PDA

View Full Version : State Parks starting New Year Day Hike Program

Frog
12-24-2011, 12:18
A lot of state parks are now planing on taking hikers out for a planed hike. Some are doing a short 2 mile hike and some others doing a more intense 11 mile hike. In 1975 me and my brother took our first new year hike in a state park that became a habit for the next 36 years. But we didn't just do hikes we started doing trips on the A T or the Smokies or other places and made them two to three days out. Have any of the W B people have such a tradition.

johnnybgood
12-24-2011, 13:38
The county park just minutes from my front door offers hikes all summer along with lots of other activities such as stargazing and nature walks . Some hikes are local but others are trips like the one every year to Old Rag which has travel fees & reservation requirements. This county park offers more in relation to summer events than the state park , that's also minutes away, that is much larger and is state supported .

My family doesn't hike so there is no "family tradition " , but much to my surprise I recently met my cousins husband ( family thru marriage ) for the first time and found out that he is an avid blueblazer that hikes in SNP every chance he gets , so maybe a new tradition can began.

atmilkman
12-24-2011, 13:47
I'm going with the FTA on their traditional Hickory Hammock New Years Day Hike. I've never done it with them. I did HH years and years ago. Anxious to see if and how things have changed. They say what you do on New Years Day sets the tone for the rest of the year. I hope this holds true for me. Oh yeah, this is a 9.2 linear.