PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Solo Owners

Singletrack
12-20-2011, 09:30
The Solo is 133 inches long, any trouble finding a spot to pitch this tent on the AT? I have a 90 inch tent, and sometimes struggle with spots. May be interested in the Solo, since their on sale.

Grinder
12-20-2011, 10:23
yes, it is sometimes a problem. In the official campsites the tent barely fit lengthwise.

On the wooden platforms I couldn't figure how to set up, since all I had was pegs and the length was (IIRC) longer that the platform.

That's the only shortcoming I have found with the tent.

Creek Dancer
12-20-2011, 10:24
Nope, never had a problem anywhere.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 11:22
yes, it is sometimes a problem. In the official campsites the tent barely fit lengthwise.

On the wooden platforms I couldn't figure how to set up, since all I had was pegs and the length was (IIRC) longer that the platform.

That's the only shortcoming I have found with the tent.

I cut my teeth hiking in the White Mountains in NH, where there are platforms everywhere. Bringing some extra cordage to tie your shelter tie outs to trees around the platform or to the platform itself is a good idea. Also, on platforms, you can stuff a tiedown loop between the boards (where there is room) insert a stake through it at 90 degrees to the slat, and pull the loop tight to anchor the corner.
Necessity is the mother of invention, and thinking outside the box needs to be the norm when one is faced with unfamiliar challenges.

Don H
12-20-2011, 16:08
I didn't have a Lightheart Solo but on platforms I used small sticks of the diameter that would fit tightly in the crack between the boards to tie my tent to. Did that a few times on platforms and it worked well.
I used a Six Moons Lunar Solo which has a big footprint and it was a disadvantage at times to set it in a tight area. It definitely limits your choices in tent sites.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 19:26
I hear people talking about a "big footprint".

If you made a rectangular or cube for a shelter the size of one person it would have a small footprint.

Unfortunately, it would be completely non-aerodynamic and would catch wind like a sail and fold in half. A tent needs a slope to the sidewalls to spill rain, snow, and wind. Everything's a tradeoff. We get to decide what is the best design for our particular needs.

I love this country. :D

Don H
12-20-2011, 20:48
My Tarptent Rainbow has a relatively small footprint. My Lunar Solo has a footprint probably close to twice the size of the Rainbow even though they are both one person tents. Both have been through some serious storms and both have held up well and kept me dry. The advantage of the Rainbow are it's self standing with pole and it's smaller footprint. Disadvantage is it weighs about 8 oz. more.