PDA

View Full Version : Down Coats

mikeford
12-20-2011, 09:15
Been looking at getting a down jacket for backpacking in but after reading some reviews on diffrent jackets some people think they tear pretty easily. Anyone wear one with a pack on and if so do they hold up well or does the pack wear holes in them as some people claim.

Papa D
12-20-2011, 09:22
Even in the very coldest weather, I don't wear mine with a pack on for extended periods -- I would generate too much heat -- even at hikes in single digits, I wear a wool base-layer, fleece top, hat gloves, and hard shelled jacket - usually an Arcteryx. I do always carry a down jacket in appropriate cold weather for when I'm NOT carrying my pack - I'm always happy to put it on in camp or sometimes on breaks. Mine is a Western Mountaineering with 600 fill and wind-stopper fabric.

BryanR
12-20-2011, 09:37
I agree with Papa D, I think maybe once during my hike I wore my down jacket with my pack on as I hiked... and even then that was only for about 30 mins in a freezing cold start one morning in the GSM before I started to overheat. You should be fine in a base layer and rain jacket for almost all cold weather while hiking.

nitewalker
12-20-2011, 11:02
Been looking at getting a down jacket for backpacking in but after reading some reviews on diffrent jackets some people think they tear pretty easily. Anyone wear one with a pack on and if so do they hold up well or does the pack wear holes in them as some people claim.

down jackets are usually used when in camp and not as you are hiking. golite has their roan mtn jacket today on sale for 115.00$. thats 160.00$ off the full price. its a steal if your still in the market. when hiking most trails in colder seasons you would be best off to layer clothing. if u use down and start to sweat your down will be rendered useless. never get your down wet. if you really want a jacket for hiking then i would suggest a synthetic fill jacket. it will be a tad heavier and bulky but will retain warmth if you get it damp[supposedly]...

Tipi Walter
12-20-2011, 11:37
I agree with Papa D, I think maybe once during my hike I wore my down jacket with my pack on as I hiked... and even then that was only for about 30 mins in a freezing cold start one morning in the GSM before I started to overheat. You should be fine in a base layer and rain jacket for almost all cold weather while hiking.

Problem is, hiking is only half the equation when backpacking. The other half is camping. And then a nice down jacket or parka is worth its weight in . . . . . . goose down. I recommend either the Western Mountaineering Meltdown jacket or the Feathered Friends Icefall parka with the hood. These will keep a normal winter backpacker warm in camp during long January nights and week long blizzard basecamps.

scope
12-20-2011, 11:46
There is a tendency for those who don't know any better to look at something like today's down jackets and see the very flimsy but UL materials that are used and make decisions about the product based on their own limited knowledge - but then, I assume that's why you're asking the question... because you are aware that there must be some reason why they are made that way.

Down jackets are so efficient at insulating your body heat that if you wore one hiking, you would sweat in it rendering it nearly useless. The reason there has been such a push towards lighter materials is so that it becomes much more feasible to carry one for the sole purpose of putting it on in camp (or when you stop hiking and generating heat).

Now, if you're camping out in the brush in WY, then maybe that's another story. In that case, a rain shell does a good job of protecting the down jacket from snags.

As for experience wearing one with a pack, I do have a synthetic jacket (same UL materials) that I sometimes wear while hiking on cold mornings. I've never had an issue and can't imagine having one even if I wore it all the time. I'm semi-concious about not wearing it to the privy because seems like just about every privy trail has those sticker bushes (why is that?), and of course any other time I'm a little off-trail, but otherwise there should be no issue with the durability of the materials in that regard.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 12:08
You'll most likely be happiest and best prepared by bringing along an insulated garment for camp use only AND one for use on the trail, while hiking. I like down for camp since it's compressible and takes up little pack space, and fleece for on the trail since it's rugged and dries quickly. There are a number of lightweight, shelled jackets which are appropriate for hiking, but, compared to fleece, they are relatively expensive, and they don't allow you to remove the windproof shell for temperature regulation while hiking.
As a hiking SYSTEM, fleece, plus a windshell is what I use for hiking in cold weather. Swap the windshell for a rainshell in wet weather (and leave the softshell at home for town use ;)).
Fleece, though bulky, loses virtually none of its loft, even when soaking wet, and is very affordable. For me, that more than makes up for its lack of compressibility when stored in my pack.

mikeford
12-20-2011, 13:44
Thanks for the input. I think I'll get one and use when I stop for the night and change the way I layer my clothing.

peakbagger
12-20-2011, 14:08
Very few winter hikers in the whites use down gear while hiking. Many carry down and throw it on whenever they stop. Down is a lousy choice for insulation when you are wearing a pack as its insulation value is lost when compressed.

double d
12-20-2011, 14:57
As others have said, when you stop hiking and settle into camp, you will need a down coat to wear and maybe even to sleep (or use to insulate your sleeping bag). Good question and good answers-good luck on your hike!

kanga
12-20-2011, 17:02
golite has their roan mountain hooded down coat on sale today only.

BlakeGrice
12-20-2011, 17:25
I wore a patagonia down sweater under a north face down vest last weekend in camp. hiked for a bit in them, and like everyone else said, began to sweat.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 19:16
Thanks for the input. I think I'll get one and use when I stop for the night and change the way I layer my clothing.
Check your local goodwill store before buying.

I just picked up a nice Cabela's down jacket, like brand new (15 oz. once I removed the lining) - $7.50. No hood, though.

Get one with a hood, if you can. It will eliminate drafts down the back of your neck and you won't lose it like you might lose a hat.

chelko
12-22-2011, 12:10
I recently purchased a North Face 700wt down jacket and used it on a November Hike to Roan Mtn. It was in the 20s with snow and wind but Iwas comfortable with just a thermal top under it. My new favorite piece of gear for winter.