PDA

View Full Version : Permit Questions

nsiderbam
12-21-2011, 02:22
How early do you need to get your permit? I attend USNA and won't know until a month or two beforehand what time I get leave this summer. This is something I really want to do and I don't want to miss out on it simply because the Navy doesn't want us to know our schedules too far ahead of time. If it's something that must be done early and I acquire a permit for the time I'll most likely be home, and then end up not having leave during that time, is there any way to give it to somebody else or "return" it so I'm not stealing somebody's opportunity?

Thanks!

Ladyofthewoods
12-21-2011, 11:09
Permit for what? The AT is wide open for the hiking until you come to the Great Smokey National Park. Then you do need to sign in as a thru-hiker to get in the shelters (required to stay in thru the park). Then, farther north, I think you need to register for a space in the huts in the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

Tinker
12-21-2011, 11:58
OOPS! My bad. I have the "NEED to READ" :o (obscure reference to the old movie "Top Gun", starring boy wonder Tom Cruise).

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2011, 13:04
The OP has posted in and is asking about the John Muir Trail - not the AT.

Spirit Walker
12-21-2011, 15:01
The Sierra permit system used to have half the permits allocated ahead of time and half as walk in permits. Don't know if that's still the case. Check their website or give them a call. If so, you can go to Yosemite and stand in line at the backcountry station very very early in the a.m. and snag a permit. You might just plan on being flexible as to entry point - i.e. you may not be able to start in the Valley, you might need an alternate trailhead. In Yosemite, it's all good hiking.

schnikel
12-22-2011, 10:03
You can get a permit starting at 6 weeks before the start date of the hike. If that doesn't work you can do the walk in idea. They hold 40% of the permits for walk-ins. If you look around http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm it will give you a lot of info. IMHO be open to different trailheads other than the Happy Isles TH. Good luck!
Schnikel

nsiderbam
12-22-2011, 16:35
Thanks for the help! I signed up for the yahoo! JMT group and they have a lot of good info there.

It seems like the timing will work out, then. As long as my leave doesn't end up being right in the beginning of the summer, I should know six weeks beforehand when I'll have leave and want to do the trip. I also don't mind starting at a different trailhead -- I just want to get a full 210+ miles in and enjoy it all. I've been reading a bunch of PCT/JMT blogs and watching videos, and now I'm all psyched up!

A few more questions: if somebody else is coming with me, how would we go about getting permits for the same trailhead and date? Also, I've never gone backpacking in snow or done river crossings -- aside from trekking poles, what type of equipment might I need? From what I've been reading, it seems like there might be a lot of snow this summer.

Thanks again! I'm working on a gear list right now and might be posting in a while to see what everybody thinks!

kayak karl
12-22-2011, 17:03
You must have a backcountry permit in your possession while camping in the backcountry. These are easily obtained at the ranger station in the park. Some campsites and the sole shelter on that the BMTA are rationed. This means that you must make a reservation through the backcountry registration office at 856-436-1231 for the campsite and dates you request. The BMT through hiker cannot simply put "thru-hiker" on reservation and hike like a AT hikers can.
I dictated this out of Sgt. Rock's book "Benton MacKaye Trail". BOOK (http://bmtguide.com/)
Thanks Sgt. Rock

kayak karl
12-22-2011, 17:06
never mind. wrong trail LOL

wcgornto
12-22-2011, 21:05
You can get a permit starting at 6 weeks before the start date of the hike.

Actually, it's 24 weeks before the start date. I already have March 2nd after 5:00 PST marked on my calendar to fax in the form request for my permit.

wcgornto
12-22-2011, 21:15
A few more questions: if somebody else is coming with me, how would we go about getting permits for the same trailhead and date? Also, I've never gone backpacking in snow or done river crossings -- aside from trekking poles, what type of equipment might I need? From what I've been reading, it seems like there might be a lot of snow this summer.

One permit for both people. The permit has to be in the name of one of the hikers and the permit request must specify the number of hikers. Of course, depending on the trailhead and the date, the more people on the permit request, the more difficult it might be to get your first choice.

There is less snow to no snow later in the season (August and September) and lower stream crossings, all dependent on how much snow accumulates in the winter. In 2006, I hiked a section on the JMT guided, stock supported in a group. We went north from Florence Lake rather than south because the mules couldn't go over the snow covered high passes to the south. The passes were open to foot traffic though, but I don't know how difficult they were since I didn't go that way.

Snow cover is something I will need to keep an eye on myself, though my hike is planned for the second hald of August.

Woods
12-26-2011, 19:40
It depends where your entry point is as each jurisdiction has different permit processes. If you want to leave from Yosemite a lot of the Happy Isle ones will fill up but its fairly easy to get a permit you will just have to have a different start.

Miner
12-27-2011, 21:03
I will just say this. I have never gotten a permit ahead of time for any hike in the Sierra Neveda as they hold some for walk ins. I've always picked one up the day before my hike or the same morning of my hike. The only time I'd consider getting a permit ahead of time would be to start at the Whitney Portal and even then, there are other places you can start; say Cottonwood Pass to the south and do the Whitney climb portion from the west side as a day hike from Crabtree Meadows before heading north.

To get a permit without a reservation here is some advice: show up before the ranger office opens (the day before your hike would be even better), consider starting on a weekday instead of a weekend, consider a few alternative nearby trailheads that you can use to connect to the trail you want. For a JMT southbound hike, consider starting at Tuolumne Meadows instead of Yosemite Valley and do the portion between the two as a long day hike taking advantage of the shuttle buses between the 2.

Nothing wrong with getting a permit ahead of time if you know your exact schedule that far in advance. I rarely do so I don't and since I'm driving instead of flying, last minute trips are easier to do.

flemdawg1
01-10-2012, 17:58
How soon do you get a reply back if you goet/don't get a spot? I'm just looked at the Full trailhead List (http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/original/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm) and for the TH that were open y-day many already show full (all the Happy Isle THs and GP to LVY). I guess I would need to fax in the app at 5:01pm PST the day before just to insure a spot for the day I want. Should I keep following up each day after until I get a positive reply? DW wouldn't go for a 30 mile deathmarch of a dayhike from VY to TM.

Malto
01-10-2012, 21:36
If you end up starting at TM then you would do a 25 mile hike DOWN to the valley at the end. It actually is not as hard as it sounds. If you run into any permit issues, PM me , I can give you a number of creative options.

tuswm
01-11-2012, 13:03
we waited inline to start a day early and found someone that wanted to trade with us so because part of their parts was running a day late. there are many options. also once on the trail the only place we were ever asked for a permit was while camping at little yosemite a massive backpacker campground at the top of the first hill outside the valley. If you started from toulomy meadows I dont think you would ever get asked for a permit.

Cookerhiker
03-05-2012, 17:25
How soon do you get a reply back if you goet/don't get a spot? I'm just looked at the Full trailhead List (http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/original/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm) and for the TH that were open y-day many already show full (all the Happy Isle THs and GP to LVY). I guess I would need to fax in the app at 5:01pm PST the day before just to insure a spot for the day I want. Should I keep following up each day after until I get a positive reply? DW wouldn't go for a 30 mile deathmarch of a dayhike from VY to TM.

If you fax your request in and include your e-mail address on the form, you'll get a response in a few hours. Worked for me just today - faxed in application to start at Lyell Canyon on August 18 and received e-mail confirmation within 2 hours. I'm in!

wcgornto
03-06-2012, 22:14
If you fax your request in and include your e-mail address on the form, you'll get a response in a few hours. Worked for me just today - faxed in application to start at Lyell Canyon on August 18 and received e-mail confirmation within 2 hours. I'm in!

I faxed a permit request Saturday night for an August 19th start. Three days later, I have had no reply. No bother to me, I already have a northbound permit from Horseshoe Meadows and I am indifferent as to direction.

wcgornto
03-11-2012, 20:19
I faxed a permit request Saturday night for an August 19th start. Three days later, I have had no reply. No bother to me, I already have a northbound permit from Horseshoe Meadows and I am indifferent as to direction.

I spoke to a ranger on Wednesday and I did receive a permit for a Tenaya lake start. I was actually billed for the fee Tuesday. After I spoke to the ranger, he sent me the confirmation email.

Rambler
04-04-2012, 14:34
There is a list of days to apply for specific starting dates and getting one will give you peace of mind. Lyell Canyon (Tuolumne) is a wonderful starting off point for some great hiking. It is almost all down hill hiking to get back to Yosemite and it is a great place to start the JMT. You hike many hours on Day One through a Meadow! On arrival in the Park, I was able to start out a day ahead of my original permit, so be sure to ask.