PDA

View Full Version : Climate in GSMNP

Robishack
12-17-2011, 22:17
What is the weather like in the Great Smokies in Septembre? How long, on average, does it take to complete at that time of year? Am planning a section hike in 2012, coming down from Canada.

Thanks!

ken209
12-18-2011, 10:07
What is the weather like in the Great Smokies in Septembre? How long, on average, does it take to complete at that time of year? Am planning a section hike in 2012, coming down from Canada.

Thanks!
That is a great time for doing the Smokies, number of days is up to you. Have met hikers doing it in three, my advice is to take as long as you can.

gollwoods
12-18-2011, 10:41
still warm likely. highs could be 80's lows above 40's generally. rain or thunderstorms sometimes.

Kerosene
12-18-2011, 16:51
I just did the Smokies the first week of October under absolutely perfect skies. However, there was snow atop Thunderhead a few days before I go there, and a number of storms passed through in September. My first day on the trail crossing Fontana Dam it in the high 30's with a good breeze, but warmed up each day until it was in the 70's when I reached Davenport Gap. Water sources were available, but only at the shelters. Bear activity was very noticeable and I saw two bears; one of which was a very close encounter. Shelter reservations forced me to take 6 days to get through the Park, although I could have easily covered the distance in 5 and I know of one hiker, Caboose, who went SOBO in 4 days. Shelters on most nights were surprisingly full.

royalusa
12-18-2011, 18:32
As you get closer to your hike, here's a good website to monitor GSMNP weather (and snow) conditions:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

Northern Lights
12-25-2011, 14:36
I'm heading to the Smokies in May, hopefully the weather will be warm that time of year

Cookerhiker
12-25-2011, 14:39
No matter when you hike the Smokies, be prepared for rain.