So...to answer you question...I guess it does matter just a little. I guess we'll just have to see. I hope I'm making the right decision. Thru hiker is just a word.....right? :)

BrianLe
01-04-2012, 22:01
msupple, I think this is a really wise choice. Some folks on the CDT this year (last year?) were talking about the concept of "chunk" hiking as something in between a section and a thru. Seems like a real sweet spot to me, hike long enough to get totally into trail shape and to forget your "normal life" for a good bit, but not take so much time all in one go and/or (as you say) smell more roses along the way. This is IMO even more of a viable approach on the other long trails; on the AT, at least, one has a good, what, 7 month window to hike in a given year without even having to flip-flop or deal with a lot of winter weather.

I doubt I'll do another thru-hike, but I could see me doing some 'chunks' in future.

msupple
01-05-2012, 01:49
msupple, I think this is a really wise choice. Some folks on the CDT this year (last year?) were talking about the concept of "chunk" hiking as something in between a section and a thru. Seems like a real sweet spot to me, hike long enough to get totally into trail shape and to forget your "normal life" for a good bit, but not take so much time all in one go and/or (as you say) smell more roses along the way. This is IMO even more of a viable approach on the other long trails; on the AT, at least, one has a good, what, 7 month window to hike in a given year without even having to flip-flop or deal with a lot of winter weather.

I doubt I'll do another thru-hike, but I could see me doing some 'chunks' in future.

"Chunk Hiking"...dood I think you just invented some new trail jargon! When they ask me what the hell I'm doing, my response will be.....Chunking! I will be a chunkER and you will be the ChunkEE. Thanks for the support...I think I'm making the right decision.