PDA

View Full Version : Quick quilt Question

AndyB
12-19-2011, 15:14
New to quilts. Generally speaking, any thing referred to as a "top quilt" will work on the ground with a pad underneath? For 3 season use , these sure seem the way to go. What am I missing?

Stir Fry
12-19-2011, 15:28
Yes a Top Quilt will work on the ground with a pad. I changed from Sleeping bad to a Quilt when I realized I used the sleeping bag more as a Quilt then a bag. Quils tend to be lighter then a sleeping bag, but you have to remember the pad becomes more importent as the temp. goes down.

leaftye
12-19-2011, 15:50
Make sure you keep an eye on the width of the quilts. Quilts made specifically for hammock users can be narrower than quilts dedicated for ground sleepers. It should still work as long as you're not too overweight, but you have to be more careful to avoid drafts.

jesse
12-19-2011, 16:37
I have a Ray-way quilt. Its made out of sil-nylon which is slippery. The end is sewn together to create a foot-box. Without the foot-box it would slip off every time you move. I don't know if that is sewn into to "top quilts", but it is important of ground sleepers.

Tinker
12-19-2011, 16:43
I have a Ray-way quilt. Its made out of sil-nylon which is slippery. The end is sewn together to create a foot-box. Without the foot-box it would slip off every time you move. I don't know if that is sewn into to "top quilts", but it is important of ground sleepers.

Silnylon is not breathable, either, which must have some effect on the comfort range (smaller range, though it would also make the quilt warmer - good for colder weather, not so good for warmer).

Non-impregnated nylon would make for a broader comfort range. Making your own could be quite an undertaking. I made a down hood once, lots of stitching and flying down :p.

Tinker
12-19-2011, 16:50
New to quilts. Generally speaking, any thing referred to as a "top quilt" will work on the ground with a pad underneath? For 3 season use , these sure seem the way to go. What am I missing?

If you are a restless sleeper, it's harder to remain covered under a quilt than inside a bag. There are some sleeping bags which approach the weight of a quilt. These usually require you to use a sleeping pad in a sleeve beneath you for warmth. Compressible insulation underneath you is wasted carry weight because loft is required to hold in heat. Crushed down or polyester fill doesn't have much (if any) loft. Quilts arrived on the scene after the bags with the sleeve in the bottom. They weigh less because they have no zipper and less fabric and fill. Without straps (or fabric "flaps") to tuck under your sleeping pad, you can easily end up with cold spots.

leaftye made a valuable observation that hammock quilts, by nature, can be narrower than "ground" quilts, without the "draft" penalty (but only when used in a hammock).

jstewse
12-19-2011, 22:16
Conversely, if you are a restless sleeper, you may find a quilt much nicer to toss is rather than getting tangled up in a sleeping bag designed for a back sleeper. There are several different methods of affixing a quilt around you/to the pad, and the only one I can speak for directly is Katabatic Gear's system, but I find it to be much preferable to a bag. I tend to migrate from back to side to side throughout the night, and I can do so with ease and comfort in the quilt.

rocketsocks
12-19-2011, 23:06
New to quilts. Generally speaking, any thing referred to as a "top quilt" will work on the ground with a pad underneath? For 3 season use , these sure seem the way to go. What am I missing?A zipper and a couple oz. fill:D I have a big a.and that works for me

Nitrojoe
12-19-2011, 23:20
I have a quilt made by NUNATUK out of WA. Its a 20 degree 950 down fill. It has the foot box of course and it also has two straps that are placed about chest level and the other at lower pelvic area. The straps go under your pad and are secured to the other side with a clip in release buckle. You can adjust the size of the straps accordingly. What this does is to keep the quilt sinched down around the pad and keeps it near air tight. Also, you can purchase a down hoody which makes this combo just perfect. Ive had the quilt since my PCT thru hike in 08 and Iam very pleased with it. Just recently I sent my quilt to NUNATUK and had a few ounces of 950 down fill pumped in for my 2012 AT thru hike.

skinewmexico
12-20-2011, 00:24
If you are a restless sleeper, it's harder to remain covered under a quilt than inside a bag.

I also run my quilt straps under my pad. Works like a charm; lets me roll around without the quilt moving.

dla
12-20-2011, 15:20
If you are a side sleeper, make sure your quilt is wide enough to cover you. And if you use straps, make sure you are covered without creating a tight spot - which will be the cold spot. Ideally you should have enough girth so that you can roll over without dragging the quilt with you. I used to quilt with a down mummy bag and now I use a real quilt - much prefer the quilt.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 19:42
Red Bull and Jacks R Better both give you wings: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20Wings.htm

(Well, you have to buy them ;)).

Some quilts have wings built in. It's a good idea to keep you and your quilt on your pad.