PDA

View Full Version : April start clothing advice

Simrose
03-09-2005, 16:51
For an April 10 start, what are your thoughts on the following:

What I am thinking of taking:
Sleeveless hiking top
Hiking shorts (I do not want/like the zip-off short/pant combo)
LW capilene top and bottom
Primaloft jacket
Lightweight hiking pants
MW capilene bottoms
Frogg toggs
Gloves, hat, socks

Questions:
1. Is the Primaloft jacket overkill for an April 10 start? I have a 200 weight fleece jacket I could take instead.
2. Are fleece pants necessary, or will MW capilene + hiking pants suffice for warmth in camp?
3. Hmmm ... I guess I only have 2 questions, but thanks anyways!

Thanks for the feedback!

Moose2001
03-09-2005, 17:04
I don't think any of us could answer if the primaloft is overkill. It depends on how well you tolerate the cold. What's the weight difference between the fleece and the primaloft?

MW capilene + hiking pants suffice for warmth in camp - why not ditch the pants and use the capilene and the Frog Toggs pants? You'll be just as warm with those and it's one less thing to carry.

Footslogger
03-09-2005, 17:23
Weather changes a bit from year to year but in general things tend to warm up during the day by that time in April. Cold winds can cut right through your clothing though. You'll still have some chilly nights for a while too.

I am personally a fan of the Primaloft pullovers/jackets over the 200 weight fleece. Just as warm but lighter and pack down better. I'm not a big fan of the zip off pants for hiking. I wear an old nylon bathing suit and carry high gaiters for use if the weather gets really cold or I have to slog through snow. Midweight long john bottoms with a wind/water proof outer layer (like Froggtoggs) is pleny.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Spirit Walker
03-09-2005, 17:56
Drop the midweight capilene bottoms. In camp you will either be in your sleeping bag or can wear the rain pants. Which is lighter, the fleece or the primaloft?

Spirit Walker
03-09-2005, 17:57
Sorry, I also forgot to add that hiking in long underwear under other pants (whether rain pants or nylon) gets very hot. So save the long underwear bottoms for sleeping.

Alligator
03-09-2005, 18:08
1. My polarguard jacket weighs less than a 200 wt. fleece, and I bet your PL does too.

2. You have too many pants. LW capilene bottom, MW capilene bottom, frogg toggs bottom. That's four pair + shorts. April in Georgia I would hike in shorts and for camp, I would probably have a pair of LW bottoms (but silk) and my microfleece pants, sort of like 100wt fleece. I would also have my frogg toggs bottoms, mostly for if it was rainy and they are a good backup. This is fairly conservative though given the PL jacket and I might even ditch the LW bottoms. If you have fleece pants that weigh less than the LW and MW capilenes, bring the fleece and mail drop the capilenes just a few weeks ahead. It will be warmer come May.

I agree with you about zip-offs. While I like my zip-off pants, they weigh more than my microfleece pants and hiking shorts and the zip-offs are not as warm. Plus, if you are hiking and it rains, your shorts get wet and you won't be using the zip-offs in camp.