PDA

View Full Version : How to treat blisters or prevent them

Thumper 2006
03-09-2005, 13:47
I just got back from a thru hike of the art loeb trail which is 20 miles through pisgha forest, despite the terrible rain and huge amount of snow fall, i have got blisters on the back of both my heels. I broke my boots in before this hike, but it was to no avail. I am very worried that this may happen on my thru hike this summer. How can I prevent these because it prevents me from hiking as far. Granted the trail was all up hill and climbed the entire way to the end i am just worried about this ailment.

RockyTrail
03-09-2005, 14:49
As soon as you feel any rubbing or burning sensation, stop right there immediately and add some moleskin or duct tape to the affected area. Don't wait for lunch break or whatever, do it now! Later get the boot fit checked by somebody who knows what to look for, maybe try liner socks.

BookBurner
03-09-2005, 15:07
Are you married to your boots? The best thing I ever did for my heels was to start wearing low-cut hiking shoes. Now, I couldn't imagine going back. Boots are too stiff. They can't help but rub your feet raw!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Bjorkin
03-09-2005, 16:07
Use the thin sock liners made from silk or other synthetics. They transfer the friction between your foot and sock/boot to the liner and boot.

SalParadise
03-09-2005, 17:26
I got a million blisters last year. What really helped was to get my boots professionally fitted. I don't think it's necessarily a boots vs. shoes thing, but just that some people get boots that have too much room in the heel.

Barring this, I'd usually apply iodine to the blister to speed healing, then moleskin, then duct tape over that, as moleskin slips off sometimes.

If your feet tend to sweat a lot, you'll want to take off your socks at lunch and dry them out.

There's also a certain cream you can by, I believe it's called Tincher of Benzine or some sort, works great.

littledragon
03-09-2005, 18:02
This is off the the blister subject- a little, but still related. I use the low-cut boots, too, Montrails. I really love them. Now- the questions is- will they be enough for the southern Presidentials in the Whites? We will be there May 28- June 4. I do not want to deal with blisters of any sort, obviously, since we have only this limited number of days to cover as much ground as possible. Any tips or special things I need to know? Will these boots - which by the way have never given me a blister (I have done well over a 150 miles in them).

Red Hat
03-09-2005, 19:01
I got blisters even with my well-broken in Vasque boots on the AT. Used moleskin and Compede (by Bandaid).

Now I only wear sneaker-type hiking shoes (NB, Adidas, or similar). No more blisters!

orangebug
03-09-2005, 23:13
I believe you mean Benzoine, which is an iodine/povidine sort of solution that leaves a sticky residue that is excellent for taping. It is usually overkill for blisters.

Duct tape is the charm, especially while the blister is still a hot spot. Compeed and other gas permeable membranes are also nice to work with, but I am sold on duct tape. Wrap over the blisters, leave it until the next opportunity for a shower and inspection.

cutman11
03-11-2005, 01:15
Compeed
Duct Tape

in that order...compeed until you get the blister, then duct tape until gone.
And put a tiny hole in the blister, squeeze the fluid out, but leave the dead skin on..natures dressing. If it becomes redder around it, though, then remove the dead skin and wash...ouch!

baseballswthrt
03-11-2005, 07:25
The best treatment for a blister is prevention! I tried several pair of boots fitted at outfitters. I could wear the boots to work and ball games and around town for months and then go hiking and both heels would be raw and bloody with blisters. We even had to cut some hikes short due to my feet. I tried liner socks, duct taping my heels before we started, lotions and oils...you name it, we tried it to no avail.
I started a post about it on here. Orangebug answered and suggested attending a Phil Oren boot fitting.
I looked on line and found one at Hudson Trail Outfitters in Washington DC. We drove 4 hours to get there. Gabe, a manger from another store, and the Merrill representative spent 3 hours trying to find the right fit for me that didn't rub anywhere. I have very narrow heels. I was frustrated and wanted to give up. Gabe would not. He ended up fitting me with a pair of Vasque Ions.
These boots are incredible. They are heavier than I thought I wanted. I was hoping for trail runners, but these boots are perfect! I have not had the first hot spot since getting them. I have hiked over 100 miles in them and yes, uphill without a blister or hot spot!
Please go and get your boots fit properly. Your feet are different on the trail than off so your shoes should be too!

Palmer
03-11-2005, 08:01
Dr. Scholl used to market a thinner version of moleskin. I believe that it was called Kurotec (sp?). Does anyone remember it? Is it still available anywhere?

Longlegs
02-20-2006, 01:43
I had the same problem. I just use regular medical tap on hte back of my heals. But what I also do is use a roll-on antipersperant and let it dry (A minite) before I put the tape on. I found out that sweat is what causes most blisters. NO blisters now! Sounds nuts but it works.

Ridge
02-20-2006, 20:16
1. Use broken-in proper fitting boots.
2. Use proper sock with liner
3. keep boots laced properly

Options are gaters. Duct tape or similar on heels until boots are broken in.

jlb2012
02-21-2006, 09:11
One product that seems to be getting some good reviews is BlisterShield (http://www.blistershield.com/) from Two Toms

kyhipo
02-21-2006, 09:25
more than likely ditch your boots get a lighter tennis style boot or trail shoe,I always check my dogs in the evening but blisters usually puff out in the sleeping hrs,I would not reccomend my method of heating my knife up and sterolizing it than popping my blisters,and most of all air them puppies out!:banana its amazing the foot probs on the trail,I have seen the show hamburger hill many times out their hiking,best defense is taking time each night to air them out.ky

Pickles
02-21-2006, 10:53
I like to cut the Dr Scholls Mole foam in the shape of a donut. Make the hole no larger than absolutely necessary. The hole goes over the area that is rubbing or the blister (if you didn't catch it in time). I've not had trouble with it slipping, even when wet.

Blissful
02-21-2006, 21:02
Love my wrightsocks for blister protection - they have liners built into them. And the right kind of shoe helps also.

KirkMcquest
02-21-2006, 23:10
I just got back from a thru hike of the art loeb trail which is 20 miles through pisgha forest, despite the terrible rain and huge amount of snow fall, i have got blisters on the back of both my heels. I broke my boots in before this hike, but it was to no avail. I am very worried that this may happen on my thru hike this summer. How can I prevent these because it prevents me from hiking as far. Granted the trail was all up hill and climbed the entire way to the end i am just worried about this ailment.

Dude, get heelhuggers. You may have to order them online. Problem SOLVED!!!

KirkMcquest
02-21-2006, 23:13
For toe blisters get injinji toe socks. They are socks with individual toe compartments, no more toe blisters.

roxy33x
02-22-2006, 00:14
Is it any less safe to thru hike the AT in tennis shoes?

freefall
02-24-2006, 05:35
Sweaty Cotton Socks Worst for Blisters:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060223/ap_on_he_me/sweaty_socks_study

Burn
02-25-2006, 08:44
i think yer issue is not footware but perspective....yer whole thinking seems to center around "it effects how far I can hike". Don't try to do the whole trip in a day....work up to the point that your feet become used to the beating they are gonna get. Speed has some thing to do with it too. Trying to go too far too fast too soon is a no no and more than likely the reason you got the blisters.....now i would suggest your body including yer feet and mind can more than likely do much more at day one than you should...yet, you may pay the penalty for yer thinking long before you bring yer body up to the real issues of what you were built to do.

my suggestion would be to stroll, enjoy, go slow, imagine little ecosystems and such...find some sorta mystery in the journey...not stomp out mega miles. if you hike 12 miles a day you can get to katahdin and take 50 breaks a day....with this in mind, you wouldn't hike past a spectacular place would ya.....cause some places, secluded and just plain are the spectacular view of the day. imagine that clump of weird roots...that was yer view for the day....enjoy...slow down, stop often....and in a week, yer feet will be accustomed to the wear and tear and you'll stomp out a 20 or even more with no concept that you just busted yer longest mile day in the same amount of time and yet still tok 15 breaks along the way.....

best thing i heard was do something immediately.....

for blisters...leave them alone....duct tape and all the other stuff actually will peel off the dead skin which as weird as it sounds will reattach and eventually just fade away like any other flaky skin.

dry feet seems to be the issue for me...that is relative....i prefer a sock that pulls the moisture away from my feet....i don't change socks every day....just wash them and put em back on....even wet some times...the body is an amazing dryer.

once you have a blister...let it be...don't stay so clean or foot conscious...relax more, slow down...let the dirt get between yer toes....slow down....on up hills, slow down on down hills slow down....the places of stress may be felt there in those situations....don't be in sucha hurry to top a hill....if ya find a stream....a good 2 hr drink and nap may be yer ticket