PDA

View Full Version : Monutain Hardwear Phanton 32 degrees alright for bag?

imaginateer
12-15-2011, 01:29
I'm looking at buying a phantom 32 degree bag. Is that too cold? Will adding a 25 degree liner add enough warmth? I'm starting a thru late february in Georgia.

garlic08
12-15-2011, 09:17
You probably want more bag. I started my thru hike in early April with an excellent Marmot Helium 15 and it was barely enough then. I had a few nights of wintry weather in the high country, temps in the teens and blowing snow. I could have stayed out of the high country and done OK with a lesser bag, but the cost of the extra nights sitting out the cold weather in towns would have paid for the warmer bag I carried.

STICK
12-18-2011, 02:35
I would want more bag than that too just to be on the safe side. And I wouldn't count on that 25* boost from a liner. If you are going to start with this combo I would definitely spend as many nights as possible outside in your set up to see how it works for you. This will give you a hint to whether or not it will work out for you better than we can tell you.

Papa D
12-18-2011, 03:28
Really, a lot depends on the weather and how "cold you sleep" - you might find that you are really just fine or really cold. You should probably add at least a down jacket or down sweater, sleep wearing a warm fleece or wool stocking cap, and at least start out with a fairly thick sleeping pad if this is the bag you are going with. If you have a bona-fide nalgene bottle, you can boil water, seal tight and add a hot water bottle to your bag -- you won't want to go through this trouble every night, but it can add about equal to 10 degrees rating to your bag for about 6 hours. A 25 degree rating means that you will be uncomfortable (but survive) at that temperature. In February, the average GA / NC mountain night temperature is probably a little below that and regularly gets into the teens and lower (especially in the GSMNP and areas nearby) -- it could also be as warm as 45 but this would be unusual - - March and even early April are not guaranteed to be warm either. My strong suggestion (unless you are a regular winter trekker and have a really good feel about it) is that you start with a ZERO degree rated down bag at a minimum -- you can rent one if you need to -- this will virtually insure your warmth at night (as long as you keep it protected and dry). Ship your M.H. Phantom Bag just north of the GSMNP -- to Hot Springs maybe and trade out there -- if it's still too cold for it, bounce it on to Damascus -- Damascus should be between 4 or 5 weeks into the average NOBOs hike -- even starting in February (which is early), you will probably be fine with a 32 degree bag from there.

Mundele
12-18-2011, 08:14
I've got this bag and a marmot hydrogen 30 degree bag and although there's only a 2 degree difference in rating the marmot, to me, is a much warmer bag. I am a cold sleeper though.

I'd take the others advice and get a warmer bag. Not being miserable is a good thing.

bigcranky
12-18-2011, 17:45
My wife had a Phantom 32. Nice bag, but I thought it was underfilled. No such thing as a "25 degree liner," so I'd want a much warmer bag for a late-Feb start. At least a good 15-F bag, and if it were me I would take my 5-F winter bag (WM Antelope.)

Ohio Grown
12-24-2011, 13:46
I also have a Phantom 32 that I was hoping to use, got it at a steep discount. We're starting in mid-March so I was wondering if that would allow to skip buying a 20 or 15 degree bag. My plan was to use my Reactor liner, long underwear, hat, warm socks, and possibly down vest, if needed for a bit then eventually switch to just using a silk liner and the phantom 32. Does this sound reasonable for a mid-March start? My girlfriend/hiking partner is starting to freak out about only having 32 deg. bags but the idea of buying another one doesn't excite me. We were also planning on zipping our bags together and I'm not sure if this actually increases warmth by having another persons heat in the space or decreases efficiency by having a gap between you at the top of the bags?

Enic
12-24-2011, 14:22
I also have a Phantom 32 that I was hoping to use, got it at a steep discount. We're starting in mid-March so I was wondering if that would allow to skip buying a 20 or 15 degree bag. My plan was to use my Reactor liner, long underwear, hat, warm socks, and possibly down vest, if needed for a bit then eventually switch to just using a silk liner and the phantom 32. Does this sound reasonable for a mid-March start? My girlfriend/hiking partner is starting to freak out about only having 32 deg. bags but the idea of buying another one doesn't excite me. We were also planning on zipping our bags together and I'm not sure if this actually increases warmth by having another persons heat in the space or decreases efficiency by having a gap between you at the top of the bags?

In my experience, zipping together is great for the cuddle factor, but does NOT help keep warmer. Quite the opposite, by zipping together you make a much larger area that needs to be warmed, and adds bigger area for drafts to come in. I use a 20 degree bag for most all of the trips I take, but often opened as a quilt in the summer. I guess this is just food for thought.