PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag liner

ekeverette
12-23-2011, 09:24
hey folks.... i plan on starting my thru around 1st of april. i have a 20 degree bag. i'm cold natured.... question: should i purchase a 35.00 dollar or so bag liner, or wait until neels gap... if i survive, and get one there?

moytoy
12-23-2011, 09:37
Go buy two yards of synthetic fleece 60" wide. Fold it and sew two sides shut. Get in it like getting in a sock and then get into sleeping bag. If you find you you don't need it leave it in a hiker box or a shelter, someone will use it.

Bags4266
12-23-2011, 10:02
Or you can use some of your clothes and not have to lug around a fleece bag

ekeverette
12-23-2011, 10:51
thanks guys, folks have always willing to help!

kayak karl
12-23-2011, 10:59
liners are a pain to use. at least you have this winter to try suggestions out.

Lyle
12-23-2011, 11:18
I find a silk liner (as opposed to fleece) very useful. Has many advantages and I use it year-round.

- Keeps expensive down sleeping bag cleaner
- Easy to launder frequently
- Packs very small
- Weighs under 5 oz
- Adds about 3* of warmth when you are buttoned down in your bag
- Adds substantial "breeze incursion resistance" (my term) when using your bag as a quilt and you move around
- Many summer nights it is all that is needed to sleep warmly
- The silk turns with me when I roll around, yet slides against the nylon bag, so the bag remains in place covering me as I roll underneath it. I'm a very restless sleeper, and the silk liner helps, not hinders.

It does come with one relatively minor drawback - SLIGHTLY more fiddly to get into your bag. The benefits FAR out-way this minor, and I do mean minor, hassle.

Tallpaul
12-23-2011, 12:51
Agree with silk liner is the way to go. Started my thru last year without one but bought one along the way. Kept my Western Mountaineering bag clean in March and in the summer I only slept in the liner.

daddytwosticks
12-23-2011, 17:11
If you are an active sleeper like me (trasher), liners will be frustrating. Extra clothing is dual purpose. :)

Nitrojoe
12-23-2011, 18:33
Instead of a liner, I use a bivee made by OWARE. Its weights only 8 oz and it extra wide so you can slip in your pad and sleeping bag inside. My sleeping bag is a 20 degree quilt and its very roomy when iam using it. Ideal when used in a shelter or out in the open and it also helps keep you warmer when the temps get into the teens.

HT1
12-23-2011, 18:58
Buy a used Army Poncho liner, it has strings on the corners, tie the bottom two together, you have a great sleeping bag liner, light, easy to clean, and cheap

Senor Jalapeno
12-23-2011, 19:08
Go for the liner! I swear by a silk liner, my girlfriend swears by the Sea to summit Thermolite reactor liner. Either way, they keep your bag clean when your grundy body is in it, provides extra warmth, weighs less than extra clothes, and can just be used by itself in the warmer months. I waited til Neels gap to get my silk last year, and wished i bought it before i left for the trail. (Outfitters can be reeally pricey.)

endubyu
12-23-2011, 21:52
I find a silk liner (as opposed to fleece) very useful. Has many advantages and I use it year-round.

- Keeps expensive down sleeping bag cleaner
- Easy to launder frequently
- Packs very small
- Weighs under 5 oz
- Adds about 3* of warmth when you are buttoned down in your bag
- Adds substantial "breeze incursion resistance" (my term) when using your bag as a quilt and you move around
- Many summer nights it is all that is needed to sleep warmly
- The silk turns with me when I roll around, yet slides against the nylon bag, so the bag remains in place covering me as I roll underneath it. I'm a very restless sleeper, and the silk liner helps, not hinders.

It does come with one relatively minor drawback - SLIGHTLY more fiddly to get into your bag. The benefits FAR out-way this minor, and I do mean minor, hassle.

+1 on the silk

leaftye
12-23-2011, 23:03
Instead of a liner, I use a bivee made by OWARE. Its weights only 8 oz and it extra wide so you can slip in your pad and sleeping bag inside. My sleeping bag is a 20 degree quilt and its very roomy when iam using it. Ideal when used in a shelter or out in the open and it also helps keep you warmer when the temps get into the teens.

I'd also recommend a UL bivy instead of a liner.

corialice81
12-24-2011, 00:20
Loved my non-silk liner, I have a sea to summit thermolite reactor for the winter months and a sea to summit coolmax liner especially when things got warm. I found that my bag could get kinda of clamy. Also kept my bag cleaner by using a liner.

LDog
12-24-2011, 00:50
Santa's bringing us a pair of Cocoon Expedition Liners made of ripstop silk.

Wil
12-24-2011, 02:13
+1 on the silkWhy not silk long underwear? I'd think it would be more warmth-efficient, even easier turning and turning in the bag, would keep the bag clean just as well.

Lyle
12-24-2011, 10:51
Why not silk long underwear? I'd think it would be more warmth-efficient, even easier turning and turning in the bag, would keep the bag clean just as well.

Not really, would still have your stinky feet, hands, arms transferring their oils to the bag. Not to mention your greasy hair. Also, I have silk long underwear I use during the cold season for sleeping, not nearly as light or compact as the liner. Plus, the liner, when used alone as a summer bag, is warmer than a set of long underwear, traps more dead air space.

I have, and do use both at times, they are not equivalent.