PDA

View Full Version : Source for LT info

10-K
12-22-2011, 21:23
I decided earlier this year that hiking the LT this August would be my "big" hike of 2012.

I've ordered the E2E and LT guides and a map and am starting to get an idea of what I'm going to be undertaking. Looks like transportation logistics getting to and fro is where the challenge is going to be. For that reason, I'm leaning towards a SOBO hike.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a forum, similar to WB, for the LT?

Rough
12-22-2011, 21:31
Here on White Blaze the Long Trail forums are active. There's also a Long Trail-dedicated forum at:

http://www.longtrailpodcast.com/forum/index.php

stranger
12-22-2011, 22:20
Me and a buddy are going southbound starting towards the end of July, I've made the trip before but a long time ago (nobo). I've found the Long Trail forum on here useful, I will also check out the other one posted - thanks for that.

It makes more sense to go southbound in my view because getting to the northern terminus can be tricky, the easiest way is generally to get to Burlington, then hitch or take a shuttle, the end-to-end guide lists shuttles and also the ATC has a very thorough list of shuttles up and down the trail. I've heard of a number of people successfully hitch to Journeys End in less than one day, Vermont is kind to hitchhikers.

Keep in mind the Grand Union supermarket in Johnson is gone, so you will have to either do a maildrop or hitch into Morrisville for a good supermarket, or take your chances in Johnson.

The section between Johnson and Lincoln Gap is the most difficult, about 70 miles, but also incredible scenery.

If you want to talk trail flick me a PM.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2011, 00:24
If there is any way you can postpone the hike until September, that would be much better. It will be cooler, less people and a touch of fall colors towards the end. Hopefully, there wouldn't be any hurricanes like this year. I'm real tempted to do the LT again myself next fall.

Smugglers notch is only about a day and a half south of Johnson, so heading into Stowe for resupply probably wouldn't be too bad an option. Though a mail drop to Johnson would save a lot of time. You'll also want to do one to the Inn at the Long Trail. Getting into Rutland isn't too hard, but it would waste most of a day.

As for SOBO vs NOBO, getting back home would be a lot easier from the southern end. There is an early morning bus from Williamstown to Boston and from there you can go anywhere.

mark schofield
12-23-2011, 07:27
http://www.trailforums.com/room.cfm?roomID=27

nehiker
12-23-2011, 10:57
There is an early morning bus from Williamstown to Boston and from there you can go anywhere.

As well as to NYC; morning and afternoon, run by Peter Pan. They ask hikers if they have ``camp fuel" and refuse to carry it supposedly because it is flammable. I am sure many of their non-hiking customers carry far more flammable things than those fuel canisters, and they do not even bother to ask.

There is also a Hertz car rental at Pittsfield airport, which does one-way rental and where you can get by local buses (Berkshire Region Transit Authority).

If you stay at Williamstown Motel (a rather nice place), the owner will pick you up from the trailhead (about 1.5 miles away) and drop you off at the bus stop (1 mile away).

I did SOBO at the end of June and beginning of July 2011.

jakedatc
12-23-2011, 16:04
I don't quite get the SOBO because of the transportation issues. Either way you have to get there or get back from there. For me I will probably be going NOBO since i can easily get dropped off and then I can sort out getting back at the end. Plus the southern part is supposed to be easier so you can ramp up to the hard stuff instead of being dropped right into it. should be good times either way. is it summer yet?

Jeff
12-23-2011, 16:34
Either direction is alot of fun and hard work. 90% of our LT guests are headed northbound.

One benefit heading north is the ability to utilitize the two outfitters in Manchester to make gear adjustments.

Slo-go'en
12-23-2011, 17:20
The transportation issues are the same going north or south, but dealing with the more difficult end (north) while your freash is likely less taxing then at the end when your tired and just want to get home. So, do you take the easy way in or the easy way out?

But your right, going SOBO is harder at first and the climbs seem steeper going south than north. That can be a good thing if your knees don't like steep decents (except for coming down the back side of Madonna - now that's a decent!).

Since I live nearer the north end then the south, if I do another LT E2E, it would be SOBO again. I can get a friend to drive me to North Troy and then take a bus home from Mass.

10-K
12-23-2011, 17:50
Either direction is alot of fun and hard work. 90% of our LT guests are headed northbound.

One benefit heading north is the ability to utilitize the two outfitters in Manchester to make gear adjustments.

Got my gear dialed in but Manchester Center will still suck me in for at least a day or two....best trail town ever.

Cookerhiker
12-23-2011, 17:50
I basically hiked inside-out in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248): starting at Rt. 4, hiked north to Canada, returned to Rt. 4, hiked south to Massachusetts. But I flipped some in the northern half, hiking Smugglers Notch to Appalachian Gap south. Logistics on the north end weren't a problem because between my hiking partner and I, we stowed a car in the north. He didn't hike with me for the southern half but I used public transportation between Bennington and Sherbourne Pass after parking my car at the Greylock Club in N. Adams and hitching to Bennington.

Like and many others who have hiked it, I recommend blue-blazing around Sherbourne Pass to hike right to the Inn at the Long Trail - the old AT/LT route for decades until recently. Enjoy a Long Trail Ale or Guinness and live music along with reasonable rates.

10-K
12-23-2011, 17:52
The transportation issues are the same going north or south, but dealing with the more difficult end (north) while your freash is likely less taxing then at the end when your tired and just want to get home. So, do you take the easy way in or the easy way out?

But your right, going SOBO is harder at first and the climbs seem steeper going south than north. That can be a good thing if your knees don't like steep decents (except for coming down the back side of Madonna - now that's a decent!).

Since I live nearer the north end then the south, if I do another LT E2E, it would be SOBO again. I can get a friend to drive me to North Troy and then take a bus home from Mass.

For this trip it's not the trail that's going to be the issue - it's definitely going to be transportation arrangements. I'm sure it'll all work out - it can't be *that* hard - people hike the trail every year.. :)

Mountain Mike
12-23-2011, 18:38
You will love it. North of Killington it is a lot like the Whites. Mama Bowers B & B is shutting their doors this year. It was a great stop for me & my companion. But there are several nice B & Bs up north. Hitching is easy in VT. Many of the shuttles for norther terminus no longer provide that service, I looked into many of the Taxi services up there. They are used to doing shuttles to ski ares. I would gear my search in that direction.

stranger
12-23-2011, 21:57
I don't quite get the SOBO because of the transportation issues. Either way you have to get there or get back from there. For me I will probably be going NOBO since i can easily get dropped off and then I can sort out getting back at the end. Plus the southern part is supposed to be easier so you can ramp up to the hard stuff instead of being dropped right into it. should be good times either way. is it summer yet?

It makes more sense in my view to go southbound for 4 reasons:
- You can spend time at home and online to pre-arrange public transportation and shuttles ahead of time to get to Journeys End
- Going northbound, the trail just gets harder and harder as you go, going southbound the last 120 miles are noticably easier (I've gone nobo before and agree with this concept 100%)
- 100 miles is not nearly enough time to get in decent trail shape, therefore as the trail gets harder north of route 4, you might be 15-20%% stronger, but the trail is 40-50% harder, so you never notice this slight improvement in your ability or endurance
- Finishing at the MA border, you are 4 miles from restaurants, motels and public transportation

corialice81
12-23-2011, 22:13
and they will connect you with other end to enders that are willing to answer any and all questions with sound advice.

I went NOBO and parked in North Adams for three weeks on donation this past August. I got a ride back to my truck after the hike. I put together some useful info at the end of my trail journal www.trailjournals.com/cori

Let me know if I can help.

Papa D
12-23-2011, 22:24
I arranged for Thomas Transportation (out of Keene, NH) to pick my little crew up at Journey's End Road and shuttle us back to North Adams, MA after my NOBO hike -- not exactly cheap but absolutely reliable and complete service -- I think it was about a $300 taxi ride (but you could co-op it with several folks). We had 5 people (so $50 ea.).

www.thomastransportation.com/

Papa D
12-23-2011, 22:29
The trail is much more "spirited" on the Northern Sections -- from about Mt. Abraham thru Camels Hump and on to Mansfield are definitely the most spectacular parts of the hike therefore I found it really special "earning these spots" after hiking 150 - 200 miles vs ending at the MA border. The trail really sets up very good going NOBO for a lot of reasons.

jakedatc
12-23-2011, 22:42
The trail is much more "spirited" on the Northern Sections -- from about Mt. Abraham thru Camels Hump and on to Mansfield are definitely the most spectacular parts of the hike therefore I found it really special "earning these spots" after hiking 150 - 200 miles vs ending at the MA border. The trail really sets up very good going NOBO for a lot of reasons.

This is kinda my thought too. Who wants to look forward to 100miles of flat walking? i'd rather see new and cool views and look forward to that. I also have a friend in Stowe that might join me for a few days or at least provide a spot for a drop box and resupply. My dad is also going to do a few days in the beginning to drop me (and maybe my cousin) off.

stranger
12-24-2011, 01:57
Who said anything about the southern 100 miles being flat? Please don't not confuse 'easy by comparison' to 'easy'. In comparison to the northern sections of the LT, the southern sections are easier. I will admit that going northbound and having Camels Hump in my head for a few weeks was kinda cool, it was exciting to get there, and earn it (I would not say that about Mansfield, that was a disappointment), the parking lot and 80 people along the trail was kinda lame. But yes, for this reason I would say going north is interesting, but southern Vermont is still amazing, Killington, Stratton Pond, Styles Peak, Glastenburg, Clarendon Gorge, etc...no lack of kick ass spots. Nothing wrong with going northbound, but most people I know who have done the trail, including myself, tend to say AFTER the hike that southbound makes more sense all things considered. Choose to disregard that information, it will be an amazing hike regardless. I wouldn't change my northbound thru-hike for the world, just wouldn't do it again.

stranger
12-24-2011, 08:43
A good trick going northbound is to backtrack back to VT 105 after reaching the Canadian Border instead of hiking down to Journeys End Road, VT 105 has some traffic and you could be on your way towards Burlington before you know it.

Papa D
12-24-2011, 09:10
Who said anything about the southern 100 miles being flat? Please don't not confuse 'easy by comparison' to 'easy'. In comparison to the northern sections of the LT, the southern sections are easier. I will admit that going northbound and having Camels Hump in my head for a few weeks was kinda cool, it was exciting to get there, and earn it (I would not say that about Mansfield, that was a disappointment), the parking lot and 80 people along the trail was kinda lame. But yes, for this reason I would say going north is interesting, but southern Vermont is still amazing, Killington, Stratton Pond, Styles Peak, Glastenburg, Clarendon Gorge, etc...no lack of kick ass spots. Nothing wrong with going northbound, but most people I know who have done the trail, including myself, tend to say AFTER the hike that southbound makes more sense all things considered. Choose to disregard that information, it will be an amazing hike regardless. I wouldn't change my northbound thru-hike for the world, just wouldn't do it again.

yep - Stranger is right - southern sections aren't "flat" at all - big mountians there too - like Glastenbury, Bromley, Killington, etc. but the hiking north of about Hancock, VT and Middlebury Ski Bowl is MUCH more strenuous and relative to the more southern sections -- going NOBO and building up to this is fun and exciting -- yes, Stratton Pond and Little Rock Pond, etc. are beautiful but (to me) they work more as "early trip beauty vs late trip beauty"

10-K
12-24-2011, 09:42
One thing about the southern part is that if you've hiked the AT you've already seen it.....

10-K
12-24-2011, 11:13
www.thomastransportation (http://www.<strong>thomastransportation</strong>).com/

Thanks for the info - I contacted these folks and here's the reply I just got:

We absolutely could help you with that.
Keeping in mind that this is quite a ride from North Adams, MA to North Troy, VT (214 miles or better), the total cost with driver gratuity included is $562.00 one way. Reservations need to be made at least 48 hours priorr [sic] to travel.

Mountain Mike
12-24-2011, 11:46
Try this link http://www.newenglandtaxi.com/

Cosmo
12-24-2011, 11:53
Hey 10K, I can't get you from NA to the north end of the LT, but if you need a ride from the airport (Albany is closer to NA than Manchester) to the south end, let me know.

Cosmo

10-K
12-24-2011, 16:10
Try this link http://www.newenglandtaxi.com/

Much better.....

This is a 4 hour trip one way with 220 miles
my flat rate would be $400 with a pre authorized credit card

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance :

Thank You
Don Corbett
http://www.newenglandtaxi.com/
(802)598-7254

10-K
12-24-2011, 16:15
Hey 10K, I can't get you from NA to the north end of the LT, but if you need a ride from the airport (Albany is closer to NA than Manchester) to the south end, let me know.

Cosmo

Thanks Cosmo! I've got 3 or 4 different options cooking - I don't think it'll be as difficult as I first thought.

Now the big thing is where in North Adams to park a car for 3 weeks...

Mountain Mike
12-24-2011, 16:34
10K are you planning to drive to NA & then take a shuttle? You should be able to catch a bus to Rutland with no problem if not furter north on rt 7 & then shuttle & keep cost down. http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html & http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm & possibly http://www.thebus.com/routes/connector.htm

nehiker
12-24-2011, 18:35

To me, it often seemed the other way around. The drop south from Jay's Peak is very steep in the upper portion (just after it leaves the ski area); this was the first place I slipped and was worried enough about my knee to take 2 advils right away. The drop from Elephant's Peak (south of Madonna Peak) south to Smuggler's Notch is also very steep and rough. The largest ascent on the LT is from Jonesville south to Camel's Hump, 3500', but it is over 6 miles; after that, it took me 2 hours to descend the two miles to Montclair Glen Hut. The upper half of the descent from Mt. Abraham was steep. None of the ascents seemed that steep to me, with the exception of a short section just north of the Chin.

I am still glad I did SOBO though; it was such smooth sailing after Lincoln Gap.

corialice81
12-24-2011, 20:11
Thanks Cosmo! I've got 3 or 4 different options cooking - I don't think it'll be as difficult as I first thought.

For a donation (you pick), you can park at the Greylock Country Club which is near the AT. 413.664.9020. The place is watched by police. My truck had no problems and sat for twenty days. HIGHLY RECOMMEND page 27 at bottom of the End to Enders Guide.

As far as getting back to North Adams afterwards... call and speak with Norm at the North Troy Bed and Breakfast. 802.988.2527 During the workweek, he doesn't mind giving you a ride to Bennington, VT, where he works. From Bennington, you can take a bus back to North Adams for much less than 400 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Cookerhiker
12-24-2011, 22:25
For a donation (you pick), you can park at the Greylock Country Club which is near the AT. 413.664.9020. The place is watched by police. My truck had no problems and sat for twenty days. HIGHLY RECOMMEND page 27 at bottom of the End to Enders Guide.....

+1 on this. I've left my car at the Greylock Community Club twice - once for the LT thruhike, once for a Mass. section hike. No problems, no worries.

Papa D
12-24-2011, 22:38
Thanks for the info - I contacted these folks and here's the reply I just got:

We absolutely could help you with that.
Keeping in mind that this is quite a ride from North Adams, MA to North Troy, VT (214 miles or better), the total cost with driver gratuity included is $562.00 one way. Reservations need to be made at least 48 hours priorr [sic] to travel.

OUCH!! They have gone up! It could still be co-opped with a group if you could put one together - they do have a big van. Maybe you could get them to take you to somewhere like Stowe, VT -- that's really not too far -- you could bus it from there?? My end to end guide says there is a guy named Steve Merrill that will run a private shuttle too (802) 988-2958. [email protected] -- if you can get to Stowe, there is a transit service there: Green Mountain Transit Agency: (802) 447-0477 - they could get you to Burlington or maybe all the way back to MA.

Papa D
12-24-2011, 22:39
+1 on this. I've left my car at the Greylock Community Club twice - once for the LT thruhike, once for a Mass. section hike. No problems, no worries.

yep - this is where we parked for our end to end - no problems at all.

Cosmo
12-25-2011, 09:00

Mt Greylock Community Club. It's 100 yards east of the AT at Rt 2. They request a small donation. I can get their phone number when I get back to work.

Merry Christmas,

Cosmo

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2011, 11:34
10-K, VT is one of, if not the easiest state to hitch a ride in, especially for a hiker wearing a pack - very hiker friendly. I don't think I've ever waited more than a few minutes on Rt 7 or Rt 9 or any of the I-91 entrance ramps, and have often had people go out of their way to drop me somewhere they weren't even originally going past (once had a couple headed toward NY drive me all the way to Bennington from Manchester Center - I offered them some gas money which they refused). I'd honestly venture that you could hitch from the North Adams area to North Troy faster (and cheaper) than trying to string together public transport options.

Hey, it's an adventure anyway. Just stick out the thumb and go for it, you'll get plenty of rides. I'd probably hitch north out of North Adams / Williamstown on Rt 7 to Bennington, then east on Rt 9 to I-91, then north on I-91 to Newport, then west on 105 to North Troy and Journeys End Rd. If you can make it as far as St. Johnsbury and get stuck for a ride, I'll drive you the rest of the way if I'm not away on business / work. PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

Cookerhiker
12-25-2011, 14:38
I hiked the LT in sections 1977-81 and thruhiked in '07. Never had a problem hitching. My last ride - from the southern terminus in N. Adams all the way to Bennington - was from a Jewish family on Rosh Hashanna. Pretty cool.

Tinker
12-25-2011, 16:21
The easiest part is the 10 miles or so north of Rte 4.

The hardest 50 feet was going over the chin on wet rock with a stiff wind! :eek:

I loved every inch of the trail.

Chaco Taco
12-25-2011, 23:01
10-K, Ill be out there in August as well. I think I may start the last week of July. Not sure what direction yet. I have the Whites to prep me if I decide to SOBO. Got a few nice trips planned for the summer leading up to the LT 12 hike. Good luck planning. If you are up here before I leave, let me know if you need any help with transportation. Stay in touch.

Chaco Taco
12-26-2011, 12:25
Hey I am curious about something with the new E2E guidebook. I just ordered mine and wanted to know if, especially in the northern sections, if there are camping options listed for shelters and such like the AT guidebooks?

Tinker
12-26-2011, 16:42
Hey I am curious about something with the new E2E guidebook. I just ordered mine and wanted to know if, especially in the northern sections, if there are camping options listed for shelters and such like the AT guidebooks?

If you mean to ask whether or not there are options other than shelters, such as public campgrounds near the LT, or campsites along the trail, yea the E2E guidebook does list many.

Comet Omega
12-26-2011, 19:15
If you can make it to the North Troy Inn Bed and Breakfast, they will shuttle you to the trail to start. I had a friend drop me off and pick me up, so it made it a lot easier. I started SOBO the day of Hurricane Irene and couldn't make it to the trail from Journeys End due to a flooded stream. Hitched to N. Troy Inn BB. It was inexpensive and had Norm (the owner) drop me off the next day at 105 and I hiked North to the Terminus and then back south. I hiked with 7 days worth of food using FBC method. Wasn't too heavy. Resupplied via maildrop at Jonesville PO and Inn at Long Trail. Didn't get to do the whole thing because they shut the forest down for a while. I did 221 miles of it and did an outside in, outside in. Got off at APP GAP, due to the threat of arrest and or $5000.00 fine. Waited a week at my friends house and then went NOBO from Mass once they opened the Forest and ran out of time. Went over Camel Hump during Tropical Storm Lee, that was interesting. Got a quick hitch to Johnson to the deli just before town and managed to get some good subs and extras! Stayed at Mama Bowers, possibly the last person to do so last year, but they said they were closing. Have a great hike!

Johnny Thunder
12-27-2011, 01:09
hey chac. there wasn't much in the way of dedicated camp sites in the northern stretch...sort of like maine in the sense of it being dense pine trees that aren't thinned enough to put a tent down...except around shelter areas. if you want to send me few pictures of your LT maps i'll see what i can remember...maybe even dig up the email i sent jack and cookie about camp spots right after jess and i finished.

mark schofield
12-27-2011, 08:05
http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/
Hi Ten K; check this trail journal out. I did basically the same thing a few years back. I'e tried to find the link to "Long Trail Hiking" but the site seems to be down or gone. Perhaps others have information on it. Mark S

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 10:30
Ill scan the section and send em this afternoon

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 10:32
http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/
Hi Ten K; check this trail journal out. I did basically the same thing a few years back. I'e tried to find the link to "Long Trail Hiking" but the site seems to be down or gone. Perhaps others have information on it. Mark S

I looked at that site and its a great pictoral if the LT.

Cookerhiker
12-27-2011, 11:03
hey chac. there wasn't much in the way of dedicated camp sites in the northern stretch...sort of like maine in the sense of it being dense pine trees that aren't thinned enough to put a tent down...except around shelter areas. ....

That's my recollection also. Once we left Smugglers Notch hiking north, we saw very few people and had all the shelter areas to ourselves. This was in the last week of August.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 14:36
Hey Thunder, how bout I mail you a map and you mail it back!

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 14:44
Hey Thunder, how bout I mail you a map and you mail it back!

ill just post pics

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 08:37
I will tell you a great source of info and day by day account is Jan's Ordinary Adventurer book. Her book being set up as a day to day account really is a great read but very informative about some of the basic information. Obviously things have changed a little but this book is helping me to understand how I may approach my hike.

Papa D
01-02-2012, 08:48
Well, I know that 10K is going SOBO so this will be near his start but here are the comments I have on shelters in the north (toward the end for most):
There was good tenting at / near Roundtop which is a cool place. The water source is an old iron pump that you prime with a little jug. I would skip Hazen's Notch Shelter -- it's a 4 walled cabin and most of those on the LT are pretty neat but H.N. was kind of a dump, the water source was sketchy, and the tenting was real iffy at best. Laura Woodward was a fine shelter and there was a pretty good bit of tenting there.

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:09
lol anybody need a resupply or lift PM me. But I might be on the trail with a staged car.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:13
Well, I know that 10K is going SOBO so this will be near his start but here are the comments I have on shelters in the north (toward the end for most):
There was good tenting at / near Roundtop which is a cool place. The water source is an old iron pump that you prime with a little jug. I would skip Hazen's Notch Shelter -- it's a 4 walled cabin and most of those on the LT are pretty neat but H.N. was kind of a dump, the water source was sketchy, and the tenting was real iffy at best. Laura Woodward was a fine shelter and there was a pretty good bit of tenting there.

Im still weighing which direction Ill go as well. It would be cool to be with thru's at the beginning and then go off on my own with considerably less hiker traffic going to the end, but hiking quietly at the start is equally as appealing.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:15

According to the E2e there is no tenting at LW. Does no tenting mean "don't do it" or there are no spots.?

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:19
The beauty of this trail goes right to this mans soul.

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:24
South bound is thr best

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:27
Im starting to think that may be the way to go

Papa D
01-02-2012, 09:29
According to the E2e there is no tenting at LW. Does no tenting mean "don't do it" or there are no spots.?

Well, there were no signs there that stated, "no tenting" - there are a few nice flat spots behind the shelter and about 40 yards to the north - I slept in my tent there -- I wouldn't say it was the greatest tenting spot ever but it was certainly adequate.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:31
Well, there were no signs there that stated, "no tenting" - there are a few nice flat spots behind the shelter and about 40 yards to the north - I slept in my tent there -- I wouldn't say it was the greatest tenting spot ever but it was certainly adequate.
Good enough for me

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:31
Leave no trace.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:33
Leave no trace.

Only trace I leave is a cathole

Papa D
01-02-2012, 09:33
unless you've already hiked the whole AT - including the VT section, (like 10K has) I would strongly suggest going NOBO - the trail sets up so well that way - the further you go, the better the scenery, and the harder the hiking - the hiking starting off isn't "easy" but it's a good warm-up. Going SOBO would have been anticlimactic to me (and I had already hiked the southern sections long ago on my thru).

lemon b
01-02-2012, 09:36
Northbound just confuses me. One year I went up and back. Thats too cool.

Chaco Taco
01-02-2012, 09:38
unless you've already hiked the whole AT - including the VT section, (like 10K has) I would strongly suggest going NOBO - the trail sets up so well that way - the further you go, the better the scenery, and the harder the hiking - the hiking starting off isn't "easy" but it's a good warm-up. Going SOBO would have been anticlimactic to me (and I had already hiked the southern sections long ago on my thru).
We have done the southern section, NOBO08, and we have spent a good deal of time in The Whites this past season. Im not so much worried about the terrain. I do like the idea of spending one of those first nights on Glastonbury. We were up there after The Gathering and its just such a sweet spot. Nice way to close out an awesome hike or start one.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-08-2012, 21:39
I've had my eye on this trail for several years. My trip I had planned for March isn't working out so I think I'll do a southbound in Sept.
Off to order my guide!

Yukon
01-13-2012, 16:06
We have done the southern section, NOBO08, and we have spent a good deal of time in The Whites this past season. Im not so much worried about the terrain. I do like the idea of spending one of those first nights on Glastonbury. We were up there after The Gathering and its just such a sweet spot. Nice way to close out an awesome hike or start one.

Yep, Glastenbury is a highlight of the LT for sure. I'm up there at least 3 times each summer :)