PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's Bunion January hike possible?

rjhouser
12-18-2011, 17:28
My family loves going to Gatlinburg and we make it out each year for the MLK Holiday weekend. This year it falls on Jan 13 - 16. Last year we were there around the same time and I wanted to do the Charlie's Bunyun hike. There was one little probem: about 3 ft of snow at Newfound Gap :eek:. A guy at an outfitter showed me a picture of it almost completely covering a trail marker sign. I think they had the whole road (441?) through the GSMNP closed at that point too. This year I'm hoping to try and make it out. What are the odds of it being passable? How unsafe is too unsafe? I will be making the hike with my college roommate. We are both 22.

bigcranky
12-18-2011, 17:42
Totally depends on the weather. If the road is open, you can drive up there and give it a go, just be willing to turn around if the snow gets too deep or the trail too icy. The trail is fine out to the Icewater Spring Shelter - basically a long slow uphill climb. It doesn't start to get tricky until past the shelter.

Just don't get into that "must make it to the summit" mindset - that's what gets people in trouble.

royalusa
12-18-2011, 18:31
As you get closer to your hike, here's a good website to monitor GSMNP weather and snow conditions:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

wornoutboots
12-18-2011, 18:39
yeah if the weather looks questionable & you're going for it, bring trekking poles, it will be a much safer hike across any icy areas

rjhouser
12-18-2011, 19:13
yeah if the weather looks questionable & you're going for it, bring trekking poles, it will be a much safer hike across any icy areas

trecking poles i have but i don't have any other ice/snow hiking gear such as crampons

Blissful
12-18-2011, 20:33
Kahtoola microspikes

rjhouser
01-09-2012, 00:50
Looks like there might be a chance of snow Thursday night but other than that I think we have a good chance of actually doing this thing! Pretty warm this week relatively speaking... I'm itching so bad to get out there.

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 07:09
Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 07:10
Looks like there might be a chance of snow Thursday night but other than that I think we have a good chance of actually doing this thing! Pretty warm this week relatively speaking... I'm itching so bad to get out there.

Just know that with it being exposed and being in clouds a lot, you runs big risk of icy conditions

rjhouser
01-09-2012, 09:51
How do I know what I should and shouldn't trek over wearing just normal hiking boots? I don't have crampons and I don't do a lot of winter hiking, nor do I plan to, so I really don't want to have to purchase any.

Frog
01-09-2012, 10:05
Me and my brother hiked out there in the late 70s part of the way out there was 3 feet of ice on the trail in some places but we managed to go up above the ice and get around it. Just remember not to get on ice any near a drop off. Having to get up in the woods to go around the ice can make for a longer day but it was do able. I really enjoyed it even thou it was tough. But when things are tough you can remember them the rest of your life as I can still picture what that trip was like 30 years latter.

The Solemates
01-09-2012, 10:51

despite the warm temps this year, there's still snow on the ground up there....at least there was a week ago.

Papa D
01-09-2012, 11:28
trecking poles i have but i don't have any other ice/snow hiking gear such as crampons

you shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ (http://www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ)

bigcranky
01-09-2012, 21:07
Watch out for slick icy spots on the trail. If there is any exposure at all to a steep drop -- do NOT walk out on an icy trail. You'll be fine until you get to Icewater Spring, but around Charlie's Bunion there are some places where a small slip could end up being fatal.

Have fun and be careful.

Chaco Taco
01-09-2012, 21:41
you shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ (http://www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ)

These things almost launched me off of Leconte a few years ago. They do not dig into any ice at all and provide very little traction. I got nervous walking down the hill of my driveway. IMO, these are more for shoveling a flat driveway. If you want to get something that will probably be good for what you are looking for, go with Katoohla Microspikes

theoilman
01-09-2012, 22:18
I was in the area between Christmas and New Years. Wednesday of that week I wanted to go Alum Cave Bluffs, but the road was closed. I went on Thursday - it would have been better if I had some type or crampons or spikes. It had snowed several inches and a lot of traffic on the trail it was really icy. Of course all that should be melted by now.

But the point is - be prepared for a potentially slippery trail in that area, especially at 5000 feet and above!

rjhouser
01-11-2012, 14:28
Now it looks like they are calling for a 30% chance of snow on Friday. Not sure what to expect at this point. The two college friends that are going with me are new to hiking and don't even own any appropriate gear (read: clothes). I don't want to put them in a situation we would regret but I also know this is my last chance to try and make it out there before my thru this upcoming season. Guess we'll have to play it by ear.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-11-2012, 14:37

Just my opnion of course..but as for me..If there's any chance I may run into ice I take my crampons...Black Diamond Sabretooths and pair of ice piolets..Black Diamond Raven..The reason? I got tired of picking myself up off of the ice ...The adze end of the ice piolet also eliminates the need to carry a trowel for digging catholes...

LoneRidgeRunner
01-11-2012, 14:42
How do I know what I should and shouldn't trek over wearing just normal hiking boots? I don't have crampons and I don't do a lot of winter hiking, nor do I plan to, so I really don't want to have to purchase any.

ICE...especially near possibly fatal dropoffs....NEVER go there with normal hiking boots... Is the cost of crampons more valuable than your life?

LoneRidgeRunner
01-11-2012, 14:44
These things almost launched me off of Leconte a few years ago. They do not dig into any ice at all and provide very little traction. I got nervous walking down the hill of my driveway. IMO, these are more for shoveling a flat driveway. If you want to get something that will probably be good for what you are looking for, go with Katoohla Microspikes

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Papa Dhttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1236934#post1236934)you shouldn't need actual crampons - check out this- they are cheap - it's what I use up to about 6" of snow (or more) - I use them on LaSportiva Trail SHOES with gaiters - works great:

www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid= CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ (http://www.footsmart.com/P-YakTrax-Pro-90053.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-90053 010 30 015&mr:trackingCode=8805D021-75B0-DF11-92F8-0019B9C04BE4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CIXarLigw60CFQ4j7AodiBd8BQ)

CHEAP ..is not always best......wherever your life could be at stake....go with ONLY the best gear...

flemdawg1
01-11-2012, 16:10
Going to chaperone a Church Youth Group up there this weekend. we'll be using the free day to check out the Chimney Tops. I figure its low enough elevation to not be too icy, short enough to keep them from griping too much, and I'm sure they'll like scrambling up to the top.

lissersmith
01-11-2012, 17:29
I was just up there a few days ago and there wasn't much snow, but lots of thick ice about a mile in. We wound up going only to the Jump Off due to the slow going. Yak trax would have been great, would have been much easier. We have had rain since then, but a very cold front coming, so I am sure it will be frozen. Take your yak trax!!

rjhouser
01-11-2012, 20:10
Going to chaperone a Church Youth Group up there this weekend. we'll be using the free day to check out the Chimney Tops. I figure its low enough elevation to not be too icy, short enough to keep them from griping too much, and I'm sure they'll like scrambling up to the top.

Do you think Chimney Tops would be a safer goal? Don't get me wrong, I really want to be on the AT... but i've never been to the Tops and they look awesome.

rjhouser
01-11-2012, 23:03
Actually the tops look almost more dangerous to climb than the AT. I mean you're using hands on those things, that's pretty steep... however it is at a lower elevation... and the round trip is 2 miles shorter... we might try both

Ox97GaMe
01-11-2012, 23:20
It has been a mild winter so far in the park. THere isnt much snow or ice currently, but that might change over this coming weekend.

Charlies Bunyon is accessible almost year round. If the road to NFG is open, you can probably hike out to the bunyon without too much difficulty if you are prepared for winter hiking.

Chimney Tops is a rock scramble for the last 300-400 yrds. Even in good weather this can be treacherous. Wouldnt recommend it under icy conditions.

Have fun, whichever route you choose.

gonehikn
01-12-2012, 01:41
I'll be doing the hike to Charlies Bunion on Saturday if the road is open.

earlyriser26
01-12-2012, 06:26
It should be no problem, just turn back if it gets too bad for you. I hiked the smokies in once in 76? in early march with 3- 6 feet of snow. Did it in blue jeans and a sweat shirt. You can surely get up to CB. Just don't take the side trail around if its icey. LOL

bigcranky
01-12-2012, 12:39
People die on the Chimney Tops trail in the summer, though I expect that's from heart attacks. Not sure I'd want to try it in the winter.

flemdawg1
01-12-2012, 12:43
Actually the tops look almost more dangerous to climb than the AT. I mean you're using hands on those things, that's pretty steep... however it is at a lower elevation... and the round trip is 2 miles shorter... we might try both

It has been a mild winter so far in the park. THere isnt much snow or ice currently, but that might change over this coming weekend.

Charlies Bunyon is accessible almost year round. If the road to NFG is open, you can probably hike out to the bunyon without too much difficulty if you are prepared for winter hiking.

Chimney Tops is a rock scramble for the last 300-400 yrds. Even in good weather this can be treacherous. Wouldnt recommend it under icy conditions.

Have fun, whichever route you choose.

I'll scout the scramble section before letting any of the kids go up. If its icy, we'll def turn around. No since getting anyone hurt.

rjhouser
01-12-2012, 12:51
I'll scout the scramble section before letting any of the kids go up. If its icy, we'll def turn around. No since getting anyone hurt.

yeah i imagine it would be hard to explain to the parents how half of the church group disappeared...

George
01-12-2012, 13:23
spent the last 2 weeks in SMNP, only real hazards where 1/4 mile of icy trail between CB + the road and some fords.

IMO the issue with the folks day hiking to CB (and other spots in winter conditions) is not spikes etc. but the ability to take shelter if immobilized by an accident/fall, park staff is seldom on top in winter so to get help requires getting to a car, and down the hill to be able to call, response time to CB could easily be 8 hours; the standard for survival time in bad conditions without shelter is 3 hours; a sleeping bag, ground pad, basic shelter and a way to heat food/drinks are things most folks have but seldom carry even in winter for short hikes, think realistically about how to stay warm/dry as long as it may take to be evacuated or recover and get out yourself

neonshaw
01-12-2012, 22:42
well there is 1-3 inches in the lower elevations tonight, so figure 2-4"? maybe up at NFG so likely saturday/sunday cold with some ice, take some goretex

rjhouser
01-16-2012, 23:28
MADE IT!! http://i.imgur.com/d61uD.jpg
(http://i.imgur.com/d61uD.jpg)

flemdawg1
01-17-2012, 12:54
Also made it on my trip. Due to the snow/ice on the trail it was more skating than hiking. The scramble at the top was safe to do, no ice.

rjhouser
01-17-2012, 13:47
yeah it was warmer on the bunion with the sun out than anywhere else on the trail. We also made it to the chimney tops which had no snow or ice at all on top.