PDA

View Full Version : data book/thruhiker companion

taylorbena
03-10-2005, 07:03
would I be ok just bringing one of these books? If so which one is more valuable?

TJ aka Teej
03-10-2005, 08:59
Use the Companion for planning, bring the DataBook on your hike. ATC members can purchase both for less than $15 at: http://www.atctrailstore.org/ You can also view the Companion online for free at: http://www.aldha.org/

Jaybird
03-10-2005, 09:20
Teej is right!

plan with the Hikers' Companion...then take the A.T. DATA BOOK...

if you wanna save a bit more weight...take the first few pages of the Data book....then get the next section from the DATA BOOK@ your next mail drop.
(thats what i do...it saves a few ounces...& they quickly add up!)

good luck with yer hike! :D
see u out there: Apr 28-May 5 Hot Springs to Erwin (w/"the Model T (http://www.modelt.net) crew")May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin (SOBO) May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA

Youngblood
03-10-2005, 09:21
You need both of them for planning and while you are on the trail. The Data Book for mileages and the Companion for the more detailed information related to what is actually available for resupplies and town stays.

Youngblood

Peaks
03-10-2005, 09:24
You need both of them for planning and while you are on the trail. The Data Book for mileages and the Companion for the more detailed information related to what is actually available for resupplies and town stays.

Youngblood

If you don't want to carry the entire book, then cut the binding off and only pack along the current section. Put the rest of the book in your bounce box or mail drops, along with maps of other sections.

SGT Rock
03-10-2005, 09:31
Get the Mapdanna set and then carry the parts of the Companion you need for the section you are about to hit.

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2005, 12:44
If you don't want to destroy your books by tearing them up, you can also photocopy specific sections or pages, carry what you need, and then have new sections mailed to you as you go along. This will also save pack weight.

(Be aware that some publications permit and encourage photo-copying and duplication, and some don't, so before anyone jumps down my throat about encouraging copyright infringement, be aware that different books, authors, and publishers have different feelings about this).

Youngblood
03-10-2005, 12:53
Hey Jack... this was the original question:
Data book/thruhiker companion, would I be ok just bringing one of these books? If so which one is more valuable?...and I think he got conflicting answers. Maybe you would like to weigh in with your thoughts?

Youngblood

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2005, 14:52
As to the question "Which is more valuable?", the answer is both books are useful and valuable for different reasons.

The Thru-Hiker's Companion is a tremendous resource both BEFORE your hike begins, and you'll also use it almost daily once you're out on the Trail: Both before and after your trip has started, the Companion will tell you where business and service providers are located; what their hours of operation and prices are, and so on. There will also be essential information such as location of Post Offices; places that accept and hold hiker mail; hostels, motels, food stores, ATMs, shuttlers, medical facilities, pay phones, etc. There is also a wealth of information on the Trail itself....shelters, campsites, places of special interest, etc. And finally, there will be detailed information on the places where special permits/fees are required; places where special rules/regulations are in effect; directions on how to get to and from Trailheads, etc.

The Data Book, on the other hand, will be invaluable when actually ON the Trail as you plan your daily itineary/mileage/daily destinations. It will tell you exactly how far apart shelters, campsites, water sources, and roads are, as well as telling you what you'll find at each major road crossing (Post office, town, grocery story, lodging facility, etc.) This information is not merely useful for your daily plans.....it is ESSENTIAL, especially the information on distances between shelters and water sources.

I think the answer to your question, then, is that you'll want to rely on BOTH works, as they both contain information that will immeasurably enrich your hike.

(That being said, I would be remiss in not stating that at present, I feel that Dan Bruce's "The Thru-Hiker's Handbook" is the best book of its kind, as it contains information on Trail/Town features AND Data-Book mileage information, all in one volume, which makes it very convenient to use. To be frank, I also feel that the Handbook is a superior work even without the recently added Data Book information, as its information on Trail features (shelters, campsites, water sources, etc.) is much more extensive and detailed than the Companion's; I also think that while the "town" information in both books is very similar, the Handbook has better and more detailed maps. In terms of accuracy, the books are comparable; there are minor errors in each book every year but they are
fairly insignificant. While the Companion's overall editor has done a tremendous job in recent years, there has been an unfortunate over-reliance on reports from "field editors" who don't always fact-check as thoroughly as they should; on the other hand, the main drawback to the Handbook is that its author has done almost no significant hiking on the A.T. in over a decade, and many descriptions of businesses and facilities are inevitably second-hand, as the author has no hands-on experience or personal knowledge of many of the places he's talking about, as dozens of them have sprung up since he effectively stoped hiking. Nevertheless, the info at the Handbook is, in my opinion, surprisingly accurate and complete.

I look forward to the Companion changing its format in the near future so that it incorporates and includes "Data Book" type information. I look forward to this as it will greatly improve the book, but also because both the Data Book and the Companion are important revenue-producers for both the Appalachian Trail Conference, and the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association, two fine and worthy organizations. Unfortunately, both groups have lost significant book-sale revenues in recent years because most hikers feel that the Handbook is a much more "complete" and useful work.

Lastly, I just want to remind folks that while the 2005 Companion is available on-line for free use and examination, if you decide to rely on it during your hike, I hope you'll consider buying a hard-copy "real" Companion as well: You'll have a copy of the book for future use and reference, and you'll also be helping the ATC and ALDHA, which is a fine thing to do).