PDA

View Full Version : Do We All Like To Walk ?

DaveSail
12-16-2011, 16:44
I've noticed at Malls that lots of people will drive round - and - round , for 10 , 15 minutes or more ,
to get a parking - spot that will save walking perhaps 50 yards or so .

Myself , I just drive straight - in , no matter how far , to make finding the car coming back easy .
I don't care how far the walk is .

But , I'm wondering , how many here try to find the " closest " spot , even with no pack on their back ?
Does a different " environment " or situation change our behavior ?

Be honest !! David V. Webber

fiddlehead
12-16-2011, 16:48
Depends how much of a hurry I'm in when I need to go buy something.
Usually I'm in a hurry so, yes, will take a closer spot if it's available.

Do we all like to walk?
Those who are repeat thru hikers probably all do.
Those who don't make it might not.

chiefduffy
12-16-2011, 16:52
I always park far away. I enjoy the walk and the uncrowded spaces. If I'm in a hurry I walk faster.

Tinker
12-16-2011, 16:52
[QUOTE=DaveSail;1227980]I've noticed at Malls that lots of people will drive round - and - round , for 10 , 15 minutes or more ,
to get a parking - spot that will save walking perhaps 50 yards or so .

Myself , I just drive straight - in , no matter how far , to make finding the car coming back easy .
I don't care how far the walk is . But , I'm wondering , how many here try to find the " closest " spot , even with no pack on their back ?
Does a different " environment " or situation change our behavior ?

ALL? Well the answer is obvious - you've just given it yourself.

ME? I LOVE to walk, as long as I have the time, which I often don't, and I love to walk in the woods and hills even more, but that takes both time and money, so I do it whenever I can, and when I can't, I'm here on WALKBLOG. :D

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2011, 16:53
I usually chain my bike to "No Parking" signs:) But when I do drive I never look around for the closest spot, I'll take it if I see one as I'm headed out to the back of the parking lot. I get a kick out of those people that will just sit and sit...waiting for someone to move out of a spot. I also like parking under those trees that are usually out in the back of the lot.

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2011, 16:55
If time is a factor then I just run. I'd save more time parking out in the back and running then looking for the closest possible space.

azb
12-16-2011, 16:57
My wife will spend 20 minutes following people around to find a good spot. I keep telling her that it would be quicker just to park where there are spots readily available and walk the difference. Usually, it's not more than 200ft. I always laugh when I see people parked at the curb (blocking the flow of traffic) when there's a spot 40ft away. It's simply habit and everyone's on autopilot. Nobody wants to look around or think about what they're doing. Or walk an extra 10 feet.

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight.

Az

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 17:02
whats great about where i live is everything is within walking distance(which is good because summer parking is not good).not to mention we have a 2.2 mile long boardwalk.I do enjoy driving, but i enjoy walking more, and to circle a lot waiting for a spot to open up , well only if i was listening to some song that i didnt want to turn off, otherwise id rather be walking than waiting.
if you had a 2 mile walk into town, would you walk or sit and wait possibly an hour or more for a hitch?

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 17:04
My wife will spend 20 minutes following people around to find a good spot. I keep telling her that it would be quicker just to park where there are spots readily available and walk the difference. Usually, it's not more than 200ft. I always laugh when I see people parked at the curb (blocking the flow of traffic) when there's a spot 40ft away. It's simply habit and everyone's on autopilot. Nobody wants to look around or think about what they're doing. Or walk an extra 10 feet.

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight.

Azi find it just as hilarious to see people drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill when we have a beautiful beach as our backyard.

fiddlehead
12-16-2011, 17:06
Malls?
Do they still have those things?

Tinker
12-16-2011, 17:10

The ironic thing is these people are all probably trying to lose weight. Az

The average American is lazy. That's why so many of us are fat. (that plus an abundance of cheap food).

"Diet in a pill" is still a dream of the average autobum.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 17:11
I don't fool around looking to much.My daughter says gee dad could'nt park further.........next time i'll try to.There was a time some years back I could 'nt walk to the mail box now I walk every day,It helps to keep me loose and not creeked up.

Sailing_Faith
12-16-2011, 17:11
Dave,

It is funny... I usually drive in close, look for a spot on ONE pass... then finding none I tend to drive to the back of the lot and THEN skip half a dozen or so spaces before I park. Looking at my vehicles, it is evident that it is not to escape 'dings' but rather something else. I guess it is not just a statement that I refuse to be enslaved to the competition of the 'World' but maybe it is something far more simple... or as you say;

I like to walk. :)

Feral Bill
12-16-2011, 17:15
I walk to my job, in a parking facility:confused:. Gives me an hour of walking round trip daily. When weather permits I bike. Shopping, I start near the entrance and drive away until I find something. I don't give it much thought.

chief
12-16-2011, 17:33
If I have to drive around for a good parking spot or have to park out in the netherlands, then the store is too busy for me. I go back home and eat left overs, then take a walk. Walking in a parking lot is a form of transit. I walk for fun, not transit.

G.G.
12-16-2011, 17:34
Farther the better. Less likely of someone dinging up my cars.

Old Hiker
12-16-2011, 17:44
I like to park far away so I can get a shopping cart, push it into a running start and ride it up to the store! I'm having fun and I'm saving the cart pusher a trip out to the far reaches.

My wife hates shopping with me.

Creek Dancer
12-16-2011, 17:47
When someone asks me for directions and then asks "is it too far to walk?", I am never quite sure what to say other than, "Well.... that depends. Are you are a hiker?"

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 18:34
I like it.

Rasty
12-16-2011, 22:35
I work at a golf club. We have a fitness center with treadmills and have people complain about the walk from the parking lot to the workout room. It is really funny.

Echraide
12-16-2011, 22:47
I like walking through the forest. I don't like walking through a parking lot with an armful of returns. I also don't like driving around and around looking for the "perfect" spot when it's faster to just park where there's a spot available.

adamkrz
12-16-2011, 22:56
Love to walk, My wife and I will walk 10 miles to the next town to see a movie and have lunch then walk home, So much less stressfull than driving. Just wish there were more sidewalks..

atmilkman
12-16-2011, 23:11
I tell my wife and you can quote me on this, "the further you park, the longer you live". I also tell her let the young ones have them (the close parking spots) we're not as old as them yet. But this doesn't apply to the young hikers here. I think each and everyone of you is totally awesome for keeping the spirit of outdoor adventure and hiking alive. God bless you all and long may you live.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2011, 23:31
I park out at the end of the cars, or in a large gap somewhere with no other cars around. Regardless of walking distance. I have a big truck and I prefer not to have to maneuver too much to try to get out. I prefer not to back out at all if can help it. Drives my wife crazy, but walking a few hundred feet doesnt bother me at all, I actually prefer it.

No matter where I park, when I come out Im usually surrounded by other cars. Its like they wont park in a place, until someone else does first.

garlic08
12-17-2011, 09:33
What's really funny is seeing that happen in an REI parking lot.

johnnybgood
12-17-2011, 11:19
The key to cardiovascular fitness is keeping the body in motion and walking is such a simple activity to do.

I hear co -workers complain almost daily about walking the few hundred feet it takes to get from the parking lot to the front door .
These are the same people that talk excitedly about going shopping at the malls for the holidays . Maybe the endorpine high they get from shopping takes their mind from the all the walking they're doing.

paistes5
12-19-2011, 01:46
I always park further away then most people. It has nothing to do with liking to walk but it is due to the fact my truck is so big. I also think its no big deal to park do far away since you're going to walk so much in the mall or store anyway.

Different Socks
12-19-2011, 02:12
I used to laugh at the people that would drive around and around a parking lot in front of the gym, just to find a spot closest to the door!!
I mean really people, you're there for a workout for heaven's sake!! Aren't you??!!

Perhaps the opening post should be--"Do you park as close as possible to a trailhead so you don't have to carry the pack any extra distance"?

Pioneer Spirit
12-19-2011, 02:54
We got people who come to work over an hour early just to get a limited place close to the building rather than walk 300 yards from the normal lot. Not to mention the abuse of handicap placards.

chiefduffy
12-19-2011, 19:10
I like to park far away so I can get a shopping cart, push it into a running start and ride it up to the store! I'm having fun and I'm saving the cart pusher a trip out to the far reaches.

I love it!!

weary
12-19-2011, 19:24

Mine does too. But for less exciting reasons. I just try to save money and call the store on every discrepancy between its ads and the labels on its shelves or the prices the cashier racks up for me to pay.

sbhikes
12-19-2011, 20:05
I hate wasting my time driving around looking for a spot so I take the first one I see. I don't try to get close.

Furthermore, I hate wasting my time getting stuck behind all the moo-cows just shuffling along at a snail's pace. I have an Agenda. I will go here and go there, I will look for this and for that. Period. Get the heck out of my way, I'm on a mission. I walk FAST, get it done--even have my cash and change ready in my hand at the register (I don't like to leave a paper trail)--and I get the heck out of the store before most people have even found their parking spot.

hikerboy57
12-19-2011, 20:09
I hate wasting my time driving around looking for a spot so I take the first one I see. I don't try to get close.

Furthermore, I hate wasting my time getting stuck behind all the moo-cows just shuffling along at a snail's pace. I have an Agenda. I will go here and go there, I will look for this and for that. Period. Get the heck out of my way, I'm on a mission. I walk FAST, get it done--even have my cash and change ready in my hand at the register (I don't like to leave a paper trail)--and I get the heck out of the store before most people have even found their parking spot.you would take all the fun(risk of serious injury) out of black friday:sun

Ladytrekker
12-19-2011, 20:57
I park and walk everywhere I go but I had to laugh I have been with people that will circle the parking lot a dozen times hoping to get the coveted space up front. And I hate malls so go maybe once a year if that.

ki0eh
12-19-2011, 21:17
I remember a few years ago reading a news blip somewhere that said that trying to park in the absolute closest spot to wherever sent a message to young kids that walking is devalued. I do usually park far enough out to spots where one can pull through, because both of my vehicles have limited visibility to the rear, and one of those is a full size crew cab pickup.

I think enclosed malls are dying off because people in general don't want to walk far enough to get inside and then inside - the strip mall power centers allow the fatties to drive down to get closer emitting more carbon in the process by starting their cold SUV twice or thrice.

wornoutboots
12-20-2011, 00:56
I'm the strange car the furthest away from the store all by itself. I want the exercise in hopes to keep me young & active for a very long time & I love to look at the hills surrounding the areas I shop while I walk in.

Camping Dave
12-20-2011, 18:25
Do we all like to walk?
Those who are repeat thru hikers probably all do.
Those who don't make it might not.

Do you really think hikers who happen to not be AT thru-hikers don't like to walk? Ridiculous.

rocketsocks
12-20-2011, 19:08
When I go to the mall......I park on the sidewalk

kayak karl
12-20-2011, 19:24
if i'm with somebody i take them into consideration. i may leave them at the door and catch up. i walk way to fast for most.

fiddlehead
12-20-2011, 21:10
Do you really think hikers who happen to not be AT thru-hikers don't like to walk? Ridiculous.

Well, I never mentioned the AT and I have met a few who prefer to camp rather than walk.
Quite a few actually.

But I think most hikers like to walk. (especially repeat thru-hikers) (that's my point)

Rasty
12-21-2011, 01:00
I usually just ride my atv on the AT. You would know its me spitting sunflower shell, blue blazing, wet dog in the shelter and burning pop tart wrappers in the fire I mafe from your firewood pile.

Lemni Skate
12-21-2011, 10:45
Unless I'm in a huge hurry or am having a gout attack I pretty much pull in to the first spot I see and I usually leave an empty spot between me and the next car (no particular reason, except pulling out is that much easier).

Cosmo
12-22-2011, 13:22
I've got dancers--dancers mind you--who insist on taking the elevator up one floor to the studio where they rehearse for hours. Guess they don't want to wear themselves out unnecessarily. Drives me crazy.

Cosmo

gram cracker
12-25-2011, 07:50
I leave my car home most of the time. A tank of gas lasts about 2 1/2 months except for the summer where it's less. Most of those miles are going to trails.

It's a little protest of mine: "Walking away from big oil."