PDA

View Full Version : Lost on clothing...

B-Rabbit
12-27-2011, 14:32
I have been trying to figure out my entire clothes set up. I have a marmot precip for a rain shell and marmot zues for camp warmth... beyond that Im lost. Will someone please list a good clothing system that will work starting in early march? Thanks!!!

B-Rabbit
12-27-2011, 14:34
Trying to budget somewhat as well.

kanga
12-27-2011, 14:46
you're near me! go down to athens in a week or two and visit the goodwill store across from the mall. all of the sorority girls give their last years high end pretty north face coats to goodwill when they get their new ones this year. not kidding.
early march, lessee...
get something like a cap 3 or 4 to go under your rain pants. one thick pair of socks (wool?) for dry camp socks. fleece gloves and a watch cap. that should do for camp.
as for hiking, layer up. also at goodwill are a gazillion different long and short sleeve poly athletic shirts. one of each while walking with your zeus and gloves handy for breaks and camp. i lucked out and found a 2 oz ll bean ul windbreaker at goodwill in franklin last year for $2, brand new. i used that for short breaks instead of pulling out my down. also helped on the lookouts when i stopped for peace or pictures.
i wear cap 1's in the winter under my skirt while hiking. both those and walking/hiking/running shorts can be found at goodwill.

jacquelineanngrant
12-27-2011, 15:00
Layers are definately what you want. I use Patagonia cap 3 baselayer. Top that with a short sleve polyester tee, and hiking skirt or shorts. I made myself a fleece skirt for camp this year. The Marmot precip is great, works as a windbreaker as well. I don't do rain pants. A rain skirt works much better, more ventilation, less sweat, but you will have to make it yourself. I also have a down jacket for camp, gloves and hat. You will want to have one set of clothes that you never hike in for camp. I usually carry 3 pair of socks plus sock liners.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 15:06
The Asheville, NC craigslist page is pretty good. I have gotten some good stuff there. I hiked with the cap 3 by patagonia they were great with a fleece pullover, warm hat, some glows (outdoor research makes a good cheap one). The thing with gloves, get something where you don't have the major loft like primaloft cuz you end up having to take them off when you are using your hands. I wore the Columbia Titanium covetable pants when it was cooler and then switched to a kilt. Darn Tough socks, I swear by, warm, durable. Just don't over think the clothing issue cuz you will just end up sending some stuff ahead of you or home. On some things you can go cheap, but with the rain gear and some other things, you get what you pay for.

ALso meant to add, the columbia or Mtn Hardware button up titanium type shirts are sweet. They dry really quickly and are really versatile when it comes to hot and cold temps.

B-Rabbit
12-27-2011, 15:43
Thanks for the info. Im thinking...

3 pairs of socks( one for camp only)
light base layer (pants/shirt)
mid-weight base layer (pants/shirt)
Short sleeve shirt
Shorts
Fleece for warmth during breaks
Hiking pants
Rain pants
Rain shell
Down jacket (camp only)

Is this enough and does it make sense?

kanga
12-27-2011, 16:18
yes, good sense. you could lighten your load a little though by wearing either the light or mid pants with your shorts and leaving the hiking pants. you could always wear your rain pants if it's super cold or windy. unless you just like pants for hiking. too, you could loose the mid weight shirt layer and use the fleece/rain jacket combo on breaks. also, you're really going to want gloves. sounds like a good list.

moldy
12-27-2011, 16:27
It's hard to get any kind of common answers when it comes to clothing. When I headed North from Springer I had way too much clothing. I ended up changing everything out and adjusting as I went. By the time I finished I had the clothes on my back and a raincoat.

HiKen2011
12-27-2011, 16:28
yes, good sense. you could lighten your load a little though by wearing either the light or mid pants with your shorts and leaving the hiking pants. you could always wear your rain pants if it's super cold or windy. unless you just like pants for hiking. too, you could loose the mid weight shirt layer and use the fleece/rain jacket combo on breaks. also, you're really going to want gloves. sounds like a good list.

+1 on all that Kanga said

leaftye
12-27-2011, 17:04
Base layers suck. I hate them. They're a real pain to put on and remove when your body temperature changes. I'd rather use a puffy exterior layer that's easy to put on and easy to ventilate as needed.

The only time I like base layers is when I have to dress pretty, like going to work in a cold office or church. Then a base layer can go under my nice clothes. Fortunately I don't have to wear pretty clothes when hiking and can wear what works well instead.

Don H
12-27-2011, 19:16
After section hiking one third of the AT I was lost on what clothing to bring on my thru this year. I knew nothing about the weather in GA in mid March so I posted the same question you have. Here the link with some good info, maybe it will help.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?70421-Clothing-for-a-Thru-Starting-3-13!&highlight=

Don H
12-27-2011, 19:34
B-Rabbit, you didn't say but I'll assume you're thru-hiking. I started with the list in the link above. My clothing changed throughout the hike. In Parisburg I went to 2 sets of clothes which consisted of a synthetic T shirt, lightweight nylon shorts and socks. Later I ditch the rain gear completely. Then when I got to NH I went back to the first gear list minus the wind shirt and DryDucks and went with a my old Marmot PreCip and was glad I had it.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 21:04
Just remember you will rarely have to go more than 3-5 days without a laundromat or some means in which to clean your stuff. I sent home so much from Franklin, NC. One way I kept somewhat clean was to clean out my sleeping bag. Aside from washing it 4 different times Just use a cloth and wipe it down with denatured alcohol. Really knocks out some of the stench that can get in a bag, especially after a few sweaty weeks in Virginia. Usually helped to help a little with how rank you get by the time you get to Pa. I ended up going through a few different shirts. They seemed to always be the first. If you find some at a cheap prices, maybe get a couple and send em in a Virginia mail drop.

Chaco Taco
12-27-2011, 21:05
I have been trying to figure out my entire clothes set up. I have a marmot precip for a rain shell and marmot zues for camp warmth... beyond that Im lost. Will someone please list a good clothing system that will work starting in early march? Thanks!!!

Just pointing it out:)

B-Rabbit
12-28-2011, 14:05
Just pointing it out:)

Do you disagree with starting early March?

B-Rabbit
12-28-2011, 14:06
Thanks for all of the info.!

B-Rabbit
12-28-2011, 14:11
B-Rabbit, you didn't say but I'll assume you're thru-hiking. I started with the list in the link above. My clothing changed throughout the hike. In Parisburg I went to 2 sets of clothes which consisted of a synthetic T shirt, lightweight nylon shorts and socks. Later I ditch the rain gear completely. Then when I got to NH I went back to the first gear list minus the wind shirt and DryDucks and went with a my old Marmot PreCip and was glad I had it.

Great post!! Exactly what I was looking for! I think Ill mimic your posted list.

Don H
12-29-2011, 16:50
Always happy to help! Good luck.
Are you doing a journal online?

Chaco Taco
12-29-2011, 21:43
Do you disagree with starting early March? no someone had pointed out that you didn't state whether you were going to thru hike, I was just showing that you had, thats all. Start in MArch if that works for you. Just know it can still get cold.

B-Rabbit
12-30-2011, 11:25
I haven't decided on doing an online journal or not. Where would be a good spot to post one? Do most create a small website for their journals?
I feel like I know what the GA/NC mountains will throw at me in March but I guess we'll find out if I really am prepared then!

Chaco Taco
12-30-2011, 11:42
Id do a blog. Its free and I had a whole host of issues with Trailjournals being slow and not uploading pictures so i just gave up. The google blogger is really nice.

B-Rabbit
12-30-2011, 12:00
Nice! Think I'll do that. I think the family would like that too.

wildkitty
12-31-2011, 05:58
nike dri-fit t-shirt with ventilated back is best hiking shirt its breathable synthetic and drys fast also nike dry fit ventilated on side panel shorts great combo

Don H
12-31-2011, 08:28
I did Trailjournals. http://trailjournals.com/donhoward
(http://trailjournals.com/donhoward)