PDA

View Full Version : Differences between calculating base weight and birth weight....

Buffalo Skipper
12-15-2011, 14:01
I was glancing at the news this morning, when I came across story about a baby who "...weighed less than a soda can when born in August..." http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500165_162-57343408/one-of-worlds-tiniest-babies-lives-to-due-date/

My first thought was, "Wow! A soda can weighs only a little over a 1/2 oz. How could a baby survive with that birth weight? Upon reading the rest of the article, I learned that the baby's birth weight was 9.5 oz, less than the weight of a full soda can.

I have been so conditioned to weigh liquid containers empty, that I had forgotten the rest of the world does not think that way.

Maybe they should have clarified "base weight" or pack-out weight. That would have made it more clear for me. ;)

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 00:24
Hold on there skippy.Baby fat dose'nt count,check the rule book.;)

Rain Man
12-16-2011, 11:15
I had (have) a friend whose baby weighed just over a pound when born, but sunk to under a pound after a birth. (apparently babies do lose some weight right after birth?) At the time, she was the smallest baby in the state (or was it at that hospital?) to survive. Now this baby is a mom herself.

Rain:sunMan

Farr Away
12-16-2011, 13:21
Yes, babies do lose weight after they're born - until they get good at the whole eating thing. ;)

Buffalo Skipper
12-16-2011, 13:43
I had (have) a friend whose baby weighed just over a pound when born, but sunk to under a pound after a birth. (apparently babies do lose some weight right after birth?) At the time, she was the smallest baby in the state (or was it at that hospital?) to survive. Now this baby is a mom herself.

Rain:sunMan

By contrast, my son was just a hair over 10 lbs when he was born, which is just shy of my current summer base weight. :eek:

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 17:38
My son was 5lbs.-5oz. which is on the small side(for those that don't have kids or don't know)and then he shot up to 95 %tile.and has been eat'in me out of house and home.