PDA

View Full Version : BPer mag recipes and/or meals. ....has anyone tried them on a long hike?

Different Socks
12-18-2011, 01:05
Recently 2 things have come to mind about food on a long hike:

1) At my PT job, the cook put a huckleberry sauce on salmon. It was really good!! Could I do the same with a can of salmon, chicken or other meat and then dry it? In other words, how much flavor would be retained in the meat from the amount of time marinating it, then drying it?
Does anyone have any recipes that can be dehydrated that involve marinated meats?

2) I've noticed that many if not all recipes in Bper mag are for weekend/overnight, single day backpacks or hikes. Has anyone dried any of the BPer recipes or a resupply on a long hike and had good taste results? If so, can you tell me which ones so i can try them.

Thanks!

Different Socks
12-18-2011, 01:07
Recently 2 things have come to mind about food on a long hike:

1) At my PT job, the cook put a huckleberry sauce on salmon. It was really good!! Could I do the same with a can of salmon, chicken or other meat and then dry it? In other words, how much flavor would be retained in the meat from the amount of time marinating it, then drying it?
Does anyone have any recipes that can be dehydrated that involve marinated meats?

2) I've noticed that many if not all recipes in Bper mag are for weekend/overnight, single day backpacks or hikes. Has anyone dried any of the BPer recipes or a resupply on a long hike and had good taste results? If so, can you tell me which ones so i can try them.

Thanks!

Sorry, that should have said "for a resupply on a long hike".

sarbar
12-18-2011, 13:16
Often over the years I have taken their recipes and redone them to be easier, one pot (or one bag) and use all dried ingredients....if there is a recipe you think is interesting but want it actually trail doable let me know....it isn't hard to change it. And not use tons of cans (of late many of their recipes call for canned items! Big cans!)

On salmon? I'd take the pouched salmon and carry the weight and then make a simple Huckleberry sauce in camp and drizzle it on. Way better tasting. While the pouched meats will dry - tuna does well - salmon is so fatty it can go rancid after dried.

BigRing
12-22-2011, 10:38
Buy the skinless/boneless fillets. Soak the raw fillets in Quik-cure, thoroughly cook it, and then remove any of the lateral line/mud vein...that greyish stuff on the skin side of the salmon. Once cooked, let cool, then slice into 1/2 inch thick portions, put it in the dehydrator and vacuum pack it. The dehydrator does increase the temperature of the food, so don't vacuum pack it before it has cooled. Aldd a couple drops of lemon juice in the bag before vacuum sealing. I keep the bags in the freezer until 2-3 days before departure, then put them in the refrigerator. Try to keep them out of the sun and rehydrate them when cooking the meal. I would not recommend trying to rehydrate in a ziplock before heating/rehydrating. They have kept on the trail for a week.

Different Socks
12-22-2011, 22:39
Buy the skinless/boneless fillets. Soak the raw fillets in Quik-cure, thoroughly cook it, and then remove any of the lateral line/mud vein...that greyish stuff on the skin side of the salmon. Once cooked, let cool, then slice into 1/2 inch thick portions, put it in the dehydrator and vacuum pack it. The dehydrator does increase the temperature of the food, so don't vacuum pack it before it has cooled. Aldd a couple drops of lemon juice in the bag before vacuum sealing. I keep the bags in the freezer until 2-3 days before departure, then put them in the refrigerator. Try to keep them out of the sun and rehydrate them when cooking the meal. I would not recommend trying to rehydrate in a ziplock before heating/rehydrating. They have kept on the trail for a week.

A fine suggestion. But I was looking for recipes that can be dried and then put in a box for the USPS or a drop location and it will sit there for a week to 6 months.