PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Shock Problems

UCONNMike
03-10-2005, 02:09
I just got a pair of Leki Makalu Ultralite Ti COR-TEC AS trekking poles, and they seem to have a few problems...First is that the springs for the anti-shock seem to be a bit stiff, they aren't very bouncy and actually take a bit of effort to get them to expand and contract. Second, the straps on the handles seem to have been installed upside down, since when i place my hands through the loops, the wicking band is on the ouside. I you can picture it and/or have seen it you can tell someone messed up. The real problem however is that I had RITBlake get them for me through a friend he knows that works at an outdoors shop that just went outta business (Galyans) and i have no recipt or purchase info. cna i still send them to Leki for maintanance? Or does anyone have any solutions to my pole troubles?
-thanks

Thumper 2006
03-10-2005, 02:18
Even though this is gonna suck you can try this. Unscrew the bolt on the top of the pole and pull the strap all the way out and install it the way it is supposed to be. I may seem tricky but you will figure it out, also the reason the spring is not working might be because you do not have it activated. Try screwing the upper shaft of the pole all far as it will go, then push up and turn it to the left you should feel it go into position. Hope this helps

hikerjohnd
03-10-2005, 07:37
When I ordered my Leki poles (from ProLite Gear) I had a LONG conversation with someone there (I can't remember his name now) and he said 99% of the people using Leki's wore the strap the wrong way... Once I got my poles the way he said to put the strap seemed weird at first, but once I tried them on correctly I could feel the extra oomphf (is that the technical term?) just walking around the neighborhood! You may want to consult Leki (or the guys at ProLite (http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/index.html)) and be sure you are wearing the strap correctly.

--John :cool:

bearbag hanger
03-10-2005, 08:51
I just got a pair of Leki Makalu Ultralite Ti COR-TEC AS trekking poles, and they seem to have a few problems...First is that the springs for the anti-shock seem to be a bit stiff, they aren't very bouncy and actually take a bit of effort to get them to expand and contract. Second, the straps on the handles seem to have been installed upside down, since when i place my hands through the loops, the wicking band is on the ouside. I you can picture it and/or have seen it you can tell someone messed up. The real problem however is that I had RITBlake get them for me through a friend he knows that works at an outdoors shop that just went outta business (Galyans) and i have no recipt or purchase info. cna i still send them to Leki for maintanance? Or does anyone have any solutions to my pole troubles?
-thanks

I know the outfitter at Kent, CT is pretty good with Leki's. Looks like about an hour and twenty min drive from where you are. The guy at the outfitters fixed mine without any charge while I was on a thru hike. I had bent both shafts on a fall a couple days earlier. Sounds like your straps might be backwards, but hikerjohnd might be right. The springs are stiff and will be for a long time. Mine didn't loosen up until I'd used them for maybe 600 - 700 miles. Also, be careful not to break them. The Ti models seem to break a lot quicker than the aluminum ones do. The Ti ones break, the aluminum ones bend.

J.D.
03-10-2005, 09:09
Don't have Leki's... But, the other responses seem to be correct.

You "may" have the straps on correctly and not "wearing" them the way intended. Try it wearing them the "weird way" which may in fact be the way you're suppoed to...<g>... My inexpensive R.E.I. pole straps seemed very strange at first.

The "shock" / "spring" action is very stiff on every pair of poles I have played with... Supposed to be that way and they will loosen up about the time you hit Damascus NoBo....<g>....

BookBurner
03-10-2005, 14:29
As I sit here looking at my Leki pole, I can put the wriststrap cushion on the outside or inside of the loop with a simple twist/flip of the strap. The correct position is one in which the cushion on the bottom strap (as it comes out of the grip) is facing in to the loop. Once it is in this position, send your hand up through the loop and then grab the pole grip. Your hand should now be resting on top of the strap as you grip the pole with the cushion lying against your hand all the way around. If this doesn't work, maybe you do have a defect.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

RockyTrail
03-10-2005, 14:49
I have some aluminum Makalu poles with the cork grips. They work great except I don't like the spring thing. If you take the sections apart you will see a slot that the spring pin rides in. I took some 12 gauge electrical house wire (romex) and cut a short piece to fit snug in the slot to keep the pin from moving. Now they are solid the way they oughta be, with no spring action (this mod is reversible).

The loops may be twisted, try un-twisting it. The correct way to use them is with the heel of the hand pushing down in the loop, that way your fingers only guide the pole and don't have to do a death grip on the pole. The instructions show this technique, if you don't have them try their website.

woody49
03-10-2005, 18:01
Mixing copper wire with an aluminum pole is not a good practice in my opinion.........dissimilar metals with water mixed in may mean sortened life for the aluminum poles! The copper will "eat" the aluminum.

Slaughter
03-10-2005, 19:05
There are some nice photos of proper pole loop use here:

http://trekkingpoles.com/howtouse.htm

...your weight should be on the ball of your hand, and not on the pole grip. Maybe that helps. :sun

RockyTrail
03-10-2005, 23:03
the slot is actually black plastic, not aluminum (only the pole body itself is Al) so dissimilar metal corrosion is not a problem, plus leave the insulation on the short piece of wire, it fits better that way. Two years plus in all sorts of weather has not been a problem.

hiker5
03-11-2005, 10:12
Slaughter,
Thanks for posting that link. I do not yet have trekking poles, but I'm glad I've seen the "right" way to use them before I tried some out.

I also have a question, do those of you who use trekking poles actually adjust the length for ups and downs? I get the feeling I would only want to adjust them for exceptionally long or steep uphill or downhill sections.

SGT Rock
03-11-2005, 10:20
I've been using trekking poles wrong for 5 years :eek:

Youngblood
03-11-2005, 11:55
Slaughter,
...I also have a question, do those of you who use trekking poles actually adjust the length for ups and downs? I get the feeling I would only want to adjust them for exceptionally long or steep uphill or downhill sections.
I only have adjusted the lengths for hiking a time or two and that was going down particular sections in the White Mountains of New Hamshire where I would adjust them to their full length... and they still weren't long enough to suit me. It one of those situations where I was fearful for my life because in general it is too much bother for not much gain..

Youngblood

Footslogger
03-11-2005, 12:00
I also have a question, do those of you who use trekking poles actually adjust the length for ups and downs? I get the feeling I would only want to adjust them for exceptionally long or steep uphill or downhill sections.========================================= ====
I have never adjusted the length of my trekking poles since I've owned them. If I need added length for downhills I take my wrists out of the straps and "palm" the top of the handles. About the only time I change the length of my poles is to collapse them for travel/storage or for cleaning.

Oh yeah ...and my poles do have the anti-shock feature but I keep them on the "spring" setting the whole time I am hiking. When I first got them I would go back and forth between the spring and lock out settings but never really did notice a huge difference and lost interest in constantly making those adjustments.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Brock
03-11-2005, 13:07
I have much the same info already posted.

I just purchased my first pair of trek poles (REI brand).
I have heard that Leki has EXCELLENT customer service.
Use this site: http://www.trekkingpoles.com/howtouse.htm
My new poles seem stiff with almost as much travel with the shock turned off as it is turned on. I guess they just need to be broken in.
I noticed that both my REI poles were set up for lefthanders meaning that the shaped cushion on the strap was wrong on one of them. I simply fixed it and they feel very confortable. Can't wait to really put them to use (got em for one of my poles on my Tarptent Squall).

RockyTrail
03-11-2005, 15:22
Looks like I've been using trekking poles "wrong" for almost 3 years :eek:
The trekking poles link that shows how to use the strap- it's interesting but I use them the way it says NOT to and it works great, always has. Push down with the heel of the hand into the loop with your fingers lightly guiding the poles.

And I have disagree with them, you will not lose control and get fatigued that way. I never have.
In fact I just tried out the way they suggest and not only does it do a tourniquet job on your hands, but I would not want to be that tangled up in them if something bad happens and you take a tumble...Oh well, to each his own, and as always YMMV:sun

sleeveless
03-11-2005, 21:39
I also have been using the poles wrong for years. I don't use the straps at all. I use my hands on top when going down steep, rocky mts. I hardly ever change the height. I do have the cork handles that are angled and like them much better than the handles that are in line with the pole.:datz

lbbrown
03-11-2005, 22:07
Has anyone checked out the PACERPOLES that are carried by ULA? They are the only ones I have seen that have ergonomic handles that actually fit your hand. They are made in England. The site also has a link that explains the physiological benefit of using Pacerpoles for hiking. ULA is the U.S. distributor and sells them for $125.

Blue Jay
03-11-2005, 23:35
I just got a pair of Leki Makalu Ultralite Ti COR-TEC AS trekking poles, and they seem to have a few problems...First is that the springs for the anti-shock seem to be a bit stiff...Second, the straps on the handles seem to have been installed upside down, since when i place my hands through the loops, the wicking band is on the ouside.

Oh my god, now we know what happened to those 4 guys in the Smokies. It wasn't cotton that almost killed them , their hiking poles were too stiff. Plus with their wicking band on the outside their hands got wet and they didn't stand a chance.

smokymtnsteve
03-11-2005, 23:39
i have a pair of powder ridge poles that i go snowshoeing with, also they went on the 1,000 mile YUKONQUEST dog sled race..they work fine,, they cost me only $25 usd

Nightwalker
03-12-2005, 00:24
And I have disagree with them, you will not lose control and get fatigued that way. I never have.
In fact I just tried out the way they suggest and not only does it do a tourniquet job on your hands, but I would not want to be that tangled up in them if something bad happens and you take a tumble...Oh well, to each his own, and as always YMMV:sun
I believe in HYOH, but if you try them the "right" way for ten miles or so, with the straps not overly tight, you'd probably never go back.

Slaughter
03-12-2005, 17:59
I've never adjusted my pole lengths while hiking...I do like the "correct" strap position though, as I've caught myself falling quite a few times just because my weight was already on the strap instead of the grip, which I'm sure would have slipped out of my hand otherwise...but it probably doesn't make as much difference as some instructional sites would have you believe. Other than saving my knees, I use the poles mostly to avoid losing upper body mass while hiking long distances. It's amazing how fast you lose all your arm muscles if you don't use 'em out there. :sun

orangebug
03-12-2005, 19:03
I adjust mine several times daily - longer for downhills and shorter for uphills. I also frequently collapse them for storage on level trail. I see them as an aid in balance and of some help in climbing using upper body, but I haven't ever felt that much of an upper body workout has occurred with their use.

UCONNMike
03-12-2005, 19:25
There are some nice photos of proper pole loop use here:

http://trekkingpoles.com/howtouse.htm

...your weight should be on the ball of your hand, and not on the pole grip. Maybe that helps. :sun
Holy crow...haha, I've been doing it wrong for a year now with my old poles. I guess it took the Leki special cushiony straps for me to see that, not to mention this informative website. Thanks a bunch, the whole strap situation makes sense now. All I have to do now is break in the anti-shock springs.

Alligator
03-12-2005, 21:38
Me too, I've been using mine wrong for about 6 or 7 years. I never get fatigued though, but plan on trying the "correct" method. It just doesn't seem right after all these years. I'm concerned that the strap might create friction the way it sits near the thumb, I'll just have to see how it works out.

UCONNMike
03-13-2005, 01:02
Waah! My wicking sweatband is on backwards! I'll never be able to walk a step on the AT, let alone make it to maine! My springs aren't springy enough! My feet won't be able to move! :bse
Dude, chill out and stop stressing. Everything will be fine.
Thanks...I'll look into that

Critterman
03-14-2005, 23:37
There is a great DVD titled " Hiking Poles : tips and techiques for all ages and abilities " available at REI. I got it after a about 2 years of using poles and learned the " right way " . It seemed weird to put your hands up through the straps but it works alot better especially going down hill. The people who make the DVD also have a website.

http://www.AdventureBuddies.net

VAMTNHIKER
03-15-2005, 08:39
I forgot who/where I learned my method... but it turns out I am using the "right" method...

I am used to it and it helps to pivot the poles in my hand with minimal pressure from my hands as I swing ...

I rarely modify the length and maintain the anti-shock at max level.

Used them during my 60 mile trek in New Mexico this last summer; three sets were used daily to set up our crew tarp (sil-nylon of course!).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2901

My son had a part break (the lower plastic cam)... didn't realize the Leki had a spare in the handle until about two days later (teenagers/scouts will take anything apart!)... checked mine...sure enough there was one there. Be warned though... on the Leki (at least my set) the lower plastic cam is smaller than the upper cam.

Alligator
03-15-2005, 09:42
Was hoping to find a spare in my handle but no luck. Mine are fairly old. Reminds me of a long road trip I took years ago with a buddy. He kept mentioning the bulb was dead in his Mag light and that he needed a new one. Since he had a spare flashlight it wasn't pressing, and we kept forgetting to pick up the spare bulb. His spare though was a scuba flashlight, a six volt, bright but heavy, which he backpacked with into Glacier. Several weeks later we finally remembered to buy a spare, which came in a two pack. He said what should he do with the extra bulb? I told him to put it where the spare goes, under the spring. What a hoot watching him pull the spring out. He'd had the mag light for years, just never noticed the spare.

RockyTrail
03-15-2005, 16:40
VaMtnHiker:
Very interesting, thanks for the tip about the hidden spare parts in the poles, I will check that out.

What trek did you do at Philmont, we did #5 in 2003; Crater Lake, Black Mtn, Beabien, Mt Phillips, Cito, Tooth Ridge among others. One of my favorite places, ICWTGBTP!:sun

VAMTNHIKER
03-15-2005, 18:15
2004 - #9 Valle Vidal... Baldy... Baldy Skyline... Ponil
...saw a lot of the burned out area... it was great to share Baldy with my son! :)

in '69 I went south (Trail Peak, Beaubien, Rayado)

'71.. Central to Baldy.. back to Ponil