PDA

View Full Version : Pack cover question...

pdcollins6092
12-18-2011, 04:06
OK, I have to ask because it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I have a pack cover that came with my pack and it fits over it with no problems until I strap my foam pad to the back of it. How do most of yall take care of this problem? Is there somewhere to get a larger cover to fit it with the foam pad attached or what?

Bronk
12-18-2011, 05:19
Either get a pack cover that fits what you want to do or put your pad inside the pack...I roll it up, put it into the empty pack and then let it unravel itself and then pack everything else in the center of it. One benefit of this is that it helps keep your stuff dry if some water does leak in.

stranger
12-18-2011, 07:19
The short answer is that packs are designed to have everything inside the pack, therefore it doesn't fit when you 'add' something to the outside. Try carrying everything inside, the pack will perform better and your rain cover will fit. Otherwise, get a bigger pack or different rain cover.

Papa D
12-18-2011, 08:52
You can get a larger pack cover if you want - Granite Gear and Sea to Summit make good ones in sizes S-XL but the previous posters are correct -- I don't strap anything to the outside of my pack as a regular practice (only maybe some unusual or temporary item - like packing something in to a shelter (like a broom maybe)). My therm-a-rest deflates, folds in half, rolls up and goes inside with everything else -- it sounds like you either are carrying too much extra gear inside your pack to have room or need to practice packing your pack a bit more - leave some stuff at home and/or stuff harder. My best guess is that you should consider another pad vs another pack cover. Here is one suggestion though: try putting your pad inside you pack first around the perimeter and then stuffing all of your gear inside -- a fair amount of people do this -- I don't do it because frankly it is a weird way to pack for me and I'd always find the pad in my way.

Spokes
12-18-2011, 09:23
Foam pad on the inside of pack? Coffee just shot out my nose! That's like doing Origami with sheet metal.....

Save yourself the aggravation and get a bigger pack cover. Some are tapered so you may have to carry your foam pad either on the bottom or top of the pack for the cover to actually fit.

Cheers!

Papa D
12-18-2011, 13:27
When I saw "foam", I assumed the OP meant closed cell foam - you can roll these up tight and strap to the side of most packs -- I have a couple of foam pads I might use for lending out or padding out my car camp but for backpacking, I think that the therm-a-rest is pretty much the thing.

bamboo bob
12-18-2011, 14:06
I have used my ridge rest in my pack as support against my back. It works fine.

garlic08
12-18-2011, 14:07
Foam pad on the inside of pack? Coffee just shot out my nose!...

UL hikers do this fairly often. Some, if not most frameless packs are designed to accept the sleeping pad as a stiffener for the load.

Kookork
12-18-2011, 14:37
You are not the only one with this problem. The cheapest solution might be a bigger rain cover, the second cheapest is buying an inflatable pad and tha most expensive might be carrying a bigger backpack. I must say though that bigger backpack is not a good solution.

Blissful
12-18-2011, 15:04
I just got a bigger one myself. You can sell the other. I really like my sea to summit ul.

pdcollins6092
12-18-2011, 15:30
Thanks everyone or your answers. I guess I should have more clear and said the blue closed cell foam pad from Wal-Mart. I'm useing because Im in a hammock instead of on the ground. Ill keep trying different thing along with what most of you have said about it being on the inside of the pack...

Spokes
12-18-2011, 15:43
Yeah you sure can roll up a foam pad inside a pack but I like Sleeping on a full length pad instead of the torso length most UL's have. I use that size as a sitting' pad....... :-)

fiddlehead
12-18-2011, 19:11
I have one of those cheap, foam pads and fold it in 3 and use it (inside my pack) as a cushion against my back.
The less BS on the outside of the pack, the better.

Harpua
12-18-2011, 21:36
ive given up on pack covers! i just put everything in a large sea to summit bag inside my pack and let the outside of my pack get wet..

Theosus
12-19-2011, 22:32
I like the inside the pack idea myself. My deuter came with a rain cover attached, but the pad I have (green closed cell foam war surplus thing) would be too big outside. I'm a hammock hangar too, so according to those in the know I need a minimum pad, just as insulation, not for rocks and comfort. I've been wondering how to pack it. Inside it would need to be less tightly rolled, too. Once rolled up, it doesn't like to unroll all the way.

10-K
12-19-2011, 22:53
The best thing about a pack cover is that you can take your pack off and set it down on the ground when it's wet, raining or muddy and it'll protect your pack. They don't do much in the way of keeping the pack dry in my experience.

moytoy
12-20-2011, 03:56
I've never used one but there is always The Packa.

Migrating Bird
12-20-2011, 19:27
I've never used one but there is always The Packa.

I use a Packa, from Cedar Tree, adds a little weigth & bulk, but works very well. http://www.thepacka.com The best part is that no water gets between the back of your neck) and your pack as it does with a pack cover. Even with the packa, I still carry a Marmot Precip. Vents very well and keeps the wind out.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 19:33
Foam pad on the inside of pack? Coffee just shot out my nose! That's like doing Origami with sheet metal.....

Save yourself the aggravation and get a bigger pack cover. Some are tapered so you may have to carry your foam pad either on the bottom or top of the pack for the cover to actually fit.

Cheers!

I've done it for years, both with my uninflated first generation Thermarest in my Gregory Shasta (1993-2000 - retired) and closed cell foam in my Golite Dawn. The pads take up little space when used as Stranger said, and they will be better protected from snags (VERY important if you have an inflatable - self or otherwise).

kayak karl
12-20-2011, 20:01
why carry a packa and a rain jacket????

MikeGoingToMaine
12-21-2011, 14:06
http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page346.html

I am thinking of getting this. Anyone have direct experience with using the Packa?

Spokes
12-21-2011, 14:41
Check out the fabulous demo of the Packa as performed by attroll:

http://youtu.be/5y6Belr3mrA

http://youtu.be/5y6Belr3mrA

jacquelineanngrant
12-21-2011, 14:47
I use the go-lite quest pack with an oversized rain cover so that I can keep my pad on the outside of my pack.