PDA

View Full Version : Boss said NO!

Pages : [1] 2

Rwood
12-21-2011, 21:11
I asked my boss for 6 months off without pay so that I could hike the AT in 2012. Yesterday, he officially said NO! I'm soooooo bummed!

Lone Wolf
12-21-2011, 21:13
I asked my boss for 6 months off without pay so that I could hike the AT in 2012. Yesterday, he officially said NO! I'm soooooo bummed!grow a sac and just quit. jobs are a dime a dozen

Wise Old Owl
12-21-2011, 21:13
Ahh - well we need a little more than that... how much have you saved and how much of a dismal job is it?

Wise Old Owl
12-21-2011, 21:15
grow a sac and just quit. jobs are a dime a dozen

Unless you live in Winchester, Virginia...they are having the worst sucky winter holiday in the dark.....

Lone Wolf
12-21-2011, 21:18
Unless you live in Winchester, Virginia...they are having the worst sucky winter holiday in the dark.....that makes 0 sense. huh?

ekeverette
12-21-2011, 21:19
weigh your opions.... family... other adult obligations.... then.....? the hell with it!

rocketsocks
12-21-2011, 21:31
Why don't you just tell the boss to.............."Take a Hike"

Theosus
12-21-2011, 21:31
I asked my boss for 6 months off without pay so that I could hike the AT in 2012. Yesterday, he officially said NO! I'm soooooo bummed!That's so wrong! Go Occupy Wall Street!

stranger
12-21-2011, 21:52
If you want it you need to quit you job. Quitting a job is a skill, not many people have it, and it needs to be developed. Everyone wants to think they are in a unique situation and for some reason they can't possibly quit. I've learned you can do anything you want in this world, you simply have to understand the consequences and accept them. You only live once.

Rwood
12-21-2011, 22:01
Thanks for the support guys. I can make it 6 months w/o a job with creative 'accounting' but I can't quit. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning. Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age. The bad part is, that it's 'The Workload' excuse. And I KNOW that they can survive 6mos w/o me! I even convinced my wife and kids to support me being gone for 6 mos. I'll buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!

Alpine Jack
12-21-2011, 22:09
I hope you win the lotto!

10-K
12-21-2011, 22:12
Thanks for the support guys. I can make it 6 months w/o a job with creative 'accounting' but I can't quit. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning. Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age. The bad part is, that it's 'The Workload' excuse. And I KNOW that they can survive 6mos w/o me! I even convinced my wife and kids to support me being gone for 6 mos. I'll buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!

Don't feel bad about meeting your obligations. I have it on good authority that the Appalachian Trail is not going to go anywhere.

You also have to know that if you ask if you should go hike or not on a hiking forum your advice is going to be heavily skewed towards hiking - whether it's the right thing or makes sense or not.

BlakeGrice
12-21-2011, 22:15
Do it while you can.

wornoutboots
12-21-2011, 22:17
Start putting in Resumes at places that you desire working, when you find one that likes you tell them that you plan on taking a 6 months break before you start. If they say that's ok then you're golden & then you can tell your current boss to "take a hike"

Slo-go'en
12-21-2011, 23:29
There are always shorter trips. Maybe they'd go for a month's leave. If you already have 2 weeks or more in vacation time lined up, then a month isn't much of a streach. I don't know how much or how little backpacking you've done, but if you've never been out for a solid month at a time before, this would be good to try before commiting to a 6 month trip and all the financial issues that would cause your family.

Sly
12-21-2011, 23:34
Do it while you can.

Ditto that. Three years ago I was hiking strong. Now I can barely make it 100 yards without having to stop and rest. No long distance hikes or cures in sight.

rhjanes
12-21-2011, 23:39
Thanks for the support guys. I can make it 6 months w/o a job with creative 'accounting' but I can't quit. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning. Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age. The bad part is, that it's 'The Workload' excuse. And I KNOW that they can survive 6mos w/o me! I even convinced my wife and kids to support me being gone for 6 mos. I'll buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!closer to the end of your career? I'd not quit. Keeping that longevity in your retirement funds does make a difference. Our financial advisor just pointed out that if I can last nine more years at the current professional job, I can retire early and NEVER work again. If I get laid off, out-sourced, right-sourced, off-shored, with-in the nine years, well, I can take a lower paying job (getting a job in my area, is close to impossible now, they are all off-shore), and we still retire at 62 and never work again. SO, I'm sticking it out as long as the job does.
You also need to assess (as already pointed out) just how easy getting another job of similar duties AND pay is. Maybe you are lucky and have a skill with lots of options.

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2011, 00:12
Which is more important to you? Keeping a good job (in a failing economy) and taking responsibility for commitments like your marriage, the mortgage and other financial commitments, and your children and their upcoming college costs (at least partially in all likelihood) - or taking a 6 month personal hiking vacation?

The question is pretty clear, and likely, so is the answer.

Iceaxe
12-22-2011, 00:20
Quit and worry about it later.
That is.. work until you have enough money.. then quit and worry about "after the hike" later.
As Lone Wolf said: Jobs are a dime a dozen.
This is true.
The only reality worth caring about is; family or trail.
Family first.. then trail.
To hell with the rest.
Your work-place will cut you out of the picture the very second you become "unprofitable" so don't shed a tear for them.
The experience you will have on the trail will last until you are in the grave.
There is no digital equivalent.
The trail experience cannot be quantified in dollars.
As for the "personal vacation" you will grow beyond yourself. Your experience might be the catalyst for growth beyond yourself, and even within your family.
The classic hero's journey is to ; leave home, gather some arcane knowledge or experience, and return to share it with family and friends.
You could NOT hike and be safe.
You CAN Hike and find out what is "down the rabbit hole" and bring it back to share with everyone.
The journey is not without peril.
Heavy winds shall blow.
What good thing has come without effort?
If we do not risk we do not reap or grow.
Will the six months of "same-ness" be worth more than the unknown bounty?
Only you can find out.
Personally my journey has affected people i never met.
Well beyond just family and friends.
Follow your Bliss.
I suppose the smart thing is to section hike.. I am not smart.
The trail is waiting for you.
As for what happens after.. A door will open where none existed before.
You WILL survive after the trail.
The sacrifice is worth the journey, and then some.
All that said you should probaly just stay home where everything is safe and well known.

SwitchbackVT
12-22-2011, 00:36
A wise man once said:

"You can make more money, but you can't make more time."

It's true.

Sly
12-22-2011, 00:36
Which is more important to you? Keeping a good job (in a failing economy) and taking responsibility for commitments like your marriage, the mortgage and other financial commitments, and your children and their upcoming college costs (at least partially in all likelihood) - or taking a 6 month personal hiking vacation?

The question is pretty clear, and likely, so is the answer.

If he was planning on hiking I assume he has the OK from the family and the money to pay his bills etc. while he's hiking. The problem is having work when he gets done.

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2011, 00:54
If he was planning on hiking I assume he has the OK from the family and the money to pay his bills etc. while he's hiking. The problem is having work when he gets done.Yep. Those responsibilities to his family and paying those long-term bills go on for at least several years, and probably more, post hike. Getting a good job (one that has health insurance, pays for mortgages, cars, kids in college, etc) when returning is hardly a gimme these days. Lots of minimum wage and less than full-time ones (to avoid paying benefits) out there - but damn few good ones. If he didn't have all the family "trappings" (is that a Freudian slip?), I wouldn't have even posted.

jacob_springsteen
12-22-2011, 01:26
I asked my boss for 6 months off without pay so that I could hike the AT in 2012. Yesterday, he officially said NO! I'm soooooo bummed!

If you could get a month off w/o pay then that would still be worth going for. I don't know your experience with the AT and what would be the next best thing to doing a thru-hike for you, but a month of hiking on the AT can do wonders for one's perspective and busting out of the work rut and maybe giving you the latitude to change jobs thereafter with ample opportunity to get enough time off for a thru-hike. It couldn't hurt to ask for a month off perhaps or does it have to be all or none right now?

nitewalker
12-22-2011, 06:15
ask your boss to go with you and maybe he will reconsider...its worth a shot....

dlittle
12-22-2011, 07:27
And, you are blaming your boss!?So, unless you are there just to occupy a desk, someone will need to do your work.

KimberVa
12-22-2011, 07:50
A wise man once said:

"You can make more money, but you can't make more time."

It's true.

Absolutely. I finally realized far too late that I have wasted a good part of my life chasing the almighty dollar instead of chasing of the fulfillment of dreams and ambitions. I may have less money now but I if I died tomorow I would have no regrets.

lemon b
12-22-2011, 08:34
4eyedbuzzard is right on the money. Family and responsibility first. After all how could we as a group keep the trail going if we became an irresponsible group? On the other hand if one is single, has some extra cash and is not too fond of what they are doing in life, by all means go for it.

hikerboy57
12-22-2011, 08:42
im fortunate to have a boss who supportts my life goals, and he had given me 3 months to hike the southern half, as i had finally decided to do my hike in two parts, but life has interfered once again wioth my plans. My daughter is pregnant due in may(my first grandchild), so I'm only taking a month to do springer to damascus, hope to take another month in august to do maine SOBO.then maybe next year I'll take 4 months to fill in the gap.wouldnt mind finishing in gorham, met a lot of great people there.
listen to your heart,. with obligations its sometimes difficult to just get up and hike, and its great your family is supportive. Ive never been afraid to leave a job, as Im confidant in my skills, and whenever I did leave a job, it always worked out for the better. but if circumstances make this too difficult for you, as everyone says, the AT aint going nowhere, and you cn join the growing group of section hikers in the meantime, and maybe buy a man patch.

Blue Jay
12-22-2011, 09:03
Absolutely. I finally realized far too late that I have wasted a good part of my life chasing the almighty dollar instead of chasing of the fulfillment of dreams and ambitions. I may have less money now but I if I died tomorow I would have no regrets.

Bingo, this is it exactly. All we have is time and not even a clue as to how much. Money is actually quite worthless if you are only waiting to live.

stranger
12-22-2011, 09:06
You won't always be able to go hiking, eventually that option will be taken from you. I for one tend to regret the things I didn't do (there are many) rather than the things I have done. Granted, no mortgage (on purpose) and no kids (on purpose) plus I live in a much better part of the world in terms of time off from work, so my views are certainly biased based on my experiences. I know our economy at home is terrible and not going to improve anytime soon, however...there is always a way.

I would spend some significant time putting together a proposal that will make it easier for your boss to say yes. Simply asking your boss for 6 months off just makes it waaaay too easy to say no - it's just too hard. You say they can absorb you being gone, can you prove it? How do you know this? What does your boss care about? What is their bottom line? How can you 'frame' your proposal in a positive way for the business? How can you put together a compelling reason for your boss to say yes?

Make it hard to say no as opposed to making it hard to say yes.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2011, 09:12
5 regrets http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html

10-K
12-22-2011, 09:16
Another thing to consider is that the chances of completing a thru hike are not in your favor. The vast majority of people who start do not finish.

Wouldn't it suck to quit your job this late in your career, just on the verge of retiring young - only to have to get off the trail in Franklin, Erwin, Damascus, etc.?

In fact, the odds of you getting injured or for some other reason not being able to finish a thru hike are so much higher than the chances of something happening to you over the next few years that would prevent you from ever hiking again it's a no brainer.

Take care of your family and prepare for a long life in retirement because on an actuarial basis that's what's going to happen.

10-K
12-22-2011, 09:18
5 regrets http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html

I've read that before and am in complete agreement.

But, the choice is not "quit your job and go hike or you're going to die". The odds of him working a few more years and then being able to hike in retirement are very much in his favor.

On the other hand, I'd hate to know I was dying, leaving behind a widow and children who were going to be financially insecure. That would be a regret indeed.

Blue Jay
12-22-2011, 09:46
In fact, the odds of you getting injured or for some other reason not being able to finish a thru hike are so much higher than the chances of something happening to you over the next few years that would prevent you from ever hiking again it's a no brainer.

I believe you just made up that "fact".

10-K
12-22-2011, 09:59
I believe you just made up that "fact".

If you had to bet your life on one of the following which would you pick?

1. Starting and finishing a thru hike now - knowing that the completion rate is very low.....

or..

2. Something happening to you over the next few years that would prevent you from ever starting a thru-hike at all.

10-K
12-22-2011, 10:05
I got the guy who's financial planner told him he could retire in a few years mixed up with the OP, sorry.

Still, I would never quit my job to go hiking especially if I had a wife and children getting ready for college.

This reminds me of conversations I have with my son about saving money and delayed gratification.

He'll want something that requires him to save but when he gets to a certain point he sees something else he wants that's clearly impulsive. He'll spend his money and buyer's remorse sets in almost immediately.

Storm
12-22-2011, 10:18
The op states that he is close to retirement but doesn't say how close unless I missed it somewhere. I think if he is pretty close he should wait. I am in retirement and attempting a thru hike in the spring. The pluses of waiting for retirement far outweigh quiting his job just to go now. When I leave in the spring I will not have to worry about money. I will have enough set aside to completely cover my hike. Also the money will still be coming in for the wife in the form of retirement income and social security. Being able to go without finanial worries on the home front is a big plus. JMHO

Blue Jay
12-22-2011, 10:33

1. Starting and finishing a thru hike now - knowing that the completion rate is very low.....

or..

2. Something happening to you over the next few years that would prevent you from ever starting a thru-hike at all.

That's perfect. #1, why because number 2 has already happened but I already have thrued. If I had taken your bad advice I would now be screwed.
Completion rates, like your "odds" are mostly pulled out of something.

10-K
12-22-2011, 10:39
That's perfect. #1, why because number 2 has already happened but I already have thrued. If I had taken your bad advice I would now be screwed.
Completion rates, like your "odds" are mostly pulled out of something.

So, your experience is what everyone else is going to experience?

Not to be blunt, but I'm not going to make any life altering decisions based on your singular experience.

BTW, you don't know what would have happened or where you'd be now if you hadn't thru hiked. Maybe in some way that's why you're screwed now.

Blue Jay
12-22-2011, 10:41
But, the choice is not "quit your job and go hike or you're going to die". The odds of him working a few more years and then being able to hike in retirement are very much in his favor.

Actually it's "quit your job and go hike BECAUSE you could die". Probability is a funny thing, I know six specific people who had one item bucket lists that died almost tasting their dreams. One was my father. Eventually odds (even made up ones) come down to actuality.

Blue Jay
12-22-2011, 10:43
Not to be blunt, but I'm not going to make any life altering decisions based on your singular experience.

That was not blunt but very obvious to the extreme.

10-K
12-22-2011, 10:48
Actually it's "quit your job and go hike BECAUSE you could die". Probability is a funny thing, I know six specific people who had one item bucket lists that died almost tasting their dreams. One was my father. Eventually odds (even made up ones) come down to actuality.

Yes, it is unfortunate that you know 6 people who died almost tasting their dreams. That's been happening as long as there have been people and it's sad. Go walk around a children's hospital sometime.

I wonder how many people have put off something they've wanted to do for a greater good, completed that task, and then went on to follow their dreams? More I would imagine.

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2011, 11:01
This thread didn't go down the ususal path one normally takes over the years - it clearly shows a lot of us are worried about finding work afterwards and with so many millions that can work - but cant find a job in this economy.... many are thinking twice.

BobTheBuilder
12-22-2011, 11:02
Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age.

In the spirit of Christmas, I have chosen not to post my first response because it was more than a little harsh. Instead, I suggest that you consider fulfilling your responsibilities as a father (until your kids are off on their own) before attempting a thru hike. You also might get a better response from your boss if you give him a little more notice.

ChinMusic
12-22-2011, 12:12
I got the guy who's financial planner told him he could retire in a few years mixed up with the OP, sorry.

Still, I would never quit my job to go hiking especially if I had a wife and children getting ready for college.

This

I need to read no further in this thread.

I'm 53 and planning on a thru in 2013. Kids through college, empty nester, no debt, set. No regrets on not hiking a thru in my 30s or 40s.

Malto
12-22-2011, 12:13
Would your Company's answer have been different if the duration was 3 months instead of 6 months? I was in a similiar situation as you, age-wise and career. I ended up hiking the PCT in a little over 3 months. In end I got my leave because it was a relatively short duration. I used several weeks accurred vacation and took an eight week leave. This made the absence more like a maternity leave than a longer duration issue. Certainly a fast hike is not for everyone but it was the enabler that allowed me to do my hike.

10-K
12-22-2011, 12:29

What this has come down to is "all or none thinking".

He either hikes now OR the risks are so high that something will happen to keep him from hiking in the (near) future that he should drop everything and go hiking right now, this March - before it's too late and he regrets it for the rest of his natural life.

And this is even though he has a wife, college age children, and from the sounds of it a long term reliable work situation.

I chased the almighty dollar and it's worked out to my advantage... I'm 50, semi-retired and can go hiking pretty much when I want to.

Do you know how many of my friends told me I was crazy for working 100 hour weeks and sleeping on my office floor to get my business going? I've lost track of a lot of them but pretty much everyone I still am in touch with from those days is working for a paycheck, sick days and some vacation time.

And barring some calamity, which is always possible, my kids can get a college education.

And they won't be financially responsible for their parents when they get old. Do you know how huge that is?

I dunno... I was taught "Work first, play later." The formula has worked well for me.

Sly
12-22-2011, 12:33

IMO, most people quit because they don't allow 6-8 weeks to get fully in shape and able to handle the daily grind. I would think after Damascus or Pearisburg, the drop out rate drops dramatically.

10-K
12-22-2011, 12:35
IMO, most people quit because they don't allow 6-8 weeks to get fully in shape and able to handle the daily grind. I would think after Damascus or Pearisburg, the drop out rate drops dramatically.

No doubt.

And being homesick, twisting/breaking/spraining joints, running out of money, deciding it's not as romantic as they thought it was going to be, events back home forcing them to come back, and all that other stuff that conspires against a hiker.

What is the completion rate anyway? I was going to say 10% but wasn't sure and didn't want to dig it up.

Sly
12-22-2011, 13:06
What is the completion rate anyway? I was going to say 10% but wasn't sure and didn't want to dig it up.

Depends on who you ask, and whether passing every single white blaze is the criteria. The ultimate purist would say 1%.

I believe it's inched up from around 10% and closer to 20% which is probably attributed to lighter gear and better prepared hikers. If I'm not mistaken, many drop out still struggling in Georgia, with the majority dropping out well before Damascus.

Sly
12-22-2011, 13:10
2011 Hiker Counts (updated November 03, 2011)

Northbound (Georgia to Maine)

Springer Mtn., Ga.

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,015 miles)

Katahdin, Maine (2,181 miles)

Southbound (Maine to Georgia)

Katahdin, Maine
n/a

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,166 miles)

Springer Mtn., Ga. (2,179 miles)
9*

Flip-flop

Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

Completions reported
11*

Section (more than one year)

Harpers Ferry, W. Va.

Completions reported

tiptoe
12-22-2011, 13:10
If you don't have your heart set on a thru, section hiking is a good alternative. You can take 2-3 weeks off at a time, assuming you have a good vacation policy, and you can keep your job. Otherwise, keep the job until you're ready to retire, then do the thru. Jobs are not that easy to come by in today's economy.

wornoutboots
12-22-2011, 13:20
My 3 cents

Just curious? Where is it written that parents need to pay for college for their children?? This is a lie that has been pushed for too long!! Wake up!! I have 3 boys who have/are/ will be working their butts off putting themselves through college (if thats what the youngest one wants)!! Couldn't be more proud as a parent in doing so!! They have learned to work hard through life to get them where they want to be.
What is a fathers/husbands responsibility? To provide safety & security to the family up until there kids are 18 & to their spouse for life. Whatever this is, is defined by the communications inside the relationship. I'd be thrilled to move to Damascus or Hot Springs, get a job stocking shelves at the Food Lion & living a simpler life but that has to be determined as a couple. It seems like so many people are still holding onto this false dream of a big house & a large retirement account is the Key to happiness. The sad part is that so many people who grind out hours of their day so their boss can get a bigger boat & a vacation house won't realize this until tragedy strikes them in the face.

garlic08
12-22-2011, 13:21
...I'm 53 and planning on a thru in 2013. Kids through college, empty nester, no debt, set. No regrets on not hiking a thru in my 30s or 40s.

... I was taught "Work first, play later." The formula has worked well for me.

These guys have my respect. Cheers.

As far as winning the lottery (much earlier in this thread), I heard this appropriate saying: The lottery is a tax for people who don't know math.

Chaco Taco
12-22-2011, 13:29
I feel for ya. Its a tough decision.Id maybe work on your boss. How is your relationship with your boss? Just cuz they say no now doesn't mean you can't work on it. Take the time and save up the amount of money you need to do it and for your family to be comfortable, all the while just trying to figure out how you can make its work. Maybe take a couple of weeks and go on a long distance hike, maybe go and do the BMT. If you really want to make it work or figure out your path, then you will make it happen. Don't take no for an answer but don't quit a good job that may give you the means to do it right in the near future.

Chaco Taco
12-22-2011, 13:30
If you don't have your heart set on a thru, section hiking is a good alternative. You can take 2-3 weeks off at a time, assuming you have a good vacation policy, and you can keep your job. Otherwise, keep the job until you're ready to retire, then do the thru. Jobs are not that easy to come by in today's economy.

Im looking at the Long Trail. If you are into the south the BMT is a great trail.

Berserker
12-22-2011, 13:32
I see you're in MD, so how about just start section hiking. I agree with others that posted here in that family obligations should come first, and quitting a job right now doesn't seem to be a good thing to do. Although you need to evaluate your individual situation, and see if it is something that would work for you. For example, I could likely quit my current job and get a job 6 months later making a comparable salary as a contractor. Only issue with that is it would change my lifestyle, and I'm just not interested in doing that at this point in time.

Hiking the AT is a vacation as others more wise than me have stated numerous times, and thru hiking it gets way over romanticized. Like I said, just start doing some local section hikes, or take a shorter period of time off (1 month...3 months?) and do as much as you can in that period of time.

max patch
12-22-2011, 13:34
I asked for a LOA, was denied, so I quit my job to thru hike.

No way in he11 I'd do that in todays economy. Especially with family dependent on my income.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2011, 14:23
I see the discussion in this thread as important not only to the OP, but anyone in a similer situation i.e., thinking of quitting a job to through hike.

From Sly's post of 2011 stats: 1700 started, 849 checked in at H.F, 267 finish. = 49.9% made it to H.F. 33% of those who made it to H.F. finished. Overall, 15% of those who started finished. These sound like creditable numbers. Though we don't have the numbers, I'd guess 25% quit before getting out of Georgia, or at least the Smokies.

I'm glad 10K brought up the "what if you quit early" question. Will your boss who went out of his(her) way to make it possible to have you take those 6 months off welcome you back with open arms? But what I would be afraid of is that they would figure out that they didn't need me at the job at all. If the buisness can get along without me for 6 months, why not forever?

Of course, only you can answer that question, since we all have no idea what you do for a living, who you work for or how important you are to the buisness. If the buisness has invested a lot of time and money in you with training and you can not be replaced overnight, that's one thing. If they have a stack of job applications ready to pick from which can replace you at a moments notice, well, that's quite another.

There is a good reason that middle aged guys with a wife, kids, morgage and a classic 9 to 5 job are rarely found through hiking. Very, very few can pull something like that off.

Sly
12-22-2011, 14:27
Hiking the AT is a vacation as others more wise than me have stated numerous times

Sure many to refer to it as a vacation but what's the point? When people are out of work or retired is it still a vacation?

If the guy can take six months off hiking and if needed another year looking for a job and still pay the bills and support his family, what would be the problem then?

Berserker
12-22-2011, 15:46
Sure many to refer to it as a vacation but what's the point? When people are out of work or retired is it still a vacation?

If the guy can take six months off hiking and if needed another year looking for a job and still pay the bills and support his family, what would be the problem then?
Well, I think the word vacation is applicable in this guy’s case cause he has a job, family, etc. For someone retired with kids out of the house, a single person out of work who can swing it financially and many other scenario perhaps “vacation” isn’t the proper terminology. Whatever we want to call it being able to take the time to do something like a thru is definitely a “luxury item” and not a necessity. So that’s all I was trying to convey by calling it a vacation.

As for your second point I agree that if he has everything in order there is no problem with doing a 6 month hike.

10-K
12-22-2011, 16:09
Im looking at the Long Trail. If you are into the south the BMT is a great trail.

Totally off topic - I sent off for my E2E and LT guide yesterday. Hiking the LT this August is going to be my 'big' 2012 hike.

That is if I live that long.. Maybe I better do it now while I still can. :)

Hrdlee
12-22-2011, 17:44
This

I need to read no further in this thread.

I'm 53 and planning on a thru in 2013. Kids through college, empty nester, no debt, set. No regrets on not hiking a thru in my 30s or 40s.

I am the same as Chin here except for a bad knee that makes it iffy. Wished I'd hiked it when I was 22 instead of grad school.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.777244,-93.406880

chief
12-22-2011, 18:30
Thanks for the support guys. I can make it 6 months w/o a job with creative 'accounting' but I can't quit. I'm closer to the end of my career than the beginning. Have a decent job (jobs are not easy to find), have wife, kids, mortgage, and kids approaching college age. The bad part is, that it's 'The Workload' excuse. And I KNOW that they can survive 6mos w/o me! I even convinced my wife and kids to support me being gone for 6 mos. I'll buy a lotto ticket tomorrow!Yeah, stick with the job. Who knows, one day you might be the guy who gets to say NO to silly requests from employees.

hikerboy57
12-22-2011, 18:33
i first approached my boss about a year ago, and asked if I wanted to hike half the AT, would he give me 3 months off(ive been here now for 5 years), and he agreed. when I first started, I had told him thruhiking the AT was a life goal). a few months later, I told him that he shouldnt be surprised if i should call him after 3 months and tell him i need to finish. he said he was xcool with that, as long as i understood he wasnt paying me to go hiking.my plans have since changed a bit, as i alreeady posted, but maybe try working on him a little at a time, get him comfortable with the idea of just a few months, once hes committed, then maybe you can push a little harder.i know if you've been with the company, and you're a valued employee, he doesnt want to find a temporary replacement for you, so it does represent a difficult decision for him. but im not surprised he turned you down, if you just asked to take off 6 months to go hiking. im surprised he didnt refer you to a shrink.
if you hate your job, though, its a no braineras long as your family is supportive.

stranger
12-22-2011, 21:21

I don't think many people quit because they are not in shape, I think they just have no clue about long-distance hiking and what it entails, including the physical nature of the trip...but I do remember hearing once that once you reach Pearisburg, the dropout rate goes in your favour for the first time, meaning if 100 hikers reach Pearisburg, 51 will finish - but this is just hearsay. Didn't work for me, I quit in Pearisburg haha.

Sly
12-22-2011, 21:29
I don't think many people quit because they are not in shape, I think they just have no clue about long-distance hiking and what it entails, including the physical nature of the trip...but I do remember hearing once that once you reach Pearisburg, the dropout rate goes in your favour for the first time, meaning if 100 hikers reach Pearisburg, 51 will finish - but this is just hearsay. Didn't work for me, I quit in Pearisburg haha.

I don't know, it seems few if any arrive at Springer in the same shape they will be once they reach Pearisburg. Once I had my trail legs, hiking was a pleasure and not so much a burden. It makes all the difference.

10-K
12-22-2011, 21:37
Based on the NOBO figures above, 50% drop out before HF and 31% more drop out between HF and Baxter....

Giving a completion rate for NOBO's of ~15%.

So... for every 100 people that start only 15 finish. That's something to contemplate if you're thinking about upending your life to go hiking.

ChinMusic
12-22-2011, 21:40
I don't know, it seems few if any arrive at Springer in the same shape they will be once they reach Pearisburg. Once I had my trail legs, hiking was a pleasure and not so much a burden. It makes all the difference.

The stats just don't support your theory. The dropout rate for north of Pearisbug is STILL high, not really that much difference than the early part of the trail. It is only the early part of the trail that folks drop out just because they think "this sucks", whether they be in shape or not.

ChinMusic
12-22-2011, 21:41
I don't think many people quit because they are not in shape, I think they just have no clue about long-distance hiking and what it entails, including the physical nature of the trip....
this..............

10-K
12-22-2011, 21:45
The stats just don't support your theory. The dropout rate for north of Pearisbug is STILL high, not really that much difference than the early part of the trail. It is only the early part of the trail that folks drop out just because they think "this sucks", whether they be in shape or not.

Lack of money and the fact that hiking all day, every day, for weeks and weeks and weeks really isn't fun at all. Fun being defined as something you like to do that makes you happy. (Not that hiking is torture and never enjoyable or doesn't have periods of pure awe, etc. Just that it can get old, witnessed by the number of people who drop out for that reason.)

Being able to keep going when everything in you wants to stop isn't a skill a lot of people have.

My longest AT stretch was 800 miles and somewhere right before Glencliff I remember laying down next to the trail flat on my back and screaming "THIS SUCKS". And that's no joke.

hikerboy57
12-22-2011, 21:49
Based on the NOBO figures above, 50% drop out before HF and 31% more drop out between HF and Baxter....

Giving a completion rate for NOBO's of ~15%.

So... for every 100 people that start only 15 finish. That's something to contemplate if you're thinking about upending your life to go hiking.i agree.when i asked for 3 months, ive never been out for more than 3 weeks at a time, told him i didnt know that i would finish the 3 months, but if i did, i might decide i need to finish the rest of it, and he agreed to that as well.i think if i had just asked for 6 months right out of the gate, and i have no idea whether i would finish,(i dont think anyone does until they make it.), he may have said no.and now that im an expectant grandfather, ive cut it down to a month in april(GA to damascus), another in august(ME SOBO), then 3 months next year to finish.

Sly
12-22-2011, 21:52

What stats don't support my theory? If we had stats from Damacus and Pearisburg we'd be better able to tell.

Northbounders

Springer Mountain, Ga.

Neels Gap, Ga. (30 miles)
n/a

Fontana Dam, N.C. (160 miles)
N/A
N/A
n/a

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,000 miles)

Katahdin, Maine (2,100+ miles)

Completion rate:
26%
30%
28%
28%
28%
29%

People probably quit after HF because they're out of money more than anything else.

ChinMusic
12-22-2011, 22:03
Sly - Those stats tell me that the dropout rate is pretty even across most of the trail. Kinda blows away the shape/outshape theory.

10-K
12-22-2011, 22:15
I wonder why the completion rate has dropped so drastically this year - it's about 50% less than each of the last 5 years - give or take a % or 2.

ChinMusic
12-22-2011, 22:21
I wonder why the completion rate has dropped so drastically this year - it's about 50% less than each of the last 5 years - give or take a % or 2.

Hurricane Irene?

Slo-go'en
12-22-2011, 23:45
I think Chin Music hit it on the head. When Irene hit, a lot of the NOBO's were in Vermont, which was the hardest hit. No doubt a lot decided that if they couldn't finish Vermont, what was the point of going on?

I discovered a long time ago that about 2 months at a time was all I could stand to hike everyday, though I think poor eating habits was a big factor. As for those who quit after Happers Ferry, I think the heat and humidity gets to a lot of people, I know it does to me. I only hike spring and fall for long distances now. If I ever do PA/NJ/NY again, it will NOT be in the middle of summer!

Sly
12-22-2011, 23:52
Sly - Those stats tell me that the dropout rate is pretty even across most of the trail. Kinda blows away the shape/outshape theory.

Are we looking at the same stats? 50% drop out by Harpers Ferry, and I'm willing to bet the majority of those are after Trail Days with many not even making it that far. From there another 50% drop out but rather than 700 it's 300 and I guarantee it's mostly because they ran out of money, not because they were out of shape.

Have you ever hiked from Springer to Damascus or Pearisberg? Why do you think people drop out in that section? It's not because they're hiking machines.

ChinMusic
12-23-2011, 00:18
Have you ever hiked from Springer to Damascus or Pearisberg? Why do you think people drop out in that section? It's not because they're hiking machines.

Yes, in sections. Coming out of flatland Illinois EVERY time. You take it slow for a bit and then extend. It ain't brain surgery.

IMO, most of those that quit early just do not like it, in shape OR out.

Jim Adams
12-23-2011, 02:03
Just quit an go! There are other jobs out there and as pointed out earlier, the job will not think twice about quiting you. Point out you will only be gone for 6 months and that you will be a far better individual when you finish. If they are not interested in better employees then you are at a dead end job anyway...they are not looking for improvement. The trip will change your life...sometimes it will immediately improve your life and sometimes it will take a while after you get back but it will make you and your life better...your job may help you monitarily but nothing else....quality of life here.

geek

rocketsocks
12-23-2011, 07:32
Yeah I got that....I think your ready

Creek Dancer
12-23-2011, 07:48
Yeah I got that....I think your ready

Every time I see your name, my brain reads "snotrocket". I don't know why!!!

rocketsocks
12-23-2011, 07:58
He 's my brother.My other bro is poket

Creek Dancer
12-23-2011, 08:18
he 's my brother.my other bro is poket

lol!!!!!!!:d

Blue Jay
12-23-2011, 14:16
Another thing you have to take into account is the future of the economy. Will it get better or worse? Putting a LD hike off to wait for better times might just put it off forever. Running after money used to work very well, not so much anymore as the treadmill has changed perhaps forever.

hikerboy57
12-23-2011, 14:20
i know what its like to have a family to provide for, and I think the best course is to work n your boss a little at a time. as much as i agree with the live your dreams now school, what if you gave up your job, began your life dream, and bailed out after say neels gap? 5 to 6 months is a long time to be on the trail, and it takes a lot of singlemindedness of purpose,commitment and perseverance to complete a thru.

Brady
12-23-2011, 14:24
i told my job i was taking off and wasnt sure if i was even coming back to fl.. seems to have worked out for me, ive been working 2nd shift, weekends and holidays since i told em, and i got a raise! weird..

Sly
12-23-2011, 14:30
i told my job i was taking off and wasnt sure if i was even coming back to fl.. seems to have worked out for me, ive been working 2nd shift, weekends and holidays since i told em, and i got a raise! weird..

That's great.

Bank as much as you can and try not to start without at least $3,000-$4,000. That should be enough to get you to Maine without having to depend on hiker boxes and work for stay, and be able to enjoy a good meal while you're in town resupplying.

Nothing worse than having to get off the trail due to running out of money.

PS. It's also nice to have a nest egg when you're done.

Have a great hike.

hikerboy57
12-23-2011, 14:40
one of the side benefits of telling your boss you're quitting is very frequently a raise. I dont think he would have said no if you were easily replaceable.

mikec
12-23-2011, 16:45
I quit a job that I did not like a few years ago. Hiked the AT through MA, VT and NH for almost two months, got home, sent out resumes, got a job within two weeks, which I still have. I may do the same thing this year so I can finish NH and start ME. Life's too short.

Blue Jay
12-23-2011, 19:09
I quit a job that I did not like a few years ago. Hiked the AT through MA, VT and NH for almost two months, got home, sent out resumes, got a job within two weeks, which I still have. I may do the same thing this year so I can finish NH and start ME. Life's too short.

Wow, someone not spreading fear. Actually around here trade jobs, plumbing, electrical, small scale carpentry are going begging. My theory is that wages are so low, people stay on unemployment as long as possible keeping the fear mongers supplied.

Senor Jalapeno
12-23-2011, 19:37
Make hiking you Job. Problem Solved. :P

handlebar
12-23-2011, 22:58

My advice is similar to 10-K's. Take care of your family obligations and keep your job if it is a good one. Max out your 401K/403B and personal savings. Encourage your kids to find reasonably priced colleges and let them earn a good part of their college costs (teaches them responsibility). Also, take care of your body. Get and/or stay in shape. Skip lunch and go for a walk every day eating an apple, orange, or sandwich. If you're nearer to the end of your career than the beginning, you should be looking at about 4 weeks vacation. Use two for a family outing, the other two for a long backpack trip. If some or all of your kids and/or wife are up for it, take them along. You'll know whether you have what it takes for a thru hike based on that experience, and your family members will come to understand your dream and support your eventual thru-hike.

That was my plan. I started the lunch walks when I was 40 and went on multi-week adventures from 49 to 59, some with my kids and/or wife, then retired at 60. Have since hiked the AT, PCT, 3/4 of the CDT in two chunks with the last 1/4 scheduled for 2012, and the Allegheny Trail, plus numerous weekend hikes in PA and WV. I was just as vigorous last summer on the CDT---logging 20+ mile days even with the CDT's navigational challenges---as I was in the latter parts of the AT. One of the reasons to wait until you retire (hopefully early) is that it will give you incentive to get and stay in shape. Plus you will, hopefully, have a secure retirement locked in and not have to worry about returning to a job. I've had a lot of "work" since I retired, including a lot of volunteer trail maintenance, but I can't imagine going back to the 9-to-5 daily grind.

OBXWaMi
12-24-2011, 00:24
I mentioned hiking for a week at a time several times next summer to my boss. We chatted about how much fun is was going to be, I showed him my gear every time I bought another piece and he encouraged me when I said I was training. I also mentioned volunteering for a week as a counselor at the blind camp that our Lions Club supports. Boss was supportive of that too. I guess he thought I was dreaming or kidding. We talked again some time later and I asked for a week without pay at Spring Break for my first hike. He suggested I choose which week I would rather have off..the week of vacation I already have approved at the end of January to go on a cruise (my parents gave it to me for my birthday) or Spring Break. I told him I had to keep my vacation planned week since the cruise is already paid for. What he doesn't know is that now there is a count down app on my phone with the title, "Days until I give my 2 week notice". 86 days and counting (down!)

stranger
12-24-2011, 01:06

I guess what I meant is that being in shape is not a prime motivator (in my view) for either quitting early or completing the hike. Sure people start at Springer out of shape, that's fairly obvious...but I don't think that is the main motivation for people quitting. I was bored out of my mind by the time I reached Pearisburg, it wasn't due to not being able to hike 25-30 mile days. Also in 2008 I was again OK up until around Damascus, then the day to day boredom set in again, I left the trail again early at Atkins. On the 2008 hike I was pulling 18-25 mile days right from Springer, was in great shape. For me it's in my head, the physical side is fairly irrelevant. Yes some people quit cause it's physically hard, but I bet it's not more than 15-20%.

stranger
12-24-2011, 01:15

Exactly...but you focused on the upside Mike, most people are trained to focus on the downside, or risk. I'm with you, damn I'm even past quitting, I don't need to do it anymore, I now only accept fixed term jobs. It's amazing how few people focus on the upside, for example you could quit your job, hike the AT, have the best experience of your life, figure out what you want to do when you get back, enter the workforce again with enthusiasm, send out resumes, get an ever better job and have it be the best decision ever!

stranger
12-24-2011, 01:28
Another thing you have to take into account is the future of the economy. Will it get better or worse? Putting a LD hike off to wait for better times might just put it off forever. Running after money used to work very well, not so much anymore as the treadmill has changed perhaps forever.

Nothing is improving anytime soon, America is not the place it used to be, I believe the treadmill has changed forever. I think you point is best on this thread.

Datto
12-24-2011, 02:59
That's so wrong! Go Occupy Wall Street!

Occupy Palmerton.

Datto

Datto
12-24-2011, 03:27
the fact that hiking all day, every day, for weeks and weeks and weeks really isn't fun at all. Fun being defined as something you like to do that makes you happy.

My thru-hike of the AT was great fun. I was ecstatically happy on the AT. Every day brought new excitement, new things to see, new people to meet along the Trail. I can't think of a single thing I could have done that would have been a better use of my time invested to enhance my happiness.

Datto

Datto
12-24-2011, 04:00
Destination: Campsite at Summit Lake
Starting Location: Just Past Windigo Gap

Today's Miles: 11.20
Trip Miles: 2398.80

Okay, the secret to happiness is this:

Have fun, live fully, peace.

That's it. It's simple to remember. You won't find this phrase in the Bible, the Quran or any other religious document or relic. Why?

If happiness was this simple, everyone would find it and you wouldn't need organized religion anymore.

Ahhhh. But there is a catch.

Of the three parts composing the secret to happiness, success in one may lead to failure in another. It's up to you to keep that from happening.

Datto

double d
12-24-2011, 08:43
grow a sac and just quit. jobs are a dime a dozen
LW, you always crack me up with you 1 second comments, as lots of us love to hike and we love our jobs as well, maybe you don't care for either, but I wouldn't leave my job if my employer said no to the same request.

nitewalker
12-24-2011, 08:47
my family bought a campground here in connecticut back in 85. my dad was the main cog and he gave his heart and soul to the job. we paid the campground off 15 yrs after buying it. when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

life is way too short to sit around and DREAM about the perfect life. if you really want something bad enuff then maybe you should go get it. in the grand scheme of life everyone seems to think " the american dream". sure it is still out there but it is not what it used to be. most want to own a big house, why only to forclose and owe more then you went in with..college bills, why so that you can graduate and compete with millions of others for very few jobs. how many college grads do we all know that are doing something totally different than what they went to college for or have no job at all, lots.. college is not a guarantee anymore.

if you take 1 to 4 months off from work that is only a fraction of your life that you LIVE. the rest of it is work then get old and feeble like most. look at most of the older people that are still around. if they lived the american dream then why are so many older people in such financial trouble and also why do they have lots of medical issues. thats all you hear about these days. thats not an american dream. to me the american dream is to be healthy and free of major bills. keep life simple and it will be alot easier to ride...sure if your rich and well off none of this applies but how many of us are rich?

double d
12-24-2011, 08:59
Yes, in sections. Coming out of flatland Illinois EVERY time. You take it slow for a bit and then extend. It ain't brain surgery.

I think ChinMusic is hitting close to home on this issue, as many thru-hikers I've met on the AT (and LT for that matter) are during the month of July when I hike on the AT and they are in shape (regardless of age), and have a good sense of hiking miles per day, gear quality and weight, etc., but its their motivation that counts each day. From many thru-hikers I've talked to (and read their posts here) hiking long distance can get boring and expensive, so its like anything else, do you enjoy your hike? Your job/career? Are you wise with your money? So....coming from the flatlands of Illinois, by the time I'm getting my trail legs, I'm done hiking (usually about three weeks each July), so my motivation is high, but I'm not hiking for five months either. Good points on this subject.

mrclean417
12-24-2011, 09:41
when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

I wish he was here to tell you that future plans, how he was going to live it up, were just future plans. That the years he spent working the campground, growing his family and living HIS life WERE living it up. There is always another path after you get to the clearing, if there isn't you'd get there and wonder why. Asking the boss for 6 months off. Really? If you are National Gaurd OR just being recalled I would understand such a request. Maybe high paid executives. If you have a year or twos worth of money built up and no other responsibilities yes, quit and go walking. When you get back after 6 months and have a year and a halfs pay to live on, then you have plenty of time to find another job. If your carrier is at a low level where you can get a job at Wendys next week and that's fine. You can quit and go walking.

For the rest of us professionals or skilled labor, not quite as much.

Don't worry bout your dad. I go today my only regrets will be missing out what happens with my kids and grandkids tomorrow. That's going to happen one day anyways, but I'd like to catch as many as possible. I can only imagine it's the same for most of us.

mrclean417
12-24-2011, 09:56
Note:

Dang, that's two fatherly advise threads in half an hour. I need to step back and shut up again. Sorry bout that folks. However Nitewalker, from your description it sounds like he had a fulfilling life, no big regrets. It reminds me of a commercial I saw a couple years ago. An old woman is surrounded by her family, pictures of everything shes done in her life, shes telling everyone hows she has no regrets, no desires and then she sees a woman through her window getting into one of those side less bathtubs. "Damn" she says as she falls to the bed and the heart rate monitor flatlines.

It's always like that. If we'd done everything we wanted, there wouldn't be any living to do.

nitewalker
12-24-2011, 10:13
when we were closing the place down at the end of the 98 season he told me he will have the camp paid off by the yr 2000 and that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

I wish he was here to tell you that future plans, how he was going to live it up, were just future plans. That the years he spent working the campground, growing his family and living HIS life WERE living it up. There is always another path after you get to the clearing, if there isn't you'd get there and wonder why. Asking the boss for 6 months off. Really? If you are National Gaurd OR just being recalled I would understand such a request. Maybe high paid executives. If you have a year or twos worth of money built up and no other responsibilities yes, quit and go walking. When you get back after 6 months and have a year and a halfs pay to live on, then you have plenty of time to find another job. If your carrier is at a low level where you can get a job at Wendys next week and that's fine. You can quit and go walking.

For the rest of us professionals or skilled labor, not quite as much.

Don't worry bout your dad. I go today my only regrets will be missing out what happens with my kids and grandkids tomorrow. That's going to happen one day anyways, but I'd like to catch as many as possible. I can only imagine it's the same for most of us.

so true!! okay , you got me. i suppose that is why i give my heart and soul to this camp. if it wasnt for what he did i wouldnt be so comfortable in life.im not rich but i can get by with the things i have and the family and friends that are around me. so i guess my job, family and my kids are what keep me from thruhiking the AT at the present time and next few yrs." I WILL THRUHIKE THE AT IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE"....i might add that working the campground from mid march thru october gives me december thru mid march to hike.

i guess my thought process was more of what everyone would like to do and not what we should probably do. the situation each individual is in would be the determining factor for quiting the job and hiking or staying put and keep saving for the future hike...OH, WHAT WE ALL WOULD LIKE TO DO!!! HIKE!!

Sly
12-24-2011, 10:50

That's a catch all reason, "they don't like it." Why don't they like it? One reason they don't like it is because it's a serious strain on the body. People start out of shape, over weight, muscles hurt, joints hurt. Who likes that? There are lots of reasons people quit, but few people like pain.

I think ChinMusic is hitting close to home on this issue, as many thru-hikers I've met on the AT (and LT for that matter) are during the month of July when I hike on the AT and they are in shape (regardless of age), and have a good sense of hiking miles per day, gear quality and weight, etc., but its their motivation that counts each day..

If they started in March or April, of course by July they're in shape, and have been motivated to get that far along. Does it take motivation to get from NH to Katahdin, even for those that have hiked 1700 miles? Of course, but by that point they know what it takes and have hiked 4-5 months already and I doubt they're quitting because they don't like it. By that time they're more likely to quit for other reasons, miss their SO, illness at home, boredom, ran out of time, broke, injured or physically spent, etc.

There are a 100 reasons why people quit, but the real reasons are more specific then "I didn't like it."

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2011, 10:53
That's a catch all reason, "they don't like it." Why don't they like it? One reason they don't like it is because it's a serious strain on the body. People start out of shape, over weight, muscles hurt, joints hurt. Who likes that? There are lots of reasons people quit, but few people like pain.

If they started in March or April, of course by July they're in shape, and have been motivated to get that far along. Does it take motivation to get from NH to Katahdin, even for those that have hiked 1700 miles? Of course, but by that point they know what it takes and have hiked 4-5 months already and I doubt they're quitting because they don't like it. By that time they're more likely to quit for other reasons, miss their SO, illness at home, boredom, ran out of time, broke, injured or physically spent, etc.

There are a 100 reasons why people quit, but the real reasons are more specific then "I didn't like it."How about "It's no longer enjoyable"?

Sly
12-24-2011, 11:02
How about "It's no longer enjoyable"?

I guess that depends if it was ever enjoyable, and why it's no longer enjoyable.

It's no longer enjoyable because.... ?

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often" "I can't stand stinking like ****" "I started a fat slob and I'm still a fat slob"

Ther are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.

10-K
12-24-2011, 11:08
I guess that depends if it was ever enjoyable, and why it's no longer enjoyable.

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often"

Ther are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.

I think "no longer enjoyable" encompasses all of the reasons you mentioned and you don't really have to break it down past that. No fun = no fun no matter what the reason.

Just like quitting because of an injury includes any injuries... You wouldn't have a separate category for "left knee injuries", "right knee injuries", "left ankle injuries", "right ankle injuries", etc. Quitting because you're injured is all you need to know.

But, to the point - quitting is quitting regardless of the reason.

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2011, 11:09

"My feet hurt and I can no longer stand the pain." "Hot Lips left the trail and I miss her" "It's raining too dam often"

Ther are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.I think most (that do quit/stop) just get tired of hiking, camping, and living in the woods after a however many weeks. They get their fill of hiking, the wilderness experience, etc. Sure you could break it down more into wet, cold, hot, dry, uncomfortable sleeping, bugs, minor injuries . . . but for most it is likely a combination of many little things that adds up to the same major thing. They miss their "normal" life more than they are enjoying life on the trail.

wornoutboots
12-24-2011, 11:34
that he was going to start living it up. well in march of 99 my dad passed away and was never able to live it up as he had talked about that previous fall....

?

I had the wonderful opportunity to hike with 3 sobos this year for @ 50 miles, one couple told me his father worked hard forever & his lifelong dream was to Retire & buy an RV & travel all across America. He retired, bought the RV, it sat in his driveway for 2 weeks, never moved & he passed away. This couple made a promise to themselves at that very moment, they travel 5 months out of the year & do everything & anything they dream about & work the other 7months.

mrclean417
12-24-2011, 12:25
Personally, I'd like to see all the parts of the trail, maybe just some, you never know when 'more of the same' will turn into a piece of memory magic.

But to have to do it all in one pass? That means not as much to me and I've done timed events. I've done the IBA 1000/1500 ride on my motorcycle. I understand the sense of accomplishment. I also realize I jetted past places because of the time limit that I would really have preferred to spend the whole day.

If you start the trail and it's a race, then it's going to be a till something breaks or you're done thing. If it's an adventure, well, those have different mile markers.

double d
12-24-2011, 12:54

There are a 100 reasons why people quit, but the real reasons are more specific then "I didn't like it."

Sly: I think we are saying the same things, just in different context.

10-K
12-24-2011, 13:02
I had the wonderful opportunity to hike with 3 sobos this year for @ 50 miles, one couple told me his father worked hard forever & his lifelong dream was to Retire & buy an RV & travel all across America. He retired, bought the RV, it sat in his driveway for 2 weeks, never moved & he passed away. This couple made a promise to themselves at that very moment, they travel 5 months out of the year & do everything & anything they dream about & work the other 7months.

But again - these are one-off stories. I know people who worked hard to retire early and now travel all over the place and never have to worry about money, etc. for the rest of their lives.

I'm sure glad I worked my butt off for 20 years so I can check into my office in Wilmington from my Lazy-Boy here in Erwin and can hike pretty much whenever I want to at 50 years old.

Here's a story..... My inlaws raised 8 children, my father-in-law worked until he was 65 and retired, they sold their house and bought an airstream and hit the road until they got too old to drive. Sold the airstream and bought a little retirement home in Sarasota and lived out their lives in peace. I can never remember hearing my MiL or FiL voice a single regret for the choices they made.

Actually, I think my FiL may have been 63-64.... I'm not exactly sure how old he was when he retired but he was in his early 60's.....

max patch
12-24-2011, 13:21
Can't win this argument on this site, 10-K.

Someone could have the cushiest job in the world, making 6 figures a year, brand new babies at home, and the consensus of this site would be to quit the job, put the babies in 6 month day care, and go hike for 6 months.

Family obligations come first, a kick-azz vacation is way down on the list.

Grinder
12-24-2011, 13:29
I have to opine here.

When you marry and bring children into this world, you do,in fact and in law, give up quite a bit of freedom.

When you do get around to hiking, you will find many of your compatriots are either:
1. just out of school and single
2. recently retired or nearly so with children grown and a fairly understanding, supportive spouse.

There is a reason for this.

My personal decisionwould be to section hike until I could break cleanly, with earned benefits intact.

hikerboy57
12-24-2011, 13:37
when my kids were younger, i never, ever would have thought to take off 6 months to go anywhere without them. so I introduced them to the places i love, and took them on day hikes. my older daughter still loves hiking, the younger, not so much.but as a father i would take spending time with my kids way, way ahead of a 6 month vacation, even a life goal.as a father, what could possibly be more important?

10-K
12-24-2011, 13:38

CaptChaos
12-24-2011, 13:49

Rwood- "The Workload Excuse", jobs are not entitlements. I would have to tell one of my employees the same thing, I hired you to work not keep your job open while you take 6 mo off and then the temp I hired that is doing a great job has to be let go because you need your job back.

Face it Dude, you signed up for life so deal with it. Give up a job, benefits, healthcare and leave your family while you go through md-life. Let me know when you plan this so we can get the word out so that someone who needs to support his family can apply for your position.

We all dream but you have to know where the line is in reality. Finish your career and when you are done and the kids are away from home then do it. Like it was said before, the AT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

And just so you know. This is my plan when I'm done with work.

CaptChaos

10-K
12-24-2011, 13:57
I hoped I'd find it... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72353-Giving-up-job-for-at&highlight=Nean

Same thread subject, pretty much the same people involved saying the same thing then as now - very predictable.

Since the above thread was posted everyone in my family has had a dental cleaning..

It's little things like this that make living a certain lifestyle appealing. It's not just about going hiking or not.

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 14:29
There are a 100 reason why it may no longer be enjoyable.

Yet, you seem to have no problem labeling "shape" as a "major reason" in the south (NOBO). I know it is just based on your gut feeling because you have nothing else. The numbers certainly do not support you. There are LOADS of journals with folks that struggled with the hills early on, that went on to finish.

Granted being in-shape in better than being out of shape. There is no argument there.

Sly
12-24-2011, 14:31
Face it Dude, you signed up for life so deal with it.

LOL... I doubt he did that. I doubt anyone has done that. How many here have been fired or let go? Why should a employee be that loyal to their employer?

hikerboy57
12-24-2011, 14:34
i think hes talking about the fathr job, not the other.

Sly
12-24-2011, 14:38
Yet, you seem to have no problem labeling "shape" as a "major reason" in the south (NOBO). I know it is just based on your gut feeling because you have nothing else. The numbers certainly do not support you. There are LOADS of journals with folks that struggled with the hills early on, that went on to finish.

Granted being in-shape in better than being out of shape. There is no argument there.

LOl.. yeah, I gave specific opinions as to why most people quit in the early going and other reasons why they may quit after. Nearly eveyone struggles early. Those that are persistant, hike 4-8 weeks and get in shape, stick it out.

You come up with a catch all. Why not just say "they quit because", it's about a good of answer as they don't like it.

Can't you get any more specific?

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 14:41
Can't you get any more specific? No, because you don't have the experience.

Sly - YOU are the one that came up with specific reasons (shape), NOT ME.

I have no specific reasons.

Sly
12-24-2011, 14:46
Sly - YOU are the one that came up with specific reasons (shape), NOT ME.

I have no specific reasons.

Yeah, right I gave specific reasons, with failure to get in shape enough to be enjoyable number 1. There are other reasons of course but unless you can come up with something better, maybe you should accept my opinion.

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 14:51
There are other reasons of course but unless you can come up with something better, maybe you should accept my opinion.
Do you REALLY believe that line of "logic"?

I think that is how some religions started.

jerseydave
12-24-2011, 15:32
Since you said you were sure that they could get by without you for the entire 6 months the only thing you can do is "wean" them from you slowly...... start by calling in sick one day a week for 2 or 3 weeks..... then take 2 days in the same week, the next week show up everyday, but do next to nothing....... then the next week do nothing at all...... a couple weeks later try taking every other day off, AND if you can work that out with a week that happens to have a Holiday in it all the better. Just slowly work your way up to not coming in at all........ who knows, eventually, maybe they won't even notice that you've been gone for 6 months.... OR you will have been fired and have absolutely no excuse NOT to go hiking!

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 15:41
Since you said you were sure that they could get by without you for the entire 6 months the only thing you can do is "wean" them from you slowly...... start by calling in sick one day a week for 2 or 3 weeks..... then take 2 days in the same week, the next week show up everyday, but do next to nothing....... then the next week do nothing at all...... a couple weeks later try taking every other day off, AND if you can work that out with a week that happens to have a Holiday in it all the better. Just slowly work your way up to not coming in at all........ who knows, eventually, maybe they won't even notice that you've been gone for 6 months.... OR you will have been fired and have absolutely no excuse NOT to go hiking!

We can do "blue font" on WhiteBlaze, right?

CaptChaos
12-24-2011, 16:54
LOL... I doubt he did that. I doubt anyone has done that. How many here have been fired or let go? Why should a employee be that loyal to their employer?

Sly - sorry, I'm talking about getting married, children, home,etc. not the job. Even my position can be outsourced in a Ny min.

CaptChaos

CaptChaos
12-24-2011, 16:55
i think hes talking about the fathr job, not the other.

Hiker boy - thank you. I just did not say it well.

CaptChaos

Highpointbound
12-24-2011, 17:57
I asked for a LOA, was denied, so I quit my job to thru hike.

No way in he11 I'd do that in todays economy. Especially with family dependent on my income.

And this right here is the point. In today's economy, i think you are NUTS if you do that. If you work at Walmart as a cashier..maybe. But if you have a good CAREER with senority and good benefits, you are out of your mind to quit. AND..will you try to find work AFTER your hike? If so, explain to a potential boss how you quit your other job after so many years just to go hike in the woods. Im sure he would see you as a great candidate to hire. (note the sarcasm)

Highpointbound
12-24-2011, 18:09
Wow, someone not spreading fear. Actually around here trade jobs, plumbing, electrical, small scale carpentry are going begging. My theory is that wages are so low, people stay on unemployment as long as possible keeping the fear mongers supplied.

It's not fear, its just simple common sense! I didnt read all the posts, so i dont know if this guy said where he works. Is he prepared to quit,..right now....and NEVER work again? Meaning, are all his debts paid off, next egg all set, retirement money all set, college funds all set, fool around money all set? Can pay for his own medical insurance? If he is just all set money wise and doesnt need to work again, then yeah..quit. but if he still has bills, things he wants to do, and also is hoping to work again, i think its nuts to leave a good job with benefits. I find it downright irresponsible. Like i said, if its Walmart or something, maybe. But good jobs are hind to come by now. The trail isnt going anywhere.

Highpointbound
12-24-2011, 18:10
meant to say hard to come by..

10-K
12-24-2011, 20:12
What if my 16 year old son wanted to quit high school to go hike the AT - should I let him because thousands of teenagers die or become disabled every year?

Point being, just because something might happen doesn't mean that something is going to happen - in fact, most things people worry about never happen at all.

Of course, someone wins the lottery so theoretically anything is possible but it helps to understand probability.

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2011, 20:15
10-K, You're confusing the issue with facts. ;)

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 20:21
I never thought that way until this thread, but I would have to think twice before hiring a former thru for a key position.
And I plan on being a "former thru" after 2013.

10-K
12-24-2011, 20:26
I never thought that way until this thread, but I would have to think twice before hiring a former thru for a key position.
And I plan on being a "former thru" after 2013.

I think you could tell pretty quick which kind of former thru hiker you were dealing with.

ChinMusic
12-24-2011, 20:31
I think you could tell pretty quick which kind of former thru hiker you were dealing with.
That's true.

dudeijuststarted
12-24-2011, 20:51
Yeah its just a job. I quit a perfectly good one in the DC area so I could move to Florida and sit on the beach doing nothing for a few months. I didn't work for 9 months and got another job paying much more with a lower cost of living (my point is, you'll be fine...follow your dream.)

neighbor dave
12-25-2011, 09:52
live your life on YOUR terms, not someone elses

Del Q
12-25-2011, 21:14
Tough one. Would say defer (has risks, the AT is tough, with age the challenge gets tougher on the body) or go and change jobs, or reapply at the same place when you get back.

I am currently a section hiker, if I could retire, slow down and hike a lot more I would. For now, two, 2-week hikes per year works in my schedule and with work & family.

CaptChaos
12-25-2011, 23:08
What if my 16 year old son wanted to quit high school to go hike the AT - should I let him because thousands of teenagers die or become disabled every year?

Point being, just because something might happen doesn't mean that something is going to happen - in fact, most things people worry about never happen at all.

Of course, someone wins the lottery so theoretically anything is possible but it helps to understand probability.

10-k:

Hell yes , let him go. I would have covered my son's expenses if he had wanted to do the AT. He did not make any plans and now he is 25 and he wishes that he could have done the AT now.

I did not know about the AT growing up. I did not start hiking until I was 40. I wish I could do the AT but it will have to wait now for retirement. Most likely I will do sections until my knees give out or my health.

It is what it is.

CaptChaos

Jim Adams
12-25-2011, 23:55

I would hire a successful thru hiker EVERYTIME before another applicant. A successful thru hike shows resolve, independent and open thinking, will power, dedication, ability to keep going and succeed under adverse conditions, desire and responsible decision making.
To me the applicant that hasn't attempted ANYTHING like a thru at some point in their life exhibits the tendency to just get by.

geek

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 00:03
I would hire a successful thru hiker EVERYTIME before another applicant. A successful thru hike shows resolve, independent and open thinking, will power, dedication, ability to keep going and succeed under adverse conditions, desire and responsible decision making.
To me the applicant that hasn't attempted ANYTHING like a thru at some point in their life exhibits the tendency to just get by.

geek

Many also seem to look to leave in spring. Again, I said for key position, a position were I will have a lot invested in them.

Jim Adams
12-26-2011, 00:11
....... The trail isnt going anywhere.

...and neither is your life!
Go hike and make a better life for you and your family when you get back. People are telling you that not quiting your job is "common sense"...that's like saying that not getting an education is common sense. The trail will open up your life to so many more possibilities for living, alternative lifestyles and what is truely important for you and your family. If the family is behind you then go and don't look back...there is far too much to look ahead to in the future.
A hiking friend of mine, Girl Next Door recieved a gift from a friend once with an engraved saying on it and I have never forgotten that saying as it pertains to all people on this earth not just her.
" A WELL BEHAVED WOMAN RARELY MAKES HISTORY".

geek

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 00:12

geekAll that is great, but the most important thing is that they can't use having car trouble as an excuse not to come in. If they can walk from GA to ME they damn well can walk to work if the car is broke.

Seriously though, I can't give a thru-hike completely positive consideration as an accomplishment. How much should I give it? Definitely not as much as an academic degree. And not as much as solid work experience and proven dependability. Why? Because the dedication and desire and resolve shown by a thru-hike is offset by legitimate concerns that the person will go off and leave on a similar adventure in the future. Many thru-hikers are free-spirits, and free-spirits just aren't reliable employees. I'm not going to invest time and money training and advancing an employee and having my business and other employees relying on them when they just may decide to go trekking in Nepal all next spring, or decide they simply must add the PCT to their hiking resume. That's the cold, hard reality of how most business people / owners are going to see thru-hikers or any other adventure seeking type personality. Would I absolutely refuse to hire them? No. But I'd never put / promote them in a key position or consider them for much more than casual or entry-level work as I might have to replace them on short notice.

Jim Adams
12-26-2011, 00:15
Many also seem to look to leave in spring. Again, I said for key position, a position were I will have a lot invested in them.

I would still hire the thru hiker...if you really think that they are the person for the position and they turn out to enjoy that job as being the right person for the position then they won't be leaving in the spring.
Obviously the OP isn't the perfect person for his position or he wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

geek

Jim Adams
12-26-2011, 00:18
All that is great, but the most important thing is that they can't use having car trouble as an excuse not to come in. If they can walk from GA to ME they damn well can walk to work if the car is broke.

Seriously though, I can't give a thru-hike completely positive consideration as an accomplishment. How much should I give it? Definitely not as much as an academic degree. And not as much as solid work experience and proven dependability. Why? Because the dedication and desire and resolve shown by a thru-hike is offset by legitimate concerns that the person will go off and leave on a similar adventure in the future. Many thru-hikers are free-spirits, and free-spirits just aren't reliable employees. I'm not going to invest time and money training and advancing an employee and having my business and other employees relying on them when they just may decide to go trekking in Nepal all next spring, or decide they simply must add the PCT to their hiking resume. That's the cold, hard reality of how most business people / owners are going to see thru-hikers or any other adventure seeking type personality. Would I absolutely refuse to hire them? No. But I'd never put / promote them in a key position or consider them for much more than casual or entry-level work as I might have to replace them on short notice.

...no, but you would probably lay them off or eliminate their position on short notice!...sounds alot like "not in my back yard" going on here.

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 00:37
All that is great, but the most important thing is that they can't use having car trouble as an excuse not to come in. If they can walk from GA to ME they damn well can walk to work if the car is broke.

This
Look, I'm an aspiring thru-hiker. I have many thrus as friends. I like these guys, but as buzzard said "that's the cold, hard reality of how most business people / owners are going to see thru-hikers or any other adventure seeking type personality". I also agree with 10K that it would all show up in the interview. If I read on the resume that they quit a good job to hike a thru, I'm gonna worry that they are going to do that to me too.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Life is full of choices.

Jim Adams
12-26-2011, 00:41
I am a business owner, I hire and fire people all the time...have for years...send me thru hikers instead of lame sheep!

geek

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 00:54
I am a business owner, I hire and fire people all the time...have for years...send me thru hikers instead of lame sheep!

geekJim, just because someone isn't a thru-hiker, or any kind of hiker, doesn't mean they are lame sheep. Nor does being a thru-hiker make one not a lame sheep. There are plenty of thru-hikers that are just a bunch of bums that want nothing more than to work as little as possible, collect unemployment, hike on the dole, and/or live on the fringe all their lives - people with no motivation to succeed in the working world whatsoever.

There are a lot of other life accomplishments that far surpass thru-hiking the AT, like education, raising a family, community and military service, etc. I honestly don't think thru-hikers bring anything special to the job market. Sticking it out when the going gets tough and completing things (aka doing one's job) is simply what millions of working people do everyday. Thru-hikers are nothing special.

MJW155
12-26-2011, 01:01
I'm with the camp saying to quit. No job is so important that you are the only person that can do the job. Think about it. If Obama was killed at 11:02 AM tomorrow, Biden would be President at 11:03.

Besides, it sounds like you have a strong resume. If you worked at your job for the past 5 or 10 years, a prospective employer would understand that you took 6 months off to chase the dream of a lifetime and it could actually help your chances of getting a job.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 01:33
... If you worked at your job for the past 5 or 10 years, a prospective employer would understand that you took 6 months off to chase the dream of a lifetime and it could actually help your chances of getting a job.Um, no, not exactly.

A prospective employer would understand that you made a decision to quit your job to thru-hike. They would also ask if you requested a leave of absence from your prior job in order to do this. You would then explain that your employer would not grant a leave, so you simply quit. You would then have to explain how your personal life required that you have 6 months in a row off work and that your personal desires were more important than your employer's reasonable needs, and that you couldn't come to any workable compromise or agreement on how to fit your personal hiking life in with your employment.

As one of the inescapable rules of human behavior is that "past performance/behavior is the best predictor of future performance behavior", the prospective employer would then wonder if you would do the same thing to them at some point down the road. They would also wonder about what your priorities in life are, your ability to balance career and personal life, your ability to compromise and negotiate, and a host of other things. Most would then likely put your resume in the big pile. That is how it plays out in pretty much every H-R office in the real world.

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 01:44
There are plenty of thru-hikers that are just a bunch of bums that want nothing more than to work as little as possible, collect unemployment, hike on the dole, and/or live on the fringe all their lives - people with no motivation to succeed in the working world whatsoever.

Agree, but there are plenty, many of who post here, that fall into the "good employee camp", at least from what I can tell on here.

I have no problem with the quit/hike/repeat lifestyle. I just won't knowingly hire them for a key position.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 01:56
Agree, but there are plenty, many of who post here, that fall into the "good employee camp", at least from what I can tell on here.Absolutely. Thru-hikers come from all walks of life - Supreme Court Justices right on down to criminals and everybody in between.
I have no problem with the quit/hike/repeat lifestyle. I just won't knowingly hire them for a key position.I agree - it's their life. They can choose to live it as they see fit. But they also have to live with the consequences. Given the current economy / job market, employers have their pick. Given the choice between someone who quit their job 6 months ago to go hike and someone who got laid off two weeks ago and wants to find a new job asap employers will hire the latter almost every time. Businesses are very risk adversive right now, and it continues right through to the hiring process.

MJW155
12-26-2011, 02:09
Um, no, not exactly.

A prospective employer would understand that you made a decision to quit your job to thru-hike. They would also ask if you requested a leave of absence from your prior job in order to do this. You would then explain that your employer would not grant a leave, so you simply quit. You would then have to explain how your personal life required that you have 6 months in a row off work and that your personal desires were more important than your employer's reasonable needs, and that you couldn't come to any workable compromise or agreement on how to fit your personal hiking life in with your employment.

As one of the inescapable rules of human behavior is that "past performance/behavior is the best predictor of future performance behavior", the prospective employer would then wonder if you would do the same thing to them at some point down the road. They would also wonder about what your priorities in life are, your ability to balance career and personal life, your ability to compromise and negotiate, and a host of other things. Most would then likely put your resume in the big pile. That is how it plays out in pretty much every H-R office in the real world.

Potential employers cannot call previous employers and ask why you left. The only thing they can do is verify that you worked there. So even if you didn't feel comfortable saying you went backpacking for 6 months, you can say you left your job b/c of family problems or whatever.

It's all moot anyway because if you are trying to get a job through traditional means like applying or sending a resume, you are already behind the 8 ball. Connections through social media are you best bets for finding a job.

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 02:16
I agree - it's their life. They can choose to live it as they see fit. But they also have to live with the consequences. Given the current economy / job market, employers have their pick. Given the choice between someone who quit their job 6 months ago to go hike and someone who got laid off two weeks ago and wants to find a new job asap employers will hire the latter almost every time. Businesses are very risk adversive right now, and it continues right through to the hiring process.

Funny thing is, I soon might fall into the category I wouldn't hire for a key position. Luckily I am the boss.....lol
I plan on thru-hiking the AT in 2013. If that goes well the PCT and CDT are penciled in. I'm passing up 6-figures with each hike. Unlike the OP, I waited til my family obligations were fulfilled. The loss of income has much less affect now that I am an empty-nester. For me the trail is worth more to me than the money. Most of my friends cannot understand this at all. Folks on this site probably will.

MJW155
12-26-2011, 02:25
Funny thing is, I soon might fall into the category I wouldn't hire for a key position. Luckily I am the boss.....lol

I'd much rather hire a guy that tells me the truth and lets me know he's going to be gone for 6 months over someone that just pretends to want the job and then goes through the motions once they have the job.

I hired a guy a year ago that told me he never worked because he made money playing poker while lying in bed and had to find a job b/c of the ban in the US. He's now a district manager. He applied for 20 jobs before I hired him.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 02:26
Funny thing is, I soon might fall into the category I wouldn't hire for a key position. Luckily I am the boss.....lolIt's good to be king.

nitewalker
12-26-2011, 08:55
10-K, You're confusing the issue with facts. ;)

thats because he is well off and cant see from the other side of life........some people struggle all their life just to get by. some people have office jobs, some people have sports jobs, some people have mill jobs and some people have retaurant jobs and so on.. if your at the top of the chain its one thing but if your near the bottom well thats totally different...i guess if i were well of like 10-k i would think like that but in reality most people struggle in life, thats a fact......so depending where you are at on the life cycle of job and family is a deciding factor. family should come before the job and hiking. now if the family will be fine witout u for 6 mths then go hike. when u get back you can find another mill job or restarant job. they are a dime a dozen. now if your like 10-k who obviously had or has a kush job then you mite want to stay put and finish it out. not all people have a kush job that excites them...

10-K
12-26-2011, 09:10
What I've been doing the last 24 years is being a husband, raising 3 children, and deciding I'd rather work for myself than someone else, starting a business, and focusing my attention in that direction. Before I started my company I worked as a marketing rep for $23k per year. Aside from that, being a person in recovery you can imagine I might have some "employability issues"... prior to getting sober in 1985.

Anyway, I haven't done anything special that millions of other Americans haven't done.

Whenever you go to a small business or a locally owned store or whatever, the odds are very great the owner didn't putz around on the AT when he/she was starting their business.

I wasn't born well off and I didn't get well off quitting jobs to go on a walking vacation. Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I'm not "filthy stinking rich" but my hard work has paid off enough for me to semi-retire and move to Erwin when I was 49 - one of the major factors involved in that is having no debt.

So, it's about priorities. If you want to hike instead of work, knock yourself out. Advising people who are late in their career with long term employment and benefits and a family with children coming on college age to chuck it all to go hiking on the AT *now* instead of waiting a few years is really just ... well.. stupid.

mudhead
12-26-2011, 09:16
You might be "filthy" if you didn't have a small Golite showroom in the back of the house.:)

10-K
12-26-2011, 09:19
You might be "filthy" if you didn't have a small Golite showroom in the back of the house.:)

It's actually in the root cellar - where my wife seldom goes... :)

mudhead
12-26-2011, 09:22
Clever. Do you leave a dead mouse in a trap near the door?

10-K
12-26-2011, 09:48
Clever. Do you leave a dead mouse in a trap near the door?

No, but that's a great idea!

max patch
12-26-2011, 09:51
So, it's about priorities. If you want to hike instead of work, knock yourself out. Advising people who are late in their career with long term employment and benefits and a family with children coming on college age to chuck it all to go hiking on the AT *now* instead of waiting a few years is really just ... well.. stupid.

Exactly

Rwood
12-26-2011, 10:44
Wow! Thanks for all the honest and insightful responses! I have no intentions of quitting my job. Family always comes 1st (food, shelter, security, safety, education, ....). Just getting another job is not practical either. I know too many people out of a job for 2 yrs +. I'm not chasing the almighty $, but need to cover all the basis. If I were 20 yrs old, heck yea - I would quit!!! I respect my bosses decision (don't agree with it, as I've covered the workload for others who have taken extended leave for different reasons, and he had plenty of notice, bla, bla, bla), but that's his job. I'll continue to plan 1 wk hikes w/the guys until I retire, then do the AT thru hike. Plus, after all my recent conditioning, I'm in great physical shape! Happy hiking.

10-K
12-26-2011, 11:01
Wait.... you mean you're going to hike AND take care of your family?

Even though you might die or become disabled at any second and spend the rest of your days lamenting that you didn't get to hike from trail town to trail town every 3-4 days for 6 months?

What a novel concept!

p.s. Good for you. Section hiking is as or even more rewarding than thru hiking for many/most and if you ever are in a position to hike for 6 months in a row the AT will still be there.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 14:24
thats because he is well off and cant see from the other side of life........some people struggle all their life just to get by. some people have office jobs, some people have sports jobs, some people have mill jobs and some people have retaurant jobs and so on.. if your at the top of the chain its one thing but if your near the bottom well thats totally different...i guess if i were well of like 10-k i would think like that but in reality most people struggle in life, thats a fact......so depending where you are at on the life cycle of job and family is a deciding factor. family should come before the job and hiking. now if the family will be fine witout u for 6 mths then go hike. when u get back you can find another mill job or restarant job. they are a dime a dozen. now if your like 10-k who obviously had or has a kush job then you mite want to stay put and finish it out. not all people have a kush job that excites them...

People without family responsibilities can pretty much take off hiking whenever they want provided they have enough $$$ to buy food and supplies regardless of job, income, net worth, etc. No big deal.

But I fail to see how being less well off, when one has family responsibilities (aka children) creates any greater freedom. If someone is struggling to support a family, I don't see how taking 6 months off is going to make the situation better or different or anything but worse, as the income sacrificed is lost forever. A thru-hike is going to cost about $4000 for the hiker themselves. If the hiker only had a $10.00 an hour job, the real cost of a 6 month thru-hike is the lost wages of $10,000 + the difference in the daily expenses of thru-hiking vs continuing working (and I'll grant that normal food plus commuting expenses if the person didn't hike will factor into the difference). However that works out, that $10,000+ is gone forever, and most struggling people with family responsibilities probably shouldn't be taking $10,000+ vacations.

As to "kush" jobs, most people with so-called good paying "kush" jobs (and most kush jobs aren't really kushy, they are just not physically demanding) or those with some accumulated wealth that I have met worked their butts off in some combination of education and hard work to accumulate whatever wealth they have. Does some good luck help? Sure. But 99% of the time luck isn't the deciding factor. Hard work is.

Malto
12-26-2011, 16:26
"Wow! Thanks for all the honest and insightful responses! I have no intentions of quitting my job. Family always comes 1st (food, shelter, security, safety, education, ....). Just getting another job is not practical either. I know too many people out of a job for 2 yrs +. I'm not chasing the almighty $, but need to cover all the basis. If I were 20 yrs old, heck yea - I would quit!!! I respect my bosses decision (don't agree with it, as I've covered the workload for others who have taken extended leave for different reasons, and he had plenty of notice, bla, bla, bla), but that's his job. I'll continue to plan 1 wk hikes w/the guys until I retire, then do the AT thru hike. Plus, after all my recent conditioning, I'm in great physical shape! Happy hiking."

I'm not sure I would give up on a thru just yet. You could always employ the current corporate buzz-phase...... "What would need to be true for me to be able to hike?" Maybe you already went through this but could a shorter trip work, is next summer just a bad time etc. There is a huge grey area between taking 5 months off next summer and nothing.

Del Q
12-26-2011, 21:37
Affording and be able to take 6 months off to do whatever can leave people at home with a HEAVY LOAD to handle, spouses, kids, business partners, etc. I haven't ever taken 5-6 months off, would be really weird. If my wife made trips to/from the trail(s) and home / business life was OK that could work well.

double d
12-27-2011, 00:31
So many great comments are being made, but taking six months off to hike is expensive, due to lost wages and of course the expense of hiking. Also, I would find it hard to be away from my family for so long, but again, that is me. I would say this, if one has children under 18 years of age, it would be very hard to agree with someone leaving that family unit to hike, and I think of the book written by AWOL, who I believe at age 40 did leave his job, wife and family to hike (his wife was very supportive of him). Maybe one should ask "why" they are so passionate about hiking for six months that they are willing to leave their existing life behind (that is why so many young people and just retired people thru-hike, they have the combination of time and age on their side, so its a great time to invest in a thru-hike), but many don't have that benefit, so section hiking is fun and we get a good slice of our heaven for a few weeks each year.

Sly
12-27-2011, 00:40
. I would say this, if one has children under 18 years of age, it would be very hard to agree with someone leaving that family unit to hike...

Of course a single parent household isn't ideal, but god forbid a kid have one of their parents pass away.

On the other hand, they could get the kids excited about their hike. Give them a map, and have them chart to trail, send them photos, have them visit, even have them hike a few days. The parent could visit the school when they got near home. If they had a Spot locator they could virtually watch the hike. There's lots of ways to turn it into a positive absence and experience.

Jim Adams
12-27-2011, 13:54
I am 1/3 owner in my own business and yes it does take alot of work to get to and maintain that successfully. Yes, I have a family and raised my children although I am divorced now. There are tons of out of work "bums" out there but 99% of them are not or weren't thru hikers...they are just lazy. If you are an applicant and have a successful thru hike on your record then I will look a little harder at employing you...that is my feelings as an employer...you have proven that you can succeed with something. OTOH, if you apply and tell me thaat you have worked 15 years in the same position without MAJOR promotion within that employment then IMO you are just another lazy employee that has no view of the future and just happened to arrive to work on time long enough to not be fired...AKA lame sheep! A completed thru hike shows incentive to succeed and in a competetive business that is important.
Yes, hiking for 6 months will cost you $4000 and lost wages but you can't stay home for 6 months for $4000. If the family income is enough for them to survive the 6 months w/o problems, and you have their support then why not go. I agree, the trail means alot more to me than the money....so does living life instead of getting by.

geek

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2011, 14:24
... There are tons of out of work "bums" out there but 99% of them are not or weren't thru hikers...they are just lazy. If you are an applicant and have a successful thru hike on your record then I will look a little harder at employing you...that is my feelings as an employer...you have proven that you can succeed with something. OTOH, if you apply and tell me thaat you have worked 15 years in the same position without MAJOR promotion within that employment then IMO you are just another lazy employee that has no view of the future and just happened to arrive to work on time long enough to not be fired...AKA lame sheep!So, all of the people out there who have worked in the same job for years, like electricians, plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, mail carriers, nurses, teachers, waitresses, truck drivers - the list is too long to continue - are all nothing but a bunch of lame sheep because they stayed in the same job? Somehow I don't think you really mean that - I hope not anyway.

A completed thru hike shows incentive to succeed and in a competetive business that is important.
Yes, hiking for 6 months will cost you $4000 and lost wages but you can't stay home for 6 months for $4000. If the family income is enough for them to survive the 6 months w/o problems, and you have their support then why not go. I agree, the trail means alot more to me than the money....so does living life instead of getting by.

geekWages lost is income lost forever, and there is no way in this scenario (given that the family, home, and all the rest is still being maintained) that one can live cheaper on the trail than simply staying at home. The cost of staying home on one's butt is simply food, which is less than buying food and all the town expenses on the trail. The rest are all fixed costs that will be incurred whether the person is on the trail or at home. If people have enough to do it, and a job or work to return to, fine. They can afford it. But I call BS on the notion that someone who is barely making ends meet supporting a family, can with any degree of responsibility, choose to take off 6 months and go hiking. I certainly wouldn't want to hire people that make irresponsible decisions such as that.

nitewalker
12-27-2011, 14:40
I'm with the camp saying to quit. No job is so important that you are the only person that can do the job. Think about it. If Obama was killed at 11:02 AM tomorrow, Biden would be President at 11:03.

Besides, it sounds like you have a strong resume. If you worked at your job for the past 5 or 10 years, a prospective employer would understand that you took 6 months off to chase the dream of a lifetime and it could actually help your chances of getting a job.

now that sounds about rite...

max patch
12-27-2011, 16:12

Thats a reason to "stay" not to "leave". A bazillion people can walk right in and do your job. And in todays economy your desk isn't going to be empty for long.

Besides, it sounds like you have a strong resume. If you worked at your job for the past 5 or 10 years, a prospective employer would understandthat you took 6 months off to chase the dream of a lifetime and it could actually help your chances of getting a job.

Yeah, 1 out of 100 employers can relate to that and give you an advantage. The other 99 will think you're a slacker.

Hoofit
12-27-2011, 19:10
it's almost better to be out of work and feel more freedom to go on a hike without having to suck the bos's lollipop..
Just a couple of grand and some good preparation will take you a long way on the trail
Do it if you can, who knows if you will be physically able down the road
If you have the support of your family, that's a big plus
Best of luck,see you on the trail...

ChinMusic
12-27-2011, 19:15
it's almost better to be out of work and feel more freedom to go on a hike without having to suck the bos's lollipop..

Hey 10K - This is the stuff I was talkin' about showing up at the interview............;)

MJW155
12-27-2011, 19:48
Thats a reason to "stay" not to "leave". A bazillion people can walk right in and do your job. And in todays economy your desk isn't going to be empty for long.

Yeah, 1 out of 100 employers can relate to that and give you an advantage. The other 99 will think you're a slacker.

I know it's not for everyone. I'm just not a slave to the grind. I never was and I'll never be that way. There is more to life than working 40 hours a week for 40 years. To each his own, but IMO, I'd quit and go on the hike. Again, that's me and I understand others are not like that.

Hoofit
12-28-2011, 07:43
Ok, that was a bit over the top Chinman, you're right, but it is always a drag to see someone have to be denied such an incredible adventure - I'm thinking try for three months and take it from there.
You might try contacting some other, more open-minded employers before you leave and seeing what they say, what do you have to lose/
Don't just give up ...

Chaco Taco
12-28-2011, 08:10
Im reading Jan Liteshoe's book about the LT and she was in a similar situation. Id try for a shorter hike. But don't ever give up on a dream. It will happen when its supposed to happen.

StealthHikerBoy
12-28-2011, 15:27
I’d like to take the perspective of the boss for a moment. I’ve supervised people for about 20 years and currently own a 10-person company.

I can’t think of a single employee I have had in all that time that I would have agreed to a 6-month absence for. If an employee came to me today with that request, I would be thinking that what they are really asking is for the other 9 of us to take up the slack and work harder so they can take 6 months off to follow a dream. That isn’t fair to the others that work here. However, if it was a really good employee, I would tell them I will be trying to hire and replace them or shift responsibilities around to replace them. If their job is still unfilled in 6 months, I would welcome them back, and, if we have a need for an employee down the line they would be the first person I would call.

Now, if I was scanning resumes and someone listed an AT through hike as an accomplishment, it would be a plus in some situations and a negative in another. If someone did it, say, right out of college or at a time of transition, like a long term unemployment, I’d view it positively. If someone quit a job mid-career, I’d be apt to wonder if this person was going to do the same thing to me down the line. If they were qualified for the job I might interview them, but that is what I’d be looking for: are they going to bail on me whenever the next “dream” comes up?

I disagree that “no job is worth it” over hiking. Many jobs probably aren’t worth it, but some certainly are. I think a lot of people paint jobs with too broad a brush – I have had “corporate” jobs that I couldn’t wait to get to in the morning. If you feel you are a slave to the grind, I think you just haven't found the right grind.

But, I’d say that all commitments to your kids trump the dream to hike. I myself would love to toss it all aside and go this year (and to be honest, I think my wife and kids would support me and I can swing it financially), but I can’t imagine not being around for my kids that long. I guess I am risking never getting to thru hike, but I’d regret not being around for 6 months of my sons’ lives much more than not thru hiking. So, to me the job is a fairly compelling reason for the original poster not to go, but the kids make it not even something I'd seriously consider. I have some potential of pulling off the thru down the line, but zero chance of getting the time back with my kids.

And, it isn’t an all or nothing thing either … I still get in many short hikes each year, some with my kids, and get to dream about a future through hike for a long time.

hikerboy57
12-28-2011, 15:46
I’d like to take the perspective of the boss for a moment. I’ve supervised people for about 20 years and currently own a 10-person company.

I can’t think of a single employee I have had in all that time that I would have agreed to a 6-month absence for. If an employee came to me today with that request, I would be thinking that what they are really asking is for the other 9 of us to take up the slack and work harder so they can take 6 months off to follow a dream. That isn’t fair to the others that work here. However, if it was a really good employee, I would tell them I will be trying to hire and replace them or shift responsibilities around to replace them. If their job is still unfilled in 6 months, I would welcome them back, and, if we have a need for an employee down the line they would be the first person I would call.

Now, if I was scanning resumes and someone listed an AT through hike as an accomplishment, it would be a plus in some situations and a negative in another. If someone did it, say, right out of college or at a time of transition, like a long term unemployment, I’d view it positively. If someone quit a job mid-career, I’d be apt to wonder if this person was going to do the same thing to me down the line. If they were qualified for the job I might interview them, but that is what I’d be looking for: are they going to bail on me whenever the next “dream” comes up?

I disagree that “no job is worth it” over hiking. Many jobs probably aren’t worth it, but some certainly are. I think a lot of people paint jobs with too broad a brush – I have had “corporate” jobs that I couldn’t wait to get to in the morning. If you feel you are a slave to the grind, I think you just haven't found the right grind.

But, I’d say that all commitments to your kids trump the dream to hike. I myself would love to toss it all aside and go this year (and to be honest, I think my wife and kids would support me and I can swing it financially), but I can’t imagine not being around for my kids that long. I guess I am risking never getting to thru hike, but I’d regret not being around for 6 months of my sons’ lives much more than not thru hiking. So, to me the job is a fairly compelling reason for the original poster not to go, but the kids make it not even something I'd seriously consider. I have some potential of pulling off the thru down the line, but zero chance of getting the time back with my kids.

And, it isn’t an all or nothing thing either … I still get in many short hikes each year, some with my kids, and get to dream about a future through hike for a long time.
very well put!!

Nean
12-28-2011, 16:13
We live in a free world but that doesn't set us free. Many more of us have obligations, commitments, responsibilities that we have traded our freedom for.

It is a very fortunate person who can have it all, but for most of us- often freedom has its cost.
Freedom aint free.

If I were you, based on as little as I know about you, I'd stick to shorter trips and bring the kids.
Thru-hiking is a wonderful experience but there are others that I would hope are worth more.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-28-2011, 16:17
belly up if you want to do it do it dont let someone else screw with your dream

atraildreamer
12-29-2011, 18:19

You should have asked for the time off WITH pay! After he regained conciousness, he probably would have agreed to the time off without pay!

hikerboy57
12-29-2011, 18:43
We live in a free world but that doesn't set us free. Many more of us have obligations, commitments, responsibilities that we have traded our freedom for.

It is a very fortunate person who can have it all, but for most of us- often freedom has its cost.
Freedom aint free.

If I were you, based on as little as I know about you, I'd stick to shorter trips and bring the kids.
Thru-hiking is a wonderful experience but there are others that I would hope are worth more.
sometimes this is just a matter of perspective. you can be free with your kids too. the time you spend with your children doesnt take away from your time, it is your time as well.if you've found life work you enjoy getting paid to do, why leave. its more a matter of your priorities, not really freedom.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 19:00

Freedom aint free.

sometimes this is just a matter of perspective. you can be free with your kids too. the time you spend with your children doesnt take away from your time, it is your time as well.if you've found life work you enjoy getting paid to do, why leave. its more a matter of your priorities, not really freedom.

As my buddy Voltaire noted, "man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains". There is no such thing as absolute freedom in life. Never has been, never will be - except in death.

10-K
12-29-2011, 19:59
As my buddy Voltaire noted, "man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains". There is no such thing as absolute freedom in life. Never has been, never will be - except in death.

Are you sure it wasn't your other buddy, Rousseau? :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 20:03
Are you sure it wasn't your other buddy, Rousseau? :)
Duh. :o Yeah, you're right, it was my other drinking pal.

hikerboy57
12-29-2011, 20:25
but voltaire did say "this is the best of all possible worlds!"

Del Q
12-29-2011, 20:51
If an employee came to me and asked for 6 months off to thru hike the AT, I would say OK ............. as long as I could go with them

Guessing that your "boss" is not a hker, what I would want to know is how would the work, duties, responsibilities would be covered for that period of time...and be assured that you would shave and clean-up before coming back for your 1st day of work.

prain4u
12-29-2011, 21:19
I sympathize with the original poster. For three years, I had planned an April 2012 start date for my own thru hike. However, it is very unlikely that I will start a thru hike at anytime in the foreseeable future. Family responsibilities--and the current economy--have made starting a thru hike a greater risk than I am willing to take.

I have two teenagers with special needs (a visually impaired daughter and a severely autistic son). My wife has given her permission/blessing for me to go on a thru hike. We could probably find ways to afford it financially. The biggest problem is HEALTH INSURANCE--especially after the thru hike is completed.

If I quit my two jobs, I could legally keep our (employer sponsored) health insurance benefits in place for the next 12-18 months (but only if we paid outrageously high insurance premiums). However, after the thru hike, if I did not get a job with health insurance benefits within a few months after the thru hike ended--my family would be without health insurance benefits. We often have HUGE medical expenses ($40,000 surgery for our daughter this past July). In the current economy, available jobs in our area (with health insurance benefits) are VERY rare. Many people have been out of work for 2+ years. Thus, there is a very real possibility that I could not find a job with health insurance--prior to the time my health benefits expired.

I am not willing to risk bankruptcy (or the possibility that my family members would not have their necessary health care)--just so I could fulfill my dream of a thru hike. I don't believe that my kids should pay the price for me pursing my dreams.

On the flip side, my own father put off pursuing his numerous dreams until "after retirement". Sadly, he had a massive heart attack and died--just two weeks prior to beginning early retirement. Thus, I saw firsthand what happens when you put off pursuing your dreams. I would rather not follow the same path (of delayed dreams) which my father pursued.

When it comes to deciding whether (or not) a person should quit their job and go on a thru hike, there is no "one right answer". There is no "one size fits all". A person needs to decide what is best FOR THEM and what is best for THOSE WHOM THEY LOVE.

In short, you have to "Hike Your Own Hike".

That is why it is very unlikely that I will begin my thru hike in April 2012--even though it breaks my heart to delay the dream. I am choosing to do what is best for my wife and kids.

hikerboy57
12-29-2011, 21:25
i wonder if you consider your father a success or a failure for postponing his "dreams" while raising a family.what ive found is my burning desire for thruhiking ther AT that i had when i was 19 years old, transformed itself into different goals and "dreams" as I got older.I never considered getting married until i met my wife. i certainly never considered raising a family. i was busy living the james dean life of "live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse." But as I grew older, I found the world doesnt revolve around me, and I found more satisfaction in giving the most i had to give, rather than "getting the most life has to offer'". In time it became one and the same.

10-K
12-29-2011, 21:37
.....my dad was a complicated man. It would have been good for everyone if he HAD left for 6 months.

hikerboy57
12-29-2011, 21:47
when i was a kid, my dad was superman, couldnt do any wrong, took me to ball games, took me on his road trips when he had to travel for work. when i became a teenager, i coudnt help but notice how stupifd he was getting, and we saw eye to eye on very little. as i got into the real world, couldnt understand that he seemed to be just content with never really doing much for himself, sacrificing his own wants and needs, struugling to support his family, thinking of him sometimes as a "loser" that he didnt have more personal ambition in chasing some of his own dreams.My dads still alive and some 54+years later, i know he had it right all along. what truly gave him the most satisfaction was knowing he was there for us. and he always was.at 84 yrs of age, hes still my superman, my best example of what a father should be, and i am forever grateful for the time he spent with us, for us.
on another note, if you can find your passion in life, and find a way to get paid for doing it, well a thru hike may or may not be on the short list.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2011, 22:03
I just have to point out the obvious.. If you die suddenly you don't know you didn't get to pursue your dreams. You're dead.
You just gave me a Steven Wright flashback:
"A bus and a train collided at a mountainous railroad crossing. It was a horrible crash. Everyone died. . . . but the good thing is they died instantly. (pause) Um, EVERYBODY dies instantly. You're alive...you're alive...you're alive...you're dead. (pause) beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee _________________________________ bus...train...bus...train"

Blissful
12-29-2011, 22:08
If you want it you need to quit you job. Quitting a job is a skill, not many people have it, and it needs to be developed. Everyone wants to think they are in a unique situation and for some reason they can't possibly quit. I've learned you can do anything you want in this world, you simply have to understand the consequences and accept them. You only live once.

You know I am really surprised at this day in age with the job scene tough and the economy barely improving that people are advocating just quitting a good solid job to go hike. Esp as everyone says hiking the AT is just a "vacation". Would you quit a job to sail the Rhine?

Blissful
12-29-2011, 22:12
Ok, that was a bit over the top Chinman, you're right, but it is always a drag to see someone have to be denied such an incredible adventure - .

One is not "denying an adventure" - one is being proactive, smart in an questionable economy and considering the future and waiting for the right timing. I waited 30 years.

And there is always section hiking. We are having a good time lifting up the adventure of a section hike on our Facebook group.

prain4u
12-30-2011, 00:22
i wonder if you consider your father a success or a failure for postponing his "dreams" while raising a family.what ive found is my burning desire for thruhiking ther AT that i had when i was 19 years old, transformed itself into different goals and "dreams" as I got older.I never considered getting married until i met my wife. i certainly never considered raising a family. i was busy living the james dean life of "live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse." But as I grew older, I found the world doesnt revolve around me, and I found more satisfaction in giving the most i had to give, rather than "getting the most life has to offer'". In time it became one and the same.

In regard to pursuing his dreams, I consider my father neither a "success" nor a "failure". I simply find it unfortunate that he erroneously seemed to think that he could/should put off doing enjoyable things "until retirement". It never seemed to dawn on him that he might not make it to his retirement years. He spent so much time putting off fun, enjoyment, and personal accomplishments "until retirement"--that he often failed to enjoy the present. That is what I do not wish to repeat. I don't want to put off everything enjoyable until retirement. Dad missed out on a great deal of enjoyment while waiting for retirement to arrive.

For dad, it was basically a depression-era work ethic thing. Having "fun" during your productive working years was viewed as being frivolous. You were supposed to put in your hours at the factory--then come home and do more work on the house and yard. Dad received 5-7 weeks of vacation annually and spent most of his vacations doing chores and projects around the house. I cannot think of a single vacation when he spent the bulk of the vacation week "relaxing" and "doing nothing". (That is probably one reason why he died at age 59).

By contrast, I turned age 50 in November. We are not wealthy, but my wife insisted on sending me to London and Paris for my birthday. She said, "Even if we have to borrow the money (which we didn't have to do)--you need to travel and see the world. Don't put it off. You never know if you will be too ill (or too dead) to make such a trip somewhere down the road". So, I listened to my wife and I went to London and Paris. My dad would have delayed the trip "until retirement"--even if he had the time and money now.

For me, it is a matter of achieving a balance between "work and play"--finding that proper balance between being "selfLESS" and "selfISH". I don't think that my dad even knew that he had a choice. He devoted virtually all of his time to working and caring for his family. He missed a great deal of joy and relaxation in the process.

Datto
12-30-2011, 02:01
My statistics (that I've gathered weekly and graphed for years) indicate certain segments of the economy are picking up speed. For instance, in the line of work I do, the number of job openings across the country is currently 50% higher than it was at the peak prior to the start of the Great Recession.

Here's a quick test for an prospective thru-hiker to determine whether it's better to keep the existing job and wait for a future year or whether it might be okay to proceed ahead with their thru-hike in 2012:

Question 1: Do you currently have at least $10,000 of readily available cash (in a checking account, savings account or money market account)? If Yes, proceed to the next question. If No, consider keeping your existing job and waiting for a future year to give the economy a chance to get going so your financial risk is reduced.

Question 2: Do you have kids that are not yet teenagers? If No, proceed to the next question. If Yes, you might want to wait and help your kids grow a little before being gone for six months.

Question 3: Are you over Age 50? If No, proceed to the next question. If yes you should realize there is rampant age discrimination in the marketplace right now and your chances to land a new job after your thru-hike are significantly diminished compared to someone who is 35 years of age in the same field, even with less skills.

Question 4: Are you currently in college? If No then proceed to the next question. If Yes, consider staying where you're at and completing your Bachelor's degree before starting your thru-hike of the AT.

Question 5: Is your career choice directly dependent upon the construction industry or the real estate industry (such as carpenter, realtor, furniture salesperson, architect)? If No, proceed to the next question. If Yes, consider keeping your existing job and waiting for a future year to give the economy a chance to get going so your financial risk is reduced.

Question 6: Do you currently have a Bachelor's degree? If yes, proceed to the next question. If no, consider keeping your existing job (or getting your Bachelor's degree) and waiting for a future year to start your AT thru-hike to give the economy a chance to get going so your financial risk is reduced.

Question 7: Is your chosen career in a typically high demand field such as Enginering, parts of Information Technology or Healthcare and do you have statistics that show your current career choice is a high demand field? If Yes, proceed to the next question. If no, consider keeping your existing job and waiting for a future year to give the economy a chance to get going so your financial risk is reduced.

Question 8: In the career you've chosen that is in more demand than most -- are those skills you've acquired in that field widely useful in the marketplace rather than only useful to your existing employer? If Yes, proceed to the next question. If no consider waiting for a future year to give the economy a chance to get going in order to reduce your financial risk.

Question 9: Are you currently married and your spouse is not going with you on your AT thru-hike? If No and you're not married, proceed to the next question. If Yes and you're married and your spouse is not going with you on the AT, then you should realize that you leaving a spouse behind will likely cause friction in your marriage and you might want to wait until a future year so you can get your relationship ready for your AT thru-hike.

Question 10: Have you backpacked overnight (not camped out with a car and a keg) at least three times in the last six months when it was raining/snowing? If Yes and you've gotten to this point in the quesitonnaire you may be ready to take the risk.

Datto

10-K
12-30-2011, 08:25
Not bad Datto. The only thing I might consider would be to change "batchelors degree" with "masters degree"

In 2012 a BA/BS is the equivalent of having a high school diploma in 1980.

hikerboy57
12-30-2011, 08:38
In regard to pursuing his dreams, I consider my father neither a "success" nor a "failure". I simply find it unfortunate that he erroneously seemed to think that he could/should put off doing enjoyable things "until retirement". It never seemed to dawn on him that he might not make it to his retirement years. He spent so much time putting off fun, enjoyment, and personal accomplishments "until retirement"--that he often failed to enjoy the present. That is what I do not wish to repeat. I don't want to put off everything enjoyable until retirement. Dad missed out on a great deal of enjoyment while waiting for retirement to arrive.

For dad, it was basically a depression-era work ethic thing. Having "fun" during your productive working years was viewed as being frivolous. You were supposed to put in your hours at the factory--then come home and do more work on the house and yard. Dad received 5-7 weeks of vacation annually and spent most of his vacations doing chores and projects around the house. I cannot think of a single vacation when he spent the bulk of the vacation week "relaxing" and "doing nothing". (That is probably one reason why he died at age 59).

By contrast, I turned age 50 in November. We are not wealthy, but my wife insisted on sending me to London and Paris for my birthday. She said, "Even if we have to borrow the money (which we didn't have to do)--you need to travel and see the world. Don't put it off. You never know if you will be too ill (or too dead) to make such a trip somewhere down the road". So, I listened to my wife and I went to London and Paris. My dad would have delayed the trip "until retirement"--even if he had the time and money now.

For me, it is a matter of achieving a balance between "work and play"--finding that proper balance between being "selfLESS" and "selfISH". I don't think that my dad even knew that he had a choice. He devoted virtually all of his time to working and caring for his family. He missed a great deal of joy and relaxation in the process.What im trying to point out is that to him, supporting his family gave him more enjoyment and pleasure than looking after his own desires, otherwise he would have pursued those desires.i agree there needs to be balance in ones life and you need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your family. Ive been able to find that balance section hiking. a thru is still on the bucket list, but should i die without realizing that goal, I wont die disappointed.as 10k said, i wont feel much at all.I definitely agree you shouldnt have to put off enjoying life until after retirement, but instead enjoy the ride- all of it. the downs as well as the ups. its the challenges in life that force us to grow. enjoy the ride, the whole ride. at some point the ride ends.and youve got it right-learn to enjoy the moment, thats all life is, a series of moments.

10-K
12-30-2011, 08:46
but instead enjoy the ride- all of it. the downs as well as the ups. its the challenges in life that force us to grow. enjoy the ride, the whole ride. at some point the ride ends.and youve got it right-learn to enjoy the moment, thats all life is, a series of moments.

This is an excellent point. If you've lived an entire life up to retirement and have never enjoyed yourself your personality is probably not going to change because you retire.

I've only been seriously hiking for 5-6 years but I had a pretty full life up till then - except for about 8 years that were lost in a fog - but even so - recovery has even turned that into something I don't regret.

chief
12-30-2011, 16:10
In the scheme of things, potential regret for delaying (even never) a thru-hike seems pretty trivial to me. We all get to choose our regrets (or not). If you're bound and determined to live your latter years with regret, why not pick something more meaningful?

MJW155
12-30-2011, 20:56
Not bad Datto. The only thing I might consider would be to change "batchelors degree" with "masters degree"

In 2012 a BA/BS is the equivalent of having a high school diploma in 1980.

So wait. Unless the OP has a masters he shouldn't take time off to chase a dream because he might not have a job when he's finished?

Man no wonder so many Americans have become a bunch of wusses. Geez. You only live once people. I've worked in hospice for over 2 years and never once did I hear someone on their deathbed wishing they worked harder. We work to live, not live to work.

Blue Jay
12-30-2011, 21:02
Advising people who are late in their career with long term employment and benefits and a family with children coming on college age to chuck it all to go hiking on the AT *now* instead of waiting a few years is really just ... well.. stupid.

I wish I had said something. You could tell early on you were going to resort to name calling. I will say advising people to fear is not stupid but extremely common and why people live in quiet desperation.

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2011, 21:23
...why people live in quiet desperation.A thought originally witten by a man born into priviledge, a man who in Hawthorne's words, "repudiated all regular modes of getting a living", neither married nor had children, and lived his entire life predominantly in other people's homes. Thoreau was a thought provoking essayist - but he would have made a lousy parent or provider. In my experience, those most contemptuous of a life that requires earning money in order to pay bills, support a family, etc, are people who either don't have family responsibilities or are born into priviledge.

10-K
12-30-2011, 21:36
I wish I had said something. You could tell early on you were going to resort to name calling. I will say advising people to fear is not stupid but extremely common and why people live in quiet desperation.

If you'll read closely you'll see I didn't call anyone stupid. I said giving someone obviously bad advice is stupid. And it is.

Also, I think you're confusing fear with responsibility. I can't find anywhere I was advising people to fear.

But I'm big on responsibility.

10-K
12-30-2011, 21:42
So wait. Unless the OP has a masters he shouldn't take time off to chase a dream because he might not have a job when he's finished?

Man no wonder so many Americans have become a bunch of wusses. Geez. You only live once people. I've worked in hospice for over 2 years and never once did I hear someone on their deathbed wishing they worked harder. We work to live, not live to work.

There are a lot of black and white thinkers participating in this thread. Did I say unless the OP had a master's he shouldn't take off to chase a dream.

I'll help you: No I didn't say that.

What I said was that he shouldn't leave his family which includes children of college age and a career RIGHT NOW to go hike the AT for 6 months when he could wait a few years and get his obligations out of the way.

The prevailing wisdom is that the guy should drop it all right now because he could DROP DEAD at any moment without realizing his dream.

What does that say about people planning to hike the AT next year and the year after that? No one ever advises them to forget their plans and hike right NOW because they might drop dead any second.

Geesh....

10-K
12-30-2011, 21:48
I've worked in hospice for over 2 years and never once did I hear someone on their deathbed wishing they worked harder. We work to live, not live to work.

Let me ask you... Have you ever heard anyone say they wished they'd hiked the AT while they were on their deathbed? I seriously doubt it.

Have you ever heard anyone say they wished they'd treated their family better, showed their love more, etc.? Odds are better you've heard this one.

(I have some hospice experience myself.......)

Transient Being
12-30-2011, 21:52
I decided the hell with it, I'm gonna at least attempt a thru-hike this year. I've been working since I was 13 and although my job has been very flexible, I rarely get more than a whole week off at a time....mainly my own choice. I've always been the type to enjoy myself for a few days, but then it's time to get back to work. This philosophy has served me quite well materialistically, but at the expense of my precious time and joy. I have a desire to explore this world instead of sit behind a desk. I feel like every week, I'm stuffing that desire down and swallowing the reality that I "have to work", because "that's just how it is" and reassure myself with the "fact" that "alot of people would love to have my job" Well, I'm slowly starting to realize that the job I've had is making me miserable, and I really don't like it no matter how much money I make at it. It is so unfulfilling and boring. Sitting at a desk when I could be out in the wild, sucking in the fresh mountain air, drinking water out of a mountain stream, heart pounding in my chest....in a word....living. Instead of merely existing. I can handle my job, but I feel like I need a release from the never ending cycle of work, sleep, pay bills, work some more, go to Wal-Mart, sleep, work some more, sleep, work....I think I just haven't found the right job for ME. Maybe a thru-hike will help me out with that. I don't have any kids and recently got divorced, so prime time for me. If anybody needs some good help come September, let me know.

10-K
12-30-2011, 21:56
Maybe a thru-hike will help me out with that. I don't have any kids and recently got divorced, so prime time for me. If anybody needs some good help come September, let me know.

I hope you have a great hike!

Lone Wolf
12-30-2011, 22:00
I decided the hell with it, I'm gonna at least attempt a thru-hike this year. I've been working since I was 13 and although my job has been very flexible, I rarely get more than a whole week off at a time....mainly my own choice. I've always been the type to enjoy myself for a few days, but then it's time to get back to work. This philosophy has served me quite well materialistically, but at the expense of my precious time and joy. I have a desire to explore this world instead of sit behind a desk. I feel like every week, I'm stuffing that desire down and swallowing the reality that I "have to work", because "that's just how it is" and reassure myself with the "fact" that "alot of people would love to have my job" Well, I'm slowly starting to realize that the job I've had is making me miserable, and I really don't like it no matter how much money I make at it. It is so unfulfilling and boring. Sitting at a desk when I could be out in the wild, sucking in the fresh mountain air, drinking water out of a mountain stream, heart pounding in my chest....in a word....living. Instead of merely existing. I can handle my job, but I feel like I need a release from the never ending cycle of work, sleep, pay bills, work some more, go to Wal-Mart, sleep, work some more, sleep, work....I think I just haven't found the right job for ME. Maybe a thru-hike will help me out with that. I don't have any kids and recently got divorced, so prime time for me. If anybody needs some good help come September, let me know.http://www.activistpost.com/2011/11/top-5-regrets-of-dying.html

mikec
12-30-2011, 22:07
If you have a burning desire to hike the AT I say go for it. Life's too short. You can always get a job afterwards. As far as getting a masters degree before you take off to hike the AT, I thought that way myself. But I recently got a masters degree and have started applying for better jobs. Now I am facing either wanting too much money or being overqualified. I'm still employed but I am getting the itch to quit this spring and try and knock off the rest of NH and ME. At least I can then accomplish my remaining goal.

10-K
12-30-2011, 22:22
There seems to be a massive disconnect in this thread.

The question is not : "Is it always (as in 100% of the time) wrong to push the pause button on my life and chase a dream?"

The answer to that is obviously no..... There ARE times when putting everything down to do something you really want to do trumps everything else.

The question is: "Is there ever a time when chasing a dream should be postponed while I finish something else I've already started?"

The answer to this is obviously yes. There are times when "We" comes before "Me".

Datto
12-31-2011, 00:58
Ialthough my job has been very flexible, I rarely get more than a whole week off at a time....mainly my own choice. I've always been the type to enjoy myself for a few days, but then it's time to get back to work. This philosophy has served me quite well materialistically, but at the expense of my precious time and joy. I have a desire to explore this world instead of sit behind a desk.

Wow, you have described my life in 1998 (I consider the 1990's my "Lost Decade"). Somewhere along time during that year I'd decided to actively change course and become much more proactive about what direction I would go and what I would choose to do with my life.

What a fantastic rich choice that has been for me over the course of the last thirteen years.

Datto

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 08:17
it seems to me the disconnect here is primarily associated with age.the younger you are, the less "responsibility " you have, the more "freedom " you have to pursue your indulgent "dream". Ive come to learn that its not the guy with the most toys that wins, its more about what you contribute to your fellow man. My own dreams and goals have changed , actually more "evolved" as Ive grown older. lets face it, a thru hike is one of the ultimate self indulgant excersises that contributes nothing to society other than hopefully leaving you a better person upon completion. most thru hikers know they could never have completed their thru hikes alone, rather, know the help they've gotten from both angels along the way, and encouragement from their fellow hikers, and so ultimately come to understand no man is an island. leave a family and job to chase an indulgence? lifes about finding balance, mentally, financially, physically and spiritually. i need to balance my needs with those of my family, but ive also come to learn that these are not exclusive of each other, rather they are one and the same.

10-K
12-31-2011, 08:28
No, the disconnect is exactly what I said.

The inability to realize that there is a time and place for everything and sometimes when a person wants to do something for themselves they have to do a reality check and see if it's possible.

The only reason anyone has put forward for why the OP should not wait a few years to hike is because he might die before then.

That's just so bizarre and totally crazy that I don't even know where to start.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 08:55
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/11/top-5-regrets-of-dying.htmlTop 5 Regrets of The Dying (http://www.activistpost.com/2011/11/top-5-regrets-of-dying.html)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5kGqChCgieU/TtYwD-cheiI/AAAAAAAAM7s/AVpnJDeO1l0/s200/Happy_Old_Man.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5kGqChCgieU/TtYwD-cheiI/AAAAAAAAM7s/AVpnJDeO1l0/s1600/Happy_Old_Man.jpg)

Wiki image

Bronnie Ware
Inspiration and Chai (http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html)

For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives.

People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality. I learnt never to underestimate someone's capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.

When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn't work so hard.

This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_qLAIskTQXUc/TVxr-0JN6GI/AAAAAAAAGzk/Cz6x6i3F0dk/seedbank150x200.jpg (http://activistpost.net/survivalseedbank.html)

Non GMO Heirloom Seedbank (http://activistpost.net/survivalseedbank.html)

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.

When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 09:21
these are great thoughts, but how many of those said they should have left their families and a good paying job to go hiking for 6 months.Happiness is, indeed, a lifestyle choice, and one of the things that attracts me to backpacking has been a feeling of self sufficiency, along with a constantly growing realization of how little one needs to find happiness.No one should ever feel a slave to their jobs or their lifestyle, but it takes the a lot of effort in todays consumerist society to ignore the chaff, and lead a simple life.and sometimes you dont realize how miserable you are until you're lying there waiting to die. I came to this realization when I got divorced. I was a stockbroker, and hated every minute of my working day. after my divorce i realized should i die tomorrow, ill die unhappy. that morning i quit my job, with no prospect for employment and alimony and child support to pay.i took a couple of sales jobs that didnt pay well, got arrested for DUI and quit drinking(still sober) and learned that every day counts. it eventually worked out , but it took me several years to recover form my abrupt resignation.its difficult to follow your bliss when you have a family to support.the first step happens when you realize you're miserable. the next is when you decide to do something about it.life is too short, but you still need to balance your needs along with your loved ones'.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 09:29
" with no prospect for employment and alimony and child support to pay" Man, you sound like every other deadbeat dad in America. Self indulgent, screw the kids. Let welfare pay the bill. The number one cause of screwed up kids everywhere. I hope you are happy.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 09:34
" with no prospect for employment and alimony and child support to pay" Man, you sound like every other deadbeat dad in America. Self indulgent, screw the kids. Let welfare pay the bill. The number one cause of screwed up kids everywhere. I hope you are happy.

did you actually read his post and comprehend it. it says nothing about falling behind on support and becoming your socalled deadbeat dad.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 09:38
NITEWALKER - I think that's exactly what he said. Low pay jobs and DUI. He should have kept the job he hated and paid for his kids.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2011, 09:49

Wow! Thanks for all the honest and insightful responses! I have no intentions of quitting my job. Family always comes 1st (food, shelter, security, safety, education, ....). Just getting another job is not practical either. I know too many people out of a job for 2 yrs +. I'm not chasing the almighty $, but need to cover all the basis. If I were 20 yrs old, heck yea - I would quit!!! I respect my bosses decision (don't agree with it, as I've covered the workload for others who have taken extended leave for different reasons, and he had plenty of notice, bla, bla, bla), but that's his job. I'll continue to plan 1 wk hikes w/the guys until I retire, then do the AT thru hike. Plus, after all my recent conditioning, I'm in great physical shape! Happy hiking.

WOW, what's up with the attraction to this thread:confused: The OP got his answer on the first page and then reiterated his thanks for everyone' input on post 169, yet you'll keep going on and on and on......:confused:

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 09:54
NITEWALKER - I think that's exactly what he said. Low pay jobs and DUI. He should have kept the job he hated and paid for his kids.

i suppose it could mean he fell behind with support and alimony but he doesnt say it exactly. he had other jobs that didnt work out . you assume he fell behind. all he says is it took a few years to recover...i pay support and at one point the state was sending me letters saying they were going to arrest me and have my license suspended. i checked into it and found that the state was improperly distributing my money. i had two accounts and one of them had 2100$ extra in the account and the other account was 800$ behind. i said to the state agent that i have a surplus of 1300$ inthe system. i said just redisrtibute the money. state says they cant because it just gets sent to whomever. there was nothing i could do except pay extra every month till the 800 was caught up. it took two yrs but once i caught up i stoped payint till the 1300 was chewed up. i was never really behind but the fu#$%ng state always sent me their threatening letters....that child support BS gets me everytime...........

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 09:56
WOW, what's up with the attraction to this thread:confused: The OP got his answer on the first page and then reiterated his thanks for everyone' input on post 169, yet you'll keep going on and on and on......:confused:

i was wodering the same but like you say it just keeps going on....u just added one more post to the mess.....lol

10-K
12-31-2011, 10:02

It's the internet!! :)

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 10:03
okay, ive never fallen behind in child support or alimony, Ive never shirked my responsibilities as a father, ive always put my family s needs ahead of my own personal wants and desires and eventually they beacme the same.Nothing gives me more satisfaction than being there for my family., and if you've read any of my posts, you would have read that ive just postponed my 3 month section hike to take care of family.My point was I was fortunate enough to be able to leave a job i weas unhappy with, knowing i needed to support my family, but still finding the courage to change my life. THATS what my post ws about. in the same post i pointed out a thru hike is completely self indulgant. by the way, the DUI was a life changing moment for me as well, and ive been sober for 15 years.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 10:08
You have my admiration and my apology.

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 10:18
You have my admiration and my apology.no worries. im done.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 10:25
You have my admiration and my apology.

at least your man enuff to apologize. gotta give u props on that. i recently made an apology to 10-k for one of my posts making it sound like i was attacking him, i really wasnt. the internet leaves alot of room for misunderstanding some of the posts we make. we are all hear to discuss topics and have fun...happy hiking to all.....

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 10:26
okay, ive never fallen behind in child support or alimony, Ive never shirked my responsibilities as a father, ive always put my family s needs ahead of my own personal wants and desires and eventually they beacme the same.Nothing gives me more satisfaction than being there for my family., and if you've read any of my posts, you would have read that ive just postponed my 3 month section hike to take care of family.My point was I was fortunate enough to be able to leave a job i weas unhappy with, knowing i needed to support my family, but still finding the courage to change my life. THATS what my post ws about. in the same post i pointed out a thru hike is completely self indulgant. by the way, the DUI was a life changing moment for me as well, and ive been sober for 15 years.

i hear ya. my dui back in 86 set me somewhat strait.....

slims
12-31-2011, 10:30
WOW, what's up with the attraction to this thread:confused: The OP got his answer on the first page and then reiterated his thanks for everyone' input on post 169, yet you'll keep going on and on and on......:confused:Don't complain, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the banter. I've found it quite entertaining. :D

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 10:34
Don't complain, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the banter. I've found it quite entertaining. :D

over 5000 views. someone is finding it entertaining........................im out...

hikerboy57
12-31-2011, 10:39
john s just trying to figure out how to get a word in here about composting.:rolleyes:

max patch
12-31-2011, 11:48
Typical question: Hi! I'm a single mom with 3 children all under 5 years old. I'm unemployed, but am able to get by with food stamps, welfare, and unemployment. I have no family in the area, and my ex has disappeared 3 months ago when we found out I was pregnant again. Needless to say, no support check from him! I'm at my wits end and saw a tv show on PBS last week about the Appalachian Trail. I went hiking once and really liked it! So now I want to do a thru hike!!! And last nite I hit the Pic 4 Lotto and have $5,000!!! What should I do?

Typical WBer answer: With $5,000 you can buy your gear and have enough money left over to do your hike. Since you are 3 months pregnant you should plan on finishing your hike in 5 months...this is totally doable if you don't spend a lot of time in town! Thru hiking is the most important thing you can do in your life and you need to start putting yourself first! If you don't hike you may die during childbirth and will regret it forever!! Winning the Lotto is a sign from above that you need to hike!

10-K
12-31-2011, 12:44
Typical question: Hi! I'm a single mom with 3 children all under 5 years old. I'm unemployed, but am able to get by with food stamps, welfare, and unemployment. I have no family in the area, and my ex has disappeared 3 months ago when we found out I was pregnant again. Needless to say, no support check from him! I'm at my wits end and saw a tv show on PBS last week about the Appalachian Trail. I went hiking once and really liked it! So now I want to do a thru hike!!! And last nite I hit the Pic 4 Lotto and have $5,000!!! What should I do?

Typical WBer answer: With $5,000 you can buy your gear and have enough money left over to do your hike. Since you are 3 months pregnant you should plan on finishing your hike in 5 months...this is totally doable if you don't spend a lot of time in town! Thru hiking is the most important thing you can do in your life and you need to start putting yourself first! If you don't hike you may die during childbirth and will regret it forever!! Winning the Lotto is a sign from above that you need to hike!

Frame this... It should be a sticky...

10-K
12-31-2011, 12:49
I'm just going to keep posting this over and over.....

The question is not : "Is it always (as in 100% of the time) wrong to push the pause button on my life and chase a dream?"

The answer to that is obviously no..... There ARE times when putting everything down to do something you really want to do trumps everything else.

The question is: "Is there ever a time when chasing a dream should be postponed while I finish something else I've already started?"

The answer to this is obviously yes. There are times when "We" comes before "Me".

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 13:10

The sad thing is we actually had a woman a year or two back posting here, with links to her x-rated blog, that pretty much fit your subject's profile. Reality frightens me sometimes.

bamboo bob
12-31-2011, 13:30
I may have said this before. So shoot me. I have had a Grandchild, kids, a wife, (wives actually) houses, a nasty long career. I love backpacking and have done a ton of it. But I don't consider doing the AT to be the most biggest awsomest thing I have ever done. It did not turn my life around, make me more spiritual, or make me one with the forest. There's quite a few people on WB who have done everything I've done plus a lot more including fighting wars and saving lives. If I was twenty-two I might consider it life changing but only because I haven't lived much at that point. I think people should take care of business before going off on adventures.

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 13:53
I may have said this before. So shoot me. I have had a Grandchild, kids, a wife, (wives actually) houses, a nasty long career. I love backpacking and have done a ton of it. But I don't consider doing the AT to be the most biggest awsomest thing I have ever done. It did not turn my life around, make me more spiritual, or make me one with the forest. There's quite a few people on WB who have done everything I've done plus a lot more including fighting wars and saving lives. If I was twenty-two I might consider it life changing but only because I haven't lived much at that point. I think people should take care of business before going off on adventures.

now thats great thinking!! i would hope to feel that way when i complete my thruhike...

Malto
12-31-2011, 15:47
I'm just going to keep posting this over and over.....

Why would you keep posting YOUR question when the OP clearly articulated his question and received a satisfactory answer. You took the OP's question and twisted into your own based on your own set of beliefs. While I agree with some of your logic, it is certainly miuch more of a black and white answer than it needs to be.

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2011, 16:36
Why would you keep posting YOUR question when the OP clearly articulated his question and received a satisfactory answer. You took the OP's question and twisted into your own based on your own set of beliefs. While I agree with some of your logic, it is certainly miuch more of a black and white answer than it needs to be.Thread drift. Why worry about it?

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 16:38
Bump, lol.....

Transient Being
12-31-2011, 19:47
To the OP, I think you miss-heard him. He said "YO!"

10-K
12-31-2011, 20:17
The sad thing is we actually had a woman a year or two back posting here, with links to her x-rated blog, that pretty much fit your subject's profile. Reality frightens me sometimes.

I remember that - her daughter read her blog but she didn't mind and they went on a shakedown hike and were almost raped and killed or something.....