PDA

View Full Version : Water filters

ljcsov
12-19-2011, 22:06
Sorry guys! Last generic post!

But...what do you all say? yay? nay? Tablets? Drops? I have the Iodine tablets with neutralizer right now. They seem to work great and the taste is fine. Is it safer to have an actual filter?

swjohnsey
12-19-2011, 22:19
Basically, everything works . . . and nothin'. I don't treat my water unless it from a big source that flows were animals and people are and then I just use bleach. Big boy rules apply here.

free66
12-19-2011, 22:33
I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro and I love it. After that.... Aquamira.

G.G.
12-19-2011, 22:45
Aquamira. Sawyer has some interesting options too.

ljcsov
12-19-2011, 22:53
So its 'safe' if I am just using chemical treatment? I am cool with that.

rocketsocks
12-19-2011, 22:58
One time (no...not at band camp)I poured a bottle of after shave through a loaf of bread......worked pretty good.

swjohnsey
12-19-2011, 23:06
"Safe" is relative. Are you safe drivin' home? If you get giardiasis you ain't gonna die. You can be cured by takin' a single pill.

RyanK817
12-20-2011, 01:29
I use the Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter. Only 11 ounces, and you have fresh-tasting reliably clean water within moments, no pumping required. Plus you can make just one trip to the water source and get up to 10 liters to bring back to the shelter. Give the filter a quick scrubbing once a week and the rate of flow is great. I've only used a filter on the trail, but for me the extra ounces are worth it. Giardiasis may not kill you, but it still sucks big time, and medicine may be days away on the trail.

lemon b
12-20-2011, 08:39
Drinking water is one of the finer pleasures of hiking. I still lug along a sweetwater, bulky yes, but safe. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable then a case of cramps or cramps and the runs. Been sick from bad water once and the recovery was slow.

Papa D
12-20-2011, 09:03

I have had 2-3 of these - including the predecessor which was made by PUR - the prpblems with filters are as follows:

1) It's heavy - like a boat anchor
2) They freeze
3) They are easy to cross contaminate
4) They clog - even when you put a coffee filter around the pre-filter
5) They clog if you are exceedingly careful
6) They break, get gummed up, etc.

Long distance folks have figured out that aqua-mira, bleach, or just not treating sometimes is really the easiest way to go.

garlic08
12-20-2011, 09:42
I have had 2-3 of these - including the predecessor which was made by PUR - the prpblems with filters are as follows:

1) It's heavy - like a boat anchor
2) They freeze
3) They are easy to cross contaminate
4) They clog - even when you put a coffee filter around the pre-filter
5) They clog if you are exceedingly careful
6) They break, get gummed up, etc.

Long distance folks have figured out that aqua-mira, bleach, or just not treating sometimes is really the easiest way to go.

Ditto this, exactly my experience. When I started hiking over 500 miles a season, the filters just didn't seem to last without a lot of maintenance. As I hiked more, I got better at getting water from clean sources. On the AT, I could pretty easily time my arrival at good springs so I didn't need to treat much water at all. I carry Aquamira for the few times I need to get water downstream of cattle or people. I used less than one half of one set of AM on the AT, so it's cost-effective, too. On hikes in Wilderness areas out West with few people and no livestock, I don't even carry AM anymore.

Bucho
12-20-2011, 10:34
Basically, everything works . . . and nothin'. I don't treat my water unless it from a big source that flows were animals and people are and then I just use bleach. Big boy rules apply here.

Plenty of people get away with that and I hiked with two who got giardia that way.

Personally I use the sawyer 3-way inline, it'll costs $50 and less than 3oz for your thru hike.

rusty bumper
12-20-2011, 10:51
I drink spring water right out of the ground, and use Aquamira to treat water from all streams.

Spokes
12-20-2011, 11:29
Most thru's use AquaMira. Old boring debate about whether water along the trail is good or bad. Personally I believe most hikers get sick from eating out of others food bags. I came to loath the dreaded "Want some GORP?" offer.......

Bucho
12-20-2011, 11:37
Sorry guys! Last generic post!
But...what do you all say? yay? nay? Tablets? Drops? I have the Iodine tablets with neutralizer right now. They seem to work great and the taste is fine. Is it safer to have an actual filter?

Here's what wikipedia had to say on the subject:

Neither chlorine (e.g., bleach) nor iodine alone is considered completely effective against Cryptosporidium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidium), although they are partially effective against Giardia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia). Iodine should be allowed at least 30 minutes to kill Giardia. Chlorine is considered slightly better than iodine against Giardia. A more complete field solution that includes chemical disinfectants is to first filter the water, using a 0.2 micron ceramic cartridge pumped filter, followed by treatment with iodine or chlorine, thereby filtering out cryptosporidium, Giardia, and most bacteria, along with the larger viruses, while also using chemical disinfectant to address smaller viruses and bacteria that the filter cannot remove. This combination is also potentially more effective in some cases than even using portable electronic disinfection based on UV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV) treatment, such as using a SteriPEN uv portable water purifier (http://www.steripen.com/).

An alternative to iodine based preparations in some usage scenarios are silver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver) ion/chlorine dioxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_dioxide) based tablets or droplets. Sold under names like Micropur Forte, Aquamira, and Pristine, these solutions may disinfect water more effectively than iodine based techniques while leaving hardly any noticeable taste in the water in some usage scenarios. Silver ion/chlorine dioxide based disinfecting agents will kill Cryptosporidum and Giardia, if utilized correctly. The primary disadvantage of silver ion/chlorine dioxide based techniques is the long purification times (generally 30 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the formulation used). Another concern is the possible deposition and accumulation of silver compounds in various body tissues leading to a rare condition called argyria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria) that results in a permanent, disfiguring, bluish-gray pigmentation of the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. The cost of chlorine dioxide treatment is about four times higher than the cost of iodine treatment.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 11:44
I ingest enough chemicals in my food and drinks every day. Personally, I don't like the idea of putting chemicals into my water that are powerful enough to kill something strong enough to overpower my body's immune system, so I filter or boil.
Btw: I filter my household drinking water with a faucet mounted filter to take out the chlorine.
Letting municipal water sit in an open container will allow the chlorine to dissipate, but it takes time (and space in my refrigerator).
Yeah, I know, I think (and maybe worry) too much. :rolleyes:

ljcsov
12-20-2011, 15:38
I was thinking about getting one of these:: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Pristine-Filtration-Ceramic-Filter-Gravity-Water-Bag/productinfo/W%2DPR%2DBAG/

swjohnsey
12-20-2011, 15:46
1 lb 10 ounces.

Summit
12-20-2011, 16:13
The only suggestion missing that is in the 1834 other threads belaboring water treatment is a Steripen. Take care of it and it takes care of you. Been using mine about 5 years now and never had a problem with it (when you know to dry the electrodes on the occasional misfire).

ljcsov
12-20-2011, 16:14
Maybe this is better: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Gravity-Power-Water-Filter-and-Purification-Basecamp-Bag/productinfo/W%2DS%2DGRAVBAG/

Summit
12-20-2011, 16:42
Maybe this is better: http://www.gofastandlight.com/Gravity-Power-Water-Filter-and-Purification-Basecamp-Bag/productinfo/W-S-GRAVBAG/Very often not a convenient place to hang one though.

Ladytrekker
12-20-2011, 20:26
I love my bota bottle so easy to use and inexpensive. http://www.botaofboulder.com/water-filtration/14-outback-water-filtration-system-32oz

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2011, 20:35
Great Find Bucho! - I did not know that.....

I ingest enough chemicals in my food and drinks every day. Personally, I don't like the idea of putting chemicals into my water that are powerful enough to kill something strong enough to overpower my body's immune system, so I filter or boil.
Btw: I filter my household drinking water with a faucet mounted filter to take out the chlorine.
Letting municipal water sit in an open container will allow the chlorine to dissipate, but it takes time (and space in my refrigerator).

Yea ya do.... and the stuff kills germs and it won't tinker with your immune system.... It might knock a few good germs that aid digestion.

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2011, 20:59
Plenty of people get away with that and I hiked with two who got giardia that way.

Personally I use the sawyer 3-way inline, it'll costs $50 and less than 3oz for your thru hike.

tell us more all I see is a tiny filter and tubes... what do you like about it?

Oh and which dromedary bladder does it work with?

Bucho
12-24-2011, 14:05
The only suggestion missing that is in the 1834 other threads belaboring water treatment is a Steripen. Take care of it and it takes care of you. Been using mine about 5 years now and never had a problem with it (when you know to dry the electrodes on the occasional misfire).

A lot of us ran into the made in China problem with steripens this year. They may not actually be water resistent and end up malfunctioning.

Lyle
12-24-2011, 14:13
If you choose to use a filter, use it properly, according to the directions to avoid cross-contamination. If you aren't willing to use the proper care, you might as well save the weight and hassle and leave it at home. In my observation, about half of the filter users are not drinking purified water.

I use Aquamira and save the weight and inconvenience.

Bucho
12-24-2011, 14:21
tell us more all I see is a tiny filter and tubes... what do you like about it?

Oh and which dromedary bladder does it work with?

To use it inline cut the hose of whichever water bladder you use and stick the adapters in. They are the same adapters that platypus uses and I know they will stay put in both the platypus and camelbak hoses. Here's a picture.

Bucho
12-24-2011, 14:29
Most thru's use AquaMira. Old boring debate about whether water along the trail is good or bad. Personally I believe most hikers get sick from eating out of others food bags. I came to loath the dreaded "Want some GORP?" offer.......

Yeah, I'd also suspect that hikers are more likely to run into their or their friends ecoli than they are to encounter giardia. I've heard the advice many times that if you're only going to pick between hand sanitizer and a water filter and only take one, the hand sanitizer is the way to go. I can't argue with it, I just decided to bring both.

Odd Man Out
12-24-2011, 14:40
Very often not a convenient place to hang one though.

I have a similar water bag gravity filter. Used to be sold by ULA, but discontinued. Works like a charm. Never seemed to have trouble finding a tree branch to hang it on.

Hikes in Rain
12-24-2011, 15:27

We do that with our municipal water, as well, using the slow method. Growing up, for some reason, when I was growing up we referred to it as "homemade water".

PhoenixFire
12-24-2011, 15:47

I second this notion. I like my Hiker Pro a lot, and use it everywhere & all the time. I have yet to run into any problems with it.

STICK
12-26-2011, 10:31
I started with a Hiker Pro.

Moved to Aqua Mira drops and was much happier in all aspects.

Decided to try out some of the MicroPur tablets. Very easy to use, but left a bad taste.

Added a Frontier Pro to the MP1 tabs. Tabs killed small stuff and FP got rid of the rest. Plus, the FP improved the taste of the MP1 treated h20.

Just ordered a Sawyer 3-way inline filter. Plan to cut the bottom off of an old 2L Platy and pour the water in it and let it fall right out the filter on the other end into a drinking container. But, it is not here, so I will see how that goes once it arrives.

My favorite solution so far though is definitely the AM drops. Light, easy and the water taste great. However, when looking at $/L of water, it costs more than using most filters. (But, it is not as much $ as the tabs are and AM taste better than the tabs. Win-win!) I am hoping that the 3 way inline filter rivals the AM drops though...

I haven't brought myself to trying bleach out yet...

capehiker
12-26-2011, 11:01
About 10 years ago I bought a Katadyn with the ceramic filter. It was the rage. Did a weekend in the Whites by Pinkham. I find a stream, pull out the filter and it slips, hits a rock and cracks at my first water stop. I didn't treat my water that weekend and was fine. Since then, I switched to drops.

jakedatc
12-26-2011, 12:35
MSR miniworks for me. for 1 lb i can pump water instantly and not have to carry multiple liters of water at a time. so for the weight of 1pint it's pretty worth it for me.

ljcsov
12-26-2011, 23:12
I have my Potable tablets but I am going to try the aquamira frontier pro out. It seems like its pretty lightweight and I can probably hook it up to a 1L platy and squeeze into my camelbak

Bucho
12-27-2011, 01:09
I have my Potable tablets but I am going to try the aquamira frontier pro out. It seems like its pretty lightweight and I can probably hook it up to a 1L platy and squeeze into my camelbak

I did a google search to see what you were talking about and came across this review: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Aquamira%20Frontier%20Pro%20Filter/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/

I (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Aquamira%20Frontier%20Pro%20Filter/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/)t certainly is light, cheap and can hook to a platypus but it doesn't sound like it lasts very long: "I did not achieve Aquamira's claim for a capacity of 50 gallons. I filtered at most 5 gallons through the filter, and the suction resistance is high enough now that I am reluctant to depend on it in the field."

ljcsov
12-27-2011, 10:48
I did a google search to see what you were talking about and came across this review: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water Treatment/Filters/Aquamira Frontier Pro Filter/Test Report by Kurt Papke/

I (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Aquamira%20Frontier%20Pro%20Filter/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/)t certainly is light, cheap and can hook to a platypus but it doesn't sound like it lasts very long: "I did not achieve Aquamira's claim for a capacity of 50 gallons. I filtered at most 5 gallons through the filter, and the suction resistance is high enough now that I am reluctant to depend on it in the field."

I noticed that guy's review. If the conditions permit, I plan on not using it to filter mud puddles and sediment loaded water. That guy is sucking out the water out of rain puddle on a rock. I wouldn't touch that water with any filter. We'll see how it works out. I'll probably pick up some Aqua Mira also. People like that over Potable with PA+?

Summit
12-27-2011, 11:04
A lot of us ran into the made in China problem with steripens this year. They may not actually be water resistent and end up malfunctioning.I have the older "classic" model that uses 4 AAs. Like I said, 5 years of use section hiking . . . numerous week-long 75 or so mile hikes. I probably have 1000 miles with it. I can't speak to the newer models that use the CR-type batteries.
I am curious and would like to try a gravity feed system. Seems like a pretty good way to go. Only hesitation is I hike in Spring and Fall mostly and regularly incur freezing morning temps. I've read some negative things about ceramic filters cracking when they freeze (being wet) and the user may not even know it, resulting in exposure to harmful organisms.

jacquelineanngrant
12-27-2011, 15:22
I use the platypus gravity filter. It's lightweight and gives me four liters of clean, clear, debirs free water in two minutes. If you can't find anywhere to hang it you can hold it up above your head with the same result. The four liter capacity means I only have to hike to the water source once to have enough water for camp and to head out with in the morn.

Bucho
12-27-2011, 17:28
I have the older "classic" model that uses 4 AAs. Like I said, 5 years of use section hiking . . . numerous week-long 75 or so mile hikes. I probably have 1000 miles with it. I can't speak to the newer models that use the CR-type batteries.

That's the kind I had, mine was a piece of crap. There were at least 10 of us this year that would like to give hydro photon a piece of our minds.

I am curious and would like to try a gravity feed system. Seems like a pretty good way to go. Only hesitation is I hike in Spring and Fall mostly and regularly incur freezing morning temps. I've read some negative things about ceramic filters cracking when they freeze (being wet) and the user may not even know it, resulting in exposure to harmful organisms.
Hollow fiber filters have the same problem with freezing, because water expands when it freezes every filter will be damaged by freezing not just ceramic ones. I put my filter in a ziplock and slept with it this fall to keep it from freezing.

Bucho
12-27-2011, 21:58
I'll probably pick up some Aqua Mira also. People like that over Potable with PA+?
As far as the chemical crowd (which seems to be the largest group of thru hikers other than possibly the just drink it crowd) is concerned Aqua Mira is the uncontested winner.

I noticed that guy's review. If the conditions permit, I plan on not using it to filter mud puddles and sediment loaded water. That guy is sucking out the water out of rain puddle on a rock. I wouldn't touch that water with any filter. We'll see how it works out.
Well, we're all hiking our own hikes so hopefully you'll enjoy it. All I can say is that it wouldn't be a good option for me. Even under ideal conditions where we get 50 gallons, my girlfriend and I would go through those 50 gallons pretty fast and if it wasn't ideal conditions :S

It was really dry PA thru NY this year, I drank from mud puddles on a number of occasions and there were a few days that I spent dreaming of finding a mud puddle.

ljcsov
12-28-2011, 09:50
As far as the chemical crowd (which seems to be the largest group of thru hikers other than possibly the just drink it crowd) is concerned Aqua Mira is the uncontested winner.

Well, we're all hiking our own hikes so hopefully you'll enjoy it. All I can say is that it wouldn't be a good option for me. Even under ideal conditions where we get 50 gallons, my girlfriend and I would go through those 50 gallons pretty fast and if it wasn't ideal conditions :S

It was really dry PA thru NY this year, I drank from mud puddles on a number of occasions and there were a few days that I spent dreaming of finding a mud puddle.

Just got myself a platy grav filter for 50% off :)

bamboo bob
12-28-2011, 17:02
I've used hiker pro for 10000 miles. I buy a new insert every 1000 miles whether I need to or not. All the other ways work well also. Aqua mira is not fool proof and you get a helping of bugs and crud. Steripen doesn't work in unclear water. Pluses and minuses for each. Just personal preference really. 90% of the water is good I think. And I agree that most contamination is from hand to food to hand contact.

Bucho
12-28-2011, 18:52
ROTFL wow just the filter costs that.

Summit
12-28-2011, 19:25
Steripen doesn't work in unclear water. Pluses and minuses for each. I generally agree about the pluses and minuses, but I don't draw water unclear enough for my steripen not to work. I would argue that water unclear enough for a Steripen not to work would clog up any pump or gravity feed filter. In fact I would argue that as you add "unclearness" to water, the filter would fail due to clogging before the Steripen would fail.
The gripe against Steripens is they fail, so the user claims. I wonder about how reliable those claims are because it is true that in high humidity you get failed "fires" of the UV bulb. But if you dry the sensing electrodes, the mis-fire is corrected. I carry a single sheet of TP in the cap for those occasions, and use it to dry the sensors. Works EVERY time. I've been using my Steripen for five years and about 1000 miles of trail and will continue to do so.

July
12-28-2011, 20:08
I agree Tinker. You have to wonder about the possible effects of these chem treatments on our body's digestive friendly flora and fauna, especially over prolong continued use.

ljcsov
12-28-2011, 22:27
I agree Tinker. You have to wonder about the possible effects of these chem treatments on our body's digestive friendly flora and fauna, especially over prolong continued use.

It actually only takes a few days for your body to recovery its friendly digestive bacteria. Even if you have killed off some from chemical treatment, they'll be replenished soon enough. Bacteria rich foods such as yogurts restore digestive bacteria quickly.

Bucho
12-28-2011, 22:29
I would argue that water unclear enough for a Steripen not to work would clog up any pump or gravity feed filter.

I brought the fits all prefilter with me to try and remove the big chunks that the steripen would have trouble with, It's also a product that I wouldn't recommend.

I don't actually know how dirty water has to be for the steripen not to be able to clean it. How would you know? I can certainly say that my sawyer dealt with water that was opaque brown, that an inch of dirt settled out of while I was filtering and it didn't clog. The other thing is that if you're using a gravity filter you can turn your setup over when you're done filtering and back flush the filter out. I've had seeds, little leaves and big chunks of who knows what come out.

The gripe against Steripens is they fail, so the user claims. I wonder about how reliable those claims are because it is true that in high humidity you get failed "fires" of the UV bulb. But if you dry the sensing electrodes, the mis-fire is corrected. I carry a single sheet of TP in the cap for those occasions, and use it to dry the sensors. Works EVERY time. I've been using my Steripen for five years and about 1000 miles of trail and will continue to do so.
I noticed that the sensing electrodes on the newer classic look different than the older classic, I think the change was made to account for that very issue. I still had it happen but very infrequently and it was easily remedied. The problem I ran into with the steripen I bought and the one Hydro Photon sent to replace it was that water would leak into the steripen while it was in use and I couldn't exactly access the internals to dry them with TP.

Hydro Photon tech support advised me to remove the battery cover, batteries and bulb cap and to leave it in the sun in order to get the water to evaporate. A couple hours in the sun would get me another liter or two. What I found that worked more effectively was to roast my steripen over the fire at night. That would generally dry it out enough that it would be usable for the next day or two.

Bucho
12-28-2011, 22:31

I did run into a guy at the place, his name was something like sore foot who told me about having issues from long term iodine use.

P-Train
12-28-2011, 22:32
Just got the Katadyn Hiker for Christmas and haven't used it yet but from everything I've read for 11 oz. and the ease it should justify my needs.

Bucho
12-29-2011, 00:10
When I got to use the Katadyn hiker pro back in I think it was 04 I liked it, it had a nice flow rate. Also I'm a big fan of the quick connect widgets that come with it now.

Nitrojoe
12-29-2011, 02:07
SAWYER has just come out with a 2.4 oz water filter. You screw the filter on most plastic soda bottles and when you want to drink you just hold the the bottle up with the filter unit attached to it and squeeze the bottle and suck. Go on line to get more details.