PDA

View Full Version : western mountainering puma -25 bag report.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 02:04
I ordered the W.M. negative 25 degree bag with GWS material last month. Was really excited about trying this bag out. Well now that I have tried out the bag, I am not happy with it and have returned it.While in the Adirondacks last week, temps were only down to 10 degrees and I was in a tent. Still the bag felt cold and I could feel cold spots through out the bag. The adjustment cords were uncomfortable and I just didn't sleep good. I also used a full length winter pad.I own a MontBell 20 degree bag, which has kept me warm down to 7 degrees with a wind, no tent and a 3/4 prolite sleeping pad. Considering the above, I was surprised at the issues with the W.M -25 bag, with it being about 10 degrees out, in a tent and a full length winter pad. I have heard nothing but great things about W.M. bags and was wondering if any of you had issues with them?I am sticking to MontBell, going to order their negative 20 alpine bag in. It's a few ounces lighter the the W.M. bag and I know it will keep me toast.

Tipi Walter
12-21-2011, 06:28
Sorry to hear of your hassle. My go-to winter bag is the Puma with the microfiber shell but then it's close to four years old and doesn't have the new Gore Windstopper shell. I've been zipped up in it at -10F in the mountains of North Carolina and found such temps to be right at the edge of comfort---for me. If I had to deal with such temps consistently I wouldn't hesitate to get the Bison or maybe a Feathered Friends Snow Owl . . . or something similar. Valandre makes some highly regarded and outstanding deep-freeze bags, too.

coach lou
12-21-2011, 06:53
I also own a Puma, as I've joked many times here, that I can't zip it up unless it's the dead of winter and even then I must unzip the foot so I get alittle vent going. But, I'm also a hot blooded Italian and must have a bedroom window cracked when home sleeping. I hope that WM isn't skimping in production to cut costs in this economy, as the US auto industry did back in the 70s. I almost bought the FFs Ibex, but I am very happy with my Puma.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 10:23
That's all I have heard, how great they are. That's why I strayed away from Montbell this time. I sleep hot also, that's why I was worried the -25 would have been overkill. --------Maybe it has something to do with that GWS material? I know its only on the outside but it almost felt like if you place you bag directly on the snow and the heat gets suck out. The only spots that even felt warm, were the ones directly touching me, even then it didn't get hot. I had to put my synthetic jacket inside to help keep warm and even then, if the jacket moved, I got cold.------------I had on a full layer of smartwool, from head to toe, and I still had issues. -------------Hope this was just a fluke.

Tipi Walter
12-21-2011, 14:38
What's the winter pad you use? My standard winter pad now is the Exped downmat---combined with the Puma it's mostly overkill and too warm. 8R value.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 16:14
It's the thermal rest winter pad, full length.I usually only use their 3/4 ultra light and my montbell 20 degree U.L. bag. That has always been overkill for me. The only time I ever kept it fully zipped up was that night it was 7 degrees out and I wasn't in a tent. It was a "parade of fools" trip a bunch a years ago.No biggie, just didn't work out. I'll just be a montbell anon for now on :-). Doesn't mean western mountaineering makes a bad product, just didn't work out for myself.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 16:16
Montbell snob*** sorry, auto correct.

Wil
12-21-2011, 18:32
I have used my Puma several times at around +10F and felt that I was near the edge. Not yet gone colder but I'm not confident about it. Very disappointing as I had hoped at that level I wouldn't have to cinch up, but I did.

I have been using other WM bags happily for years at higher temps and they have always taken me pretty close to rated range.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 18:43
Glad it wasn't just me, for the kind of money it cost, it should live up to at least the rating. I was just really surprised because my M.B. does not have the Windstop and is only rated to 20 but kept me warmer than the W.M.. Looking forward to getn in the M.B. Alpine now :-)!

coach lou
12-21-2011, 18:49
OK, the money story. My military mummy that my dad brought home from the USMC, wouldn't hold feathers anymore, so it was time to upgrade. I told the X that I found a bag and it was alittle spendy. She said she'd pay for half for christmas.... I told her it was $300.00......we lasted a few more years!!!

Camping Dave
12-21-2011, 19:51
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have a Badger (+15) and have been warm in it down to a few degrees below zero. I use a silk bag liner, and sleep atop an Exped Synmat 7, with a CCF pad atop that if it's cold enough. At -4, I think I wore a knit cap all night, but down to about 10 or so I be nekkid.

wrongway_08
12-21-2011, 20:09
Outdoor gear and dogs, they always seem to be more loyal and last longer than the ladies!

yappy
12-21-2011, 20:30
Apocalypse design in Fairbanks makes some of the best cold weather. Gear in the world believe me 25 below isnt cold in Fairbanks their sleepings r used for the iditarod and quest. They r spendthrift tho

The Solemates
12-21-2011, 20:50
i like mountain hardwear bags. they tend to be a little heavier, but they always work for me. My 5 degree bag from them consistently keeps me warm down to single digits every winter. I've used it down to -10 degrees with a little discomfort, but doable.

Tinker
12-22-2011, 14:49
Excuse me, Rick,

Are you sure you weren't using the bag upside down? ;) :D

wrongway_08
12-23-2011, 02:12
Could've been! You know me too well....!!

Tipi Walter
12-23-2011, 07:37
Apocalypse design in Fairbanks makes some of the best cold weather. Gear in the world believe me 25 below isnt cold in Fairbanks their sleepings r used for the iditarod and quest. They r spendthrift tho

I scanned their website and didn't see a thing about their sleeping bags. Hmmm?