PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania hunting season

Second Half
12-16-2011, 19:49
...appears to be at a lull right now?? According to this:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2
(http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2)
hunting ended on Dec. 10, and some forms will resume on Dec. 26. Am I reading this right and it's safe to go back out in the woods?

Thanks!

Panzer1
12-16-2011, 20:20
yea, I would say its safe. I'm not affraid to hike during archery season. Even musseloader season is safe to hike in my opinion.

On the other hand I think it would be crazy to hike in Rifle season.

Panzer

handlebar
12-16-2011, 23:51
As long as there's any hunting season going on it's a good idea to wear some blaze orange. During regular rifle season which runs from the Monday after Thanksgiving for about 3 weeks, I'd advise staying out of the woods in PA.

mudhead
12-17-2011, 06:51
Try and remember those are legal hunting dates.

Orange.

12-17-2011, 23:17
You do realize some hunting is allowed all year round? Coyotes

bronconite
12-17-2011, 23:21
Some form of small game will be open thru the end of February, and it's always coyote season, but I sure wouldn't consider it unsafe to hike.

Iceaxe
12-18-2011, 00:43

Right from the Appalachian Trail.
Pennsylvania 2010
By the way.. I took this picture because i live in a place where folks are.. kinda freaky about hunting in general.
Okay..
I live in the people's republic.. of Cawlifornia. Yea.. I am just as bummed about politics as you are.
Perhaps even more so.
We cannot even hunt things out here without an F16 converging on our position.. even with a .22 rifle.
My neibors say: "Damn those racocons.. gettin' in my garbage cans again!"

shelterbuilder
12-18-2011, 08:02
Yeah, hunting in Pa. equates to BIG BUCKS (no pun intended)...and now, with the possibility of the state allowing SUNDAY HUNTING as well, there may be NO SAFE TIME TO HIKE during hunting season. Even the Game Commission admits that Sunday enforcement will be cost-prohibitive (and the state's farming organizations are opposed to Sunday hunting), but "someone" seems intent on ramming this change through. The only thing that we Pennsylvanians can do right now is to write your state representatives and senators and demand that the ban on Sunday hunting remain in place - if for no other reason than to give the non-hunting public a safe day to enjoy the woods during hunting season.

Personally, I don't worry too much about getting shot during small game season (shotgun pellts don't travel too far in the brush), but rifle seasons for deer and bear are another matter (a rifle slug can penetrate brush and keep on going for a considerable distance). BTW - the GAme Commission mandates that ANYONE who is on State Game Lands during hunting seasons MUST wear at least a blaze orange cap that's visible 360* (and I think that they are going to increase the number of square inches). Blaze orange is the one color that doesn't occur naturally, so it makes sense to "announce your presence" to others in the area. As a trail and shelter maintainer, I keep a blaze orange cap on the dashboard of my truck, and when I have to go out during this time of year, the cap goes with me! It's cheap insurance.

Jim Adams
12-18-2011, 10:50
It certainly makes sense to wear blaze orange while hiking during hunting season but you need to realize that the hunters are not your danger....driving to and from the trailhead is the real danger. Statistically, if you survive the ride, hunters are not a problem.

geek

WingedMonkey
12-18-2011, 13:47

Right from the Appalachian Trail.
Pennsylvania 2010
By the way.. I took this picture because i live in a place where folks are.. kinda freaky about hunting in general.

I do find it a bit odd to see a state's hunting scheduled printed over a logo for Miller Beer.

shelterbuilder
12-18-2011, 18:43
I do find it a bit odd to see a state's hunting scheduled printed over a logo for Miller Beer.

Ah, Yes, hunting and alcohol...a long-standing tradition in Pa.:rolleyes:...a much older tradition than drinking and driving! :eek:

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2011, 19:54
SB --- No thump tanks and copper boilers were involved - Now we can deny deny deny! Oh wait - sorry that whole making Bourbon thing was below the Mason Dixon.... Never-mind....:eek::rolleyes:

shelterbuilder
12-18-2011, 20:44
SB --- No thump tanks and copper boilers were involved - Now we can deny deny deny! Oh wait - sorry that whole making Bourbon thing was below the Mason Dixon.... Never-mind....:eek::rolleyes:

Look out WOO - here come the Revenuers....:eek:

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2011, 22:00
Very Funny

hunter121
12-19-2011, 04:05
I think that's awesome. Makes me feel layered. Like some sort of epic lasagna
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg

ALLEGHENY
12-19-2011, 04:21
Harvested some venison and have been making jerky for hiking.

Jim Adams
12-19-2011, 10:50
Hunting in Pa. is an old tradition with alot of families and as crazy as deer season can be, it is truely safer than driving. I usually will hike on sundays only because I can't hunt on sundays.

geek

ALLEGHENY
12-19-2011, 14:02
So how many hikers been shot on the A.T. in P.A. from a hunter?:-?

Tinker
12-19-2011, 17:21
It doesn't hurt to wear a bit of blaze "between" the seasons, some folks don't think that the length of the LEGAL seasons is quite to their liking.

Translation: Poachers are more likely to fire on what they can't identify than law-abiding, respectable hunters.

I had a landlord that shot a turkey just off of his property in a suburban neighborhood a few years ago. It was a "gift" for Thanksgiving. A gift from who (or whom)? A gift that could've cost a local kid playing paintball in the woods (I know the area) a world of hurt. Unfortunately, it didn't cost the landlord. He made his own rules on taxes, too.

The fact that there are people "out there" who don't think that the rules (laws, really) apply to them makes me wary enough to at least wear some token blaze. Even the "bad" hunters don't want to do time.

Wise Old Owl
12-19-2011, 17:28
So how many hikers been shot on the A.T. in P.A. from a hunter?:-?

Zero .................................................. .