PDA

View Full Version : SNP North to South

dhock83
12-23-2011, 22:44
I am a section hiker and am ready to do a 100 mile section and was thinking that SNP would be a great place to go. I am just starting to plan and think about the possible trip and have a few questions to get me started. How many days should i give myself to do the whole park north to south.( I read that the park does rise several thousand feet but it does it gradually and farily easily.) Are there any good spots to drop off food along the way so that I dont have to carry my entire trips food at once? Water sources and weather? I plan on going the last week in march. I know that I am asking a lot but know that this is one of the best sites to come for some of the info. Thank you for your time and any input or thoughts you may have.

Lemni Skate
12-23-2011, 23:01
I hiked it very leisurely and it took me 9 days. I was usually pretty bushed after 10 or 11 miles, but I was not in great shape. I think it's a great place to do a first AT section hike. I don't think it is any easier or harder than any other part of the trail I've hiked, but it's definitely not flat like some thru hikers will try to convince you. The hike is one of the best memories of my life.

jlb2012
12-23-2011, 23:22
if by drop off you mean cache - there are many places: basically every place that the trail crosses Skyline Drive is a potential cache spot _BUT_ note that the cache will need to be bear proof, and fairly well hidden since it is against regs to leave anything like a cache in the park

if by drop off you are thinking you can leave it with the people who run the concessions (ARAMark I think still has that monopoly) - forget it they won't do it since they want you to buy their over priced stuff

I have not heard of anyone leaving stuff with the rangers (ex Byrd Visitor Center) so I suspect they won't do it either

best legal approach is to leave a car where you want to resupply and leave the resupply in the trunk or find someone that is going to be in the campground for the length of time you are going to be there and leave the resupply with them (tough to do in March) or find some trail angle that is willing to drive up to the resupply point when you call them (again good luck finding someone that will do this)

if you were to hike it a little later it would be possible to leave a resupply at one of the lodges _IFF_ you plan to stay the night at the lodge ($$$)

weather in late march is questionable - it may be the park is closed due to snow or it may be a great spring time - springs will probably be OK at that time of the year

A/T Spike
01-01-2012, 18:27
I did a south to north hike in November. I left a half way re-supply package at the visitors center in Big Meadows. Depending on what time(check out the SNP website)of year your going there are several restaraunts, grills and camp stores open.

Blissful
01-01-2012, 22:31
There is already a thread on this with the info needed - do a search