PDA

View Full Version : REI Adventures Backpacking trips

BoiledPeanut
12-20-2011, 12:35
Has anyone been on one of their guided hikes?

Great Smoky Mountains Backpacking (http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/smb.html)

Days: 4
Activity Level: http://www.rei.com/pix/adventures/common/activity_level_numbers4.gif (http://www.rei.com/adventures/resources/ratingpop.html?height=500&width=600)
Activity: Backpacking
The Appalachian Trail through the Great Smoky Mountains offers fantastic hiking and expansive mountain views. We backpack from one primitive shelter to the next on this short section of a classic route to experience a taste of the Appalachian Trail thru-hiker life.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 12:58
I co-led one in the 1980s in the White Mountains. If you have the funds, you'll likely find that the leaders are well versed in the history and geology of the area and will make sure that you are well prepared, both equipment-wise and hike-wise (as in knowing what to expect from the weather, terrain, and shelter/camping situation).

I enjoyed my trip as co-leader, but generally prefer to hike alone or in small groups.

Be prepared to allow for strengths/weaknesses and personal preferences of others to have unexpected influences on how the hike plays out (to a point - the leaders should make sure that there are bailout options for those who would impede the progress of the hike).
Disclaimer: I haven't worked for REI in years, but believe that they are motivated to increase public awareness of wilderness ethics and stewardship, and know for a fact that they financially support many groups who are involved in seeing that the "wilderness" is preserved for the enjoyment of all.

Rasty
12-21-2011, 01:23
You can also look for trips sponsored by a local parks and recreation department. Went on a couple before I could drive. Great programs until you are comfortable planning you own trips. I really like going solo or with the family though. How much are the REI trips?

BoiledPeanut
12-21-2011, 11:48
It was a gift from my wife - so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth - and note sure what the total was. But a couple hundred bucks for sure - even with her "special discount" she got off the list price.

She thought this was better than me going off alone and unprepared. Plus, what ever I learn I can use when the family goes on an overnight hike. We have done many day hikes, but never backpacking overnights. We tent camp at a local parks then do a few miles in the local area. Plus, she thought this would be a way to experience the harder trails she and the kids cannot do (easily).

The reviews on REI are good, and the best part for me I show up and depend on them to plan the route, stops, mileage, water sources etc...

Rocket Jones
12-21-2011, 12:21
Very cool gift, and given with good intentions too.

Ender
12-21-2011, 12:42
I've heard good things about their hikes. And you'll meet group of like-minded folks as well, which can be a lot of fun. Have a great time!

Northern Lights
12-21-2011, 13:35
They have some amazing hikes listed on their web site. Kilimanjaro is on my bucket list.

Blissful
12-21-2011, 13:38
I met this group while I was staying at Davenport Shelter last fall. Looked like everyone was having a good time and the leaders seemed competent. Everyone went to bed at a reasonable time and got up that way too, which was nice for me.

Theosus
12-21-2011, 21:40
Seemed kind of expensive for my taste and I didn't like some of the expectations.. One being the provided tent and food loads will be divided amoung hikers. They give you multiperson tents to carry and sleep in. I got a hammock or single person tent for a reason... I guess what they are saying is one person might carry a two person tent and the other person balances the weight carrying two persons worth of food.One of the complaints I heard was spending too much time at the meeting area going over gear, so most of the first day was wasted. But if someone bought me one of these trips, I would go. Sounds interesting, and like a good start.

MikeyE
12-24-2011, 01:16
I went on this trip in June it was a gift from my wife for my birthday. The guides were really fun and informative and we had a diverse group of people. I thought it would be an easy walk in the woods but it was very challenging. It is a good way to get into hiking. Since that trip I have done 38 miles of the AT in Georgia.