PDA

View Full Version : 1 treking pole or two?

lkaluzi
12-26-2011, 10:50
Which do you prefer, using a pair of treking poles or just one? Does it really make a difference?

Ladytrekker
12-26-2011, 10:54
a pair but I have old knees

malowitz
12-26-2011, 11:15
A pair. 2x during my thru, I broke one and hiked a bit with just the in-tact one. Much preferable to have 2.

Rocket Jones
12-26-2011, 11:16
I've used a single and now I use two. I prefer two.

moytoy
12-26-2011, 11:17
a pair but I have old knees
+1 here.. and if you use them correctly two will be much easier to keep a rythm going. But if your 20 YO, trip and fit you may not need them at all.

max patch
12-26-2011, 11:30
You don't need any truth me told.

I hike with a real wood staff just to give myself something to do if that makes any sense. Using 2 slows me down. And every time I hike I eat an apple at the 4 mile point. Can't eat an apple while using 2 poles.

Furlough
12-26-2011, 11:40
I use to hike with a hickory stick I cut and fit to my liking. I still have it, but I hike with a pair of Leki's now. I am much faster when need be with 2 poles. I have no issue with hiking and eating. I just tuck one under my arm, eat with the free hand and keep on keeping on.
I like the additional stability of 2 poles when on rocky uneven tread, up and down hills and they come in handy for water and log crossings.

Furlough

johnnybgood
12-26-2011, 11:41
It's whatever you feel comfortable using . I either use 2 or 0 depending on the terrain .

Tenderheart
12-26-2011, 11:53
Can't eat an apple while using 2 poles.

Also, can't alternate a cold hand in your pocket while using two poles. Incidentally, I thru hiked with two poles, but now I use none. I found that I just didn't need them.

rusty bumper
12-26-2011, 12:07
After many years of hiking with none, I now use 2 all the time. I find them particularly useful on steep, rocky, rooty descents where they really help me with control. They're also very helpful when fording streams. There are times on rock climbs when they get in the way and I just carry them both in one hand, switching hands as necessary. Also on smooth, mild climbs or descents, I often just carry them in one hand...it's just makes for a nice break in the routine.

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 12:13
Two works best for me. I now have a tent that requires two poles knowing that I will always be backpacking with two.

moldy
12-26-2011, 13:33
They cause more falls than they stop, it's something else to trip over. With your hands in the straps it prevents you from using your hands to arrest your fall. They also won't help you climb up the hill any better. We are bi-peds, we walk upright on 2 legs. It won't shift the weight to your upper body. It's all an illusion. The only thing you get is the honor of lugging the extra weight of 2 sticks and the honor of being duped by equipment sellers. It's the perfect accessory to make the modern hiker look fashionable in the photos. They will soon be made by Gucci and cost a thousand dollars. More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.

max patch
12-26-2011, 14:26
They cause more falls than they stop, it's something else to trip over. With your hands in the straps it prevents you from using your hands to arrest your fall. They also won't help you climb up the hill any better. We are bi-peds, we walk upright on 2 legs. It won't shift the weight to your upper body. It's all an illusion. The only thing you get is the honor of lugging the extra weight of 2 sticks and the honor of being duped by equipment sellers. It's the perfect accessory to make the modern hiker look fashionable in the photos. They will soon be made by Gucci and cost a thousand dollars. More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.

But, but...all the hikers in Backpacker Magazine are using 2 poles and Backpacker Magazine knows all. :)

max patch
12-26-2011, 14:29
More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.

At least. I don't use the stupid things bit if I did the first thing I'd do would be to put my name on them somehow.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 14:38
So, um, if they aren't helpful and are only a recent fad, why do some of the earliest archaeological finds show evidence of humans using walking staffs / poles?

Seatbelt
12-26-2011, 15:02
I guess the same os true about a bicycle....that is until you learn how to properly use them.

Seatbelt
12-26-2011, 15:03
Referring to the "falling" of course.

max patch
12-26-2011, 15:03
So, um, if they aren't helpful and are only a recent fad, why do some of the earliest archaeological finds show evidence of humans using walking staffs / poles?

Protection against dinosaurs since bear bells hadn't been invented yet.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 15:18
Protection against dinosaurs since bear bells hadn't been invented yet.Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Malto
12-26-2011, 15:36
2, 1 or 0? It depends on a lot of factors.
1) Trail conditions. I find they are very handy on rough trail especially steep downhills.
2) Snow. If there is going to be snow on the route then poles are useful.
3) Stream crossings. VERY helpful on tough stream crossings.
4) Interaction with other gear. I use them for my tarp so not much weight penalty. I also have setup a quick tripod to hold my bivy screen off my face.
5) Personal preference. Some people can get a rythem, some can't.

If none of above factors were in play for me then I wouldn't take any poles. I personally don't see a point in using 1 poles other than entertainment.

Northern Lights
12-26-2011, 16:02
I use two, the few times I have taken a fall, it's been due to not watching where I was placing my big fat feet.

max patch
12-26-2011, 16:02
The bicycle someone mentioned above is a good analogy.

When you learn to ride a bike you fall a lot a first, so you add 2 training wheels. You now have 4 points of contact with the road so falling is not a concern as you learn to ride. Once you get more experienced and learn to balance yourself the training wheels actually impede the efficency of your riding and get in the way and slow you down. So at that point you take them off as they are no longer needed.

ChinMusic
12-26-2011, 16:09
Just fell yesterday coming down a short slick section while dayhiking. NO WAY would I have fallen if I had my poles.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 16:15
Fending off dinosaurs aside, I used to use a single staff/pole, but now have two poles, and wouldn't hike any tough terrain (like most stuff here in New England) without them. Very helpful especially on the downhills and stream crossings for balance. They also serve as tarp poles, camera mount, etc - and besides all that, I can wave them in disgust at shelters, hammocks, water filters, electronic devices, and anything else that I have a negative opinion on :D.

KimberVa
12-26-2011, 16:38

I guess Jennifer Pharr Davis could have done the trail faster than she did without carrying those two Easton poles HUH?

Tinker
12-26-2011, 16:47
Two, ever since I started using aluminum poles around 2002 or so. Sometimes I put them away, such as on steep climbs, and quite often when the blueberry bushes are growing right into the treadway, as well as when hiking on level pavement. I'd say I use them over 95% of the time. They help with leg fatigue and probably have prevented many a turned ankle and a few serious sprains, and they're very good to help you keep your balance on stream crossings until you get in about to your hips. Then you need to find a good long pole.

daddytwosticks
12-26-2011, 17:03
I use two of the "fads". When are we going to start arguing about hammocks or water filters? :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 17:05
I guess Jennifer Pharr Davis could have done the trail faster than she did without carrying those two Easton poles HUH?She probably needed them to push dinosaurs out of the way.

johnnybgood
12-26-2011, 17:07
Me and creek fording don't get along too good . With a stow-n-tow feature on my pack don't need them until I NEED them .

Blue Jay
12-26-2011, 18:42
I guess Jennifer Pharr Davis could have done the trail faster than she did without carrying those two Easton poles HUH?

I often wondered why those 100 mile off road running races do not require poles. How do they possibly manage?

Kookork
12-26-2011, 18:43
I always use two poles. They are extremly helpful when you know how to use them. Yet one is better than none IMHO.

Here is a website that shows you the technique of proper use of trekking poles.
http://www.pacerpole.com/

RossSFCA
12-26-2011, 19:04
I see the folks on the AT are using one stick or one pole... when I was on the JMT, the conditions changed from hour to hour (sometimes on snow, sometimes on rock, sometimes fording streams, etc.). I really found two to be effective... allowed me to keep my balance and only once or twice did they get stuck.

I think it is all a matter of personal preference. If you like to have a free hand, it is less convenient to have two. But I used those occasions where I needed a free hand (like taking a photo or getting a snack out of my pocket) as an excuse to stop and catch my breath. :)

Mine also collapsed easily, so I could tuck them into my backpack.

Ross/DirtyGirl

MidTenn Trekker
12-26-2011, 19:12
One or two poles also help in warmer weather with flicking snakes away or checking on possible snakes on the other sides of logs. I also like the extra propulsion they give me on uphill climbs. I will be staying with two poles for a while.

Spokes
12-26-2011, 19:34
All the talk abouts fads- too funny! If you listen to all the naysayers here we'd still be hiking in cotton tube socks, dungarees, and carrying sacks of pinto beans for the evening grub. heheheheheeeee....

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2011, 19:47
Even Poles use poles in Poland. You just can't argue with that.

Toolshed
12-26-2011, 20:40
I started using1 collapsible in my 30's after reconstructive knee surgery. I then switched to2 in my 40's. I find that there are times where I don't need or want one atall, but in my 50's, I like the flexibility of having 2 poles.. They come invery handy with balance on steep ascents and descents. I also find they aregreat to "hang off" of when I need a break for a minute or so. Iplant the poles at my toes and bend over and let the top of my pack lie on thepoles while I take a quick breather...

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2011, 22:02
After many years of hiking with none, I now use 2 all the time. I find them particularly useful on steep, rocky, rooty descents where they really help me with control. They're also very helpful when fording streams. There are times on rock climbs when they get in the way and I just carry them both in one hand, switching hands as necessary. Also on smooth, mild climbs or descents, I often just carry them in one hand...it's just makes for a nice break in the routine.+1 ... Two poles equals 4wd. I always bring them and probably use them 80% of the time and carry them in one hand 20% of the time. They're especially useful for saving your knees on downhills and at stream crossings.

EJC
12-26-2011, 22:08
It's whatever you feel comfortable using . I either use 2 or 0 depending on the terrain .

I second. I trip a lot, so 2 prevents me from doing a face plant. 0 if going up hill without rocks or other tripping hazards

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2011, 22:16
The bicycle someone mentioned above is a good analogy.When you learn to ride a bike you fall a lot a first, so you add 2 training wheels. You now have 4 points of contact with the road so falling is not a concern as you learn to ride. Once you get more experienced and learn to balance yourself the training wheels actually impede the efficency of your riding and get in the way and slow you down. So at that point you take them off as they are no longer needed.Even though I don't go anywhere without my poles, I do like your analogy. While I expect that there is a level of proficiency that one can attain that would render hiking poles useless, most hikers (including myself) are glorified weekend warriors. I spend a good amount of my life behind a desk and have done so since grade school, each day I sit watching as my stabilizer muscles atrophy, when I do get to the trail hiking poles help to make up for the fact that I don't live the kind of life the way my body was designed for. I do suspect that if I ever did a 6+ month hike I would find less of a need for poles at the end that I did at the beginning, but for now I'm sticking with them.

Doc Mike
12-26-2011, 23:06

Using your hands to stop a fall??? Keep it up that is very good for my line of work. I call it job security. Short arm cast are quick to apply and pay fairly well. Seriously if you fall(actually when you fall because you will) don't land on a out stretched hand the wrist will snap. Best case if possible land on your backpack.

I use 2 poles now and they have saved me from numerous falls.

Doc Mike

Summit
12-27-2011, 00:09
All the talk abouts fads- too funny! If you listen to all the naysayers here we'd still be hiking in cotton tube socks, dungarees, and carrying sacks of pinto beans for the evening grub. heheheheheeeee....Ditto! Even more than 90% of thru hikers are using backpacks to carry their stuff . . . another fad? Funny analogy indeed! :eek:

Summit
12-27-2011, 00:13
I love hearing the same numb-nuts anti-trekking pole arguments come up every time this severely over-worked subject comes up!

Spokes
12-27-2011, 00:24
Lmao.......

TOMP
12-27-2011, 16:18
I always bring 2, I like to hike fast in the Catskills and other rocky trails (AT in PA, NJ, NY) so its nice to not have to worry about turning an ankle. Also trekking poles are on sale at 30 percent off at REI.com right now.

lemon b
12-27-2011, 16:38
For years zero. Then the knees started speaking to me. Last year it was zero up hill and one downhill. Might even have to try using two even though I find them to be uncomfortable in that I like having a hand free at all times. Must just be one of those old dogs don't wanna learn new tricks.

canoehead
12-27-2011, 17:10
............................................2..... ..............................................

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2011, 17:37
But, but...all the hikers in Backpacker Magazine are using 2 poles and Backpacker Magazine knows all. :)

Not Funny - Max have you ever stuffed "Backpacker Magazine" into the advanced search with "titles only?:eek:

I was about say that most over the big 50 in age use two poles.... My dad is 75 and hates poles ( Old School)

but your joints get a break when you are putting some weight on all fours..... and here's the other reason
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/081808_041.jpg

SweetAss03
12-27-2011, 20:31
Depends entirely on the number of arms and hands said hikers owns.

Spokes
12-27-2011, 21:05
How y'all expect to roast marshmallows on the fire without poles?

quilteresq
12-27-2011, 21:10
Fending off dinosaurs aside, I used to use a single staff/pole, but now have two poles, and wouldn't hike any tough terrain (like most stuff here in New England) without them. Very helpful especially on the downhills and stream crossings for balance. They also serve as tarp poles, camera mount, etc - and besides all that, I can wave them in disgust at shelters, hammocks, water filters, electronic devices, and anything else that I have a negative opinion on :D.

Seriously - I bought a pair of trail runners and tried to hike 4000 footer up here. I had and pretty darned light pack as I stayed at a hut. After hiking in the trail runners, I went back to my Limmers for the Whites. Ouchie! When i do my thru hike, I may pick them up in Hanover, depending on what I'm wearing by then. Meanwhile, I'll experiment with various insoles as well.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2011, 21:14
Which do you prefer, using a pair of treking poles or just one? Does it really make a difference?i use none. never have, never will. i'm tough like that

garlic08
12-28-2011, 00:01
One or two can make a difference if you know how to use them. I'm an avid XC skier and have used poles for decades for both propulsion and balance. It's almost comical to watch some hikers with their poles. The poles are often just along for the ride and aren't doing a thing and sometimes get in the way.

It's impossible to generalize a 2200 mile hike and say one set of equipment is best for the whole trail. There are miles where poles are excellent things to have, and miles where they really get in the way and you're better off without them. And even that depends on how you use them.

The AT was the first time I'd hiked with two poles and in general, but not always, it seemed like the smart thing to do. I often backpack out West with only one pole, and never bring poles on day hikes.

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2011, 01:01
Seriously - I bought a pair of trail runners and tried to hike 4000 footer up here. I had and pretty darned light pack as I stayed at a hut. After hiking in the trail runners, I went back to my Limmers for the Whites. Ouchie! When i do my thru hike, I may pick them up in Hanover, depending on what I'm wearing by then. Meanwhile, I'll experiment with various insoles as well.I switch back and forth between lightweight boots(Asolo FSN95) and low hiking shoes, (currently Vasque Breeze), which I tend to wear as my everyday shoes as well, so I go through a pair or so in less than a year. I have mixed emotions on which is best in this area of the country (New England), which tends to have pretty rough and often slippery trail conditions. I like the support of the boots when hiking over rocks and roots and such, and think they offer somewhat better traction as well, but I can feel the difference in weight at the end of the day also. Every choice has its compromises. I've also found that the LLBean Hikers (both high and low versions) have some of the best traction (soles) of any out there, but the uppers don't last as well and tend to spread and you lose support. I'm still searching for the perfect shoe.

SwitchbackVT
12-28-2011, 03:10
Definitely want 2 poles. Much easier to pole-vault over long muddy sections, block poison ivy leaves from your legs, snag snickers wrappers off the ground, propel yourself up onto fallen trees which cross the trail, give yourself 4WD on icy or hazardous terrain, provide balance to your teetering 50 lb backpack full of hotdogs and beer in the Shenendoah, etc, etc... My poles saved me many, many times on my thru. ALSO sabotaged me once or twice too. You'll have that. Also, I'm pretty sure trekking poles help you snag rides while hitch hiking, at least in some towns.

Also trekking poles are on sale at 30 percent off at REI.com right now.

Yes they are, I just replaced my poles today. After my thru my BD's were totalled. Too much pole vaulting!

PJWetzel
12-28-2011, 03:44
Definitely want 2 poles. Much easier to pole-vault over long muddy sections, block poison ivy leaves from your legs, snag snickers wrappers off the ground, propel yourself up onto fallen trees which cross the trail, give yourself 4WD on icy or hazardous terrain, provide balance to your teetering 50 lb backpack full of hotdogs and beer in the Shenendoah, etc, etc... My poles saved me many, many times on my thru. ALSO sabotaged me once or twice too. You'll have that. Also, I'm pretty sure trekking poles help you snag rides while hitch hiking, at least in some towns.

Everything you said, plus in tall grass and weeds I push them in front of me close to the ground and 'sweep' for waiting ticks.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-28-2011, 16:50
two saved me from taking a bad fall in the 100 mile wilderness

Comet Omega
12-28-2011, 19:19
Two poles saved me from being attacked by two dogs that the owner had let off leash! They tried to bite, but a carbide tip to the face prevented them from doing so long enough for the owner to get them leashed.

Summit
12-28-2011, 20:34
They cause more falls than they stop, it's something else to trip over. With your hands in the straps it prevents you from using your hands to arrest your fall. They also won't help you climb up the hill any better. We are bi-peds, we walk upright on 2 legs. It won't shift the weight to your upper body. It's all an illusion. The only thing you get is the honor of lugging the extra weight of 2 sticks and the honor of being duped by equipment sellers. It's the perfect accessory to make the modern hiker look fashionable in the photos. They will soon be made by Gucci and cost a thousand dollars. More than 90% of all AT hikers have fallen for this fad.Wow! The sum of the posts show that this post is just wrong . . . the product of an anti-trekking pole cult mindset.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2011, 20:37
Wow! The sum of the posts show that this post is just wrong . . . the product of an anti-trekking pole cult mindset.have you ever walked day after day through the woods without sticks carrying a pack?

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2011, 20:53
Yeah, these pro and anti pole cults are getting out of hand. Pretty soon both sides will be singing songs and wearing funny hats . . .

Summit
12-28-2011, 21:03
have you ever walked day after day through the woods without sticks carrying a pack?Yes, for the first 34 years of backpacking, I didn't use a stick or poles. I hiked thousands of miles without them. In fact I spent years smirking at trekking pole users. Then I hiked with a guy who swore by them. Then I tried them . . .

Summit
12-28-2011, 21:11
Yeah, these pro and anti pole cults are getting out of hand. Pretty soon both sides will be singing songs and wearing funny hats . . .I'm thinking about getting a T-shirt made - "Real hikers use trekking poles" OK, that's corny and very unoriginal! :)

bamboo bob
12-28-2011, 21:41
I use two poles. I have used two poles for many miles. They idea that they cause falls is something I have never experienced. I have stopped falls dozens of times. Andrew Skurka used a pole to scare a grizzly away. I have used them to prop up a tarp and cross thigh deep freezing water. Wooden staff are way heavier. I understand all the poor mouth talkers not wanting to spend the money on poles but one set will last a very long time. I have had them refurbished and repointed for free numerous times (occasionally I've paid for points). another hike your own hike decision but for me and anyone over forty a set of two poles is a big help for your knees. Those of you who still have cartilage in your knees can prpbably go faster without poles if going faster is your goal.

prain4u
12-29-2011, 00:14
I usually use one trekking pole or one wooden hiking staff. I like being able to eat snacks (trail mix dried fruit, jerky etc) as I hike. I also like taking some photos. It is easier to do such things if I have just one trekking pole or one walking staff. I like having the ability to "rest" one arm for a while--by switching which hand I carry the trekking pole in.

Kookork
12-29-2011, 02:09
i use none. never have, never will. i'm tough like that

It is a matter of personal preference as somebody said before but I don't think not using them is a sign of being tough.
How do you know about the advantages and disadvantages of hiking with trekking poles when you have never used them before?

joshuasdad
12-29-2011, 11:49
Two -- mainly for knees, ankles, and stream crossings, but they also help on some uphills as well. They can be a pain on rock scrambles, climbing over blowdowns, and can cause trips on occasion -- but there is no way I would have hiked as much as I have in the past four months without them.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2011, 11:55
It is a matter of personal preference as somebody said before but I don't think not using them is a sign of being tough.
How do you know about the advantages and disadvantages of hiking with trekking poles when you have never used them before?i've tried them. several times. they ain't for me

Summit
12-29-2011, 11:58
It is a matter of personal preference . . .Exactly! I have no problem with anyone saying "I don't like using them," or "I don't care for them," but when the non-user puts the user down and belittles them by saying trekking poles are "an illusion," a "fad," they provide no benefit, when thousands of users are experiencing the benefits beyond any doubt, that's just, well, a cult is the only thing somewhat nice I can ascribe to it!

d.o.c
12-29-2011, 12:42
I day hike with one pole and i use both when i have a full backpack.. i cant stand hiking without them i feel like im missing a part of me..

Alathar
12-31-2011, 00:04
When I started hiking, I was obese, and my knees couldn't handle the effort without the aid of poles... Now, I'm on my ideal weight and I keep using them fir several reasons:

They help to keep a steady pace while going uphill.
Provide more grip points while going downhill
I hike mostly alone, so every safety measure is a must.
Wit.h proper training, they no longer slow you down. In fact, there are several conditions: steep slopes, mud, snow, where i can go much faster with poles than without them.

Slacks
12-31-2011, 00:41
Beyond the testimonial evidence supporting poles, there is simple physics to keep in mind. Backpacking implies added weight in a specific area creating a compensatory reaction. This comes in the form of a forward shift in center of gravity, or leaning forward. This lean intensifies the knee and back problems alleviated by using trekking poles.

Lighter loads, proper posture and good physique reduce the need for poles, though their benefits can still be realized.

Another matter entirely is the issue of adding weight to poles (eg. duct tape). Why anyone would want to move weight from a supported pack to an object lifted thousands of times is beyond me...

quietly
12-31-2011, 02:24
One collapsible pole, often lashed to the back of my pack and not in use. I am on the large side, the weight is negligible. Very handy for water crossings in the Smokies, and most useful as a pole for my tarp. I do have a beautiful hardwood hiking pole my Pop made for me, hand grip wrapped with 550 for multi-use, but it is heavy and I keep that gift at home, I love it too much to slog through mud with it. BTW, falling happens, poles or not. An experienced hiker will tell you, just go down, try to land on your pack or butt. Flail about, poles or not, you will be visiting Doc Mike.

aakers
01-02-2012, 22:04
I tried it with one (not the AT) and decided right away two would be the way to go! I felt the pain in one side of my body but not the other!

Del Q
01-02-2012, 22:19
I was in PA, years ago, early AT section hiking days for Q.................a thru hiker heading south simply stated, on a brief AT hiker break...........4 WHEEL DRIVE, why not?

Made sense to me.

For me two poles are a huge advantage, they have saved my old butt many, many times..............knee-friendly on the downs,, now that I have learned how to properly use the straps I can go a lot faster on the flats.

Overall a plus, could not imagine heading out without them.............anyway, I need one for my tarptent and one for .......................

Tenderheart
01-03-2012, 12:44

Very well put. I just became a fan of yours, but be prepared to get blasted.

Summit
01-03-2012, 13:55
Just goes to prove "there's a lid for every skillet!" :D

cabbagehead
02-19-2012, 02:23
I did 600 miles, and then got poles. I wish I started with them because my knees were killing me.

MJW155
02-19-2012, 03:35

LOL. This is just too funny. To say they don't help is just LOL.

I mean if you want to say poles are a scam b/c you can use 2 sticks, that's fine. But to say it's a scam b/c they don't help at all is just ignorance. It is ALWAYS better to have 3 contact points w/ the ground at all times.

Kookork
02-19-2012, 03:41
I use two because I have only two hands, I would have used three if I had three hands.

What did I just say? I said it anyway.

strollingalong
02-19-2012, 03:53
I use three.

Shut up.

I win.

strollingalong
02-19-2012, 03:53
damn, repeat.

I lose.

Live_for_hiking
02-19-2012, 12:08
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100602121000.htm

I don't currently use poles. I will start this summer and WILL be comfy with them by my 2013 hike.

rjjones
02-19-2012, 12:52
Trekking poles and falling.I have tripped many times,not because of my two poles but usualy at the end of the day due to not picking my feet up{just plain tired}.Thank god for my trekking poles.Otherwise i'd have many scars to brag about.But i'm sure they are good for some and others dont need them.A useless fad??:-?

Kookork
02-19-2012, 14:32
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100602121000.htm

I don't currently use poles. I will start this summer and WILL be comfy with them by my 2013 hike.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Leki..:).

Rusty Nail
02-19-2012, 15:49
dos lekis for me

WalksInDark
02-19-2012, 16:18
+1, dos lekis for me, also.

The way I see it: trekking poles are like martinis and breasts....one is not enough....and surely three is too many!

BTW, DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS INTO THE STRAPS EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE CARRYING YOUR POLES. Does anyone know why the trekking pole manufacturers have not made the straps on their poles quick disconnect (like some of the straps on ski poles) when subject to high stress forces?

Orthopedic surgeons love to get to repair all of the damaged thumbs (and, sometimes other fingers as well) that get injured if you fall while your hands are trapped in your trekking pole's straps.

BradMT
02-20-2012, 09:30
I've used poles, ice axes, ski poles, staffs... my favorite is a simple cane. Old-School or new... I find having one hand free better than having two poles in my hands.

Also, one trekking pole feels awkward... they're really made to be used tandem. A cane's design is such that it's perfect by itself.

Also, no "anti-shock" gimmickry for me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1020226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1000234.jpg

Papa D
02-20-2012, 10:07
I've hiked with and without - I prefer to hike with poles - my new ones are the BD Z-Poles - they are very light and fold away when you aren't using them (on your pack) -- I've been running kids adventure programs including backpacking programs where teenagers do pretty long distances and I like to outfit them for success so I provide poles -- my collection includes old poles of mine, poles that I have found broken and repaired, etc. One great source of acceptable (if you are on the cheap) poles is ski resorts in the late spring - I've found perfectly good poles in dumpsters behind ski-rental places (of course they don't colapse but they won't malfunction either).

I'm also not too worried about posinous snakes - I leave them alone (like you should) but I have hiked a ton in very snaky areas and I always feel better - especially in sunny grassy areas in the summer with my poles out in front of me.

QiWiz
02-20-2012, 18:19
Two - four wheel drive, baby!

louisb
02-20-2012, 18:51
For those using a single pole or staff what is your preferred material or maker if you bought it? I tried using two poles and hated.

--louis

Sarcasm the elf
02-20-2012, 19:12
+1, dos lekis for me, also.

The way I see it: trekking poles are like martinis and breasts....one is not enough....and surely three is too many!

BTW, DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS INTO THE STRAPS EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE CARRYING YOUR POLES. Does anyone know why the trekking pole manufacturers have not made the straps on their poles quick disconnect (like some of the straps on ski poles) when subject to high stress forces?
Orthopedic surgeons love to get to repair all of the damaged thumbs (and, sometimes other fingers as well) that get injured if you fall while your hands are trapped in your trekking pole's straps.

Because the straps are not meant for your hands, they are meant for your wrists. The straps are meant to transfer weight from your wrists to the poles, when used correctly your hands should be used to position the poles, not to take the force of your stride. I often use my hiking poles with only my thumb and index finger and palm making contact, the rest of the work is done with the wrist strap.

If your straps are cinched tight enough to easily trap your fingers then you're using them incorrectly. Loosen your straps and play around with them, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the difference it makes.

Rayo
02-20-2012, 20:47
I don't always use poles, but when I do I use dos lekis. Stay balanced my friends. :cool:

Whiskey
02-20-2012, 20:47
I like to carry a shoulder height, ironwood staff. Not that I think one or two or none is better while walking, but because I believe hitting a would-be-idiot in the mouth with my wooden staff is more effective than hitting them in the mouth with an ultralight trekking pole.

A wooden hiking staff is still legal to carry in all state and national parks. I wish I could take my mind to the peaceful, non-threatening world that some hikers live in, but I have run into too many tweekers and weirdos to go to the woods with my 13 year old daughter completely unarmed.

TOMP
02-21-2012, 00:53
I wish I could take my mind to the peaceful, non-threatening world that some hikers live in, but I have run into too many tweekers and weirdos to go to the woods with my 13 year old daughter completely unarmed.

I just carry pepper spray, its light, concealable, effective, and I have a little holster for mine that I attach to my hip belt the whole thing is 1.5 oz. I worry more about being attacked by someones pet (especially when I am hiking with my puppy) than a person. And pepper spray is a nice defense without doing any long term damage to anyone's pet.

Lugh
03-01-2012, 06:13
I can see the benefit of 2 poles..but i still like using a good old hiking stick..i dunno. It has more character.

moocow
03-01-2012, 06:39
i started hiking with two trekking poles. loved them. but i had a warm up hike that my wife wanted to join me on but she has bad knees so i gave them to her for the day. wow! i found out that the trekking poles were only slowing me down. my fears of tripping disappeared. i still want to carry them for extreme grade uphills and downhills and the occasional stream crossing. but other than that i think they will just be hanging on my pack most of the time. i found out that they're a lot like camp shoes. nobody really needs them all the time, but even if you don't switch shoes at camp, they sure do come in handy at slippery stream crossings. it really comes down to a weight/benefit analysis. what do you find as a priority.

moocow
03-01-2012, 06:45
one benefit to carrying a single staff. it is insanely superior for smacking raccoons and possums, that camp dog that the bad owner allows to sniff and take other peoples foods, not to mention a few of those disrespectful idiots themselves.

i do not condone cruelty to animals. i'm just saying that staff shaped sticks sound like they might work for someone so inclined to do so.

English Stu
03-01-2012, 08:02
Two poles, a staff on a day hike. I did a 700 miles section on the AT as my first section and started with no poles, after a while I cut a staff, got a knee tweak for few days and then got two poles ,sorted. Used two ever since.

More than 90% of all AT hikers use them, and a similar response on here, the evidence is overwhelming.

I wish I had bought shares in Leki though.

Drybones
03-01-2012, 09:59
I was a one pole hiker until a friend I was going to the Weminuche Wilderness with pursuaded me to try two, said she would carry it if I did not like it. She was correct, two poles worked much better. I'm not sure why but the biggest difference using two is that my pack wore better, didn't bug me like it did with one pole.

Pages
03-01-2012, 11:26
it's funny this has come up again as i'm am starting a thru the end of march and have decides NOT to take poles. my reasoning is this: if my pack is light enough, i don't mow down the miles, and pay attention, i shouldn't need them. they do come in handy at times and i have used them most of the time in flat florida. but i have found they just get in the way a lot of the time when you need your hands free, and they are extra weight on your pack when you are not using them. i figure if i need something for support at some point, i've heard there are these things all along the trail called "branches."

but then again, i'm not bring crocs either...always the nonconformist...

if i find i absolutely NEED poles or crocs, i'll pick them up along the way.

TV

ChinMusic
03-01-2012, 12:11
if i find i absolutely NEED poles or crocs, i'll pick them up along the way.

TV
How true. So simple and true.

bgood360
03-01-2012, 14:30
Eh, I don't see it as a zero-sum game. Trekking poles are merely a tool -- sometimes you use them and sometimes you don't. I carry an alcohol stove, but I don't keep it lit the entire time I have it. Same with the trekking poles: I have two and sometimes I use both, sometimes just one, and sometimes none. It just depends on the conditions.

Now that I'm using an awesome tent (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=10&zenid=2123f956fe717e443c9801022bb05c99) that utilizes trekking poles instead of traditional tent poles, I carry two poles, but my pack (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/superlight/exos_46) fortunately has a convenient setup on which to hang my trekking poles when they aren't in use.

Nooga
03-01-2012, 21:11
I use two. It seems every time I hiked with one pole, it was always in the wrong hand if I slipped. Often when hiking on a side slope, I will step on a root obscured by leaves that is running down hill. My foot will slip and to catch myself, the trekking pole needs to be in the up hill hand.

Biggie Master
03-01-2012, 23:10
2 hands = 2 poles... I use them for all the reasons previously posted - knee support on downhills, extra push on uphills, balance and stability - especially late in the day when fatigue starts to settle in... I hiked for years without them, but now I wouldn't leave home without them. It's like everything else, a personal choice.

MuddyWaters
03-01-2012, 23:23
Two poles. They establish rhythm, help dramatically with uphills and downhills, maintain balance for water crossings and rock hopping, and most importantly.....hold my tent up! I get bored/tired easier without them. Its truly 4WD when the going gets uneven.

Plodderman
03-02-2012, 00:11
I use one but tried two during last years section hike from Springer but after that I hike I went back to one. This past years starting from Harpers Ferry I used one and for me it just more comfortable and I still keep my balnace and speed.