PDA

View Full Version : Vogel State Park to Blood Mtn?

mgeiger
12-20-2011, 19:16
Has anyone done this hike, starting in Vogel? I'm dragging my old popup camper up there mid January for a bit of winter camping and hiking. The Coosa trail looks like a good one too but maybe long for a day hike. Thoughts?

Dances with Mice
12-20-2011, 22:38
For a day hike I'd set up the pop up then drive up 180 to Winfield Scott and take the Slaughter Creek trail up to Blood.

To be exact, as someone is sure to point out, you'd hike up Slaughter Creek Trail to the AT at Slaughter Gap then follow the AT north to the top of Blood. You could either backtrack or continue on the AT north to Flat Rock Gap then take a right onto the Freeman Trail and follow it back to the AT near Woods Hole Shelter. From there you could go north back to Slaughter Gap or south to Jarrard Gap, either way leads back to Winfield Scott.

But more importantly, while you're unhitched drive towards Blairsville and stop at Jim's Smokin Que (http://www.yelp.com/biz/jims-smokin-que-blairsville-2) for the best BBQ in the world. And don't leave without a bottle of the sauce.

mgeiger
01-16-2012, 19:31
Well, we tried to get to Blood from the campground because we wanted to start and finish from "home" and do a hike we have'nt done before. Missed a turn and ended up doing a different loop. Cooked lunch on a hilltop overlooking Vogel, with Blood looming behind us. 4 miles, 1300' gain.

Toli
01-16-2012, 20:16
Well, we tried to get to Blood from the campground because we wanted to start and finish from "home" and do a hike we have'nt done before. Missed a turn and ended up doing a different loop. Cooked lunch on a hilltop overlooking Vogel, with Blood looming behind us. 4 miles, 1300' gain.

Bear Hair Trail maybe??? The maps they hand out are pretty good...

mgeiger
01-16-2012, 22:14
That was it. Did it counter-clockwise. Nice 2hr hike. Streams were high and crossings were icy. Saw a few people who had tented along the trail. Low was 19.

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 06:31
The Coosa Backcountry trail can be completed in 1 day during the summer. I started at the hiker parking lot below Blood Mtn 630am, hiked up Blood Mtn to Slaughter Gap where the Coosa veers off to the right, much later that day when i came back around to Slaughter Gap, I hiked south on the AT to the Blood Mtn bypass trail and hiked down back to the parking lot. I finished around 7pm. All i carried with me was a small backpack with a water filter, camelbak, some snacks, and 2 sandwiches that i had made at home, and of course my trekking poles.