PDA

View Full Version : Oboz, anyone care to give pros and cons??

House of Payne
12-26-2011, 19:47
I have a couple years left to my thru in 13'. I have been getting some good advice with the fairly new Oboz brand of shoe. I am considering purchasing a pair for a years trial with local trips. Anyone have anything they can share?? thanks...

burger
12-26-2011, 20:11
1) Wear trail runners. They're vastly easier on your feet and your legs than boots.

2) Don't worry about brand--just fine something that fits. Ultimately, all shoes are only as good as their fit.

House of Payne
12-26-2011, 20:21
I have optioned trail runners, but due to my weight (215 lb. plus a 35 +/- lb pack) and the abuse I put on shoes/boots I am leaning towards mids or high tops for support and longevity. In the past, and sometimes now on short trips I will wear my Kaylands, despite the weight they are very supportive and grip well on wet surfaces (nothing more than a weekend trip)
I'm aware that a typical pair of shoes will last me probably 1/3 of the thru, so I know a pair of ridge runners will not work for me, maybe if I was 185 lbs or so. Anyways, This is the direction i will be comfortable with, I have time to run through a few pair and decide what will work best.

mikec
12-26-2011, 20:45
I've read that Oboz was started by the person that founded Montrail. I have had Montrails in the past and was pleased with them. I am due for a new pair of hiking boots and may look at Oboz myself.

leaftye
12-26-2011, 21:27
I'm heavier than you and started my hike last year with a heavier pack, and even on day 1 I preferred lightweight shoes. Actually, I on day 1 was used racing flats for part of the day, not trail running shoes. Racing flats are more minimalist than most trail running shoes. I didn't have any bruising at all, which is the complaint many people have when they switch to minimalist shoes. Also, mid/high shoes are not going to last longer. Why would you think that? The main thing that determines longevity in hiking footwear is the type of foam in the midsole: EVA or polyurethane. EVA is used in most lightweight to midweight boots, with polyurethane being reserved for use in higher end full leather boots. The only Oboz boot with a polyurethane midsole is their top of the line boot, with everything else having an EVA midsole. As far as support, don't count on getting it from mid/high top boots. The support is minimal, but that support is often wasted since stiff boots encourage many walkers to walk poorly. That is, they walk on rocks. The result is a net increase in ankle strain, which means an increased chance of injury on a long walk. Trail running shoes are softer and more flexible, which benefits the walker in two ways. First, the sole flexes, so if you step on a rock, the foot deforms, which reduces the strain left for the ankle to absorb. Secondly, because the sole is soft, it discourages stepping on rocks.

Another thing to consider is that by training with "supportive" footwear, you are making a choice to deprive your feet and ankles from opportunities to grow stronger. Isn't the point of training to grow stronger? While I do recommend using footwear in training that will encourage the strengthening of your feet and ankles, I do have to warn you to take it easy. It can take many months for the bones in your feet and for the rest of the soft tissue around your feet and ankles to get strong enough to handle less supportive shoes. Damaged connective tissues can take half a year to a full year to heal. So keep in mind that training too hard can cause huge set backs in your training schedule and may even force you to push back your thru hike.

Summit
12-26-2011, 23:34
I bought a pair of Oboz a couple of years back. I found them to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn! Unfortunately, they were too slipery for serious backpacking, so I used them for daily exercise walking around home. The soles wore out extremely fast. They don't use Vibram. I prefer a cross-trainer shoe such as the Merrell Moab Ventilator. They're relatively cheap and last for many miles. Your mileage may vary due to your feet anatomy.

ChrisJackson
12-26-2011, 23:43
I'm heavier than you and started my hike last year with a heavier pack, and even on day 1 I preferred lightweight shoes. Actually, I on day 1 was used racing flats for part of the day, not trail running shoes. Racing flats are more minimalist than most trail running shoes. I didn't have any bruising at all, which is the complaint many people have when they switch to minimalist shoes. Also, mid/high shoes are not going to last longer. Why would you think that? The main thing that determines longevity in hiking footwear is the type of foam in the midsole: EVA or polyurethane. EVA is used in most lightweight to midweight boots, with polyurethane being reserved for use in higher end full leather boots. The only Oboz boot with a polyurethane midsole is their top of the line boot, with everything else having an EVA midsole. As far as support, don't count on getting it from mid/high top boots. The support is minimal, but that support is often wasted since stiff boots encourage many walkers to walk poorly. That is, they walk on rocks. The result is a net increase in ankle strain, which means an increased chance of injury on a long walk. Trail running shoes are softer and more flexible, which benefits the walker in two ways. First, the sole flexes, so if you step on a rock, the foot deforms, which reduces the strain left for the ankle to absorb. Secondly, because the sole is soft, it discourages stepping on rocks.

Another thing to consider is that by training with "supportive" footwear, you are making a choice to deprive your feet and ankles from opportunities to grow stronger. Isn't the point of training to grow stronger? While I do recommend using footwear in training that will encourage the strengthening of your feet and ankles, I do have to warn you to take it easy. It can take many months for the bones in your feet and for the rest of the soft tissue around your feet and ankles to get strong enough to handle less supportive shoes. Damaged connective tissues can take half a year to a full year to heal. So keep in mind that training too hard can cause huge set backs in your training schedule and may even force you to push back your thru hike.

Thanks for this reply, it made a lot of sense to me and reinforced my experiences recently using trainers on the trail. After the first mile or so...I was babbling with joy and regretting not trying trainers earlier. And I agree also with your statements regarding walking style and foot placement.

Summit
12-26-2011, 23:57
For clarification, the Oboz I referred to were trail runners, not their hiking boots.

hikerinnc
01-06-2012, 22:50
I use to love Montrail, until they were sold out. Now I use Oboz and love em.

LIhikers
02-28-2012, 22:40
I recently bought a pair of Oboz from Campmor because of the shoes, not trail runners or boots, they had with no water proofing the Oboz were most comfortable. I recently used then on an overnighter where we unexpectedly woke up to 3 to 4 inches of snow. I wondered what kind of traction they'd have with the snow on rocks, well, I'm happy to say that the traction was fine. The only thing I'm not sure of is the shoe's durability but time will tell. I'm planning to use these shoes on a 135 mile hike in April so that will be a step to see how they work over the long haul.

Bucho
03-02-2012, 23:13
2) Don't worry about brand--just fine something that fits. Ultimately, all shoes are only as good as their fit.

As someone who watched a pair of Montrails delaminate in 2 days I've got to disagree with you on that.

STINGER1
03-03-2012, 10:49
I wore a pair of oboz from Helena mt.-waterton lake Alberta during my cdt thru in 2011.They where lighter than why I usually wear(merrell Moab ventilators which are vibram soles btw) and worked great for about 200 miles. Finally I blew the ankles out but they dint fall apart completely. I was also in some seriously rough terrain. So overall I'd rate them around a 7 out of 10. But I must say that I usually need a shoe with good heels as I tend to blow them out after awhile.