PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on G pack/Racer performance?

2XL
03-10-2005, 09:14
I am looking to get a light 2900-3100ci pack. Price is indeed a consideration.
I found a G pack(3100ci, 2lb 14oz for $60 or a Go Lite Racer(2950ci, 1 lb 9oz I think) for $80.
I am leaning toward the G pack for it's extra 150ci.
I will be using the pack for weeklongs and weekends.
Anybody have experience with one of these packs?

bulldog49
03-10-2005, 11:09
The G pack has been updated for 2005, supossedly made more durable, is a bit smaller and heavier. I've seen the 2004 version at reduced prices several places. I've read numerous reports that the 2004 model had a lot of problems with seams giving out. The new version only costs $135, so it's probably safer to go with that.

erichlf
03-10-2005, 12:15
I have the Race. I like the pack. It is very comfortable. For me it is too heavy I modified it a bit. I removed the neoprene, and I do not use the top. The back has padding, so I used it as a sleeping pad, and this worked very well for me. This is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever used, but I probably would have rather had the Team pack. These bags have lots of extras that can be removed to lighten the weight up. I would definately recomend one of those packs, but maybe you might want to look at one of the by Gossamer Gear. If I had seen those first I would have went that direction.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/xdpy/s/Packing/index.html
These packs are really cheap and super light weight. I like alot of the features these bags have. They seem to be excellent packs, and in fact I am designing my own pack after the G5 and G6.

schwenkler
03-10-2005, 13:22
I have used the Race almost exclusively with a 3/4 Ridgerest, folded up, on the inside of the pack next to my back. This helped give the pack "suspension." It is a very comfortable pack, and I credit this to the mesh-type padding used on the straps and pack. Gossamer Gear uses a similar material on their packs, I believe. Two problems I had with the Race:

Your Mileage May Vary, but I cannot carry more than 20 lbs in it comfortably. I weighed the pack at the hostel in Glencliff, NH, with my largest ever load (including food + water) packed into it. It was 25 lbs, and sure I made it up Moosilauke but it wasn't too comfortable.

When the pack was empty (e.g. last day before resupply) it would sag and droop a lot, because it has no real way to compress the load.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably get a different pack, like a ULA or Six Moon Designs. But either pack might be fine for you. Figure out how much weight will you have in the pack, whether it will fit, and if possible take the packs you're considering for a "test-drive," compare them, and return the ones you don't want.

chknfngrs
03-10-2005, 19:41
the new G Pack is much tougher than it's predecessor. They shrunk the bag, but made it with thicker silnylon and reinforced in the important spots. My G Pack was great help in lightening my load up. Be sure to try it on if possible. Remember it's what you carry your gear in. But, you have a good price on a G Pack in my opinion. I love their new line of the antigravity.