PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain Shelter...

Toli
12-19-2011, 07:06
Well, I guess its open again... Was there last weekend and it was closed and a MESS!!! This past weekend, no more mess, so to speak, and open... That was a good thing as by 5pm Saturday, 31 people had shown up @ Woods Hole Shelter :-?... Sleeps maybe 7... Only 10 of us had tents :confused:... Ran into WB'er BlakeGrice and his Band Of Merry Men heading NOBO, so we decided to night hike up to Blood to the shelter... It was cold(28 degrees @ Sunrise) and crazy a$$ windy that night... But everyone made it thru the night... Saw lots of "Maintaineers" working from Blood to Slaughter Saturday afternoon...

Trail Bug
12-19-2011, 07:50
Must be a lot of stupid people on the trail. Not carrying a shelter this time of year is crazy. I guess they expected the others to stack themselves in like cordwood.

BlakeGrice
12-19-2011, 22:43
Lol I definitely had a Band of misfits with me! They had a great time though dude- they are still talking about it. And yeah the shelter is definitely open- and definitely windy and cold! I'll be back up there in a few weeks.

Texico
12-21-2011, 00:37
I live and work in the Buford GA area and have heard that the shelter might be closed to overnighters during a significant portion of the hiking season this upcoming year. Don't quote me on it, but it wouldn't surprise me. What I was told is that no overnight stays would be allowed on Blood Mountain at all. Has anyone else heard anything to that effect?

BlakeGrice
12-21-2011, 02:06
Seems like they spent a lot of time and money to fix it up and therefore I'd assume it will be open for use. Just my opinion

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 09:33
I live and work in the Buford GA area and have heard that the shelter might be closed to overnighters during a significant portion of the hiking season this upcoming year. Don't quote me on it, but it wouldn't surprise me. What I was told is that no overnight stays would be allowed on Blood Mountain at all. Has anyone else heard anything to that effect?Last spring bear activity caused a section of trail including Blood Mountain to be closed to overnight camping. It's a good bet that it will happen again this spring.

The shelter was rehabbed with private funds, btw. No tax monies or GATC club cash was spent.

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 09:54
Last spring bear activity caused a section of trail including Blood Mountain to be closed to overnight camping. .... Oops. That was in 2010. I keep forgetting that I missed spring this year.

scope
12-21-2011, 10:11
No, that was this year... Neels Gap to Jarrard Gap – Closure Ended
The closure order prohibiting camping along the AT expired 5/15/11.

Camped nearby at Cowrock in mid-May and saw a bear that looked just a little too healthy.

MikeGoingToMaine
12-21-2011, 10:30
In my studies on my thruhike for 2012, I have read numerous times that Blood Mountain is a 'dirty' mountain with a long history of piles of trash and well... feces all over the place. Is this true? Should I plan to avoid sleeping on Blood ?

Lone Wolf
12-21-2011, 10:35
In my studies on my thruhike for 2012, I have read numerous times that Blood Mountain is a 'dirty' mountain with a long history of piles of trash and well... feces all over the place. Is this true? Should I plan to avoid sleeping on Blood ?i'd avoid staying on blood

max patch
12-21-2011, 10:46
In my studies on my thruhike for 2012, I have read numerous times that Blood Mountain is a 'dirty' mountain with a long history of piles of trash and well... feces all over the place. Is this true? Should I plan to avoid sleeping on Blood ?

Theres a privy on the summit so I don't believe there is crap all over the mountain. I haven't been to the shelter since renovation was completed a few weeks ago, but prior to that the shutters were gone and a resident skunk made regular nitely visits. Great views from Blood, and you can camp on top (my choice - bring water) if you don't want to stay in the shelter (I havent stayed in the shelter for 20 years and don't plan to return). Given a choice, I'd rather stay in the shelter than in a stupid hostel at Neels. Don't know why anyone would want to stay in a smelly hostel on the 3rd nite out anyway.

BobTheBuilder
12-21-2011, 10:49
If you're headed nobo, just stay at the campsites south of Blood Mountain, then go up and over in the morning to Neels Gap and ice cream.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2011, 10:51
Don't know why anyone would want to stay in a smelly hostel on the 3rd nite out anyway.for real. it's a smelly dungeon

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 13:24
Then it's happened two years in a row. (http://www.ajc.com/news/part-of-appalachian-trail-540643.html) It's not unreasonable to expect it to happen again.

max patch
12-21-2011, 13:38
Then it's happened two years in a row. (http://www.ajc.com/news/part-of-appalachian-trail-540643.html) It's not unreasonable to expect it to happen again.

DWM, you were dead set against this renovation. Yet you helped (at least thats what I heard). Why the change of heart? I think the renovation was a good thing so I am glad you did.

Pedaling Fool
12-21-2011, 14:05

Camped nearby at Cowrock in mid-May and saw a bear that looked just a little too healthy.

Then it's happened two years in a row. (http://www.ajc.com/news/part-of-appalachian-trail-540643.html) It's not unreasonable to expect it to happen again.I'm not sure, but I think it's happened more than the last two years, maybe 3????

MikeGoingToMaine
12-21-2011, 14:08
Just a newbie here, but how did Blood Mountain get such a bad reputation in the hiking community? Sometimes I hear that 'locals' cause it, sometimes I hear that inconsiderate hikers cause it, etc..

Can someone fill in this newbie?

Pedaling Fool
12-21-2011, 14:19
Blood Mountain doesn't have a bad reputation, it's the shelter on Blood that is a money hole and not worth it to maintain (in many people's opinion), because it's always being trashed -- someone else will have to elaborate on who's trashing. However, since it's been reported that the funds came from private sources it's not really as big of a deal than if GATC/ATC money was spent (again). The reason they keep it there, best I can tell, is because it's suppose to be historic.

I say out with the old in with the new:D, but really shouldn't be anything on top of Blood, but that's my opinion and I know it's not much...

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2011, 14:30
...The reason they keep it there, best I can tell, is because it's suppose to be historic.

Yeah, it's one of the older shelters, built by the CCC back in the 30's I think. Given that and the nature of its construction, large, and one of the few stone and enclosed shelters makes it special in many folk's eyes. Historic? I guess. No real strong opinion. I saw it once in person in the 70's and likely never will again.

WingedMonkey
12-21-2011, 14:53
The shelter does have historical significance and should be maintained for that purpose. The fact that it is so easy to access has turned it into a trash dump and bathroom. A new roof will not solve that.

The solution is to move the jesus burger stand from in front of the "smelly dungeon" to the shelter. Even the most lazy hiker will not stoop right in front of a free food feed, or stand there to urinate on the rocks.

The burger flippers can pack out the garbage. It will leave both the shelter and the dumpsters at the gap less desirable to the bears.

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 15:45
DWM, you were dead set against this renovation. Yet you helped (at least thats what I heard). Why the change of heart? I think the renovation was a good thing so I am glad you did.No change of heart at all but it wasn't my decision. I helped because the GATC crew chief put out a call for volunteers but mostly because I rock a killer hard hat and chicks dig it.

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 16:00
Be aware that the renovations do not include new windows, shutters or a door. Or old ones either. It has a new roof, sill and some beams but it is still open to the elements. And skunks.

The crew leader argued hard for them. Government said no.

mgeiger
12-21-2011, 16:14
Windows, shutters or a door would not last. I've rigged a tarp over the south window in the back room to keep wind out. The skunk(s) and mice are just part of it. Hell, I've tented below the big rock right in front of what I think is the skunk's den. I do wish the fireplace would be restored to something functional. Looking forward to visiting the old place in a few weeks.

Dances with Mice
12-21-2011, 18:45
Windows, shutters or a door would not last. I've rigged a tarp over the south window in the back room to keep wind out. The skunk(s) and mice are just part of it. Hell, I've tented below the big rock right in front of what I think is the skunk's den. I do wish the fireplace would be restored to something functional. Looking forward to visiting the old place in a few weeks.Open fires in that portion of the Blood Mtn Wilderness area are prohibited by the Forest Service. If fires were allowed and the fireplace was reopened then in two years, three tops, they'd have to change the name from Blood Mountain to Blood Bald and although I think that would be a way cool name it's too much trouble to change all those maps and stuff. There just ain't that much wood up there. And the shelter's doors and shutters would be the first to burn for a fact. Already BTDT, that's exactly why they were missing.

No fires, bring your own window covering and leave room for the skunks. Sounds like a great place to spend the night. But it does have a nice roof now until people start throwing rocks onto it from that rocky outcropping. Already BTDT too. And right now there's fresh non pee-stained wood on the sleeping platform. So go see it while it lasts and take pictures because it won't last long.

mudhead
12-21-2011, 19:16
I treat every skunk as rabid. Just because.

Plus they have big teeth.

Sounds like a fun spot.:)

atmilkman
12-21-2011, 21:25
I think it's good about the new roof and all, and it's a shame and too bad about everything else. I was there back in 1973 and it was spotless, didn't smell bad at all. It had a musty odor but it wasn't rancid or anything like that. Like I said it was spotless outside. I thought it was one of the coolest places I had ever been to.

BlakeGrice
12-21-2011, 23:01
I stayed there last Saturday night with whiteblaze member Toli- it wasn't that bad guys. Relatively clean- not smelly- cold sure, but it wasn't a bad experience. The wind was REALLY blowing that night and we were very glad to be in the back room most of us warm and cozy all night. Woods hole shelter is a mile and a half south, and there are also tent sites on top of blood that looked pretty cool on our way down. I personally enjoy the trip up, and matter of fact, am going back next month. Will have a tent, but will stay in the shelter if its empty.

bassbusterfiss
12-22-2011, 11:28
Some friends and I are leaving first week of March, starting at Blood Mnt. heading south to Amicaloa Falls. I was wondering if anyone knew how many miles the trail that goes around Blood Mnt. was. I tried doing this same hike last year in Jan. when there was about a foot of snow on the ground. The day hikers had packed down the snow and it turned to ice. So on the way up I twisted my good knee,had to spend the night in the shelter(god awful night/no sleep).The next day tried to keep going and made it down the other side of the mnt. Knees were killing me and knew i would not be able to go forward any further and I could not go back up the mnt. So we took the trail around it back to the center.

Hoop
12-22-2011, 12:59
I think it's about one mile (Freeman Trail).

max patch
12-22-2011, 13:39
1.7 miles.......

bassbusterfiss
12-22-2011, 14:12
Thanks, yall are awsome. Sure didn't fill like it was 1.7 miles with jacked up knees.

Tinker
12-22-2011, 14:44
Thanks, yall are awsome. Sure didn't fill like it was 1.7 miles with jacked up knees.

How are the knees holding up now? Feeling better, I hope. Ice is no fun on a trail unless you have proper traction equipment. You might want to check on the Katoola Micro Spikes that folks are talking about here in case you run into some frozen trails. When I did Georgia in '06 March was warmer than usual, only had a little bit of sleet for a few hours one day. Most of the hike to NC had days in the 60s and 70s.
Have a good hike.

max patch
12-22-2011, 15:06

Seems longer than that to me also. I think its because its such a rocky trail.

bassbusterfiss
12-22-2011, 17:01
How are the knees holding up now? Feeling better, I hope. Ice is no fun on a trail unless you have proper traction equipment. You might want to check on the Katoola Micro Spikes that folks are talking about here in case you run into some frozen trails. When I did Georgia in '06 March was warmer than usual, only had a little bit of sleet for a few hours one day. Most of the hike to NC had days in the 60s and 70s.
Have a good hike.

So far the knee are holding up great. Been doing some smaller hikes close by with full pack to build strength. I should be ready to go come March. I will check into the micro spikes.THANKS

Dances with Mice
12-22-2011, 17:18
Freeman Trail is 1.8 to 1.9 depending on the source so call it two miles. Only a 300'ish foot drop over that distance and no steep places but it's a rocky, boulder strewn summbitch and for that you can blame the last glacier age.

One year on my spring Georgia Loop pilgrimage I took the Freeman during the season's first real warm sunny spell and kept thinking it'd be the perfect time land place for rattlesnakes to be out sunning after their winter hibernation. So I went real slow and carefully inspected each long shadow or stick laying across the trail. Then I spent the night at Goose Creek cabins and my little cabin had a braided rag rug with about a foot long loose braid hanging off the end. And every single time I had to step across that rug I jumped because it looked so much like a snake.

But it's a beautiful trail in the summer, like walking through a rock garden filled with ferns and dripping springs.

glaux
12-25-2011, 10:56
Blood Mountain is probably the most popular location for day hikes and overnights among the locals. It's steep, difficult but not long, and with a gorgeous view. Popularity makes it messy, though. There's a lot of litter, and because there's a lot of messy campers, there are a lit of bears. There are no tall trees at the top to hang your food, if you were inclined to do so.I like it a lot, but I don't expect I'll be camping on the mountain at all, let alone in the shelter. The shelter is pretty if viewed from a little distance.

Razor
12-25-2011, 11:39
There are several strategies being discused by the GATC & USFS for bear management. One of those is the use of bear cans. ! We will see. It is a situation where many day hikers liter/several thru's do not have proper trail principles( Leave gear and trash), and it is a perfect area for bear raising with the cliffs . I also agree that it is a stinker for overnight but with the introduction to all the day hikers it does make for a nice warming hut. You just have to idiot proof it.--Hence no shutters or doors that they can burn in the winter