PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike gear question

Megapixel
12-15-2011, 23:11
http://www.campsaver.com/u-l-spiral-down-hugger-thermal-sheet

Anyone have experience with these? I was thinking of pairing this with my 30 degree rated montbell super stretch bag for a late march start nobo. Will this add enough warmth? I know it's person specific, but would like any thoughts on what this combo's temp. rating my actually be. The specs on the thermal sheet say temp. range 35 and up and temp rating 50.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Megapixel
12-15-2011, 23:42
Another option I"m trying to find out about is a pair of down pants along with my down jacket if that would be enough to lower the temp. rating of the bag... I read one online review that said the down pants turn your 20 degree bag into a zero degree bag....i'd like some more input on this idea too if you have any...

MuddyWaters
12-15-2011, 23:52
it will probably give you about an additional 10-15F , as long as there is no significant compression of loft. It is very snug fitting, and only fits to about 5'10" height really where can still tighten around neck when used alone as a summer bag. Used as just a liner doenst matter so much for length.

Actual result will depend on users size, and outer bag fit.. Did I mention it fits very SNUG.?

Pretty heavy for the additional warmth it provides too. You could have a warmer bag for less weight obviously than the combination. Or sleep in puffy jacket, down pants, and booties and have multiuse gear for about the same wt.

Smooth & Wasabi
12-15-2011, 23:56
I have the #3 and would be comfortable extending it with down jacket and pants for late march though I do sleep warm. Down socks might be a nice addition and hat/balaclava if you don't have a hood.

BrianLe
12-16-2011, 13:25
"I read one online review that said the down pants turn your 20 degree bag into a zero degree bag"

I used a down parka and down booties with my 20F rated WM bag for a late Feb start last year (I can still say "last year" for a couple more weeks ...). I brought very light long johns for the leg portion. I didn't regret that, as a couple of times on the coldest nights/days I could wear the (again, very light, cap. 1) long johns to start walking in the morning. Still, long johns are in general a PITA I think, as you have to disrobe so much to take them off. Still better than the weight and bulk of down pants. I actually do own a pair of cocoon (BPL synthetic) pants, and I had considered bringing them, so it wasn't a matter of not wanting to spend money or the like. It was about weight and bulk of items carried.

I know nothing about thermal sheets, but would be dubious. Save your money and weight/bulk carried allowance for more down where it counts.

Megapixel
12-16-2011, 14:30
thanks all, that will be the route i take. I had an email into montbell, and their response was using the two in tandem was not recommended.

Tinker
12-16-2011, 16:06
I have the pre-spiral thermal sheet (straight line baffling). Temperature range going down to 35 is ridiculously optimistic, imo. (maybe it will keep you from dying at that temp.). I use mine around my hammock in 45 and up temps. with some clothing (usually a fleece jacket and wool long johns). I also use it inside my Golite Feather-lite bag (again, I run my hammock through the middle and pull the bag up to my neck) when it's colder (down to 5 degrees with a full coverage tarp, a light down jacket, and hot water bottle).

I just read your last post.

If you decide you need a summer bag (many bags that folks start out with get changed in summer), the thermal sheet is a fantastic, versatile piece of equipment. You can open it up and shake the down to the sides to make the middle thinner, making it perfect for those nights when you need something between a sleeping bag and sleeping in your shorts.

daddytwosticks
12-16-2011, 16:48
I use my Thermal sheet opened up as a quilt in the summer here down south. No way would I fit in this thing zipped up like a sleeping bag. Servers me well as a quilt. If I was the OP, I'd go with the extra down clothing option just for vesatility. I don't do well with bag liners because I thrash around in my sleep like a fish out of water. :)