PDA

View Full Version : Angora Rabbit Hair

The Cleaner
12-17-2011, 16:01
I've got some Duofold Long John bottoms(made in West Germany early 80s) which are 45% wool,35%nylon and 20% angora rabbit hair.They are very warm and feel similar to merino wool.Does anyone here know much about Angora Rabbits and how it came to be used in clothing?I have not searched much for it as merino wool seems to be the leading cold weather go to fabric.Any tips for care/washing? The pair I have has a few small holes but can't be seen while wearing under pants.Should I keep on wearing these or buy new merino LJs?Does "If it isn't broke,don't fix it apply?" Thanks for any tips...

jakedatc
12-18-2011, 10:29
my gf is a knitter. Angora is very soft but not as durable as merino and other wools. i would definitely hand wash them. don't use detergent. they make specific soap for wool.

http://www.eucalan.com/

also don't hang, wring or machine dry. lay it down on a towel flat then roll it up to get most of the water out. then lay it flat over something that is vented.. like a cooking rack but bigger.

The Cleaner
12-18-2011, 10:50
Thanks,that's how I wash all of my cold weather garmets...

Blissful
12-18-2011, 15:07
Be a pain on a long distance hike though. Better to have clothing items that can take the usual laundering and drying rather than futzing around with certain detergents and air drying (with care of course. I mean you don't want to destroy it).