PDA

View Full Version : Datc designation event

trailangelmary
12-15-2011, 13:54
Duncannon has been approved as an official Appalachian Trail Community. The designation event is planned for June 2, 2012. This will include not only a ceremony for the designation, but also a town festival with the theme “SAVING OUR COMMUNITY FROM NATURE DEFICIT DISORDER”.
For this event, our hope is that our Committee comprised of local officials, community members, business owners, representatives of non-profit organizations and trail clubs and our team of dedicated volunteers will be able to offer outdoor recreation activities for all members of the greater Duncannon area, especially for those children and adults who do not otherwise have the opportunity to participate in these activities.
We hope that the event’s theme will carry over into all changes being considered for Duncannon, including: Apple Tree Alley, improved river access, beautification of the town square, and fulfilling an Appalachian Trail Community’s purpose to act as a catalyst for enhancing economic development, engaging citizens as trail visitors and stewards, aiding local municipalities and regional areas with conservation planning and helping local community members see the trail as a resource. We hope to encourage all to go to the outdoors to enjoy nature and to recognize the connection between the health and abundance of our area’s natural assets and the vitality of our communities.
Presentations and events will include guided hikes and canoe trips; a vendor area for clubs, organizations and retail vendors associated with the trail and outdoor recreation; live musical entertainment, a panel on hiker culture; Trail to Every Classroom “Quests”; Mini A.T. Georgia-to-Maine Race; and presentations on native plants, Leave No Trace, A.T. Boundaries, Native American storytelling, and A.T. storytelling. Food will also be available. Closing the day will be prizes and awards presentations including the Susquenita Middle School post card art contest, keynote speakers, and the proclamation ceremony for Appalachian Trail Community designation.

Mike2012
12-15-2011, 17:41
I love the theme. :) I'm not sure where I will be on June 2nd but if I am near I will go.

trailangelmary
12-21-2011, 04:10
I love the theme. :) I'm not sure where I will be on June 2nd but if I am near I will go.
I take it you will be attempting a thru-hike. Best of luck but more important is the decision to go on. It is grand challenge. But no matter what the obstacle I hope you decide that quitting is not an option. I hope we have the chance to meet in Duncannon no matter when you come through.

Sly
12-21-2011, 04:49
It should be noted, and worth mentioning, the DATC designation event, on June 2, is also National Trail Day.

trailangelmary
12-22-2011, 00:32
Graphics Chairperson Susan Norris also a member of SATC has finished the t-shirt design for our event. It was first inspired by Paul Smith, Music and Arts Chairperson and recently chosen as an ATC Ambassador. 14661

trailangelmary
12-28-2011, 17:47
DATC Advisory Committee Board
Mary “trailangelmary” Parry, Lead Volunteer, Designation Event Coordinator, Finance Chair
Paul Smith, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Music and Arts, ATC Ambassador
Susan Norris, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Graphics
Linda Britcher, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Business Participation
Fred Lauster, Duncannon Borough Council, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Logistics
Malissa Hoover, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Trail to Every Classroom
Kim McKee, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, Advisor and Act 24 Coordinator, Sub-Committee Event Chairperson Advertising
DATC Advisory Committee Sub-Committees
Graphics – Susan Norris, Chair; Members – Karen Allen-Reckert, Paul Smith, Annie Leiby, Malissa Hoover, Mark Lukens, Brandon Gallagher
Advertising – Kim McKee, Sarah Kramer
Finance – Mary Parry, Chair; Members – Matt Smith, Fred Lauster, Paul Smith, David Snyder, Jerry Bell
Music and Arts – Paul Smith, Chair; Members – David Snyder
Businesses – Linda Britcher, Chair Members – All businesses on Market St invited
Logistics – Fred Lauster, Chair; Members – to be determined
TTEC – Malissa Hoover, Chair; members – Paul Marth, Pat Wood, Rick Knepp

shelterbuilder
12-28-2011, 18:35
THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN! However, with all of the work that I'm currently doing on the Rausch Gap Shelter Resoration Project, I just can't make plans that far in advance. Please keep us all posted as the time draws near.

trailangelmary
12-29-2011, 08:49
THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN! However, with all of the work that I'm currently doing on the Rausch Gap Shelter Resoration Project, I just can't make plans that far in advance. Please keep us all posted as the time draws near.

We'd love to have you. We're having presentations too. You could talk about maintenance and maybe inspire some of the younger generation to get involved.

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 04:06
Duncannon Appalachian Trail Panel Design Finalized The design has been finalized for the Appalachian Trail interpretive panel as part of Susquehanna Greenway's River Towns initiative. The content and funding for the panel was provided by Mountain Club of Maryland rep Mike O'Connor through a grant from MCM's Miles Fund. SEDA-COG's Adam Wynn assisted with the layout and graphic design work.

The Susquehanna Greenway Driving Tour Panel has been installed in front of Old Sled Works.
http://susquehannagreenway.org

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 04:33
ATC Appoints A.T. Ambassador in Duncannon
Advisory Committee Arts & Music Chair Paul Smith has been named an A.T. Community Ambassador for Duncannon! Paul will join nine other A.T. Community Ambassadors along the whole Trail corridor as a local community representative trained to facilitate outreach to community members and youth groups for volunteer stewardship projects. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is very excited to have Paul on board for this position as he's done awesome work and brought great ideas and enthusiasm to the A.T. Community Committee in Duncannon since its formation this past summer. Paul will be key in future projects of our group.

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 04:38
The next Advisory Committee Meeting will be held January 12 at 6:30 PM at the Duncannon Borough Building. The main agenda of the meeting will be the January Priorities which include
Discussion and vote on event venue (Downtown/Noyes park vs. Cooper Field)
Artists needed for window decorations and mural
Fundraising donations, 501c3 status, Grant Proposal team, Grant deadlines
Printing contributors
Manning event central commitments

Any potential volunteers are welcome to attend.

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 04:51
The initial deadline of commitments is due to Trailangelmary by January 10. This does not mean you can longer sign up to help make our dream come true. However making plans for this big event has timelines. Some volunteers and organizations need more time. That is fine. We can accept commitments until the last minute. However, the printing deadline will be approaching rapidly.
Just please let trailangelmary know if you want to be involved and when you will be able to commit.

Help is needed in many areas - hike leaders and sweepers. trail music talent, logistics committee, greeters, hiker culture panel and more. Contact Mary to receive a commitment form via email as an attachment.

Donations will also be accepted of cash, books, bandanas and gear. Books, bandanas and gear will be used for prizes. Cash donations will be used to offset the many expenses.

shelterbuilder
01-08-2012, 10:40
We'd love to have you. We're having presentations too. You could talk about maintenance and maybe inspire some of the younger generation to get involved.

Well, I'd love to be able to, but unfortunately, vocal cord cancer has left me unable to pass on this "wealth of information" that people seem to think I have (LOL). I do okay in very small groups that are close enough to hear me whisper, and I can "speak" on paper, but large groups just don't work.

But thanks, anyway.

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 11:54
More book donations wanted for prizes. The following have committed to date
The Barefoot Sisters "Walking Home" and "Southbound",
Larry Luxenberg Walking the Appalachian Trail,
Randy “Windtalker” Motz & Georgia “Mom” Harris "Solemates" and “The Walk”,
Terry “Bluebird” Croteau "Footpath My Ass!",
Jennifer “Odyssa” Pharr Davis "Becoming Odyssa",
Albert Dragon "Avalanche and Gorilla Jim",

trailangelmary
01-08-2012, 18:51
PRESENTATIONS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY AFTERNOON
o Deb Tashak Native American Story Telling,
o Deb Tashak Leave No Trace,
o “Avalanche” Albert Dragon Appalachian Trail Story Telling,
o Hiker Culture Panel - “City Slicker” Rachel Schwartz, NEED 2 MORE for panel
o Steven Saffier Audubon PA Landscaping for birds & wildlife using native plants
o Allison "Laces" Scheiderer Map & Compass Use

trailangelmary
01-20-2012, 13:27
More book donations wanted for prizes. The following have committed to date
The Barefoot Sisters "Walking Home" and "Southbound",
Larry Luxenberg Walking the Appalachian Trail,
Randy “Windtalker” Motz & Georgia “Mom” Harris "Solemates" and “The Walk”,
Terry “Bluebird” Croteau "Footpath My Ass!",
Jennifer “Odyssa” Pharr Davis "Becoming Odyssa",
Albert Dragon "Avalanche and Gorilla Jim",

Thank you to all for additional book donations:
Gene Espy, "The Trails of my Life, The Gene Espy Story"
Charlie "Linguini" Duane "Racing Light, The Soft Power of a Day's Walk" 4 copies
Scott Wade, "PA Big Trees" 2 copies

trailangelmary
01-20-2012, 13:49
Thank you to those who have commited to donating a print to be used as a prize:
Martin "The Edge" Hunley - Waterfall Print http://www.tripofalifetimephotos.com/
Darlene King, D. King Photography, AT Class of 2012 http://faithking2265.imagekind.com
Mary "Welsh Nomad" Morgan,AT Class of 2004(?)
http://www.marymorgansphotos.com/

trailangelmary
01-20-2012, 13:51
Thank you to all for additional book donations:
Gene Espy, "The Trails of my Life, The Gene Espy Story"
Charlie "Linguini" Duane "Racing Light, The Soft Power of a Day's Walk" 4 copies
Scott Wade, "PA Big Trees" 2 copies

And another one
J. R. "Model T" Tate "Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers, Lore and Legends of the Appalachian Trail"

trailangelmary
01-20-2012, 14:07
Anyone willing to donate an item relating to the trail and the outdoors can send to Mary "Trailangelmary" Parry 2 Ann St Duncannon, PA 17020. My wish list includes books relating to the trail, quality prints relating to the outdoors, and hiking gear.
We plan on a Mini AT Race for 5 age groups 6-8,9-10,11-13,14-16, Open. My dream is to award gear to the winner of each group. Included in that dream is at least one overnight pack including tent or hammock, sleeping bag, trekking poles, headlamp, and stove and cook pot. I would also like to award some day packs, trekking poles, headlamps,and binoculars.

LDog
01-20-2012, 14:26
I've got this on my calendar. But unless I'm really moving, I'll be somewhere on the wrong side of Harper's Ferry ...

trailangelmary
01-21-2012, 15:08
I've got this on my calendar. But unless I'm really moving, I'll be somewhere on the wrong side of Harper's Ferry ...
You could enter on the ride board and maybe someone will be coming from that area. We may actually have several coming from that area. You could also post it on our facebook group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duncannontrailtown/

trailangelmary
01-21-2012, 15:17
Committed additions to Hiker Culture Panel:
Michael “G-Hippie” Muzzillo AT 2010
Alicia “Eureka”McCormick AT 2011

trailangelmary
01-21-2012, 15:18
Committed additions to Hiker Culture Panel:
Michael “G-Hippie” Muzzillo AT 2010
Alicia “Eureka”McCormick AT 2011

So, I have 1 of the class of 2011 and 2 of the class of 2010. How about some different year AT class??

LDog
01-21-2012, 16:17
You could enter on the ride board and maybe someone will be coming from that area. We may actually have several coming from that area. You could also post it on our facebook group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duncannontrailtown/

Thanks, I'll check those out.

trailangelmary
01-21-2012, 20:43
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80305-Duncannon-PA

takethisbread
02-15-2012, 05:28
Mary, i will shoot you an email soon, i can donate one of these prizes.
Anyone willing to donate an item relating to the trail and the outdoors can send to Mary "Trailangelmary" Parry 2 Ann St Duncannon, PA 17020. My wish list includes books relating to the trail, quality prints relating to the outdoors, and hiking gear.
We plan on a Mini AT Race for 5 age groups 6-8,9-10,11-13,14-16, Open. My dream is to award gear to the winner of each group. Included in that dream is at least one overnight pack including tent or hammock, sleeping bag, trekking poles, headlamp, and stove and cook pot. I would also like to award some day packs, trekking poles, headlamps,and binoculars.

trailangelmary
02-15-2012, 19:10
Mary, i will shoot you an email soon, i can donate one of these prizes.

Awesome, thank you.

trailangelmary
02-15-2012, 19:24
Our entertainment schedule for June 2, 2012 has been finalized.
THANK YOU TO ALL THESE ARTISTS WHO ARE VOLUNTEERING!
ON THE STAGE
11:00 Mark Lukens
11:45 Antonio Andrade, classic rock, 70’s
12:30 Brian “Nimble” McPherson Fun, sometimes energetic, sometime relaxed folk music that I share at the end of a good hike
12:45 Hiker Culture Panel — Thru-hikers answer questions about their experience on the trail. Listen to inspiring and heart warming stories. “City Slicker”, “G-hippie”, “Eureka”,”Turtle”
1:30 Morgan “Folksinger” Evans “Folksy” with a wee touch of humor, songs inspired by the trail
1:45 Randy “Windtalker” Motz 2006 A.T. thru-hiker will be performing his unique style of contemporary Native American-style flute music,* music he calls, "Native SoundScapes". For years, "Windtalker" has been bringing his special brand of music, a blending Native American flute with lush orchestration and Native percussion, to festivals, coffee houses, wineries, schools, churches, private parties and other intimate venues.
http://www.qualtechresourcegroup.com/Windtalker_index.html
2:45 David Snyder & The Disturbinators, Blues, finely ages, properly disturbed, vintagely prepared. Guaranteed to make even the meekest of floor flounderers into dancing dynamos; not for the faint of heart or potatoes of the couch variety. Booking info: 717-582-7461
3:45 Susquenita Middle School Band
And closing the day following the Designation Ceremony - Susquenita Middle School Chorus

trailangelmary
02-15-2012, 19:27
Please like our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DuncannonATC

trailangelmary
02-15-2012, 19:47
Duncannon Record Feb 9, 2012

trailangelmary
02-20-2012, 08:09
Tuesday, February 21 7:30 PM Duncannon Borough Council Meeting. On the agenda - request for approval of all planned activities to be held downtown Duncannon. Request advisory committee members fill the room in support.

trailangelmary
02-21-2012, 10:27
Hike Scavenger Hunt cards are ready to go to print. There will also be one created for the river trips.

trailangelmary
04-06-2012, 15:15
River scavenger hunt cards are ready to go to print. Thank you Graphics chair Susan Norris.

trailangelmary
04-06-2012, 15:18
Pre-Event Brochure has been printed.

trailangelmary
04-06-2012, 15:29
As of March 26, 2012 the Executive Board of the DATC Advisory Committee has some additions. The Interim Executive Board appointees (until such time as an election takes place) now totals 9. Board members include:
Mary "Trailangelmary" Parry, Coordinator
Paul Smith, Co-Coordinator
Fred Lauster, Duncannon Borough Council
Mike O'Connor, Mountain Club of Maryland Representative
Linda Britcher, Sub-Committee Chair Businesses
Susan Norris, Sub-Committee Chair Graphics
Paul Marth, Trails to Every Classroom Representative
Robert Peiffer, Chamber of Commerce Representative
Kim McKee, Appalachian Trail Conservancy Representative, Act 24 Coordinator

trailangelmary
04-23-2012, 14:19
The Updated schedule is attached. Hope to recruit lots of hiker famiily to help with logistics! Countdown 40 days!

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 01:03
Spent 10 hours today in the planning for the DATC Designation event to be held June 2. In the process I met with the mural artist, I asked her what pieces are missing ? She responded. "scaffolding". So our plan was for us to contact each other when we had a solution. I went to the VFW - scaffolding donation solved but no planks. So went to the Legion - plank issue resolved! Solution within 4 hours! I love when a plan comes together!! http://www.duncannonappalachiantrailcommunity.com/Home_Page.php (Spent 10 hours today in the planning for the DATC Designation event to be held June 2. In the process I met with the mural artist, I asked her what pieces are missing ? She responded. "scaffolding". So our plan was for us to contact each other when we had a solution. I went to the VFW - scaffolding donation solved but no planks. So went to the Legion - plank issue resolved! Solution within 4 hours! I love when a plan comes together!! http://www.duncannonappalachiantrailcommunity.com/Home_Page.php)

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 01:14
Did a presentation with Co-Coordinator Paul Smith, SATC and KTA Representative Barb Van Horn, ATC Representative Kim McKee, and myself at the SATC Monthly Meeting. SATC President Karen Ballaban told me that they are committed to our event as their National Trails Day activity. Also received from two beautiful ladies, commitments to help at Event Central. Loving the trail family. Thank you SATC.

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 01:18
Great meeting today with assistant Girl Scout leader. Topics of discussion - Girl Scouts being "Damascus residents with squirt guns at Mini AT race course, lyme disease, volunteering at Event Central, and the Great Scout Hike.Great conversation and commitment. Another Duncannon resident inspired!

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 01:23
Have I mentioned this great event takes place June 2! Come one, come all, it's going to be great!

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 15:26
COUNTDOWN TO Duncannon Appalachian Trail Community Designation Day Event is 34 Days. If you'd like to read details and register for any part of the Event or National Trails Day Hike in the Greater Duncannon area, Go to http://www.duncannonappalachiantrailcommunity.com/Home_Page.php
Some links are not working on the schedule page. When that happens scroll down to the bottom of the page and click how you heard of event to go to the registration link.

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 15:46
TASKS COMPLETED LAST FEW DAYS - Thank You Note Winners' drawings scanned and Thank You Notes created,
Email sent to Hike Leaders for National Trails Day Hikes and River Trips,
Mailing to Duncannon businesses about event,
Photo Release forms,
email sent to Executive Board concerning agenda for next Advisory Committee meeting,
email sent to photographers with last photographers meeting minutes,
Photo Booth Ticket created,
received donations for prizes from Perry County Chamber of Commerce Representative Robert Peiffer,
received donations for prizes from ATC Representative Kim McKee,
received three copies of Avalanche and Gorilla Jim, Appalachian Trail Adventures and Other Tales,
Event Central Banner vote complete and banner ordered.

trailangelmary
04-28-2012, 15:54
1581415815158161581715818Susquenita Elementary School had a contest for the covers of our thank you notes to be mailed after the event. One winner from each grade was chosen at the April DATC Advisory Committee Meeting. Here are the winners artwork.
Congratulations to the winners!

trailangelmary
05-13-2012, 18:01
Norfolk Southern Corporation Enola Yard spent the morning Saturday volunteering in Duncannon. They smoothed out the area under the bridge at the Ann St access to the river and cleaned the swail between the railroad tracks and the homes on Market St which will help with water drainage.
Thank You to all.

trailangelmary
05-13-2012, 18:57
On Friday May 11 Mary Parry, DATC Advisory Committee Coordinator and Paul Smith, DATC Advisory Committee Co-Coordinator hung the first of three banners donated to advertise our June 2 Designation Event. We can now add another skill to our resume! It took a couple trips to the Hardware Store in Duncannon but we got it done and banner is tight! Thank You to the Anonymous donor.

trailangelmary
05-13-2012, 19:25
Countdown to event 19 days