PDA

View Full Version : Is the trail 3 miles longer this year?

MikeGoingToMaine
12-21-2011, 13:51
I thought I read that the trail is three miles longer this year than last year. I forget where I read this, but it was during one of my sessions in regards to getting ready for the thruhike. It could have been the ATC website.

Anyway, does anyone know if the trail is longer this year? If so, where is/are the extensions? If so, do you have an official website or something? I am thinking about buying some maps but I want to be sure they have all of the 2012 additions and subtractions in them.

Thanks!

max patch
12-21-2011, 14:01
Yes, 2,184 but I don't have a clue where all the additions and subtractions are. The maps are generally updated every few years so even if you have the most current maps they will not all reflect the current trail. Not an issue for most relo's.

jacquelineanngrant
12-21-2011, 14:49
Damascus hard core added some miles with switchbacks up to pond flats. They also had plans to lenthen the climb up Roan mtn.

chazaq
12-28-2011, 14:30
Bob Peoples strikes again!

RWheeler
12-28-2011, 15:03
Were any of the changes in VT/NH from Irene damage? I may only be thinking of that due to me being up in New England, but that's the first thing I thought of.

sarge95
12-28-2011, 16:35
About half of the extention in located in the Eastman section. The relo on Pond Mtn actually shortened the trail. The maps normally will not change by a 1/4 mile relo. The new relos will be well marked and new trail cannot be missed.

Miner
12-28-2011, 23:24
Damascus hard core added some miles with switchbacks up to pond flats. They also had plans to lenthen the climb up Roan mtn. Switchbacks!? on the AT!? What is the world coming to? Pretty soon, people might start thinking they are on the PCT. :p

PJWetzel
12-29-2011, 08:27
ATC posted the 'official notice' on their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/ATHike?sk=wall&filter=2#

There's no direct link to the particular post. Scroll down to their entry for December 9th with a picture of the new 2012 Data book.