PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Way

tiptoe
12-27-2011, 13:39
Saw the movie last week, and it's a lot better and more entertaining than I thought it would be. If you're seeking a vicarious hiking experience, check it out for nice views of the Camino de Santiago, a zany gang of hikers, and some heartwarming moments as well. I believe there's an existing Whiteblaze thread about this movie, but the search function wasn't cooperating. Anyone else seen it?

Doc
12-27-2011, 16:56
I thought that it was excellent. It captured many of the universal components of such treks-strange traveling companions, good,bad, and crazy townies, fatigue, strange food, too much alcohol, as well as countless other issues. Anyone who has hiked 2178 miles of the AT will identify with the movie. Maybe I don't get out much but I think that it's the best film of the year.

tiptoe
12-27-2011, 17:15
That's high praise, Doc, and I agree with most of it. Gotta admit that I flinched at the North Face product placement, but I really liked the interactions with the locals.

mark colasc
12-27-2011, 17:29
While I enjoyed the movie, I kept wondering what were they carrying in their backpacks. It seemd like they stayed at a hostel and drank a lot of wine! The guy that played the part of the over-weight Swed is in the new "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" movie. He plays the sadistic administrator.

tiptoe
12-27-2011, 17:43
and I kept thinking that a "real" backpacker would have repacked the son's remains in ziplocs to save weight!

Sly
12-27-2011, 18:11
While looking for the Way, I noticed the Way Back ...

In 1941, three men reach India from Tibet, having walked 4000 miles after escaping a Siberian gulag. The film tells their story and that of four others who escaped with them and a teenage girl who joins them in flight. The group's natural leader is Janusz, a Pole condemned by accusations secured by torturing his wife; he knows how to live in the wilds. They escape under cover of a snowstorm: a cynical American, a Russian thug, a comic accountant, a pastry chef who draws, a priest, and a Pole with night blindness. They face freezing nights, lack of food and water, mosquitoes, an endless desert, the Himalayas, and moral questions of when to leave someone behind.

Johnny Thunder
12-27-2011, 21:42
the way back was ok. just ok.

Big Suave
12-31-2011, 08:53
Saw it a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it!

quilteresq
12-31-2011, 18:05
Didn't see the movie, but my brother-in-law showed us slides from his and his wife's mountain bike trip in 2003 - we stopped at his house for a week during our long bike trip (1300+ miles for hubby and daughter, 3300+ miles for me. We envied the fountains with wine in the them that they used to fill their water bottles. None of those in Oregon/Idaho/Montana! I'd probably like the movie.