PDA

View Full Version : Maps to borrow?

HockeyGirl
12-22-2011, 10:59
Hello

I have recently had a kind offer of the possible loan of the AT maps needed for my attempted thru hike in March next year.
These maps are from 2007 and I have been told that I can use them provided they be returned after and pay for postage of maps from and to owner. Seems completely fair and generous to me.

I was just wondering before I accept (if he hasn't loaned them already!) if anyone could confirm that there won't be much difference between a 2007 map and 2011 that I may as well use them?

Or if a more up to date set would be more appropriate is there anyone who would be willing to offer me the same terms?

Thanks for the help as always :)

Pedaling Fool
12-22-2011, 11:21
Maps are not like guidebooks - they're not updated annually. When he says, "These maps are from 2007", probably meaning that he purchased them in 2007, but that's not the print date. Also maps, from the ATC map set, are not uniformly updated, when I purchased my mapset from the ATC in late 2005 many of the maps were published years before that date. I don't think any were published in 2005, but some may have been "revised". Would probably be alright to use them, but I'd perfer to just buy my own. Most of the reroutes on the AT are very minor, the basic layout remains fairly consistent, but I still reviewed all changes posted on the ATC website, just for a heads-up.

Sly
12-22-2011, 11:44
The maps may not be updated as frequently as the guidebooks, I noticed many planned relos already mapped. For instance, when I hiked the trail passed directly by the Long Trail Inn, however the relo in the area which didn't open for another year or two was on the map as a planned relo.